Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 942340 times)

Himu

Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - NJPW Road to New Beginning 1/30
« Reply #1920 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
Don't forget Yoshi Tatsu
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1921 on: January 30, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
Tajiri was over. But only when he was a comedy character.
nat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1922 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
Don't forget Yoshi Tatsu

I'm forgetting Yoshi Tatsu...on purpose.   :P  Like the WWE wanted me to.  The guy made it nowhere and was sent back down to NXT before quitting, IIRC.

Tajiri was over. But only when he was a comedy character.

That was in the early 2000s.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1923 on: January 30, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
Anyone that has a story where they cut off Val Venis' dick is okay by me.

Himu

« Reply #1924 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
that was so bad :lol
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1925 on: January 30, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
Beyond terrible, but it's promoted as a fantastic storyline on the wwe network. I swear it's in at least 1/3 of the Monday Night War episodes lol

El Babua

« Reply #1926 on: January 30, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
I liked the stereotypical dubbed Kai en Tai. I think it was Shane's voice and Taker's for the "EEEVVIIIL".

Himu

« Reply #1927 on: January 30, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
so are we including lord tensai as a japanese wrestler
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1928 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
Anyone that has a story where they cut off Val Venis' dick is okay by me.

"I CHOPPY CHOPPY YOUR PEE-PEE?"  Classic wrestlecrap, man!   :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »

ど助平

El Babua

« Reply #1930 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

Of course. But dude never got over unfortunately. They trotted him out at the worst possible time.

Himu

« Reply #1931 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Beyond terrible, but it's promoted as a fantastic storyline on the wwe network. I swear it's in at least 1/3 of the Monday Night War episodes lol

OH I KNOW! That's the best part! They promote it as some special moment when it was awful :rofl
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1933 on: January 30, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1934 on: January 30, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1935 on: January 30, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
Help me finish me phrase my question for HHH through the Steve Austin show. I'm trying to bring up the fact that WWE always treats their things like it's fake, but then are suddenly surprised when the audience revolts against their choices. It's like, you can't act like it's not fake, and then at the same time insult your audience's intelligence, you know? How should I end this?

The WWE currently acknowledges that what you're watching isn't real and is a scripted story event. The other week you [HHH] publicly consoled - on live air - a child despite being a heel character; Steve's podcast - which is going to be featured on WWE Network - openly talks at length about pro wrestling within the context that the entire thing is just one big storyline; the WWE Network features shows like Legends of Wrestling or WWE 24/7 that fully embrace the fact that pro wrestling is a work. Currently in the WWE storyline, Seth Rollins is being backed by the authority on the basis of being hand chosen. In real life, Roman Reigns is actually Seth Rollins: a hand chosen man picked to lead the WWE into the future. Given the fan response to Seth Rollins, and the inerrant fact that WWE chooses to admit time and again that wrestling is indeed a work, what were WWE expecting with Roman Reigns in terms of fan reception when all of WWE's current fan favorites were thrown out of the Royal Rumble without a hint of bravado or showmanship in order to protect Reigns? WWE fully acknowledges that we're watching is fake, but is suddenly surprised when they insult the audience's intelligence. WWE continues to act like the internet wrestling community is a minority, when most if not all modern wrestling fans consume or discuss wrestling on the internet, yet WWE continues to make storylines as if we're not all in on the joke. The dissonance is odd.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:26:10 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1936 on: January 30, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »
Caught up on NXT.

- like the championship tournament.
- Corbin is still boring as fuck and I have no idea why he is over with the NXT crowd. He's Bores McBores Bore and nothing changes that. I greatly prefer Bull.
- Balor's entrance has now lost any sense of unpredictability and has grown stagnant. He should save the theatrics for only ppv's. It is also too fucking long and should end when he gets on the top rope. I also have to say his singles work continues to not really impress me. I think he does a lot better in tag teams and multi-man match ups (i.e. Kota v Low-Ki v Devitt). The more neutered WWE style also does him no favors and strong style suited him much more. As it is now, there's no real meat to his matches and he's kinda all flash.
- Bailey heel turn makes no sense given her character and entrance
- while NXT is the best WWE show, it suffers from the same issues as the main roster, such rematches after a major PPV, even if they ARE great.
- Hideo has much better in ring skill than Balor. His ability to get the audience behind him is fantastic. He's a great in ring story teller as well. His crowd interaction ability is also really good, stuff that gets them pumped. He just needs to work on his entrance, I think.
- Owens and Zayn is fantastic as usual.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1937 on: January 31, 2015, 02:21:09 AM »
Help me finish me phrase my question for HHH through the Steve Austin show. I'm trying to bring up the fact that WWE always treats their things like it's fake, but then are suddenly surprised when the audience revolts against their choices. It's like, you can't act like it's not fake, and then at the same time insult your audience's intelligence, you know? How should I end this?

The WWE currently acknowledges that what you're watching isn't real and is a scripted story event. The other week you [HHH] publicly consoled - on live air - a child despite being a heel character; Steve's podcast - which is going to be featured on WWE Network - openly talks at length about pro wrestling within the context that the entire thing is just one big storyline; the WWE Network features shows like Legends of Wrestling or WWE 24/7 that fully embrace the fact that pro wrestling is a work. Currently in the WWE storyline, Seth Rollins is being backed by the authority on the basis of being hand chosen. In real life, Roman Reigns is actually Seth Rollins: a hand chosen man picked to lead the WWE into the future. Given the fan response to Seth Rollins, and the inerrant fact that WWE chooses to admit time and again that wrestling is indeed a work, what were WWE expecting with Roman Reigns in terms of fan reception when all of WWE's current fan favorites were thrown out of the Royal Rumble without a hint of bravado or showmanship in order to protect Reigns? WWE fully acknowledges that we're watching is fake, but is suddenly surprised when they insult the audience's intelligence. WWE continues to act like the internet wrestling community is a minority, when most if not all modern wrestling fans consume or discuss wrestling on the internet, yet WWE continues to make storylines as if we're not all in on the joke. The dissonance is odd.

You already know the answer to this. It'll be "We're not in the pro wrestling business, we're in the entertainment business. Seeing a reaction like this shows that we have an engaged fanbase" or some such thing.

Himu

« Reply #1938 on: January 31, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »

You already know the answer to this. It'll be "We're not in the pro wrestling business, we're in the entertainment business. Seeing a reaction like this shows that we have an engaged fanbase" or some such thing.

Lance Storm put it in a much better than way than I did:

January 30, 2015

I just want to touch on the Royal Rumble finish and the fan backlash to the Roman Reigns win a little bit here. I was just listening to Talk is Jericho (PodcastOne.com) and Chris had Dave Meltzer on to discuss the Royal Rumble. Dave brought up a point just quickly off the cuff about why the crowd might have turned on Roman that hadn't been mentioned before and it really struck a chord with me. I wanted to highlight that point here. I'm not going to make the point at the start; I want to tell the story that sets up the point to see if you can come to the conclusion as I make it.

For over 15 years now WWE has been doing the Evil Owner/Heel Authority figure story line. The main focus of WWE programming for almost 2 decades has been that the people in charge of WWE are selfish egomaniac heels that don't give a damn about what fans think; they constantly throw obstacles in front of the top baby faces to hold them down and gloat when they succeed and really rub the fan's nosed in it whenever possible. Vince did it to Austin, Laurenitis did it to Cena, and The Authority has been doing it to Daniel Bryan. Think about this for a minute. This has been the primary focus for almost 20 years. If you are a WWE fan under the age of 30 (started watching at 6-10 yrs old) this is all you know. Your entire experience as a WWE fan has been: the people running WWE are bad evil people who don't care what you think.

Further more over the last 18 months The Authority has specifically talked about "The Face of the Company" and how they are going to control who that is. From Summer Slam 2013 until Bryan was stripped of the Title in May last year, it was all about how Daniel Bryan was the best, the fans loved him, but the evil owners of WWE wanted to keep him down and keep him from being the top guy. This angle included the fans; they had the "Yes movement", they did the "Occupy RAW" show where "fans" got to stand up against the evil owners to give their guy a chance.

WWE blended real life and storyline into the show in an attempt to blur the lines of reality, which really fired fans up. Fans supported their guy and turned on anyone associated with The Authority. Fans loved Daniel Bryan and wanted him to succeed and many of them knew that much of what The Authority was saying about him were the legitimately held beliefs of the company.

So now we come to the Royal Rumble 2015 and it's time to reap what you sow. Nearly 20 years of WWE Bosses are evil and don't care what you think, then almost 2 years of WWE owners pick the face of the company not you fans, and now the guy they have win the Rumble and hope will be cheered, is someone most fans know is the chosen face of the company, handpicked by those very same Evil Owners. What do you expect to happen? It's almost a Pavlovian response at this point, isn't it?

You could argue that the fans turning on Roman Reigns at the Royal Rumble was actually a credit to WWE booking and storytelling. The fans reacted exactly as they have been conditioned to. Fans have been taught that WWE corporate is the enemy, and we should not accept anything that they are in favour of, and that's exactly what they did. The lines have been blurred, so it doesn't matter that Roman isn't the handpicked guy in Storyline; smart fans, Philly fans, and certainly WrestleMania fans are going to know that he's the handpicked guy just the same, and as a result he's going to face their wrath.

Lance Storm

http://www.stormwrestling.com/013015.html
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #1939 on: February 03, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
The Stone Cold podcast with Triple H was pretty good.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1940 on: February 03, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »
Raw was pretty good too. Even Roman looked pretty good out there. The spear he dropped on Big Show at the end was cool

He's gonna smash Bryan at Fastlane tho  :-\

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1941 on: February 03, 2015, 12:49:16 AM »
It does seem they are reverting him back to Shield era Roman. Which is good. Plus the two spears he threw at Show and Joey were pretty fantastic. Making me remember why I joined the Roman Empire to begin a year ago.
nat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1942 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:05 AM »
He ended up doing a diving headbutt into Show really. If he wants to win me back over literally killing Big Show is a fine place to start. :lol
Hi

Himu

« Reply #1943 on: February 03, 2015, 01:11:42 AM »
Diving headbutt would really work great for Roman's psychology. Include body slams, the outer ring kick, and a diving headbutt to the mid section to set up the spear, and make the entire match one long set up for the spear. Body slam fucks their torso/back, out ring kick fucks up the neck/face, flying headbutt to mid-section increases damage built over from the body slam, and superman punch to increase damage done to the kick to the face, and have spear end it to combine all of this damage done to the mid and upper body.

Realistic psychology. :obama

Add some strong style-esque elbows and I'll be back on the Roman train.

It seems he's desperately trying to improve from what I've read. I saw the gif of the spear on Show and he's really adding his own flair to it. He's definitely starting to try. Now he needs to work on his cardio.
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1944 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
NJPW World is free for the month of Feb so, uh sign the fuck up
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1945 on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:41 PM »
I haven't seen Road to New Beginning yet!
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1946 on: February 05, 2015, 03:11:30 PM »
NXT had some great stuff this week.

Hooooooooooribad commentary though but the Balor / Itami match was pretty damn good

Tonya

Trent Dole

Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - NXT Takeover: Rival; Feb 11
« Reply #1947 on: February 07, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
People seem intrigued by the SCSA interviews with HHH and Vince I guess.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #1948 on: February 07, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »
Got in on this WWE network free month thing. Other than NXT, what should I check out aside from nostalgia trips?

Aside from nostalgia trips and NXT? How familiar are you with NWA? Watch some of those ppv's. If you want an inside look at industry and various topics, and want to learn some things, Legends of Wrestling.
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1949 on: February 07, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
If you want to watch something that will blow your mind, check out Tuesday Night Titans.  a comedy / variety show featuring wrestlers aping SNL
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1950 on: February 07, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
you all need Jesus Zack Sabre Jr

Here is a spreadsheet compiling a many excellent matches of his on daily motion
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LkJbyoLg5FZYr3neWVZf1eX99CI2COPFQMXY_9Lf0Kg/edit#gid=0
Tonya

archie4208

« Reply #1951 on: February 10, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
I hope Triple H's daughter doesn't Google Seth Rollins anytime soon.  :teehee

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He accidentally leaked a nude selfie of NXT wrestler Zahra Schreiber and his girlfriend leaked some nude selfie of Rollins.
[close]

archie4208

« Reply #1952 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Word is they're going to try and ignore it.  (according to dirtsheets lawl)

Rollins already apologized on Twitter.

I think he'll be fine, especially considering he's one of the top guys in the company.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1953 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »

Too bad, he's a good wrestler and was just getting big.

ah you saw the photos?
Tonya

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1954 on: February 10, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »

ah you saw the photos?

He ain't that big. Hence why she sent that out I assume. That chick though :mouf
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1955 on: February 10, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »

ah you saw the photos?

:lol

Nah. Saw the girl though :lawd

:rejoice

NSFW

[close]

:dead
YMMV

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1956 on: February 10, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
Damn

Himu

« Reply #1957 on: February 10, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
Link to nude Rollins pics
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1958 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »
Seth's body :noah :drool I can't believe they have him hide that chest, abs, and arms under that stupid vest.

omg. :noah
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1959 on: February 11, 2015, 01:30:56 AM »
he doesnt wrestle in the vest
nat

Himu

« Reply #1960 on: February 11, 2015, 01:36:50 AM »
Yes, but it's rare to see such a beautiful glimpse of his body when wrestling. :drool When wrestling, wrestlers most exposed body body part that's easy to pay attention is their butt and Seth's butt is average.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1961 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
Queen of Ice
Wrestling Butt Expert

?

Couldn't watch RAW this week.  It was yawn-inducing after a few minutes, so nothing from me on that.  Read one report that thinks WWE is not only fucking up their forced-face Reigns push but now Bryan as well.  Good job, 'E.  This is Mania season and you still can't keep me interested.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1962 on: February 11, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Are any of those pseudo documentaries about wrestlers on the WWE network? I wanna watch the Punk one and the Austin one.
Yeah there's a bunch of them on the network. Punk's, Austin's, HHH's, two Batista ones, and a bunch more.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1963 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
Originals - > Beyond The Ring. I recommend watching the Paul Heyman one. It's really good.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1964 on: February 11, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
Seconding the Heyman one.  I didn't know a thing about the man but I was still captivated
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1965 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
Ultimate warrior one is great
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1966 on: February 11, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
That came out like the week Warrior died. They did a great job on it.
IYKYK

dkdk

« Reply #1967 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:24 PM »
my boo sasha won the belt :noah

archie4208

« Reply #1968 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:09 PM »
Zayn vs Owens in a nutshell

[close]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1969 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
Another very good NXT show!

I'll give it a day to discuss spoilers in case anyone watches on Hulu but goddamn what a show
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1970 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:17 AM »
Hideo/Breeze - pretty good. I'm OK with them not pushing Hideo to the moon and letting him build slowly. He still needs more time to adjust. Can't wait till they debut the GTS.

Corbin/Bull - shrug. Barely remember anything about it. Though Corbin sitting on the chair kicking Bull away was kinda cool

Lucha Dragons/The Other Guys - awful. I mean, seriously awful. Felt like neither team knew what the hell they were doing.

Neville/Balor - awesome. Not AMAZING. Kinda known quantity here, honestly. lots of fun spots and had a good pace. Was a little disappointing Balor's entrance getup wasn't more different.

Charlotte/Banks/Lynch/Bailey - MOTN honestly.  Girls fuckin' killed it out there.

Owens/Zayne - pretty fuckin' awesome. Surprising ending.

So overall, good second half, not so great first half.
nat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1971 on: February 12, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »
I'm up early watching NJPW's New Beginning and this was a great little thing from the Honma / Ibushi match

Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1972 on: February 12, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
did you guys notice the "ZPAK" chant when the doctors were checking up on Zayne?

it was kind of funny.
nat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1973 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
that Bull / Corbin match was garbage.  I expected something great from No DQ but we got a half-hearted chair.  I think that the Neville / Balor match was far more brutal.
Tonya

Trent Dole

« Reply #1974 on: February 13, 2015, 02:58:49 AM »
Smackdown this week had an hour of DB doing stuffs if you're keen on that sorta thing. Roman Reigns is hanging about too cause it's a tag team turmoil match wherein the two of them basically bury the entire tag division by beating them one after the other, ending with Kane and Big Show. Again.
Hi

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1975 on: February 13, 2015, 07:05:52 AM »

Banks is the best
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1976 on: February 15, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
I'm really enjoying watching Jay White work in NJPW. He made his debut recently so you can easily catch up on him.  He is a young lion who seems to specialize in chain wrestling but he did well with Tiger Mask against reDRagon yesterday.

I just wanted to pop in with this Mácara Dorada spot

Tonya

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #1977 on: February 15, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »
Jay White's solid for a guy who's just starting out. Sho Tanaka and Yohei Komatsu on the other hand are already really good imo. It's too bad neither of them are heavyweights. I think that's one of the big problems NJPW is going to have to deal with going forward - their roster will continue aging and racking up injuries, but there's almost no young talent around to eventually take over (besides Okada). Might as well enjoy it while it lasts though.

I've only seen Balor/Neville from the NXT show, but that was a great match. I think they could debut Balor on Raw and have him in the title picture in no time. He's just as good as anyone on the main roster and he fits right in with the current crop of main eventers (Bryan, Rollins, Orton, etc).

The two NJPW New Beginning shows were pretty good as well, but they weren't up to their usual standard. The junior tag 3-way, Ibushi vs. Honma, and AJ vs. Tanahashi were the highlights of the Osaka show. Nothing special, but fun matches all around. Ishii vs. Honma from the Sendai show was amazing. I'd still go with Nakamura vs. Ibushi as the MOTY so far, but that's right up there with it. Both of those guys just destroy themselves every time they have a big match. Nakamura vs. Nagata for the IC championship was disappointing (the video package they had for Nagata before the match was great, though). The finish came out of nowhere and the crowd was obviously drained after seeing that incredible Honma/Ishii match, so they never really got it going. Oh well.

Next up is the New Japan Cup and I'm thinking it's going to a predictable Okada win. I don't need to see AJ vs. Okada or Tanahashi again any time soon. They always have really good or great main events, but they've already done them several times. I really hope they do something different, but I don't see AJ main eventing Sumo Hall against Naito, Shibata, Ibushi, Goto, etc.  :-\
BiSH

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1978 on: February 16, 2015, 06:05:07 AM »
The aging athletes is one of the first things i noticed.  They have young lions but no real young superstars it seems.  The do seem wiling to have talent from other companies come in, so perhaps they will continue to just do that? 

for NXT go and watch the four way women's match.  It's good.

still making my way through New Beginning Sendai and this was nuts.  The bravery of doing this from the top to the floor
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:37:21 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1979 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:47 AM »
I thought Raw was good this week. IC and US feuds getting nice build up and airtime, Gold and Stardust feud is shaping up, Ric Flair was there, Prime Time Players reunited, and Bryan/Reigns feud popped off pretty big with an actual good brawl to end the show.

Pretty happy with this week. Roman especially has seen a lot of improvement since the Rumble.