Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 683921 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1440 on: February 12, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through Yalta: the Price of Peace by S.M. Plokhy.  Great book, but gets a little bogged down in these later pages.  Still, fascinating to see the diplomatic duelling and the interplay between Stalin, FDR, and Churchill.
MMA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1441 on: February 23, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks to tons of boring conference calls at work, I've been using a lot of the Kindle app on the iPhone, with my Kindle showing 11 books read so far in the past month or so.  So I've been tearing through books like how I tear through your mom's asshole.

This is a fun and light read.  There's a lot to the internet that I didn't know apparently going from the internet subcultures described here.  The downside is that there are too many personal anecdotes that Zack has put in there.  Surely there must be plenty of fertile ground of fucked up internet freaks and losers to write about?  It's a good book.
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1442 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
Im trying to be all smart- put down the warhammer for a book, reading East of Eden- good book so far.
o_0

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1443 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
I started A Dance With Dragons the other day.
nat

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1444 on: February 25, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
Im trying to be all smart- put down the warhammer for a book, reading East of Eden- good book so far.

I've had this book for years but every time I picked it up it's been at the wrong time that I've never in the mood for delving into something non goofy.
___

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1445 on: February 25, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »

I've had this book for years but every time I picked it up it's been at the wrong time that I've never in the mood for delving into something non goofy.

Its pretty great so far
o_0

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1446 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »

A mind-bending novel in which an alternate history of 9/11 and its aftermath uncovers startling truths about America and the Middle East

11/9/2001: Christian fundamentalists hijack four jetliners. They fly two into the Tigris & Euphrates World Trade Towers in Baghdad, and a third into the Arab Defense Ministry in Riyadh. The fourth plane, believed to be bound for Mecca, is brought down by its passengers.

The United Arab States declares a War on Terror. Arabian and Persian troops invade the Eastern Seaboard and establish a Green Zone in Washington, D.C. . . .

Summer, 2009: Arab Homeland Security agent Mustafa al Baghdadi interrogates a captured suicide bomber. The prisoner claims that the world they are living in is a mirage—in the real world, America is a superpower, and the Arab states are just a collection of "backward third-world countries." A search of the bomber's apartment turns up a copy of The New York Times, dated September 12, 2001, that appears to support his claim. Other captured terrorists have been telling the same story. The president wants answers, but Mustafa soon discovers he's not the only interested party.

The gangster Saddam Hussein is conducting his own investigation. And the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee—a war hero named Osama bin Laden—will stop at nothing to hide the truth. As Mustafa and his colleagues venture deeper into the unsettling world of terrorism, politics, and espionage, they are confronted with questions without any rational answers, and the terrifying possibility that their world is not what it seems.

Acclaimed novelist Matt Ruff has created a shadow world that is eerily recognizable but, at the same time, almost unimaginable. Gripping, subversive, and unexpectedly moving, The Mirage probes our deepest convictions and most arresting fears.

I just started it on the train today, so I don't have a solid opinion yet.  It reads very quickly though and I am quite enjoying it and am curious to see how it turns out.
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1447 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
Ruff's a good writer, but this Man in the High Castle-esque riff is probably going to get him Salman Rushdie'd. Except with Americans.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1448 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
I've only read Bad Monkeys and this so I don't have much experience with the guy.  Really enjoying Mirage but I get the subtle nagging feeling that this was written for an audience, an audience into which i fall squarely, and so I get to enjoy it.  I'm curious what non-Americans would think of this.  It feels slight; like a less funny Christopher Buckley book.
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1449 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
dance with dragons is way better than feast for crows. way way better.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1450 on: February 28, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Dance with Dragons spoiler theory question:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is Coldhands Benjen Stark?
[close]
nat

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1451 on: February 29, 2012, 11:47:32 PM »
Dance with Dragons spoiler theory question:
Is Coldhands Benjen Stark?
[close]

I don't think so. At one point the child of the forest mentions that Coldhands died "long ago." That could mean he died a couple years ago in which case it could be Benjen, but I got the impression it mean long ago as in ages ago; plus, considering the child was hundreds of years old, I doubt 2-3 years would qualify as "long ago" to her.

The only candidates I see thrown around are Benjen, Stonesnake (the ranger who was with Jon and Halfhand in ACOK, and climbed into the mountains to return to the Wall; the appendices still list him as being alive), and the Night's King. The Westeros forum has some crazy theories
[close]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1452 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
The Man From Primrose Lane is fucking insane.  I'm about 250 pages into it and it just kicked up the crazy and the book took a wild turn into this strange landscape.  I hesitate to say more about it, because it really should be discovered on its own, but I am just loving it so far.

A mind-bending, genre-twisting debut novel

In West Akron, Ohio, there lived a reclusive elderly man who always wore mittens, even in July. He had no friends and no family; all over town, he was known as the Man from Primrose Lane. And on a summer day, someone murdered him.

Fast-forward four years. David Neff, the bestselling author of a true-crime book about an Ohio serial killer, is a broken man after his wife’s inexplicable suicide. When an unexpected visit from an old friend introduces him to the strange mystery of “the man with a thousand mittens,” David decides to investigate. What he finds draws him back into a world he thought he had left behind forever. And the closer David gets to uncovering the true identity of the Man from Primrose Lane, the more he begins to understand the dangerous power of his own obsessions and how they may be connected to the deaths of both the old hermit and his beloved wife.

Deviously plotted and full of dark wit, James Renner’s The Man from Primrose Lane is an audacious debut that boasts as many twists as a roller coaster. But beneath its turns, it’s a spellbinding story about our obsessions: the dangerous sway they have over us and the fates of those we love.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1453 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »
Finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Wow. I've had the opportunity to read a lot of books on this deployments. A lot of them have been really good. Some have been entertaining, some have been interesting, some have been informative, but this is the most interesting book I've read in the last year. It took me a little longer than usual because I couldn't read it straight through. I could only read a chapter or two, and then I would have to put it down and think about it for just as long as I read for. I don't think I've ever actually read any books on philosophy before, unless Sidartha counts. Consider me mindfucked.

That book rocked my tiny, teen-aged mind back when I read it in high school.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1454 on: March 13, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »
Was sick and read the Hunger Games (it took me about a day a book - and I'm a slow reader). Enjoyable.

:shrug
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1455 on: March 14, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »
Finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Wow. I've had the opportunity to read a lot of books on this deployments. A lot of them have been really good. Some have been entertaining, some have been interesting, some have been informative, but this is the most interesting book I've read in the last year. It took me a little longer than usual because I couldn't read it straight through. I could only read a chapter or two, and then I would have to put it down and think about it for just as long as I read for. I don't think I've ever actually read any books on philosophy before, unless Sidartha counts. Consider me mindfucked.

Pretty amazing, isn't it. I didn't get much out of the follow-up though.
vjj

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1456 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »

Most people who do read philosophy will say you still haven't read a philosophy book.  Though I've never read Zen so I can't confirm if it's true.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1457 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
It's not a textbook, no but it qualifies as a 'book on philosophy' though, just like 'Sophie's Choice'. At the very least it's a novel of ideas.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1458 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
finished The Man from Primrose Lane last night and it is really, really, really, really good.  an excellent mind bending sci-fi mystery.

now i'm reading will mcintoshs Soft Apocalypse which is about people in their 20s trying to survive the collapse of the United States.  It's treating the apocalypse much like the last 3 years turned up to 11.  Huge unemployment, bands of modern gypsies, people with humanities degrees living in the street with one another just to survive etc.

edit: jesus christ this book is depressing.  it's about people caught in the middle of the collapse, not some hard nosed survivalists, it's about people  just trying to get by which makes it all the more gut wrenching; that slow steady and inescapable decline where there is no way out and there are no winners.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:46:40 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1459 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
That book rocked my tiny, teen-aged mind back when I read it in high school.

Well it just rocked my tiny mid-20s mind. :(

That was when I read it, too. It's very good. It was a favorite book of a high school friend of mine who passed early, due to illness. Anyone who says it's not a philosophical book can ponder the meaning of existential pain as delivered by the tips of my boots.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1460 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:46 AM »
Reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time right now.

Great stuff so far. Cast Ulillillia as Christopher for the film adaptation.
zzzzz

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #1461 on: March 24, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
What would be the Asimov books I really need to check out? I've already gone through most the Foundation series, and although I felt there was quite a drop off after the first couple of books I wasn't dissapointed in any of them. I've also read Fountains of Paradise which I really enjoyed, but after that I'm a blank slate and wouldn't mind checking out more of his stuff.

A friend recently lent me a copy of To Say Nothing of the Dog. Surprised I haven't heard of the author before since she's picked up some crazy number of sci-fi awards. The book was mostly about time travel and the protagonist trying to cope with life in victorian england. It's a lot of fun and comes across as a homage to victorian comedies like the Jeeves books and Three Men In A Boat, but with a bit of a mystery element thrown in as well. If you're looking for some light sci-fi with a bit of comedy then you could do far worse than this.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1462 on: March 24, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
What would be the Asimov books I really need to check out? I've already gone through most the Foundation series, and although I felt there was quite a drop off after the first couple of books I wasn't dissapointed in any of them. I've also read Fountains of Paradise which I really enjoyed, but after that I'm a blank slate and wouldn't mind checking out more of his stuff.

I, Robot?
dog

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #1463 on: March 24, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
I, Robot?

I think I was put off by the film, which I now know is a damn fool reason otherwise I'd believe I Am Legend is trash. I'll pick it up on the next trip to the library.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1464 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
I started The Girl Who Played with Fire. I didn't read the first book (just watched the movie) so hopefully it was accurate enough where I won't miss anything.

Pretty early on but it's cool.
nat

Himu

« Reply #1465 on: April 02, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
A bit behind on my read 50 books goal, but I'm up to 13 read so far, which is pretty solid.

Currently reading:

Caitlin R. Kiernan's The Drowning Girl

Marty Neumeier's The Brand Gap: How to Bridge the Distance Between Business Strategy and Design

Fred Rogers' Dear Mr. Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?: Letters to Mr. Rogers

I'm reading The Brand Gap for work and it may very well have changed or influenced a part of my thinking Highly recommended for anyone who operates within a production/art/business related profession.

I also highly suggest the Fred Rogers book if you're looking for something to help you grow as a person or wisdom.
IYKYK

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1466 on: April 03, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »

I've got that on my list of books to read.  Also been told to read The Dharma Bums.  Apparently it's right on the same level. 

Just finished (finally) A Feast for Crows and I can't decide if I want to go ahead and read ADWD or burn through The Hunger Games and the rest of that trilogy.

Thoughts, readingBore?
WTF

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1467 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
ADWD is pretty good, but it's rather long and some POVs (*cough* Dany) gets repetitive.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1468 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Cthulhu.

Read the first two stories; the first one was by China Mielville and it was pretty good, the second one was by some random dude and it was lame. Such is the way.
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1469 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
The Hunger Games is a good pallet cleaner before you dive into ADWD.
nat

Robo

« Reply #1470 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
The Dharma Bums is a difficult read, I found.  Difficult, as in, incredibly irritating.
obo

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1471 on: April 04, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

A mind-bending novel in which an alternate history of 9/11 and its aftermath uncovers startling truths about America and the Middle East

11/9/2001: Christian fundamentalists hijack four jetliners. They fly two into the Tigris & Euphrates World Trade Towers in Baghdad, and a third into the Arab Defense Ministry in Riyadh. The fourth plane, believed to be bound for Mecca, is brought down by its passengers.

The United Arab States declares a War on Terror. Arabian and Persian troops invade the Eastern Seaboard and establish a Green Zone in Washington, D.C. . . .

Summer, 2009: Arab Homeland Security agent Mustafa al Baghdadi interrogates a captured suicide bomber. The prisoner claims that the world they are living in is a mirage—in the real world, America is a superpower, and the Arab states are just a collection of "backward third-world countries." A search of the bomber's apartment turns up a copy of The New York Times, dated September 12, 2001, that appears to support his claim. Other captured terrorists have been telling the same story. The president wants answers, but Mustafa soon discovers he's not the only interested party.

The gangster Saddam Hussein is conducting his own investigation. And the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee—a war hero named Osama bin Laden—will stop at nothing to hide the truth. As Mustafa and his colleagues venture deeper into the unsettling world of terrorism, politics, and espionage, they are confronted with questions without any rational answers, and the terrifying possibility that their world is not what it seems.

Acclaimed novelist Matt Ruff has created a shadow world that is eerily recognizable but, at the same time, almost unimaginable. Gripping, subversive, and unexpectedly moving, The Mirage probes our deepest convictions and most arresting fears.

I just started it on the train today, so I don't have a solid opinion yet.  It reads very quickly though and I am quite enjoying it and am curious to see how it turns out.

I thought that Osama was a much better, more haunting take on very similar themes. Would strongly recommend (free to read for Prime members!)

Bookmarked The Man on Primrose Lane for later. Have also heard good things about The Drowned Girl.

I'm finishing up The Name of the Rose (for the first time, believe it or not) now. Somehow nobody told me it was a about an AWESOME SCIENCE DETECTIVE investigating the MYSTERY OF THE LIBRARY TESSERACT and mostly focused on how accurately it depicted 14th century complines zzzzz.

On a Vance kick; books in the Vance Integral Edition started getting converted to $6 eBooks, so that's rad.

Picked up Anathem for $1.99, though apparently I should just skip to REAMDE by all accounts.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:33:52 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1472 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
Haunting?  Boy, if I want Haunting, I'd pick up some Shirley Jackson.  I wanted CSI: ALTERNAMUSLIM PEW PEW and that's what I got.

I just finished Threats by Amelia Gray and really liked it.  I also liked Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh.  I have his new book Hitchers on my shelf waiting to be read, but that's like 4 books down the pile.
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1473 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »

Excellent read- does a good job identifying the key events that created an environment where things like Iran-Contra, military privatization, and the gradual militarization of the CIA can occur, and how disconnecting americans from the sacrifice of war has promoted endless engagements.

I think my favorite thing about this book is how she pretty much skipped the beaten-to-death 9/11-post 9/11 GW Bush era issues to focus on what's currently going on in the Obama admin (drones, strike on osama in pakistan, etc..).

This book is more about the current American attitude towards war and how it got this way- not about right versus left. We ALL suck! Also its easy to read for people like me who buy more WarHammer 40k books than anything else ;)
o_0

Beezy

« Reply #1474 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
I'll check that out. I like all things war related, but I almost never watch or read about anything that happened recently.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1475 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:18 AM »
Live from New York - I don't watch SNL at all but I bought it because I heard people liked to ravage Chevy Chase.  For the record, I never thought Chevy Chase was that funny (a rare thing communitytards and myself agree on) and to have a book where not one good thing was said about him was worth a couple of bucks.

This makes book #27 for the year.  I'm really enjoying reading Kindle books on my iPhone and laptop.
🍆🍆

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1476 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
started to the lighthouse by virginia woolf last night, only 30 pages but the prose reminds me a bit of malcolm lowry which is nice! was on a short story kick before this: read the death of ivan ilyich and other stories by tolstoy, happy ever after was meh but ivan ilyich and cossacks were awesome. the turn of the screw and the aspern papers by henry james, i still don't really know how i feel this, at times i would think james has captured an emotion and character amazingly and at other times his prose felt awkward. the complete short novels by anton chekhov, the steppe starts of really slow and had me baffled as to why this man is praised so highly specifically for his short stories but fuck the last 2 or 3 chapters get really good and the quality persists throughout the collection, every bit as good as gogol's short stories imo

« Reply #1477 on: April 13, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I thought that Osama was a much better, more haunting take on very similar themes. Would strongly recommend (free to read for Prime members!)

Bookmarked The Man on Primrose Lane for later. Have also heard good things about The Drowned Girl.

I'm finishing up The Name of the Rose (for the first time, believe it or not) now. Somehow nobody told me it was a about an AWESOME SCIENCE DETECTIVE investigating the MYSTERY OF THE LIBRARY TESSERACT and mostly focused on how accurately it depicted 14th century complines zzzzz.

On a Vance kick; books in the Vance Integral Edition started getting converted to $6 eBooks, so that's rad.

Picked up Anathem for $1.99, though apparently I should just skip to REAMDE by all accounts.

Ruff was on Seattle NPR a while back talking abou the book. I love alternate history novels like this, so I'm interested, but will proabably wait until it shows up at Half Price Boks.
野球

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1478 on: April 13, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
I'm reading The Expats by Chris Pavone.  Loving wife is former CIA spy who has trouble adjusting to normal life once she retires.  It's a total summer read, so it's heavy on plot plot plot, but I'm enjoying it well enough.

I just finished reading The Vanishers which is about female psychodrama and it was fucking excellent.
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1479 on: April 13, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
As a reward for finishing a whole book not about murdering filthy xenos in the name of the emperor- I nookbook'ed Mirage
o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1480 on: April 13, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
this is about murdering filthy foreigners in the name of allah!
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1481 on: April 13, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
I guess it's not much of a change then- it also makes what I normally read sound way more intellectual too
o_0

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1482 on: April 14, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
i just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire.

the book is a very engaging and well written. luckily the fincher movie is pretty accurate so there wasnt much i missed by not reading the first book. though i may go back and do that anyway.

theres a few instances where it seems characters will come to conclusions for arbitrary reasons. like eiher by sheer luck or for no other reason then that particular moment being best for the plot.

that being said its very entertaining, tells a pretty good crime story and when the pieces start coming together it does seem that real thought was put into developing the "puzzle" of it all.

sooo on to the final book. ive read that its apparently the best of the three so im looking forward to starting it.
nat

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #1483 on: April 14, 2012, 05:31:30 AM »
I just started this one a week ago... seems alright so far, seems a bit simple though. But whatever. On ward!
:-[

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1484 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »
just wrapped The Expats this morning.  total airport reading, but really entertaining.  the final chunk of the book is everyone talking about how clever they are with their various machinations so it kind of ground the book to a halt.  can't wait for hollywood to ruin the film version.
Tonya

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #1485 on: April 14, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Just got round to reading Iain M banks latest Culture novel, Surface Detail. The premise is that some societies have taken it upon themselves to create Hells in virtual reality to which citizens can be sent when they die. There is now a 'War in Heaven' to decide whether these Hells should continue to exist.

It's a slow start with several disparate plot points that mostly converge to an explosive finale, so pretty much par for the course for a Culture story. I did get the feeling that it needed more of an editor's influence as there were quite a few moments that felt completely superfluous. There is one character who feels like is meant to be a major part of the story, but by the end has done nothing that was relevant to the plot, just that Banks had thought up these set-pieces for her to be part of and he was unwilling to drop them. The ending was a little too neat with everybody getting what they deserved, but at least it wasn't as sudden and depressing as it was in the last Culture book.

If you're already a fan of the series then you're probably going to enjoy this book, but I'm not sure if it's a good jumping on point to anyone who's new to it. There is certainly quite a bit of terminolgy used that might be off-putting if you aren't already familiar with it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1486 on: April 14, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
Use Of Weapons is generally regarded as the best jumping point to enter the series right? I loved that book

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1487 on: April 14, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »

100 pages in and it's already depressing me.
Tonya

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #1488 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
Use Of Weapons is generally regarded as the best jumping point to enter the series right? I loved that book

Yeah, that's an excellent suggestion. Most of it's from the viewpoint of an outsider to the Culture so you learn stuff with him. Also probably my favourite of the series. A lot of people absolutely hated the twist at the end though.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1489 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Night-Lords-Aaron-Dembski-Bowden/dp/1849701490/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I144GZ0MC2J0TW&colid=2QM6L71N76HFT

Latest (and last?) book in the Night Lords series is out this month. Even if you're new to Warhammer 40k this series is a great entry point imo.

Aaron is also behind the next Grey Knights book- and I love me some Grey Knights.

o_0

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #1490 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »
Goddam, there are so many warhammer novels. I was originally thinking of getting into the Horus Heresy series when it wrapped up and some omnibuses were released, but they're still churning them out. Doesn't help that friends tell me the quality has started to vary dramatically. Last 40K book I read was Daemon World which was a pleasant surprise given I went in with fairly low expectations.

Beezy

« Reply #1491 on: April 17, 2012, 02:57:20 AM »
I don't remember when or how I got it (doesn't look like I paid for it), but I read The Score by Richard Stark on my kindle over the two days. Fun lil story. I'll have to look into the other Parker novels.

Also finished Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes last week. I had read about a third of Good Calories, Bad Calories last year, but all the in depth research and medical descriptions made me lose interest. This was a much more straightforward read. Now I'm back to avoiding carbs and checking the nutrition facts on everything. :lol

I need more books. I haven't been too into games lately. :(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:59:58 AM by Beezy »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1492 on: April 17, 2012, 03:07:23 AM »
Best fantasy book I have read since the Magician.

US cover

EU cover

Other?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:09:04 AM by Premium Lager »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1493 on: April 17, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »
Horus Heresy is something you get into later, start with the various series, find your favorite authors.
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2012, 03:15:03 AM »
Avoid Gav Thorpe's stuff. He's boring.
o_0

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
http://www.pulitzer.org/ what's up with there being no award for fiction?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

There's a panel that selects finalists for each category and then the finalists are presented to the Pulitzer board. If the board doesn't like any of the nominations, then no one wins. (I know this from reading about Gravity's Rainbow, which was unanimously nominated by the fiction panel, but then rejected by the board)
©@©™

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
Read Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult to test out the kindle app and reading on the iphone.

Can't say if I'd recommend it. I was hoping for more wilderness and such, not the courtroom drama it ended up as. And the resolution was too squeaky clean. Big theme is dealing with comatose patients and when/if they should be taken off life support. A couple explanations for characters actions were not explained, which leaves questions.

3/5
dur

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1498 on: April 17, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »

There's a panel that selects finalists for each category and then the finalists are presented to the Pulitzer board. If the board doesn't like any of the nominations, then no one wins. (I know this from reading about Gravity's Rainbow, which was unanimously nominated by the fiction panel, but then rejected by the board)
yeah i remember reading how gr was too obscene to win or something along those lines and also they worried if pynchon would even show up

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1499 on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »
I keep saying I'm going to start The Name Of The Wind but I never do, despite the rave reviews