Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 683916 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1020 on: June 23, 2011, 04:21:37 AM »

This is the autobiography of martial arts pioneer JUDO GENE LEBELL. This is the guy who choked out Stephen Seagal and made him poop himself, though he is much too polite to tell the story himself.

Plus he also wrestles bears

THE MAN FUCKING WRESTLES BEARS

BEARS

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1021 on: June 24, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
I stopped reading The Drawing of the Three - The second book in the Darktower Series - just because I never could compel myself to pick it up and read it.  It was that boring to me. 

I started in on the first few pages of A Game of Thrones, but I may wait to really get into it.  I think my problem might be that I'm just not ready to get into a series and feel like I'm committed to finish it.  I've got a few one-off books queued up to read, so I may get into a couple of them.
WTF

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1022 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I stopped reading The Drawing of the Three - The second book in the Darktower Series - just because I never could compel myself to pick it up and read it.  It was that boring to me. 

I started in on the first few pages of A Game of Thrones, but I may wait to really get into it.  I think my problem might be that I'm just not ready to get into a series and feel like I'm committed to finish it.  I've got a few one-off books queued up to read, so I may get into a couple of them.

I looked for A Game of Thrones this morning, convinced that I own it and it's hiding somewhere. I did not find it. The intrigue thickens...

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1023 on: June 24, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
I've got mine in Ebook format.  Never.  Search.  Again.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1024 on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
i've lost my Kindle several times :lol
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1025 on: June 24, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
after reading a string of genre books, i'm tucking into some nice mainstream summer reading.  Tabloid City, one day in New York City seen through the eyes of people working at a dying newspaper.  So far lots of nothing except for reminiscing about Paris in the 40s and the Newspaper Biz in the 70s and 80s.  I'm only 40 pages in, so I don't yet have an opinion.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1026 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:29 AM »
Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Very breezy and readable, but tackles some pretty huge issues. Underscores just how important it is to be skeptical and constructively critical of all this data we are bombarded with.

Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan - very LTTP on this one of course. Was in the mood for a different voice on food after reading a few Anthony Bourdain books.

vjj

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »
Wuthering Heights

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1028 on: June 28, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
Wuthering Heights

holy shit, a book in the book thread i've actually read (!)

not sure this is the right place, but i'm starting to amass a ton of technical ebooks that i really could do with carrying about with me so i'm looking at aquiring a kindle.

Now i'm a bit Kindle-ignorant here - but how do i get unpurchased books from my HDD onto the Kindle ? is it easy? Is now the right time to kindle? etc etc

you plug in your Kindle and drag-and-drop files to the \Books\ directory

would be nice to sync over Wi-Fi but you can't always get what you want

乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1029 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
DC is 'thinking' of getting a Kindle? A $140 purchase decision? Clearly the XFE Chad Warden glory days are long gone.

Calibre is handy for converting and managing your Kindle stuff btw, if drag and drop is too painful.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1030 on: June 28, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »
don't worry, your Kindle will work just fine with "unpurchased" books :pirate

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I buy everything anyways because 1) I'm moral 2) I'm a sucker for cloud-based bookmarks being synched between multiple devices. I can read the same book on my iPad at lunch at work, my iPhone at the gym after work, and my Kindle in bed before going to sleep. THIS IS LIVING
[close]
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1031 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
I'm with H.A.T. - buy books 'cause authors deserve it and the value for money is off the charts. WhisperSync is the shit as well - my dream is to have an array of Kindles (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Kindles, or RAIK) anywhere I might sit my ass down to read - armchair, toilet, bed etc, all permanently syncing away. Ahhh.

Having said that, I have no compunctions about downloading loads of shit I already own on paper (or owned :teehee), or is out of print or whatever.
vjj

« Reply #1032 on: June 29, 2011, 04:37:57 AM »
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Pretty cool so far, but definitely much different than Blade Runner.
:bow

Great great book.

I'm reading

The Club Dumas
and i'm re-reading A Storm of Swords :bow

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS 2009 :bow :bow :bow
sorry but  :lol :lol :lol
orl

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1033 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
Having said that, I have no compunctions about downloading loads of shit I already own on paper (or owned :teehee), or is out of print or whatever.

Yup, I finally read Zelazny's Amber books because it was on my Kindle and not on my bookshelf as a single 1400-page 10-volume omnibus. Amber's not "officially" out as eBooks yet but I don't really "care"
乱学者

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1034 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »

Great great book.

I'm reading

The Club Dumas

holy shit :rofl
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1035 on: June 30, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »

Yup, I finally read Zelazny's Amber books because it was on my Kindle and not on my bookshelf as a single 1400-page 10-volume omnibus. Amber's not "officially" out as eBooks yet but I don't really "care"

haha, I think I have the same volume on my shelf, also unread - Fantasy Masterworks vol 6

Kindle rocks for reading the bricks. I may finally read Gravity's Rainbow and The Infinite Jest now.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1036 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:37 AM »

Great great book.

I'm reading

The Club Dumas

I was a bit off, but

JULY 12TH 2011 :bow :bow :bow

Narag

« Reply #1037 on: June 30, 2011, 03:40:21 AM »
Word isn't supported and pdf is awful on kindle. I think you can use Calibre to convert them though.
DMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:15 AM »
Calibre will convert them but it really depends how jacked-up the original formatting was. You can go in and set all sorts of parameters that probably help though.

If you don't want to convert, you can always open them in Google Docs on iOS or whatever I guess.
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1039 on: June 30, 2011, 06:21:53 AM »
That new ESPN book, it's been good so far. Some of the guys at the start were real cunts.
itm

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1040 on: June 30, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »
infinite jest would suck because of all the foot notes.

footnotes on kindle are a total pain in the ass
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1041 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »
infinite jest would suck because of all the foot notes.

footnotes on kindle are a total pain in the ass

Yeah. There's no reason why they couldn't be easier to read...you should be able to view as a pop-up or something.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1042 on: June 30, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
Not only that, but Kindle's book marks implementation is such that if, say, you have:

Book Pages: 1-800
Footnotes Pages: 801-1000

The MOMENT you click on a link to a footnote, that is now your furthest read point and all your bookmarks will sync point after the "end" of the book, and you can't track your progress in the actual book easily anymore, etc. etc. really terrible.
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1043 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
Yeah, this is why I imagine Kindle is a terrible option for textbooks/reference books. Searching is a pain in the ass, and there are no multiple bookmarks. It is also too slow to page through. Still early days though.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1044 on: August 03, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »

absolutely fascinating read.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1045 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
preach it Eric P

I think it will go down as one of the most important books of our lifetimes.
vjj

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1046 on: August 03, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
SMH Corma   :lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1047 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »
preach it Eric P

i essentially immediately changed my diet, to the annoyance of the gf.

Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1048 on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »

Yello there peanut gallery
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1049 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
preach it Eric P

i essentially immediately changed my diet, to the annoyance of the gf.

It is indeed very irritating to significant others, but you may as well find out now whether she is going to respect your decisions or not. We'll be seeing you in Fitness Bore soon I trust! :)
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1050 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
well after several aborted attempts to lose weight and exercise while working a full time job and going out 3-4 times a week to photograph concerts, I had kind of wanted to hold off visiting there again for fear of just dropping out of the routine. 

I've actually been doing the couch to 5k program for the past 3 weeks (just finished w3d3 this morning) and have stopped shooting so I can at least have a proper amount of sleep while i get started.  I actually went out for the first time the night before a run day and I was just worthless on the run this morning.  I completed it, but I'm not proud of my time distance or pace at all, so I need to keep evenings before a run clear at this point.

I haven't gone full paleo just yet, but I've totally cut out anything which is a carb carrier (goodbye morning cereal, hello morning chicken sausage and salad) or has sugar and have dropped down to one serving of fruit a day.

It is indeed very irritating to significant others,

"you should really read this book!"  "eh"
"you should at least read this article in the nytimes"  "eh"
"you should take a look at this blog post" "eh"
"how about these 10 sentences which sum up the entire book?" "eh"

I'm basically stopping at this point, because I gather that there is nothing more annoying than a recent convert to some new system.  I hope to let the results speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:41:15 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1051 on: August 03, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
good luck with that...my wife has had 4 years of watching me eat meat, vegetables and fat in quantities that she thought would kill me in 6 months...still thinks i'm going to drop dead in 6 months
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1052 on: August 03, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Has she had any comment about the weight you've lost, or does she put that down to the exercise you're doing?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1053 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
there hasn't actually been much visible change yet.  though i was running i wasn't really the best of eaters, so there hasn't been anything too dramatic. 

to keep this on topic, i just finished reading the excellent Logicomix which is about Bertrand Russel and his quest for a way to demonstrate truth using logic.  Very well told.
Tonya

cool breeze

« Reply #1054 on: August 03, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I went to a bookstore the other day and looked for that.  They didn't have it, but they had Taube's Why We Get Fat.  It was on the bottom of a diet book shelf, hidden between random other books, while The Bitch Diet and Abs Diet were filling the premium shelf space.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1055 on: August 03, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
there hasn't actually been much visible change yet.  though i was running i wasn't really the best of eaters, so there hasn't been anything too dramatic. 

to keep this on topic, i just finished reading the excellent Logicomix which is about Bertrand Russel and his quest for a way to demonstrate truth using logic.  Very well told.

Bertrand Russell is a stone cold boss, next you should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mathematician's_Apology
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1056 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »
Linkzg -

Why We Get Fat is basically the layman's version of Good Calories, Bad Calories. If you can take it on faith to an extent that what he backs up what is saying in great detail in GCBC, Why We Get Fat is a much better read. You'll buzz through it, get all the big ideas, and then you can look into GCBC for more detail if you want later.
vjj

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1057 on: August 04, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
It really isn't that complicated though. Eat healthy shit. Exercise.

Of course if you have no clue what's healthy then yeah you got to read up.

No?

I don't get it.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1058 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Eat healthy shit.

that's where the complications arise.  what western society has been told has been "healthy" for the past 40 years with regards to low fat diets may actually be extraordinarily bad for us.  the book is a thorough dismantling of bad science and bad journalism highlighting studies which were ignored because they didn't fit "conventional wisdom." Conventional wisdom which was a lot of bunk anyway.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1059 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
It really isn't that complicated though. Eat healthy shit. Exercise.

Of course if you have no clue what's healthy then yeah you got to read up.

No?

I don't get it.

Really. Nutritional science is 'not that complicated'. I suppose it would look that way to you, with your Ph.D in biochemistry and your 43 published papers in medical journals.
vjj

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1060 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
Sorry Corma if I offended you, no reason to be picky  :heartbeat

Eat healthy shit.

that's where the complications arise.  what western society has been told has been "healthy" for the past 40 years with regards to low fat diets may actually be extraordinarily bad for us.  the book is a thorough dismantling of bad science and bad journalism highlighting studies which were ignored because they didn't fit "conventional wisdom." Conventional wisdom which was a lot of bunk anyway.

Just a hunch. Low fat diet is bad, since you need fats and they fill you up more then carbs?

Eat high carb food in the eve. Fatty foods in the morning?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Im just repeating what I read in Mens Health yesterday
[close]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:55:44 AM by Premium Lager »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1061 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »

seems a weird book, making controversy over things that've been popularly discussed for at least a decade or two now...
___

cool breeze

« Reply #1062 on: August 04, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Linkzg -

Why We Get Fat is basically the layman's version of Good Calories, Bad Calories. If you can take it on faith to an extent that what he backs up what is saying in great detail in GCBC, Why We Get Fat is a much better read. You'll buzz through it, get all the big ideas, and then you can look into GCBC for more detail if you want later.

yeah, I read up a bit on the two earlier (just the page count difference is telling).  I was looking for GCBC for someone else who needs the detail, and I assume the included research and data specificity, to consider Taubes' reasoning.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1063 on: August 04, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
Was wondering if the August Derleth continuation of the Cthulhu Mythos was any good and where to start so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think so personally.  I don't think many of the pastiches live up to HPL.

If you're looking for people working directly in the Cthulhu Mythos, I can't be too much help, but it you want that same weirdness, I got you covered.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1064 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
Thomas Ligotti is number one.
Laird Barron is number two.
Wilum H. Pugmire is number three.
Caitlin Kiernan is number four (but I would save her for last.  She gets extremely referential.  The more you know about the people below, the better you'll be before you wander into her works).

Check out the authors HPL mentions in Supernatural Horror in Literature  (if you haven't read this, you absolutely should.  It's short and categorized into some nice easily digestible chapters.

My favorite of his "Modern Masters" is Arthur Machen.  Check out The White People and The Great God Pan.  You can't go wrong with Algernon Blackwood.  The Willows or The Wendigo should be enough to get you started.  Though not Mythos related at all, you may like M.R. James's ghost stories.  He wrote many of the absolute best ghost stories and this collects all but four of them, I believe.

Also,  Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E Howard's Weird /  Horror tales should do you well.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1065 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
i read a stupid amount of horror and most of what i enjoy is lovecraft and earlier, so i can make suggestions along these lines for quite a while.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1066 on: August 21, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
I bought a bunch of cheap paperbacks a few weeks ago, decided to start this one:

I want to read something weird, something a little different and by all accounts Lord Tyger fits the bill for that. Apparently it's a deconstruction of the Tarzan mythos with lots of sex thrown in. Only just read the first few pages, so I'll see how it goes from there.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1067 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
i lost count of all the phallic symbols on that cover
vjj

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1068 on: August 21, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »

One of my favorite Warhammer 40k novels to date. Its nice being able to read about Astartes Chapters that betrayed the Emperor without having to spend the whole book reading about the kinky weird shit the Blood God is into. Order the second book on Amazon- totally reading that after I finish Battle of the Fang
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1069 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
Ready Player One

sucked so hard, but I felt I "had" to for professional reasons

imagine Family Guy crossed with VH1's I Love the 80s, as narrated by a constantly winking Redditor about how we geeks know what he's talking about, right? wink wink

no fucking clue how they're going to turn it into a movie as 95% of the book is namedropping copyrighted works from the 80s. for example, the main character drives a Delorean with KITT installed, Ghostbuster decals on the side, and outfitted with Buckaroo Banzai's matter phasing Oscillation Overthruster. extrapolate that for 384 pages and you have yourself a book (or at least a screenplay deal)

Recommended for people who really like when other people know about the things you know about, too
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:06:17 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1070 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
The Party: The Secret World Of China's Communist Rulers
http://www.amazon.ca/Party-Secret-Chinas-Communist-Rulers/dp/0061708771

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1071 on: August 30, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
Low Town- sub Scott Lynch fantasy.  Oh god why am I reading this?  Why am I telling the internet that I'm reading it?

The last book I read, The Last Werewolf, is probably the absolute best thing I've read this year.
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1072 on: August 30, 2011, 02:40:32 PM »
I'm reading The Next 100 Years by George Friedman.  Interesting, but a lot of it sounds way too optimistic for the US

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1073 on: August 30, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »
Recently finished

Night Lords are the best Chaos Marines. I enjoyed this book and the book I am currently reading because they feature Chaos Marine chapters that don't actually embrace the warp like the followers of Abaddon do. It places them in this weird grey area- they recognize the stagnation within the emperium- and instead of choosing to continue to follow the Emperor- decide to just devote themselves to vengeance against whatever chapter pisses them off the most. This book also lets you view Abaddons war from the eyes of a chapter that doesnt entirely buy into it- allowing you to see how fragile the forces of chaos actually are in terms of manpower and resources. I also really enjoyed how the author went into describing the sad torment of being a Dreadnought and why theyre called on so rarely.

Currently reading

Great stuff- this is one of the Space Marine Battles books, which usually boil down to shitloads of bad guys vs not shitloads of space marines. Helsreach is my favorite so far with The Purging of Kadillus being my least favorite.

Reading next

Second and latest book in the night lord series- cant wait. I've also thought about looking into the Salamander series but i'll just wait that one out for an omnibus.
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1074 on: August 30, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
I bought a bunch of cheap paperbacks a few weeks ago, decided to start this one:

I want to read something weird, something a little different and by all accounts Lord Tyger fits the bill for that. Apparently it's a deconstruction of the Tarzan mythos with lots of sex thrown in. Only just read the first few pages, so I'll see how it goes from there.

Been reading some more of this and it is quite weird. Lord Tyger is basically Tarzan if Tarzan had sex, like, ALL THE TIME.
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1075 on: September 02, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »

Finished this, and I really liked it- I think as far as Space Marine Battles books go its my new favorite, with Helsreach close behind. I think my favorite part of GOOD Warhammer 40k novels is that they dont go for the easy ending- or rather the ending that's easy on the characters in the book. I think that's part of the reason I wasn't huge on the first Sisters of Battle book- the ending was too clean and neat; I mean there was still the idea of sacrifice and sucking it up- but it just felt like the end of a hollywood production. Im hoping the second Sisters of Battle book out later this year is different. So this book gets two thumbs up, read Helsreach after that- avoid Purging of Kaladus. I haven't read any of the others yet.

Im on the fence if ill read the second Night Lords novel next, as planned, or read the new Grant Morrison book Supergods
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1076 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
Supergods is best read in short chunks, I think. It's very episodic in nature.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1077 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:18 AM »
this metal dude on the train kept looking at me on the way home yesterday.  turns out we were both reading supergods.  #touchingnerdmoment

I'm up to the silver age stuff.  It's interesting that his favorite hero is The Flash, but he's never done a Flash story, has he?
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1078 on: September 03, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
He wrote the regular book for a while.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1079 on: September 03, 2011, 06:26:59 AM »
(i.e. Wally West, Flash vol. 2)