Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 557246 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #1500 on: December 16, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
You could lose 10-15 pounds easily if you went on all liquid foods.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1501 on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
You could lose 10-15 pounds easily if you went on all liquid foods.

Someone is trying to get kosma to swallow.  :teehee

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1502 on: December 16, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »
I had a pretty decent day today.

I don't know if what I had consisted of a mental breakdown, a meltdown, or what.  The recovery continues as we all talked quite a bit today.

:bow Thinking positive for a change :bow2
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #1503 on: December 16, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
I finished studying at 3am and woke up at 8am.  WHY.  MY FINAL ISN'T UNTIL 6:15PM

ARGH, now I'm just going to be tired and make stupid mistakes.  Oh and then when I get back at 10pm I have to start studying for my test the next morning  :-\  Law school ugggghhhhhh

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1504 on: December 16, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
dunno if studying and browsing EB/GAF was a good idea lol. Finished my psychology final (which was writing a paper basically) and I don't feel like studying anymore for tomorrow.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1505 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »
I finished studying at 3am and woke up at 8am.  WHY.  MY FINAL ISN'T UNTIL 6:15PM

ARGH, now I'm just going to be tired and make stupid mistakes.  Oh and then when I get back at 10pm I have to start studying for my test the next morning  :-\  Law school ugggghhhhhh

I don't know how you guys can do it.  I can never pull all nighters...or maybe I just never cared to. 

I've been at it since around 1pm and feel somewhat solid on estates and future interests.  Haven't done shit on rule against perpetuities yet...though I guess all I have to learn is who the measuring life is.  That's all accounts for about 20% of my grade.  Then I'll give everything else a good once over tomorrow (test is 9:30 friday morning.)  It's open note...I know they say not to rely on your notes, but...i'm relying on my fucking notes. :lol   

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1506 on: December 16, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
Update to my story:

What happened dude, why the rage?

I really don't know.  Maybe that is where the therapy would come in at.  I'm at a good paying job but for some reason, I feel the need to keep shooting myself in the foot.  I didn't really screw up on any of the work but my people skills with my co-workers suffered greatly.  They still do stuff for me on occasion but I can hear them talking...

Which sucks because I never really had problems with people I worked with until this job, my first career job.  Yet I am all too willing to firebomb my career with the company.  Management definitely notices but at the same time, I received a raise, bonus pay, and great reviews.  Which puzzles me a bit but I came to that realization yesterday and it was very sobering.  I feel like a complete piece of shit and I'm not sure if I can resurrect things to the way they were at the beginning.  I'll do my best to try but if I can't, I understand completely.

It's good that you're recognizing that stuff before it gets out of hand.  Maybe you can apologize to your co-workers?  If that's awkward, then just start doing little things for the people you think are the most pissed.  If you can calm down and fly straight for a few weeks, it'll be back to normal.

I apologized to the one who seemed the most pissed.  We talked for 20 minutes about various things.  We were all pretty chatty about stuff but I wasn't invited to lunch with the rest of the group  :-\  Yes, I have become that guy.

I guess there is the job transfer but it is a demotion (maybe a $8000-9000 pay cut) and I have crippling student loan debt from stupid and shitty financial decisions ($80,000).  I have nearly $20,000 in savings.  My plan might be to "live off of the savings" so to speak and put down entire paychecks towards the debt until I can get it down to more manageable levels.  The pay cut will sting because that would effectively put off paying them off for another couple of years.  The interest on my student loans are fantastic (3.1%) so if there is an opportunity to pay off as much principal as I can, now would be the time to do it before interest rates surge (if they do)

On the other hand, if I keep my job, I keep my current salary (including my new raise) but I'm in an isolated area with nothing to do and co-workers who want little to do with me.  I always had a lot of friends and never really experienced the cold shoulder before.  At first, I didn't care but as other BS kept piling up, those little rejections here and there are taking a toll.

The student loan debt is the biggest factor here.  I don't mind a pay cut but the loans man, the loans... :'(

My best strategy is to take the pay cut, start with a clean slate, hope to hell my parents will let me live with them for a few months, live off of the savings nest egg and start putting down entire paychecks towards the loans.  Then find my own place and taper off the loan payments as since they are consolidated, I can pay off little chunks of the loan so my minimums are reduced.

I've never hit this low in my life to be honest, which explains the whining.

Just needed to rant for a bit.
I'm pretty sure that's the main point of this thread anyway.

If you were really inappropriate, there's going to be repercussions, and setting things right is going to take time. It might be good practice for you? What about getting professional help, and working it through?

Going back to your parents to take a pay cut and postpone paying off your loans doesn't sound like the most progressive plan available.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1507 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
If Facebook can get between you and two friends, well, I don't know what the fuck to say.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1508 on: December 16, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »
I am waiting for tehjaybo to defriend me, since I incite so many arguments on his Facebook page :lol

His real-life friends must hate me :lol
PSP

Bebpo

« Reply #1509 on: December 16, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »

I don't know how you guys can do it.  I can never pull all nighters...or maybe I just never cared to. 

I've been at it since around 1pm and feel somewhat solid on estates and future interests.  Haven't done shit on rule against perpetuities yet...though I guess all I have to learn is who the measuring life is.  That's all accounts for about 20% of my grade.  Then I'll give everything else a good once over tomorrow (test is 9:30 friday morning.)  It's open note...I know they say not to rely on your notes, but...i'm relying on my fucking notes. :lol   

Who said anything about all nighters :P  If I start studying for my test tomorrow at 10pm, I can probably get to sleep by 3am and since the test isn't until 12 I can get a full sleep.  Unless I wake up at 8am again  :-\

It's only 4pm and I'm feeling sleepy but I gotta go in an hour for the test, so not really enough time to nap.  Gonna drink some coke and then take the test and hope for the best.  I may need to take like a 2 hour nap from 10pm-12am and then study from 12-4am.

Tomorrow is fun as well.  Get back from my test at 5pm and then just "start" studying for my Wills & Trusts final at 9am fri morning.  Thankfully the class is easy and we didn't cover much, so I can probably get it all studied by midnight and get my sleep.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1510 on: December 16, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
Haven't done shit on rule against perpetuities yet...

The rule against perpetuities was abolished in Manitoba.  :drake

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1511 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
Thats pretty fucking pathetic GS.
Drunk

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1512 on: December 16, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
Thats pretty fucking pathetic GS.

liking Muse is still worse.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1513 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »
FREEEEEDOM!

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1514 on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »
yeah gs, don't just set an ultimatum whenever your friends do dumb petty shit.  that whole story reads like middle school relationship politics.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1515 on: December 16, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »
My whiny last few posts in this thread should have been a shining example of why you shouldn't burn bridges.  I have friends who have my exes on Facebook but who gives a shit because the main point of Facebook anyway is to see how many names you can rack up on your Friends List.  Every last one counts!
🍆🍆

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Drunk

Bebpo

« Reply #1517 on: December 16, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
The waiting before a test sucks.  I AM READY, GIVE IT TO ME I shout in my tiny room :(

I am either going to destroy this test or it will be destroyed by me!

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #1518 on: December 16, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
Not sure why I'm posting this here but I'm on a plane flying to Yuma Arizona and I'm just trying to get some kind of distraction from my current situation.

My dad had total liver and kidney failure a few days ago and is currently terminal, in a coma. He was an alcoholic for as long as I can remember...I have very few memories about my dad that doesn't include him having a drink in his hand...so this wasn't completely unexpected, but it's still incredibly painful. Anyway, my dad was trying to take care of  my mom, who is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's so she doesn't understand what's going on or who I am or where she is. My dad was never up to the task of taking care of my mom, especially since the guy started drinking from the moment he woke up until the moment he passed out at night.  He'd just take my mom to the bar, sit her down and feed her a hot dog while he got blitzed.  I never understood why he insisted on doing it himself instead of getting some professional help - maybe it was to save money - who knows.  My sister and I have always been willing to pay for my mom's care but he always refused to let us get involved, and he'd get pretty angry about it. When I found out last month that my mom's weight had dropped down into the 90's, I called protective services thinking that maybe they could get my mom out of that environment and into a proper care facility but that only seemed to make the situation worse.  My sister and I pleaded with my dad to sell that damn house in Arizona and move to LA so they could be close to my sister, her husband, and their grandkids who they never have any contact with but he was absolutely against it.

So the other day I call down there to check up on them and he said wasn't feeling well.  The guy had pretty serious lower GI bleed a few weeks back so I told him that he needs to go to the hospital but he insisted it was something he ate.  I got pretty upset with him and we had it out on the phone....again.  I wish I could go back in time and have that conversation over.  I'm going to be living in a sea of regret for the rest of my life knowing that the last time I was able to talk to my dad I was a cocksucker.  I just want to tell him one last time that I love him.  No matter how much chaos and pain he put our family through, I still love him.  It hurts.

The doctor says my dad has maybe only a day or two left to live.  According to his wishes, we're not going to keep him on life support and he's currently on comfort care only so they can make his last few days as easy on him as possible.  I'm on my way down there now so I can be there when he passes and to take care of my mom.  My sister and I have power of attorney now so we'll be taking our mom to an Alzheimer's care home in LA probably in the next day or two.  There's so much to do....it's overwhelming.
Tacos

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1519 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:59 PM »
why would you be concerned with what somebody else has on their FACEBOOK PAGE.  Why would this even be an issue it makes no sense ouchouchouch my brain. 

Toddler

« Reply #1520 on: December 16, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
My whiny last few posts in this thread should have been a shining example of why you shouldn't burn bridges.  I have friends who have my exes on Facebook but who gives a shit because the main point of Facebook anyway is to see how many names you can rack up on your Friends List.  Every last one counts!
GOTTA GET EM ALL MAYNE

archie4208

« Reply #1521 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that, HSMP.  I hope your dad passes away peacefully and your mom gets proper care.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1522 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »
My condolences HSMP.  :'(

Just take it 1 day at a time.
©ZH

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1523 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about your parents, HSMP.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #1524 on: December 16, 2009, 09:41:54 PM »
I just filled in a statistical survey form for a client's business, writing each figure correct to the dollar.  When I got to the end I noticed they want all figures in thousands of dollars.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1525 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »
Me and my friends have this understanding wherein we have no say over the casual internet aquaintances we keep because, you know, we are actually friends.
AMC

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #1526 on: December 16, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
Condolences, HSMP. I hope things work out the best they can, considering the circumstances.
fek

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1527 on: December 17, 2009, 12:18:08 AM »
I just got off the phone with my Hollywood pals, and was told - quite possibly - one of the funniest stories ever. It involved Michael Bay, no less. I can't share it over the Internet, but I was kind of at a loss. :lol
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1528 on: December 17, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Jesus, if I lived by that rule, I'd have to delete the forum.

Who cares what someone's ex reads?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1529 on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »
Maybe if we are lucky she will hijack your account
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1530 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:11 AM »
MAYBE.
PSP

Bebpo

« Reply #1531 on: December 17, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »
HSMP :(  It'll be tough, but you'll get through it.

Robo

« Reply #1532 on: December 17, 2009, 01:33:26 AM »
a huge dick and a huge pussy at the same time.

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool
obo

Bebpo

« Reply #1533 on: December 17, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
I hate finals because they make me feel like I should have a 4.0 GPA and then I wonder what happens and why I lost my scholarship after the first year  :maf

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1534 on: December 17, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »
The only way to remedy the situation is to delete your facebook account.
jon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1535 on: December 17, 2009, 07:02:20 AM »
On one hand, nobody can tell you what your priorities are.  If you decide that loyalty from a friend is really important, that's your choice.  As long as you're honest with yourself about your motivations and willing to deal with the consequences, you should feel free to live your social life how you want.

On the other hand, what are you, fourteen?  I mean Jesus.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1536 on: December 17, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »
Wow, HSMP, that's a really sad story... really sorry to hear that, it sucks losing someone close to you around the holidays.
^_^

Barry Egan

« Reply #1537 on: December 17, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
Genghis, if a longtime friend of yours said "You know Genghis, I'm not comfortable with my ex being able to read stuff I on your wall. You guys only met that one time when I brought her to a party anyway. Could you do me a favor and de-friend her for me?" would you do it?

I'd probably pretend I didn't hear the request and start avoiding the friend who asked me to do it.  Too controlling for my taste.

Bebpo

« Reply #1538 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
I'm ready for my PR test I guess, but I'm in a pretty pissy mood because Play-asia fucked up my FFXIII, Mushihime Futari, and Tales of Graces order (from SEPTEMBER) so bad that I'm going to end up getting none of them until who knows when, not get any of the pre-order bonuses, and pay about an extra $100 in price-hikes and separate shipping charges to get them in a reasonable time.  That's a nice x-mas present.

/switching all my business over to ncsx permanently.  Just wish they didn't charge $9 for the cheapest 3-5 day shipping and price their games $5 higher than P-A.  :(

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1539 on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
jesus christ, it's fucking facebook. :rofl   Taking facebook seriously is probably one of the worst social defects one can have...

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #1540 on: December 17, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »
not trying to be a dick or anything, but the facebook shit seems kinda stupid with major real life hurdles like what HSMP is going through being posted.

@HSMP: You have my best wishes for your family in this time.

@GS: Just stop worrying about it man. Its not worth losing friends over.
XDF

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1541 on: December 17, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »
not trying to be a dick or anything, but the facebook shit seems kinda stupid with major real life hurdles like what HSMP is going through being posted.

@HSMP: You have my best wishes for your family in this time.

agreed.  i feel like a douche complaining so much about my finals after reading that. 

Stay strong hsmp

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1542 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
damn, got no breakfast food. 

i'ma eat some Shin-Ramyun at 10:30 AM  8)  Spicy farts all day!

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #1543 on: December 17, 2009, 03:34:41 PM »
I appreciate the sentiments guys.

My dad passed away about an hour and a half ago.  Incredibly hard right now.
Tacos

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1544 on: December 17, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
Sorry, man. My condolences.
PSP

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1545 on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »
 :( sorry dude

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #1546 on: December 17, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »
 :( :( :(

XDF

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1547 on: December 17, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
WDW

« Reply #1548 on: December 17, 2009, 04:00:36 PM »
/switching all my business over to ncsx permanently.  Just wish they didn't charge $9 for the cheapest 3-5 day shipping and price their games $5 higher than P-A.  :(

Use USPS Priority Mail. It's better than UPS, seeing how NCSX's games ship on Thursday and for those of us on the west coast they'll be stuck in the UPS office over the weekend. The postal service will actually deliver on Saturday.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1549 on: December 17, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
Really sorry, Hitler. :(
AMC

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1550 on: December 17, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
Sorry, my condolences. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1551 on: December 17, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »
©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1552 on: December 17, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »
My condolences, HSMP  :(
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1553 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
R.I.P. HSMP, Sr.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #1554 on: December 17, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »
Condolences HSMP :(

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #1555 on: December 17, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
Thanks again guys.  I appreciate it.

I've always had an unwritten rule about not posting pics online of anyone that I know, let alone myself, but I'm just sitting here going through old photos and came across this one from 6 years ago.  I have very few pics of just me and my dad together and the ones that I do have bring up some bad memories, but this one....this was a good day.  Since I've already opened up, I might as well share it.

I don't have a scanner handy so I had to take a pic of a pic from my phone so that's why it looks so funky.  The weird look on my face...well, there's no explanation for that.

I'll miss you dad.
Tacos

Barry Egan

« Reply #1556 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
 :'(

you've always been one of my favorite posters, even back on TXB. So sorry for your loss.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1557 on: December 17, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »
Did another finals today, i think i did ok, one more left.

@ HSMP: sorry to hear that man and as someone who also loss a dad recently its hard.

Keep strong man keep strong

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #1558 on: December 18, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm so sorry, HSMP.
fek

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1559 on: December 18, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
Thanks again guys.  I appreciate it.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've always had an unwritten rule about not posting pics online of anyone that I know, let alone myself, but I'm just sitting here going through old photos and came across this one from 6 years ago.  I have very few pics of just me and my dad together and the ones that I do have bring up some bad memories, but this one....this was a good day.  Since I've already opened up, I might as well share it.

I don't have a scanner handy so I had to take a pic of a pic from my phone so that's why it looks so funky.  The weird look on my face...well, there's no explanation for that.

I'll miss you dad.
Ah, HSMP you've made me cry at work, you weenie. I lost my dad a couple years ago, and I've also got some ACA shit so your story hits home for me.

I'm sorry for your loss; be kind to yourself where you can. Your communication problem with your father was not solely your responsibility, so you should not put the burden for it entirely on your own shoulders. Relating to alcoholics is also a lifelong trial, and you should cut yourself additional slack there too. Being the adult child of an alcoholic carries special challenges. Just... don't be mean to yourself.