Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 945640 times)

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - NJPW launches own network!
« Reply #1560 on: December 14, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Well, TLC was crap. Only match worth seeing was Ziggler vs. Harper. Ambrose vs. Wyatt and Rollins vs. Cena were okay, but not as good as they should have been. And the finish was awful.

I'd post a Bret Hart 4/10 pic, but that would be too generous a score for this show. :lol
BiSH

dkdk

« Reply #1561 on: December 14, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »
dean lost because of a motherfuckin malfunctioning tv  :neogaf

who comes up w/ this shit?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1562 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
Gonna go watch the NXT main event again.

Himu

« Reply #1563 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
Speaking of NXT, I watched it earlier this weekend and...wow. That year long pay off. Wow. WOW. My girls Sasha and Charlotte bringing the house down, wow. DEVITT SHOWING HOW THINGS ARE DONE. :bow
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:07:39 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1564 on: December 15, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »

:lawd Devitt :lawd
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:53:44 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

parallax

Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - NXT poops on WWE main roster
« Reply #1565 on: December 15, 2014, 02:27:07 AM »
im guessing revolution shat all over this ppv? not even shocked

Himu

« Reply #1566 on: December 15, 2014, 02:32:37 AM »
It's not surprising at all. All the NXT ppvs this year since the first one have been money. I'm glad things are picking up in this thread and people are actually watching NXT. Finally I have people to watch NXT with. May get the network so we can live talk NXT in this thread.
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1567 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »

👍
Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1568 on: December 15, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »

Yeah, and get this-

All WWE talent and producers and TV production people are currently all set for WWE TLC tonight in Cleveland.
I'm told tensions are at a fever pitch and have been all day. Many guys on the card tonight want to go out of their way to be the match of the night. The feeling is that a small company rivalry has started between the main roster and the NXT roster. Many agree that is good for all sides involved.
What is usually a lighter atmosphere many hours before doors open is not the case today. I'm told that it is very quiet backstage and that talent is very focused on the show tonight. They know the NXT show is going to be considered "show of the year" among many and they want this TLC show to rival or top it.
Many of the main matches have already been rehearsed. There was a giant black curtain covering the ringside area so nobody outside of the main players know what is going to happen tonight.

If that's true, they really failed last night.   :lol

I'd probably hate the PPV a lot if I didn't stop paying attention halfway through.
ど助平

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1569 on: December 15, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »
NXT is eating the main roster's lunch right now.

I'm tired of John Cena
I'm tired of this PG-13 bullshit
I'm tired of blurred lines between who's a heel and who's a face
I'm tired of HHH not pushing the correct talent to the front

etc

:goty2
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1570 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
NXT is HHH"s baby. It's his pet product of how he envisions WWE when he takes over. :hitler All new WWE main roster wrestlers (Shield, Wyatts, Rose, Dallas;etc) all came up from NXT. They're not being pushed because....well, it's not HHH. :hitler Certain staff members have been purposely trying to sabotage HHH's new crop on Raw to make them look bad, to not impress Vince, and get in Vince's ear, to tell him HHH's not ready to take over. This has been known.

I've been watching NXT for two years and it's consistently been the best thing about WWE. Problem is, just because an NXT wrestler promotes up to the main roster doesn't mean they'll work because the main roster doesn't get shit for storylines and zero direction outside The Shield, and that's dead.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:04:18 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1571 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
NXT is HHH"s baby. It's his pet product of how he envisions WWE when he takes over. :hitler All new WWE main roster wrestlers (Shield, Wyatts, Rose, Dallas;etc) all came up from NXT. They're not being pushed because....well, it's not HHH. :hitler Certain staff members have been purposely trying to sabotage HHH's new crop on Raw to make them look bad, to not impress Vince, and get in Vince's ear, to tell him HHH's not ready to take over. This has been known.

Interesting. I could imagine there is some fallout from the CM Punk affair. Do you have any linky poos, himu?
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1573 on: December 15, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/4/28/2139834/wwe-executive-kevin-dunn-profiling-the-maligned-but-fairly-paid-vp

Over the years, Dunn has become a controversial figure among hardcore wrestling fans, in large part because he's generally being considered to be right there with Vince McMahon as far as the bizarre, self-loathing "What we do isn't professional wrestling" stuff goes and is not a fan of historical wrestling references on WWE programming.  Perhaps his most vocal critic is Jim Cornette, who worked with Dunn when worked as a color commentator and member of the creative team.  Cornette has noted that when William Regal first came to the WWF as "The Real Man's Man" Steven Regal in 1998, Dunn reprimanded him for comparing Regal to legendary British wrestlers Billy Robinson and Dynamite Kid while on commentary.  According to Dunn, "nobody would know who they were."

A few years ago, when Jerry Lawler was inducted to the WWE Hall of Fame, he was asked who he wanted to induct him.  Lawler immediately chose Lance Russell, the legendary announcer of Memphis Wrestling for decades who was the Howard Cosell to his Mohammed Ali.  Russell has known Lawler since was a teenager and Russell brought him on TV to show off his detailed drawings of the previous week's major house show matches.  Dunn reportedly freaked out because "nobody knows who he is" and Lawler ended up being inducted by William Shatner.  Why William Shatner?  He did a forgettably bad angle with Lawler in 1995 on Raw to promote "Tekwar," a USA series he created that quickly bombed.  As is always the train of though when Dunn, McMahon, et al make these decisions, they were hoping people who aren't wrestling fans would tune in; because people who don't like wrestling are SO easily swayed by celebrity appearances...right?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:28:56 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

parallax

« Reply #1574 on: December 15, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »

Yeah, and get this-

All WWE talent and producers and TV production people are currently all set for WWE TLC tonight in Cleveland.
I'm told tensions are at a fever pitch and have been all day. Many guys on the card tonight want to go out of their way to be the match of the night. The feeling is that a small company rivalry has started between the main roster and the NXT roster. Many agree that is good for all sides involved.
What is usually a lighter atmosphere many hours before doors open is not the case today. I'm told that it is very quiet backstage and that talent is very focused on the show tonight. They know the NXT show is going to be considered "show of the year" among many and they want this TLC show to rival or top it.
Many of the main matches have already been rehearsed. There was a giant black curtain covering the ringside area so nobody outside of the main players know what is going to happen tonight.

If that's true, they really failed last night.   :lol

I'd probably hate the PPV a lot if I didn't stop paying attention halfway through.

i hope its failure was a fucking wake up call.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1575 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/4/28/2139834/wwe-executive-kevin-dunn-profiling-the-maligned-but-fairly-paid-vp

Just read that. Sounds like he got grandfathered in by Senior McMahon and is pretty much untouchable. Man Vince is in a tough position here....son in law vs old confidant.
YMMV

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1576 on: December 15, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
kinda worried all this will just lead to the burial of NXT in general because of jealousy
nat

Himu

« Reply #1577 on: December 15, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
i can't get over the bo dallas thing. the guy was money. if not a main event heel, at least a top mid card heel. They completely fucked him up.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1578 on: December 15, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
nah, bo dallas was :piss2 tier from the start. his gimmick was was forced and lame and he wasn't interesting to watch in the ring.
nat

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1579 on: December 15, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm just waiting to see how they fuck up the Devitt character.
YMMV

parallax

« Reply #1580 on: December 15, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »
I'm just waiting to see how they fuck up the Devitt character.

by moving him to the main event. then the dominoes will just fall.

Himu

« Reply #1581 on: December 15, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
nah, bo dallas was :piss2 tier from the start. his gimmick was was forced and lame and he wasn't interesting to watch in the ring.

Did you watch him on NXT? His gimmick was natural on there. Maybe it works better with a more intimate crowd? At NXT, his gimmick was anything but forced. He had a winning streak and rubbed it in everyone's face. So the crowd would turn around and say,"NO MORE BO" and he'd be like,"NEED MORE BO?!?!"
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: December 15, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »

:lol
ど助平

parallax

« Reply #1583 on: December 15, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »

:lol

the collect call gets me every damn time

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1584 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1585 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »

IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1586 on: December 15, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
Did you watch him on NXT? His gimmick was natural on there. Maybe it works better with a more intimate crowd? At NXT, his gimmick was anything but forced. He had a winning streak and rubbed it in everyone's face. So the crowd would turn around and say,"NO MORE BO" and he'd be like,"NEED MORE BO?!?!"
NXT is a crowd made up of 100% smarks, everything is gonna be over there. I noticed the same thing when going to local wrestling here. The crowd reaction is almost always exactly what the promoter wants, because the crowd knows what's up. I mean just look at Adam Rose. Dude is 110% lame as fuck, but he was super over in NXT.

I think Bo could have worked just fine on RAW if they'd prepped everyone and took it a bit slower with building him up. Non-smark crowds need their hands held with new gimmicks. WWE knows how to do it too. They've gotten people hyped over Roman Reigns who has nothing in his favor: can't wrestle, can't talk, can't do much at all. But a cool intro, some partners who can wrestle, and a "baby girl" and "believe that" and he's good to go.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the NXT crowd sucks or anything, by the way. I think having a super hype and super smark crowd is a good thing for developmental talent. It's also a good test of what is sure to fail, cause if you can't get over in NXT you can't get over at all.

Himu

« Reply #1587 on: December 15, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
a big problem with bo on raw is that they made him lose so easily. bo needed that winning streak for his character. imagine him getting 22-0 and then the next night he brags he did what the undertaker couldn't possibly do. Anyone with sense would know that's a false equivalence, and he'd be booed the fuck out of it. I am laughing at the thought. The genius of Bo's character is that he can be both heel and face. He can heel because he's a pompous self absorbed ass. At the same time, he could be face because goddamn his energy is so infectious!
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1588 on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
The random loss he took was so stupid. I was laughing at the rest of his prior stunts and barely there wins. His victory lap was always funny, especially when he bowled over El Torito.

It felt like WWE saw he wasn't catching on as fast as they wanted and just said "Fuck it, take him in another direction" and turned him into an angry child. Then just dropped him entirely.

I feel like they could have just repeated some of his NXT stunts and it could have worked. Have him win a belt and then hand out cookies to the crowd on his next trip out. Or fuck it, just have him make his own belt to celebrate his "streak".

They could have even extended it to the Slammies. He could have made his own award, The Bo Dallas Slammy for Excellence Presented By Bo Dallas.

Himu

« Reply #1589 on: December 15, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
Vince said he just didn't understand it so it was dropped. Said that it in the Austin podcast. :snoop

That Slammy award idea is hilarious
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1590 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
Vince didn't understand a self-absorbed pompous ass who is always right no matter what?  :comeon

Sure dawg.

Himu

« Reply #1591 on: December 15, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
a heel that thinks he's a babyface is hilarious. Why Vince, why?! :brazilcry
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1592 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I mean, the Miz is basically that exact character right now.

Himu

« Reply #1593 on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »
I think that's more John Cena. I always thought Bo's character was a riff on Cena: a babyface who acts like a heel. People boo him and he smiles, but he's a baby face.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1594 on: December 15, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
I never thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

I was just using the Miz as an example since he's supposed to see himself as a big Hollywood star even though he only does direct to dvd movies and assumes the people are all cheering for him when really they are cheering for Sandow. Yours makes more sense but seems too introspective and self-aware for WWE.

That Miz/Sandow thing should turn into something cool. I'm hoping there's a moment at Royal Rumble when Miz gets eliminated and Sandow has to reluctantly throw himself out as well. Then he can just hold a grudge which maybe can turn into a WM31 thing, I dunno.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1595 on: December 15, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
a heel that thinks he's a babyface is hilarious. Why Vince, why?! :brazilcry

So Kurt Angle then?
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1596 on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/assets/lib/pwi-hub.asp?thisUrl=http://www.WrestlingInc.com/wi/news/2014/1215/587720/backstage-news-on-possible-plans-for-adrian-neville/index.shtml

- There has been talk of bringing Adrian Neville up to WWE's main roster with a new gimmick.

i hope this is dirt sheet bs, because if so it's happening AGAIN. First Big E, and now this. :snoop Neville is FINE.

Apparently they're doing this to the Ascension and giving them a Road Warriors gimmick? :snoop
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:38:52 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1597 on: December 16, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
What's his gimmick right now? I like him, but really he's just Dude Who Wrestles Well.

But yeah, I figure one way or another he's gonna show up at the Rumble.

Himu

« Reply #1598 on: December 16, 2014, 12:22:25 AM »
Cocky, but well assured face. i like him. it's simple, but there's nothing wrong with simple. he's just pro wrestler as fuck, from his moveset to his promos.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1599 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:17 AM »
Watching a Raw VOD and lol at the Ascension promo. Those shoulderpads  :lol

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1600 on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
Brock coming back was cool.
nat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1601 on: December 16, 2014, 08:00:04 AM »
Cocky, but well assured face. i like him. it's simple, but there's nothing wrong with simple. he's just pro wrestler as fuck, from his moveset to his promos.

I thought they turned him heel some months back?

Nacho is right-- he has no real gimmick.  Does he need one?  Nope.  But he's a goofy looking dude and I don't think he's going to make it in the 'E after being called up anyway, TBH.
ど助平

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1602 on: December 16, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
looks like a muscular hobbit.  get him and Sheamus into a Lord of the Rings feud
Tonya

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1603 on: December 16, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
looks like a muscular hobbit.  get him and Sheamus into a Lord of the Rings feud

Sheamus is the worst wrestler to get a push in the WWE since Bautista.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1604 on: December 16, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
Guys, most of you are probably too young to remember when wrestling was actually wrestling, I feel sorry for you guys :-(

YMMV

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1605 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »

oh god. they are turning the Ascension into the Road Warriors
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1606 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2pdz76/talent_only_meeting_held_at_raw/

Coming out of the PPV last night, I've been told many in the company are not happy with the end result. While many knew it would be tough to top the NXT show, there were people who thought it could be pulled off.

There have been rumblings that some talent knew they couldn't top NXT so in a silent protest in favor of Triple H, some superstars were described "mailing in" their matches last night. Many are in favor of Triple H and what he has done with the NXT product and feel it is time for Triple H to take the lead on the main roster.

John Cena held a talent meeting about an hour ago which was described to me as forceful yet calm in his approach. Cena stressed that a silent protest is not what the roster needs. Instead, they need to go out there and start stepping it up every night for their point to be proven.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1607 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »

I thought they turned him heel some months back?

Naw, I see him as a no nonsense face willing to do anything to keep his belt, even get his hands dirty. I never saw him as a true heel, and I liked that about him.He didn't flirt with heel stuff like Sheamus or Cena, it's just that he's a strong heel in the Austin vein, and I really like that.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1608 on: December 16, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
I like what he's got going on character-wise and he's a damn good wrestler. But he has a goofy looking face to be sure.

dkdk

« Reply #1609 on: December 16, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
Guys, most of you are probably too young to remember when wrestling was actually wrestling, I feel sorry for you guys :-(

Serious question: How old do you think most of us are here?

I'm like the second youngest here at the age of 24(btw I had VHS tapes of all the old wrestling matches that was given to me by my cousins at the age of 4, The Ultimate Warrior and early Sting were my favorites before the whole Attitude thing came to be). Most people here are married and have children, and range from 32-47. Not sure about the new additions we got off Gaf-hop. But yeah, most people here are adults with their shit together.

im probably the youngest unless there's someone <23.

thanks to my pops and grandma i know enough about pre-96 American wrestling to get by.

i think folks that are 30+ are a bit lucky because they know that wrestling has it's ups and downs from an entertainment perspective. i grew up on the Attitude Era so it kind of feels like it's all downhill now. NXT reminds me that wrestling can actually be fun again w/o mass amounts of fuckery. I do like the fuckery though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1610 on: December 16, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »

Serious question: How old do you think most of us are here?

I'm like the second youngest here at the age of 24(btw I had VHS tapes of all the old wrestling matches that was given to me by my cousins at the age of 4, The Ultimate Warrior and early Sting were my favorites before the whole Attitude thing came to be). Most people here are married and have children, and range from 32-47. Not sure about the new additions we got off Gaf-hop. But yeah, most people here are adults with their shit together.

Yup.  Not to mention if you were a kid during that era of wrestling (I was), it's not like you had any fucking clue that you were watching the best matches when they came on.  We would go nuts for any old shit.  I mean, I thought Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior were THE BESTEST DARN WRASSLERS EVER at the time, and now when I go back and watch a lot of their matches, I get bored and notice how little they actually did in the ring.  I am sure the way I felt about pro wrestling as a kid is exactly how kids watching WWE today feel.  If I was a little kid I'd be going nuts for John Cena too. 
ど助平

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1611 on: December 17, 2014, 04:52:22 AM »
just got the ok to photograph another federation this weekend.  If it works out, I'll be photographing an AJ Styles / Ricochet match
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1612 on: December 18, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »
Irish TV just aired a documentary on Prince Devitt / Fin Balor and a kind soul put it up on vimeo

http://vimeo.com/114828810

edit: taken down  :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:19:08 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1613 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
this week's episode of NXT is really good.  Lots of threads following up from the R Evolution event as it should, some movement forward in the story lines and the continued selling of Kevin Owens as a goddamn beast in the ring.
Tonya

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #1614 on: December 19, 2014, 05:58:07 AM »
Looks like Yoshi Tatsu will have a roommate: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B5NghOzCMAAkGFd.mp4
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #1615 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
New Japan announced that BUSHI will be out of action for up to 6 months as he has been diagnosed with an epidural hemorrhage, which is a concussion to the spinal cord, after a mishap on the December 19th show.

God damn.

In other news, Yano Toru's partners for the Tokyo Dome were revealed on tonight's show (which had a great main event): Naomichi Marufuji & TMDK from Noah. Awesome.
BiSH

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1616 on: December 20, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
Last night I went to one of the weirder / better indie wrestling events I've seen.  It's a Queens NY based promotion called House of Glory started by Amazing Red and Brian XL (who also wrestles under the name Malcolm XL which is a much better name).  They had a 4 way tag team match which featured a team whose gimmick was Ash and a Pokemon (not a cosplayer, but a guy dressed as a panda who was summoned to the ring by Ash throwing a pokeball behind some speakers and his partner jumping out from behind the speakers a second later), it also featured a guy with cerebal palsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Iron Who I've seen in Chikara and Olde Wrestling) in a tag team match against a deaf mute wrestler (lots of hand signals and tap patterns to call spots) and a man with one leg (Zack Gowen, was in TNA and WWE a while ago).

the headlining match was Ricochet and AJ Styles, the ending was kind of disappointing (main roster people ran into the ring to force a DQ then someone cashed in a "money in the bank" style contract to defeat an already weakened Ricochet).  Up to the end it was GREAT to see these two compete.

I was able to shoot it ringside but I'm not done editing.  Here's Ricochet and Styles

Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1617 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Fucking jealous.

My thoughts on this weeks NXT now that I've watched it:

- I still don't get the appeal of Bayley.
- Becky, you said five minutes before your match you don't care about fans or cheers. Why are you still using a face song, whipping your hair, and addressing the crowd for pops? You are doing the exact thing you said you would stop doing it. STOP IT.
- DROP THE GENETICALLY SUPERIOR CRAP FROM CHARLOTTE.
- The Vaudevillains continue to be lame. I just don't get them or their appeal.
- Bull is okay, Baron Corbin continues to bore me. People have been gushing about his entrance but it's boring as fuck, he's boring as a fuck, though he has some wrestling ability. He's too stoic for my tastes. If he were more Goldberg gonna kick some ass, I'd be down, instead he's just a boring mcboresbore.
- SAWFT :bow :bow :bow
- Kevin Owens :whoo

Overall okay show, fun but could be better.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:15:11 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1618 on: December 20, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
I loathe that I know Enzo's entrance by heart
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1619 on: December 20, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »
you know you like it :)
IYKYK