Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2171097 times)

agrajag

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13140 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/video-game-magazines-were-the-absolute-best-what-were-some-of-your-favorites.19441/

Reeee proves that they even have sucky taste in video game magazines. How the fuck is EGM not a runaway favorite? Everyone in the 90's knew Game Pro was for babbies.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13141 on: January 30, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »
Of all the things you guys complain about Re/GAF for, the first time I sorted the Community / Hangouts on number of posts and realized Wrestling was the #1 community was the only time I've ever questioned whether I should be a member. 

I very much judge adults for watching that crap, let alone talking about it on the internet.

So let me get this straight. That OT being #1 made you question whether you should sign up to that forum, because wrestling is for babbies.

And not the daily "ERA, how do I tie my shoe laces?!?!?!?" threads, or the fact that 90% of the users get triggered if the wind blows in the direction they weren't hoping for on a tuesday.

Okay.

Jansen

« Reply #13142 on: January 30, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3938892/

Quote from: Purple Mug, post: 3938892, member: 29939
I admit the hunting thing has always been the thing to turn me off on these games.

Like, watching wildlife limp away as I hack at them to make whateverthefuck from their severed tails and horns will never not be fucked up to me.
And those pictures are disgusting c'mon. At least spoiler tag them, I wasnt expecting to watch dead animals in this thread.

This game looks lovely. I really want to explore the world. See all the animals. Upgrade my loot.
The rest though...

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #13143 on: January 30, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
But what about Bayley!

sigh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13144 on: January 30, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
Back when there were more game studios making games, like the mid tier and games didn't take 4 years to develop, studios would kill to have a Game Informer cover story in front of millions of readers. It's how I learned about little games such as Dead Space and Bioshock from relatively unknown studios at the time.
That's some glorious rose color glasses history there.

Little games? Relatively unknown studios like EA and Irrational? Games didn't take four years to develop?

He completely walked around some cover stories of the era he chose like... say, these:

Or the one two months after that Vice City cover:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13145 on: January 30, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
American Revolutionists died for nothing as their descendants would turn out to be cowards.
:neogaf

https://www.resetera.com/threads/it-is-almost-a-certainty-that-donald-will-fire-mueller-what-are-americans-going-to-do-about-it.19638/page-7#post-3938153

Or perhaps the reality has finally set in that it was all a giant lie after all. Slavery was just the beginning?
:dead
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #13146 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
American Gamepro was the shit. I was so sad when they stopped printing. Their rating scale was great and their authors knew how to make a review fun to read.
:trigger

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #13147 on: January 30, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3938892/

Quote from: Purple Mug, post: 3938892, member: 29939
I admit the hunting thing has always been the thing to turn me off on these games.

Like, watching wildlife limp away as I hack at them to make whateverthefuck from their severed tails and horns will never not be fucked up to me.
And those pictures are disgusting c'mon. At least spoiler tag them, I wasnt expecting to watch dead animals in this thread.

This game looks lovely. I really want to explore the world. See all the animals. Upgrade my loot.
The rest though...

That thread led me to look up the waypoint review for Monster Hunter:
In our current moment, the phrase “big game hunter” brings to mind the Trump sons posing with their kills, holding dead leopards and detached elephant trunks as sublimated stand-ins for wealth, privilege, and supposed masculine strength.

But this association is older than the Trumps. For as long as the modern West has colonized—the act with which it marked itself as “the West”—it has reduced the lands in its margins to hunting grounds. Distant regions are places where bounty can be gained, both literal and metaphorical. Through the full set of low rank quests, Monster Hunter: World embodies exactly this colonialist fantasy: the pillaging of natural resources, the violence against native people, and the rhetorical establishment of the colonizer as civilized and rational.

There are other problems, too, separate from one’s taste for that particular theme. The life of the hunter, unlike the life of the hero, is repetitive.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/8xvpw5/monster-hunter-world-review

Holy shit, they're really trying to give Polygon a run for their money.

I look forward to their next pokemon review where they'll hopefully address the issue of slavery and repetitive combat

benjipwns

« Reply #13148 on: January 30, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
I liked how dense EGM was with tons of rumours and info. I had one issue (November 1999) in particular that I read back to front probably like 30+ times in those pre-widespread internet days.
:trigger

EGM was so dense because they repeated and recycled content endlessly for years to fill the page counts, the same "news" would be in four sections of the magazine just re-worded :lol

agrajag

« Reply #13149 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
Shut up benji, go read game misinformer.  :ufup

Quarterman rumor mill  :lawd

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13150 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »
AJ Lee was pretty hot as far as wrestling Divas go.

agrajag

« Reply #13151 on: January 30, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
Stacey Kiebler GOAT

Himu

« Reply #13152 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
EGM ISSUE 100 THE GOAT

Still have mine. :jawalrus
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #13153 on: January 30, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Quote from: IrishNinja
bill donahue was a treasure
Yes he was! That whole crew was great.
this is funny because the guy was literally a Pat Buchanan supporter, NRA fanatic, and regularly wrote pro-GOP/anti-Clinton/pro-guns stuff into the magazines

an oddity at the time, especially in American magazines that weren't Next Generation (or PC-centric), as the only political content otherwise in game magazines was limited to Joe Lieberman/Mortal Kombat-Night Trap Congressional Hearings/Ratings Laws/etc. until the later 2000s...it especially stood out in comparison to the otherwise soulless fanboy wanking style garbage writing of Game Players/PSM

a lot of the UK magazines never had any problems slagging on their politicians though

agrajag

« Reply #13154 on: January 30, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
EGM ISSUE 100 THE GOAT

(Image removed from quote.)

Still have mine. :jawalrus

me too. In a box of like five years worth of issues  :mynicca

Himu

« Reply #13156 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Sasha Banks vs Bayley the best women's match in WWE history :bow

Making kids cry :rejoice

:bow SASHA :bow2

:fbm Sasha :fbm
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #13157 on: January 30, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »
you silly kids, how many pages does that EGM #100 have? 200 pages? 250 max?

NOT A SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION ALMOST FOUR HUNDRED PAGES

OR THE BIGGEST EGM EVER?!?! OVER FOUR HUNDRED PAGES

Himu

« Reply #13158 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
Even weirder is that, despite WrassleERA being the biggest community on the board, it's really only about 10 regulars talking about the same shit every day, and they're all in a private Discord where they talk about the same shit all day. The ones that complain the most about WWE watch 9 hours a week and then listen to 20 hours of podcasts of people bitching about WWE every week as well. Sometimes they BRAG about hatewatching just so they can listen to a hate podcast.  ???

And then! When you tell them you're no longer watching main WWE programming, they scoff. "You'll be back." No, I will not be back. :jawalrus

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm trying to get back into wrestling but just don't have the motivation to do so. If someone could post the best wrestling match of last year no matter the federation I might be inclined
[close]
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #13159 on: January 30, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
you silly kids, how many pages does that EGM #100 have? 200 pages? 250 max?

NOT A SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION ALMOST FOUR HUNDRED PAGES

OR THE BIGGEST EGM EVER?!?! OVER FOUR HUNDRED PAGES

EGM really was the GOAT. :brazilcry
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13160 on: January 30, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
And then! When you tell them you're no longer watching main WWE programming, they scoff. "You'll be back." No, I will not be back. :jawalrus

I'm trying to get back into wrestling but just don't have the motivation to do so. If someone could post the best wrestling match of last year no matter the federation I might be inclined
[close]
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit a clear MOTY contender happened just this past weekend. Almas/Gargano at NXT Takeover Philly was  :leon :gladbron :lawd :aah

Himu

« Reply #13161 on: January 30, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
How does Excel support WWE so much while being all about social justice? They are such a problematic company with such problematic fans. Ask The Coli's wrestling forum about Ricki Lake Hoe. :jawalrus
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #13162 on: January 30, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
I like rasslin but I don't watch a ton of it.  I'd go insane if I consumed every bit of content (especially 5+ hours of WWE content each week :doge).  January was already overloaded with Wrestle Kingdom, Royal Rumble and a several other shows.

[close]
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit a clear MOTY contender happened just this past weekend. Almas/Gargano at NXT Takeover Philly was  :leon :gladbron :lawd :aah
I liked Tanahashi/Suzuki more, but they were both excellent matches.

Himu

« Reply #13163 on: January 30, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »

[close]

Last year.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #13164 on: January 30, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Tanahashi vs Suzuki?!?!? Suzuki always goes hard. That sounds must watch. Tana da GAWD.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #13165 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
EGM/1up were too anti-Nintendo for me. Glad they died while Nintendo Power continued for years afterwards. :heyman

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13166 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
I liked Tanahashi/Suzuki more, but they were both excellent matches.
Honestly this past weekend was chock full of good wrestling no matter what you like

@Cindi as far as last year it's hard to pick one but Bate/Dunne from Takeover Chicago, Naito/Tanahashi from WK11, Styles/Cena at Royal Rumble, and Lesnar/Strowman/Joe/Reigns from Summerslam were some heavy favorites for me.

Himu

« Reply #13167 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
Are these crowd pleaser matches or story telling matches? I'm all about that in-ring storytelling with good psychology.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13168 on: January 30, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »
Naito/Tanahashi and Styles/Cena told a good story, Bate/Dunne is just great wrestling, and the 4 way is just big men fucking shit up. So it's a mix of everything in there.

2018 is looking to surpass that already. Just in January there's been some really excellent matches of all kinds. Both the Rumbles were really good (and there was a fun big man match in there too) and Takeover had great matches. On the Japan side, WK12 was a step down from last year imo but New Beginning has already made up for that.

archie4208

« Reply #13169 on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »

[close]

Last year.
2017 had a ridiculously high match quality all throughout the year.  There were dozens of great matches.  A few of my favorites were:
Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 2 NJPW Dominion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ya46s (check the profile page for part 2)
Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata NJPW Sakura Genesis http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kc9k6
Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne NXT TakeOver Chicago:
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi G1 Tournament: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wyxte

If you were to watch just one match, I would actually suggest Okada/Shibata.  I know everyone gushes over the Okada/Omega trilogy, but you kind of need to watch all three matches to get the context of its storyline, and watching just the second match takes away from that.

edit:

Tanahashi vs Suzuki?!?!? Suzuki always goes hard. That sounds must watch. Tana da GAWD.

You might love Okada vs. Suzuki at G1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wicy7

Himu

« Reply #13170 on: January 30, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
I haven't watched wrestling in so long i have no fucking clue who Tyler Bates even is.

Rainmaker is my favorite wrestler so I'll start there.

Is this it?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13171 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
Neither did anyone else who isn't a super wrasslin nerd or from the UK, so that's okay :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13172 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
I hope Black Panther is fucking awesome, because I love comic book movies. ERA will be confused as fuck though TBH, because that would mean that America isn't as racist as they think that it is. If it bombs they'll just blame it on racism anyhow. No one wins.
Openly contributing to the downfall of cinema

:kobeyuck

:miyamoto Jodie Foster. :miyamoto

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13173 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:14 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but can we get back to something like political talk now?
que

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13174 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
now you jerks know what its like, you deserve this shit :maf

etiolate

« Reply #13175 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »
Thread needs GAMEFAN

Himu

« Reply #13176 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
tbh i wanna catch up on the wrasslin but find it all so time consuming cuz I haven't watched in two years. I guess I could watch current stuff and then back track idk I refuse to watch NJPW or NXT without being updated on the storyline because it's so important in both and a large part of the fun. Seeing feuds without them growing in-ring just isn't the same.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13177 on: January 30, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
i'm gonna respond to that in the wrestling thread, cindi. we'll let these folks get back to arguing over hillary and bernie or whatever

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13178 on: January 30, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-3-2018-jan-15-jan-21.18529/page-59#post-3959966
Knock it off with the increasing hostility towards other members. Also, don't bore this thread with a tech discussion if you lack profound tech knowledge; otherwise it's just shaky statement vs shaky statement and we should avoid that.

You should also refrain from making up statements that other members never said.
Translation: Just stop posting guys, staph  :doge
🤴

archie4208

« Reply #13179 on: January 30, 2018, 07:11:22 PM »
i'm gonna respond to that in the wrestling thread, cindi. we'll let these folks get back to arguing over hillary and bernie or whatever
The wrestling discussion actually made this thread bearable to read though.   :marimo

Himu

« Reply #13180 on: January 30, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

You might love Okada vs. Suzuki at G1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wicy7

Breh.

This is the first wrestling match I’ve seen since February 2016. Seeing Suzuki walk out with the belt dangling like it’s just a shitty prop is giving me life. Fuck I’ve missed wrestling! That NJPW character writing. :lawd If anything is to stoke my passionate wrestling fan heart it’s this. Bah gawd! :preach
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #13181 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-3-2018-jan-15-jan-21.18529/page-59#post-3959966
Knock it off with the increasing hostility towards other members. Also, don't bore this thread with a tech discussion if you lack profound tech knowledge; otherwise it's just shaky statement vs shaky statement and we should avoid that.

You should also refrain from making up statements that other members never said.
Profound knowledge only, please. Not just technically accurate or informative content, but cosmic insight that will make us literally shaking.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13182 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Profound knowledge only, please. Not just technically accurate or informative content, but cosmic insight that will make us literally shaking.
ResetEra moderation:

10 pages discussing Monster Hunter World  :donot

10000 pages of hype for new Kirby trailer  :umad

There's this one douche nozzle that takes 10 seccond clips of every graphical effect in Breath of the Wild, claiming just how advanced it is compared to everything else and is now doing the same spiel with many other Ninteno games. Brainchild or something.
Acts like he's some sort of scholar or academic because he understand the difference between baked and real time shadows. I really like the game and it does some neat things but that dude is completely bonkers.

Yet is knowledge is considered 'profound'  :doge
🤴

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13183 on: January 30, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
tbh i wanna catch up on the wrasslin but find it all so time consuming cuz I haven't watched in two years. I guess I could watch current stuff and then back track idk I refuse to watch NJPW or NXT without being updated on the storyline because it's so important in both and a large part of the fun. Seeing feuds without them growing in-ring just isn't the same.

Honestly, the Royal Rumble from Sunday was a really fun watch. If it doesn’t spark interest in a lapsed WWE fan, I doubt anything will.
serge

shosta

« Reply #13184 on: January 30, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
There's this one douche nozzle that takes 10 seccond clips of every graphical effect in Breath of the Wild, claiming just how advanced it is compared to everything else and is now doing the same spiel with many other Ninteno games. Brainchild or something.
Wait, Brainchild is back? The guy who was permabanned on GAF for derailing every thread into an obnoxious game of semantics? Lol.
每天生气

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #13185 on: January 30, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
Jesus, what the fuck have I done?

Let me see if I can get us back on track.

Ahem...

So anyway, Black Panther. I really hope it fails because I’m one of THOSE people.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #13186 on: January 30, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »
Fuck me this thread is moving fast tonight

Clockwork5

« Reply #13187 on: January 30, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-got-fed-beef.19944/

So let's get this straight.

OP is a "vegetarian" yet eats chicken. (OP edited their post to now say "was a vegetarian.")
Wants a healthy diet yet orders fried boneless chicken sandwiches.
Is a picky eater yet eats at A&W.

Who the fuck are these people. Why are they so completely helpless.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #13188 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »
Chicken isn’t meat. They aren’t even animals. I don’t see the problem

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13189 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-got-fed-beef.19944/

So let's get this straight.

OP is a vegetarian yet eats chicken.
Wants a healthy diet yet orders fried boneless chicken sandwiches.
Is a picky eater yet eats at A&W.

Who the fuck are these people. Why are they so completely helpless.
At this point they seem to be randomly generated Twitter bots :derp
🤴

shosta

« Reply #13190 on: January 30, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »
She asked why the bottom of every poster says member, and I answered "Because that's what they are". Her reply? "Well, are any of them not members that are posting on there?"

So I'm sharing on here to get to bottom of this. Are any of you not members on here?
There are special members too
GulAtiCa
Community Resettler
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13191 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
Has he tried....eating vegetables?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13192 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
Has he tried....eating vegetables?
He's a picky eater  :doge
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13193 on: January 30, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »
I've usually found vegetables to be the best way to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet. Fried chicken is a unique, but slightly less effective way to do that. Also there's no way he's "picky" and eats at disgusting A&W. Even Trump wouldn't eat that shit.

Clockwork5

« Reply #13194 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
She asked why the bottom of every poster says member, and I answered "Because that's what they are". Her reply? "Well, are any of them not members that are posting on there?"

So I'm sharing on here to get to bottom of this. Are any of you not members on here?
There are special members too
GulAtiCa
Community Resettler
I saw that and actually felt bad for that person. "Well actually, I'm a SPECIAL member"

You probably missed the REDACTED post where OP posted a video of his little sister talking trash on RE members. My first thought is that must be benjis alt, who else would doxx their own sister?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:10:00 PM by Clockwork5 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13195 on: January 30, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »
That thread reminds me of a dumb woman at a party I recently attended. She was bragging about how easy it was to be a vegetarian and that she was eating nearly the same as before and that she enjoyed vegetarian substitutes like imitation crab, which she ate three times a week in salads. She was really unhappy when I informed her that imitation crab was just whitefish and not some magical soy product that tasted just like fish.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #13196 on: January 30, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
That thread reminds me of a dumb woman at a party I recently attended. She was bragging about how easy it was to be a vegetarian and that she was eating nearly the same as before and that she enjoyed vegetarian substitutes like imitation crab, which she ate three times a week in salads. She was really unhappy when I informed her that imitation crab was just whitefish and not some magical soy product that tasted just like fish.

the best is when you hear someone say "i eat substitute meats" as if it's healthy. Then you point out how much sodium is packed into one of those things....

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13197 on: January 30, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »
OP sounds like he consumes a lot of SOY.  :doge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13198 on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
Fake meat hot dogs/corndogs are pretty good though. And honestly are probably equally as bad for you as their meat counterparts.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #13199 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
the fucking worst vegan/veggie substitute is fake cheese and cheese slices pretending to be american cheese. Slimy gross as fuck shit that melts into an oil slick of hate.