Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 946069 times)

eleuin

• perennial loser
Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: When It Reigns, It Bores
« Reply #3480 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3481 on: March 18, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »
I just checked wrestlewiththeplot after seeing you guys post and hooooolllyyyy fuckingggg christ. Asuka gotta burn that belt

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #3482 on: March 18, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
Stupid Sexy Brad Maddox  :whew

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3483 on: March 18, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
I just checked wrestlewiththeplot after seeing you guys post and hooooolllyyyy fuckingggg christ. Asuka gotta burn that belt

Literally. Jesus Christ.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3484 on: March 18, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
The unofficial name for the Woods tape should be Up Down Up Down

dkdk

« Reply #3485 on: March 19, 2017, 12:17:29 AM »
man i never thought i'd see nut on a championship belt.

thats something.

archie4208

« Reply #3486 on: March 19, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
Anyone catch Southpaw Regional Wrestling?  It is (Georgia) gold (Woo).

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3487 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
dat ribera jacket is fire :lawd

FunSlower

« Reply #3488 on: March 19, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
Wasn't really feeling Southpaw at all, but I was feeling Tex and Chad a lot more than their normal selves.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3489 on: March 20, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
Southpaw is the best thing to come out of the WWE in decades.
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3490 on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
Rusev was great in it, but I agree Cena was awful. Just shit material. Didn't do much for me.

Eagerly awaiting a Roman heel turn that won't happen tonight.

archie4208

« Reply #3491 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Eagerly awaiting tonight's New Day segment. 

FunSlower

« Reply #3492 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
Eagerly awaiting tonight's New Day segment.

Still? I thought the consensus was that most people are getting tired of them, because they're too successful selling merchandise.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3493 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
Cena was fine.  He played the straight man announcer role perfectly. 
:idont

I could have sworn the other guy sitting with him was Orton, but it wasn't, right?  Was that Tyler Breeze?
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3494 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
I think my expectations for Southpaw were too high. I saw that teaser and hoped for matches, maybe 6 episodes that are a half hour long or more. Instead it was just promo work. Which is fine, whatever, but...I wanted some wrassles.

EDIT: The Gordon Solie guy was Fandangler. Completely unrecognizable to me.

archie4208

« Reply #3495 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »

I could have sworn the other guy sitting with him was Orton, but it wasn't, right?  Was that Tyler Breeze?

Fandango.

Tyler was The Banker.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3496 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I think my expectations for Southpaw were too high. I saw that teaser and hoped for matches, maybe 6 episodes that are a half hour long or more. Instead it was just promo work. Which is fine, whatever, but...I wanted some wrassles.

It would be fun to have some 80s parody style wrasslin' too, but that really wasn't the point of the whole thing. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3497 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

Fandango.

Tyler was The Banker.

Ah, OK.  They're so interchangeable.  :lol
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3498 on: March 20, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
It's a shame, the 80s stuff they're lampooning is some of the best shit out there. Lots of hot shit from that era and that style.
Sunshine was so awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g3dxSB2Uk
Jimmy Garvin had more natural chemistry with his fake wife than he did later going with his actual wife, Precious.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3499 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »

It would be fun to have some 80s parody style wrasslin' too, but that really wasn't the point of the whole thing. 

When they have a network with hundreds upon hundreds of hours of 80s wrestling, then make a parody show laughing about how bad 80s wrestling was, it's already weird enough, imo. I mean, it's whatever, but WWE has consistently made some weird choices in regards to their vault footage. Like when they had HHH tell Booker that WCW was a joke, Booker agreed, then at WM King AND JR also agreed, then they bring in Goldberg the next night and want you to buy the WCW DVD a few months later.

So now you have goofs writing think pieces about how "spot on" SPRW was parodying 80s territory wrestling, which according to SPRW was low budget garbage you should laugh at. While WWE also wants you to watch 80s territory wrestling on the Network. Pick a side is all I'm saying, dawgs.

I took it as them parodying the ridiculous gimmicks and storylines and not so much the in-ring stuff.
ど助平

El Babua

« Reply #3500 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
80s wrestling was the last time when wrasslin still felt like a sport while still having all the spectacle.

Wouldn't mind a 90s vid from them riffing on an early 90s ECW-esq grunge fed or late 90s XTREME WRESTLING.

FunSlower

« Reply #3501 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
I dunno if there's much joy to be found in the 90s. 90s was so awful.

If you haven't seen it, please watch "The Backyard" if you can find it. Backyard wrestling documentary that is hilariously depressing in all sorts of ways. It's worth it for THE LIZARD. But it's also worth it for people nearly breaking their backs taking bumps in holes in their backyards on glass tubes, etc...for an audience of two. Some real psychopaths in there too. It's worth watching.

FunSlower

« Reply #3502 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
They already had a "lol90ssux *except attitude era*" show. It was called Are You Serious and starred Josh Matthews and Road Dogg MST3King shit.

Christ, I forgot about that, and that stupid puppet.

The puppet that gave life to this trash heap of a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRLBZstDEM

"People like puppets"

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3503 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
no matter how hard hhh tries, no one will give him more than a lukewarm cheer for seth rollins :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3504 on: March 21, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
Skipped RAW again this week.
:rejoice

Will probably check it out next week though. 
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3505 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
Apparently Taker is looking even MORE like Frasier than he did before. I love it.

FunSlower

« Reply #3506 on: March 21, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
The build for Mania is really good this year. There's some weird missteps, like the whole Charlotte/Bayley thing that absolutely baffles me, but in general, hell, I think Owens/Jericho is the best built thing on the damn show. Styles/Shane is a great build as well, clear motivations. Wyatt/Randy looks to be great and I reckon I'll see Bray retain and have a great summer. It's shaping up to be a great Mania.

El Babua

« Reply #3507 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »
Taker's gotta retire. He's looked like death in the ring since WM 30

FunSlower

« Reply #3508 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
Agree. Taker's gotta stop.

archie4208

« Reply #3509 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
These Miz and Maryse segments parodying Total Bellas are great. :rofl

archie4208

« Reply #3510 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
AJ having to sell Shane's punches.  :fbm

If their WM match is a wacky spot fest it might actually be MotN, which is saying a lot about this card.  :fbm

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3511 on: March 21, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
i'm bummed that the smackdown women's match is just a battle royale. that shit is destined for the preshow :(

also i'm annoyed that there's no inter-brand matches other than the men's battle royale. even a brand vs brand tag match or something would be cool.

archie4208

« Reply #3512 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
KO/Jericho will be good, but AJ can get a 4 star match out of a broom.  If you add a lot of smoke and mirrors, AJ vs Shane can, at worst, be an entertaining trainwreck.

Another match that has a chance to be MotN is Neville vs. Austin Aries, assuming they get enough time and aren't put away on the pre show.

i'm bummed that the smackdown women's match is just a battle royale. that shit is destined for the preshow :(

also i'm annoyed that there's no inter-brand matches other than the men's battle royale. even a brand vs brand tag match or something would be cool.

I'm still under the delusion Asuka will be a surprise entrant after she loses the title to Ember Moon at Takeover.  I'm know I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3513 on: March 22, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »
Which is really crazy considering how sick of Jericho everyone was for years up until the past few months.

???

He always comes back from his hiatuses and tries something new.  Never seemed stale to me.
ど助平

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #3514 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
Which is really crazy considering how sick of Jericho everyone was for years up until the past few months.

???

He always comes back from his hiatuses and tries something new.  Never seemed stale to me.

Nothing ever fully clicked through and people eventually started getting sick of "Cool Dad" Jericho or "Boring" Jericho. Then this time he came back with "It's Always Sunny In Jericho" and it was a riot that was over as fuck. I think someone made a Botchamania ending that was "Jericho is Dennis from Always Sunny" and it turns out that is what he was going for the entire time. And since he's leaving again soon after mania. Dennis-icho won't wear out its welcome. 

FunSlower

« Reply #3515 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
Really fascinating how hard American Alphas have dropped off. 25% of the crowd didn't like them, 25% didn't care either way. For me personally, I stopped giving a shit about them after the GREAT match at Takeover Dallas because they went full blown video game bullshit immediately after that match and it was basically like watching a video game version of Kurt Angle in tag team form from that point on. They settled into their formula and that's that. And crowds just don't care. It's basically like SD in 2003 trying to pretend that WGTT were top level stars despite doing nothing to convince you of it.

That being said, Usos vs Alpha on SD was fan fucking tastic. And rightful winners, the Usos, who I absolutely love ever since they turned heel. I just love it. They're naturals. Fuck the face-painting siva dances.

FunSlower

« Reply #3516 on: March 22, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
If you had told me a year ago I'd love the Usos, I would have called you a liar.

I can't believe how fast time flies, though. Baron Corbin has been on the roster almost a whole year and hasn't embarrassed himself. And still has some hair. #blessed

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3517 on: March 22, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
I'm still under the delusion Asuka will be a surprise entrant after she loses the title to Ember Moon at Takeover.  I'm know I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.
Oh damn I hadn't even thought of that. Now I'm also gonna get excited for nothing lol.

Also I'm a super Jericho mark so every time he's come back has been hype for me. Except that time he came back and didn't say a word for like a month. That was just moronic.

archie4208

« Reply #3518 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
Really fascinating how hard American Alphas have dropped off. 25% of the crowd didn't like them, 25% didn't care either way. For me personally, I stopped giving a shit about them after the GREAT match at Takeover Dallas because they went full blown video game bullshit immediately after that match and it was basically like watching a video game version of Kurt Angle in tag team form from that point on. They settled into their formula and that's that. And crowds just don't care. It's basically like SD in 2003 trying to pretend that WGTT were top level stars despite doing nothing to convince you of it.

That being said, Usos vs Alpha on SD was fan fucking tastic. And rightful winners, the Usos, who I absolutely love ever since they turned heel. I just love it. They're naturals. Fuck the face-painting siva dances.

I could think of another Samona who would benefit from a heel turn.   :heyman

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3519 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
These Miz and Maryse segments parodying Total Bellas are great. :rofl
https://streamable.com/b2wso

FunSlower

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3521 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
The Cena/Miz thing is really dumb. Centering the feud around a show that is expliclity about the real lives of fake wrestlers has been dumb since Total Divas started, but now it's extra dumb because you have Cena doing multiple promos on the fake show point by point destroying Miz's gimmick, yet you're supposed to still buy this as a "real" feud on the fake show rgekljdvasmnkldvsfldvfskl

And you have that on the same show where a dude desecrated a body and burned down a house to destroy a supernatural power source. I just want some consistency is all. Either go all out with goofy shit, or all in with shooty shit.

whynotboth.gif

FunSlower

« Reply #3522 on: March 22, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »
The Cena/Miz thing is really dumb. Centering the feud around a show that is expliclity about the real lives of fake wrestlers has been dumb since Total Divas started, but now it's extra dumb because you have Cena doing multiple promos on the fake show point by point destroying Miz's gimmick, yet you're supposed to still buy this as a "real" feud on the fake show rgekljdvasmnkldvsfldvfskl

And you have that on the same show where a dude desecrated a body and burned down a house to destroy a supernatural power source. I just want some consistency is all. Either go all out with goofy shit, or all in with shooty shit.

whynotboth.gif

Because if I'm watching a normal TV show and the actors turn to the camera to break character and bitch about the producers giving them shitty lines, it kind of ruins the whole show unless the whole show is like that.

Saved by the Bell is good.

El Babua

« Reply #3524 on: March 22, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
 :(

RIP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3525 on: March 23, 2017, 03:42:08 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3526 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »

Doesn't that count as goofy shit too?  It's not like Total Divas/Bellas isn't also scripted reality TV crap.
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3527 on: March 23, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
Those JR tweets are heart-wrenchingly sad for some reason beyond if anyone else had done it. I just don't know why.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3528 on: March 23, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »

whynotboth.gif

Because if I'm watching a normal TV show and the actors turn to the camera to break character and bitch about the producers giving them shitty lines, it kind of ruins the whole show unless the whole show is like that.

Yeah but you're watching a soap opera for children about grown men fake fighting, not a normal show

Like you can suspend your disbelief for the "shooty" stuff even though they got Cena to let them shoot at his house, but the wyatt family stuff is too far? Who gives a shit? Both segments are hilarious for different reasons
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:36:05 PM by seagrams hotsauce »

FunSlower

« Reply #3529 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »
Is it too much to ask for narratives to be tonally and thematically consistent  :uguu

well this IS wrestling

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3530 on: March 23, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
Is it too much to ask for narratives to be tonally and thematically consistent  :uguu

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3531 on: March 23, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
i'm okay with different themes as long as the individual stories are consistent to themselves. looking at wwe stories as a whole, even the existence of bray wyatt and the undertaker and kane would immediately nullify all shoot related storylines.

FunSlower

« Reply #3532 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »
That is a heck of an ending gif. Goddamn.

Like Meltzer said - on paper, it sounds like an awful match, but it worked that night. Excellent.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3533 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
I remember reading that Warrior was completely gassed super early on and Hogan has to carry him throughout the rest. Looking at the finish to the match  :holeup
nat

FunSlower

« Reply #3534 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
Figuring out which showdown style you prefer says a lot about what kind of wrassles you enjoy.

Do you like subject A:

Or subject B:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like them both but PREFER test of strength
[close]

FunSlower

« Reply #3535 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:15 AM »
It's 2010. It's Wrestlemania. On stage are Bob Uecker and Antonio Inoki chatting it up while standing next to Gorgeous George's widow. At the end of the stage is Bruce Hart wearing jeans and sunglasses.
Inoki showed at 2010?! Whuh?!
I have no recollection of this at all.

FunSlower

« Reply #3536 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
Oh, HoF, I should have realized. I still love Uecker. He'll forever get a pass for being in Major League. Probably the best sports movie of all time, really is.

Bruce Hart is such a hilarious piece of shit, I love hearing stories about him.

" They described the planning process behind Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon at WrestleMania and said Vince was in a room with the Hart Dynasty, a dozen additional members of the Hart Family, Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Vince laid out the format, and Bruce Hart interrupted with: "No, this doesn't make sense. That basically turns you babyface."

Bruce started coming up with alternate ideas, before Vince could even get into the match. Bruce continued to interrupt and said that Batista should be involved, because of his prior altercation with Bret. Michael "PS" Hayes responded with: "Batista's got kind of a big match that night."

For those that don't remember, Batista headlined that show against John Cena. Bruce started pitching SummerSlam matches until Bret interrupted him and ordered him to shut up. Bruce then decided to stop talking to the group and began to whisper loudly to his brothers. Natalya's mother stood up out of nowhere and said: "I think Jim [Neidhart] should be involved."

Jim, according to Natalya, is the most normal one in the family, probably because he's not a blood relative, and decides to keep his mouth shut. Then there was a debate over who would play the part of the special referee. Bruce was originally pegged for the role but according to the rest of the family, "Wayne was always the referee in Stampede. Wayne should be the referee."

According to Natalya, Vince McMahon was very entertained by all of this."

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3537 on: March 27, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
is the HoF still happening next Saturday night with Takeover airing as well?
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #3538 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
HoF Friday
Takeover Saturday

FunSlower

« Reply #3539 on: March 27, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Might entirely pass on Takeover. Too much wrasslin. I do enjoy a good HoF though. I wish they wouldn't let fans in.