Author Topic: SMT4 THREAD (register Fire Emblem + SMT4 = $30 eShop credit)  (Read 37747 times)

Himu

Re: SMT4 THREAD (register Fire Emblem + SMT4 = $30 eShop credit)
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2013, 03:18:10 AM »
Watching that video reminded me something.

Where the fuck is this games moon cycle/counter? ???
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
SMT4 THREAD (register Fire Emblem + SMT4 = $30 eShop credit)
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:29 AM »
They ditched it because y'all can't handle it.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »
Loving the SMT franchise fanservice, btw. Fought a gaian in Tokyo. Hopefully I encounter a messian.

The more I play, the more the game is more in line with SMT1 and 2 than 3, especially in terms of creating a build and atmosphere.

Too bad there's like only two people here including me who have played those games.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:00:34 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:38 AM »

:bow

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
Can't wait to dive in my post apocalyptic cyberpunk game today.

Be knockin' fools. Today's goal? Do some story, get my dex to like 60 or some shit.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
Quote from: Jinfash;71311166
I'm assuming the more demons I have in my party the less xp I earn after battles as it's an even split, correct?

Also, I've just hit level 10 and I'm unsure how to spend my app points. So far I've spent them on +1 MC skill slot, +1 demon skill slot, and 6 demon party slots. The latter which I regret, I shouldn't have spent that many. So what's the consensus on most worthwhile upgrades this early in the game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71311166&postcount=4323

Hmmm, tip for beginners:

- When Burroghs starts allowing you to buy your own apps, concentrate on demon related ones first. Concentrate on Demon Skill +1 the first few levels. I concentrated on Expand Stock and talking related apps at first, and that was a mistake because the demons I fuse have REALLY good skills lists and I can only pick from four skills. It probably seems best to mix it between demon skill +1 and and skill expansion 1 (for the mc). By the time you get to Tokyo, both demons and your mc should have a full skill list, allowing you to concentrate on talking apps for the time being, and that's when talking gets important beyond scouting anyways.

Really wish you could reallocate app points.

:beli
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
I'm more pissed that Jinfash doesnt JUST PLAY THE FUCKING GAME

Why does everyone look at "whats the best build" when the game FIRST COMES OUT
fat

Himu

« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Well, to be fair, the games been out in Japan for a while now. Dex is definitely > than str so far.

I'm making a physical build (dex) with high luck for dat crit damage. That's what I usually roll in SMT.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
Got my copy from Amazon. They shipped it in a padded envelope and the box was all smooshed. I'm never ordering any limited edition stuff from them again.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Mine came in a similar sho.
dur

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
Yea, my Skyward Sword box was smooshed. I complained and got some money back.
fat

Himu

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
Played more during lunch. Game is just off the charts with quality.

There's so many items I can't afford. When I can, it feels so satisfying.
There are quests I can't complete, without the perfect strategy and enough will power and confidence. Then there's quests I can't complete period.
There's a bunch of areas I can't get to but can see.

In terms of exploration and general design, I haven't played such a meticulously designed jrpg since Final Fantasy XII, maybe going as far as Digital Devil Saga series or SMT3. This game is pretty much shoving its penis down the collective genres throat for what happened in past generation of jrpgs. It is shoving it balls deep.

Guys, get this. How come I'm the only one playing? I'm so sorry that I was angsty and dismissive towards this game pre-release. If SMT4 were a person, I would kiss its feet.

After Ueno the game really opens up for real. You can go to three different locations, all with their own hazards. There's a shit ton of demons to fuse and capture at this point, and I'm just getting started with exploring this part of town.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
Yea, my Skyward Sword box was smooshed. I complained and got some money back.

Yeah, I complained too, not like I'm gonna return it cuz this shit needs played ASAP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
Guys, get this. How come I'm the only one playing? I'm so sorry that I was angsty and dismissive towards this game pre-release. If SMT4 were a person, I would kiss its feet.

I'll be shaft deep later tonight... I don't take my 3DS to work, and I was finishing Project Boob Zone last night.
fat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
DIS GAME

I love it

I love it

I love it with every party of my body (including my pee pee)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am kinda glad I skipped Soul Hackers so I could remain at maximum hype. it's like JRPG edging  :aah
[close]
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm glad I barely touched Soul hackers.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
Fucking

:rejoice :bow :bow :rejoice
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

Guys, get this. How come I'm the only one playing?

i have it but have only put in two hours or so with it.  sadly this is a stupid busy week for me.  sunday will be my first day i can spend any appreciable time with it
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
I'm still in the newb dungeon.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »
Got mad withdrawal from my portable cyberpunk jrpg. :(
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
how does this compare to strange journey?
<----

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
Quote from: Jinfash;71311166
I'm assuming the more demons I have in my party the less xp I earn after battles as it's an even split, correct?

Also, I've just hit level 10 and I'm unsure how to spend my app points. So far I've spent them on +1 MC skill slot, +1 demon skill slot, and 6 demon party slots. The latter which I regret, I shouldn't have spent that many. So what's the consensus on most worthwhile upgrades this early in the game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71311166&postcount=4323

Hmmm, tip for beginners:

- When Burroghs starts allowing you to buy your own apps, concentrate on demon related ones first. Concentrate on Demon Skill +1 the first few levels. I concentrated on Expand Stock and talking related apps at first, and that was a mistake because the demons I fuse have REALLY good skills lists and I can only pick from four skills. It probably seems best to mix it between demon skill +1 and and skill expansion 1 (for the mc). By the time you get to Tokyo, both demons and your mc should have a full skill list, allowing you to concentrate on talking apps for the time being, and that's when talking gets important beyond scouting anyways.

Really wish you could reallocate app points.

:beli

I missed your post, sis.

As for what Demi said, I don't think there's anything wrong with checking up on how everyone else is doing/did (JP release). I know this reinforces the idea of my incredible indecisiveness in games, but really it's 1. I don't feel wasting too much time figuring the basics 2. Half the time I end up doing my own thing anyways lol.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »
My least favorite thing is the scarcity of macca vs those compendium prices. :whew unlike persona, I stopped overwriting them due to the skyrocketing prices.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »
Fuck that. Man up and overwrite
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Not when prices jump 400% after a couple levels and skill unlocks lol.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »
how does this compare to strange journey?

Makes it its bitch based on the 13 hours I've clocked.

Macca is a commodity. Getting 2k macca on one run in Tokyo is GOOD MONEY at this point. This factors into everything because you be paying up the ass for things in macca from armor to compendium prices.

High compendium prices forces you to be more experimental with your demon roll out and make less stupid mistakes in terms of customization and skill set.

SMT4 has tension, SJ didn't.

Better atmosphere. If you love cyberpunk  you should love this. As an extension, IV has an actual world rather than the barren waste of SJ and even 3. It is more akin to SMT2 in 3d.

Better story and characters. I'm actually interested in this games story and where it goes.

High difficulty. The latest set of bosses have been utter cheese balls compared to Medusa but my level 18 mc has almost been wiped out by enemies over ten levels below me just like in SMT3 but worse just because I let my guard down. I never really found SJ that challenging.

Better sense of customization. You've got apps which spend app points on (fusing in mid battle! Translating demon language!), weapons, bullets, all kinds of armor.

Better music.

So far the only thing I'd say SJ has better of are dungeons but they're still Wizardry likes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:43:12 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
Speaking of story, the general consensus is that it's underwhelming, but I've found the setting /really/ interesting. Nothing out of the ordinary but still interesting. The VA is also not half bad. They've clearly invested in this, more than I thought they would.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
Unless the story tanks half way I'm not seeing why the reviewers think the story is bad so far.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »
Speaking of story, the general consensus is that it's underwhelming, but I've found the setting /really/ interesting. Nothing out of the ordinary but still interesting. The VA is also not half bad. They've clearly invested in this, more than I thought they would.

All the VA are pretty well-known. Atlus doesnt skimp on the VA.
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
story in SMT usually kinda wispy/interpretive. iirc nocturne got savaged in this regard as well.

Himu

« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
Smtiv is far less subtle than 3. 4 has more story - in its traditional form - in its intro than the bulk of 3 put together. Smt3 told its story through its environment and factions. So far IV doesn't do this.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Unless the story tanks half way I'm not seeing why the reviewers think the story is bad so far.

I'm only a little ahead of you (done with Shinjuku and Ikebukoro total; you'll know when you get to the "major story point" that I'm just past), but while I like the story the fact that everything is so black & white on LAW & CHAOS is definitely a step back from Nocturne or even Devil Survivor that had like 3-5 paths to choose from.

I really hate the Strange Journey approach of "THIS IS THE LAW GUY AND HIS FACTION, THIS IS THE CHAOS GUY AND HER FACTION, PICK ONE OR THE OTHER OR MAYBE END UP NEUTRAL".  It's so videogame-y.  I prefer a bunch of different characters and philosophies and an outcome that  is tuned to the choices that I make in the game.

In SMTIV from what I can tell halfway through the game:

You either agree with Gaia & Walter "STRONG EAT WEAK" Chaos, or the Asa~~~ and Jonathon and "GOVERNMENT RULES" law" and that's about it.  Very much like SJ's setup which is a shame.  SMT should be more complex and deep than that.
[close]

Otherwise I like the writing.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »
I think I'm gonna try out Soul Hackers first honestly... still feel like I need to "work my way up" to SMT proper.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »
Well, I started SMT with Nocturne and haven't really played any SMT games prior (tried playing Persona 1 but it sucked; haven't played Soul Hackers yet), so yeah...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »
Devil Survivor's paths were stoopid and vague
fat

Himu

« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
SJ didn't have tension?  Are you sure you played through that whole game, Himu-chan, or are you just guessing again?

I beat SJ on law alignment. I tried it on chaos later on but didn't finish that run. Of course it had tension - it is an smt game - but I've found smt4 to be more well rounded in regards to this. I find myself thinking more and thinking about macca and how to get x weapon and how to fuse y demon and trying to different strategies in IV. I found the bosses the hardest aspect of SJ. But the crawling wasn't too bad.

What makes smt4 more tense for me is the encounter system. Sometimes I'll daze out and get back attacked. You can get a back attack in SJ but my experience is that they're more common in 4 even with hitting the enemy first.

Of course, smt4 could be front loaded and the best of SJ is in back end. The final boss in SJ made me want to cry.

Maybe I didn't explain my words right. But if we are comparing games, I thought SJ was way easier than 3 by a wide margin - for the most part. But right now I'm finding 4 about on par with 3 in difficulty.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:03:47 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

I'm only a little ahead of you (done with Shinjuku and Ikebukoro total; you'll know when you get to the "major story point" that I'm just past), but while I like the story the fact that everything is so black & white on LAW & CHAOS is definitely a step back from Nocturne or even Devil Survivor that had like 3-5 paths to choose from.

I really hate the Strange Journey approach of "THIS IS THE LAW GUY AND HIS FACTION, THIS IS THE CHAOS GUY AND HER FACTION, PICK ONE OR THE OTHER OR MAYBE END UP NEUTRAL".  It's so videogame-y.  I prefer a bunch of different characters and philosophies and an outcome that  is tuned to the choices that I make in the game.

In SMTIV from what I can tell halfway through the game:

You either agree with Gaia & Walter "STRONG EAT WEAK" Chaos, or the Asa~~~ and Jonathon and "GOVERNMENT RULES" law" and that's about it.  Very much like SJ's setup which is a shame.  SMT should be more complex and deep than that.
[close]

Otherwise I like the writing.

DEEP AND MATOOR PLOT :heh
<----

Himu

« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
And yes Oscar is correct. Smt3 is the exception to the rule in regards to story and alignments.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
With the ridiculous compendium prices in this game, I'm not going fusion crazy as I did in Himusona. On the other hand, I love how I get to pick all the inherited skills, it slightly offsets some of the restrictions.

Himu, on average, how long are you holding onto your demons? Right now, I only fuse when I absolutely need to. I'm also so cheap that I'd sometimes track down the fused demons and talk them into joining again.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »
What I do is fuse when I get to each new area and make the demons more my level with an upgraded skill list. Then I go up around the dungeon and recruit for fusion fodder.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
Demons evolve from XP, feel free to hang onto your demons if you want. Demons gain XP in the background as well, doesnt hurt to keep them on deck.
fat

Himu

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Yeah I have like up to expand stock 5. I've had my tam Lin in my party for a while. I actually thought they took evolution out as I haven't had a single demon evolve. Guess I'm not quite attached.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Apologize, was on phone.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I've been reading the book to see how detailed it gets
fat

Himu

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
I haven't touched that thing.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
Demi what are some demon evolutions? I was expecting pixie to evolve into high pixie but then I saw high pixies portrait on the special demon fusion chart.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
Devil Survivor's paths were stoopid and vague

I really liked DS1's characters and paths.  I normally go neutral but I actually went Law in that one because it had compelling reasons.

Himu

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
I'm thinking of going law in IV. Im leaning that way anyways. Maybe Walter has reasons for me to go chaotic?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
Demi what are some demon evolutions? I was expecting pixie to evolve into high pixie but then I saw high pixies portrait on the special demon fusion chart.

The only example given is Archangel -> Principality -> Power
fat

Himu

« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
That reminds me to fuse an archangel now.
IYKYK

Damian79

« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »
I've got a question for himu if she knows answer to it.

at the time where the monestary asks you to get the relics power cable, pc, wind turbine and refrigerator for challenge quests, if you continue on with the main quest do you lose those challenge quests?.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
No.
IYKYK

Damian79

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »
Thank you.

Himu

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
They net you a 2k reward though. So I'd say just do em. You'll be able to buy good shit.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2013, 12:22:48 AM »
Just ate breakfast with Johnny and Walter. Good time to stop for tonight.
fat

Himu

« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
Shinjuku is so great.

Got wiped out by a random mob that used that multi hit poison spell three times in a row in Kabukicho. I need one of those guys in my party but they are like three levels above me.

Jack Frost evolved into Wendigo.

The terminal in Shinjuku? The boss is tough. Hardest boss since Medusa easily.

Game is perfect sequel to SMT2. Every time I go to a new area I'm filled with excitement and dread.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:23:06 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:14 AM »
SMT4 is the game that keeps on giving. I obliterated Shinjuku, I waltzed through a dungeon full of stop-grabbing-me-by-the-feet traps littered across the floor, the bright neon bright lights in Kabuki-cho district, the blood stained concrete complimenting the atmosphere; it was a rose hued prison. I struggled through the wave after wave of enemies, Blight after Blight, home menu reset after home menu reset, with a Medicine in my pocket and a high damage rifle in my hand.

I owned that shit.

It was oppressive, it was punishing me for bad mistakes, it was a monstrosity of exploration - Shinjuku is HUGE, with three different districts scattered side by side with the main portion of this story section of the game.

Then I got back to town and I found that was only half the story, as the game slapped me across the face revealing another half of Shinjuku: Shinjuku West. I sighed, I was exhausted, both in game and out. I did quick save, and recharged my batteries with a dog walk, a bit of the new JK Rowling book, catching up with friends, and anime to mentally prepare myself for the next step.

Now I'm donning my goggles and strapping it on. It's time to go back in cold turkey.

If there's one thing I can compliment SMT4, it's the overwhelming pressure and complete lack of ease. Unlike SMT3, SMT4 has safety zones and towns where you don't encounter any battles whatsoever, and yet, I don't feel any safer. I even feel more surrounded and oppressed than ever before.

I never got this feeling of unease and mental exhaustion with SMT3. Ever. Despite its challenge, and its constant invitations to kick your ass in all the times I've played it (two and a half times, maybe more).

SMT4, you're beautiful honey; you're beautiful.
IYKYK

Damian79

« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2013, 04:20:40 AM »
Medusa gets owned by Zan i believe.  I dunno about this new boss though.  BTW what is the level 15 food monster?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
So I really want to fuck around with "Gun" skills but I'm confused, a "Gun" skill is something that uses magic, right? In Soul Hackers I pretty much ignored Magic and threw everything into Physical/Gun, but this seems different (as there's no ammo, or at least not yet)

Just wondering how I should be allocating EXP, don't wanna fuck myself over yet

Damian79

« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2013, 05:22:57 AM »
you get a gun when you are near tokyo.  But i think that going magic is the best it seems.  I tried going physical but it didnt work out for me i wish i could get those points back as i am at 60 physical.
[close]