Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082965 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Warlords of Rona
« Reply #9180 on: June 23, 2020, 12:33:54 PM »
It's 400k of 83m.  The total lockdown gave Germany the ability to now just lockdown 0.5% of its pop instead of all of it again.  So while you are right that the main purpose of the lockdown was to mitigate hospitalizations, it also has many other benefits.  While we were never going to completely contain the virus, the lockdown has made it possible for many local areas to get it down to a traceable population or (temporarily) eliminate.  My guess is that places that are able to get it back down to a traceable-level will see a much better economic recovery than those that only did a partial shutdown.  I'd also argue that a post lockdown normalcy, even with large restrictions would probably be more normal than if we just let the virus run rampant, just because if it gets bad enough people will self-quarantine, so you will then just have shutdown but with the fear of thousands of deaths every day. 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9182 on: June 23, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »
What is the y axis?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #9183 on: June 23, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #9184 on: June 23, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
That the restaurant industry is fucked. That or smaller restaurants need their own targeted bailout.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:45:32 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9185 on: June 23, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
Arizona at +3,593 already today

Leadbelly

« Reply #9186 on: June 23, 2020, 12:48:41 PM »
It's 400k of 83m.  The total lockdown gave Germany the ability to now just lockdown 0.5% of its pop instead of all of it again.  So while you are right that the main purpose of the lockdown was to mitigate hospitalizations, it also has many other benefits.  While we were never going to completely contain the virus, lockdown has made it possible for many local areas to get it down to a traceable population or (temporarily) eliminate.  My guess is that places that are able to get it back down to a tracable-level will see a much better economic recovery than those that only did a partial shutdown.

That could be true. It could ultimately make the virus more manageable. Not necessarily because of the lockdown in itself, but because we're better prepared now. South Korea didn't really have a lockdown, they were just better prepared, for instance. The lockdown simply allowed us to control the virus at a time when we weren't really prepared or knew what we were dealing with. As for better economic recovery, that is much harder to predict.

There is a lot that could go right or wrong with either strategy. Even with South Korea, who handled the virus the best, there is a lot that could go wrong. South Korea may actually need a vaccine even more than other countries. Mainly because dealing with the virus so successfully means almost no one has had the virus. There is 0 immunity in the population. All it takes is for a percentage of people to slip through and there is a problem there. Again, it doesn't mean they will have a problem, only that anything could go right or wrong in the coming months or years. We simply don't know until it's over.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9187 on: June 23, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
Looks like the percentage drop YOY.

But not sure what point that person is trying to make even.

I believe he's saying that local governments can open up the economy, but people won't participate if they don't feel safe. Clearly, diners in Houston were starting to feel safe (around 80% of normal reservations) but are starting to stay away again because cases are rising fast in the state.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9188 on: June 23, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
It's frustrating because there is a clear way to "live with Covid" and we're not doing it. Mandatory masks in public spaces, free testing, voluntary contact tracing.

Instead of just biting the bullet and doing it now, we're (US) just going to putz around all summer with these half-assed measures until we finally get fatigued by it never getting any better.  If we get fatigued. I don't even know where that theoretical line is ...

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9189 on: June 23, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
The YOY numbers aren't what you should be focusing on, it's the change in recent behavior based upon the surge of new cases in the area.

tl/dr: You don't have an economy if you don't have public safety.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9190 on: June 23, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
There is a lot that could go right or wrong with either strategy. Even with South Korea, who handled the virus the best, there is a lot that could go wrong. South Korea may actually need a vaccine even more than other countries. Mainly because dealing with the virus so successfully means almost no one has had the virus. There is 0 immunity in the population. All it takes is for a percentage of people to slip through and there is a problem there. Again, it doesn't mean they will have a problem, only that anything could go right or wrong in the coming months or years. We simply don't know until it's over.

Yeah and they still have a ton of older people who are vulnerable because they're still alive. A real double-edged sword.

Bebpo

« Reply #9191 on: June 23, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »
Welp, when I went over to my parents house for father's day I noticed my dad was coughing a bit (no masks, but we were outdoors and he was sitting about 10-15 feet away), but my dad has a cough here and there normally so it wasn't that odd.

Was talking to my mom this morning and she goes oh he had a small stroke or something right after that and couldn't remember the names of anyone or anything for about an hour and then was fine. Then he had a fever the next day (Monday), but now he doesn't have a fever and just feels under the weather. He's probably just overworked.  :doge

And I'm like he should get tested for covid. And so now we're going to try get my dad to go get tested. He's been out the most out of everyone in our family. He wears a mask and keeps social distance, but he's been going out to his buddy events again and he goes into work every day and goes to shops and markets and stuff. So he's always been the most likely to catch Covid in our family. Hopefully he gets tested and is negative. Definitely concerned about him.

Tiny bit concerned about myself if he tested positive since he was coughing at me on father's day for a hour or so, but again it was outdoors in the backyard and like 10-15 feet away so I'm not too worried about myself.

Clockwork5

« Reply #9192 on: June 23, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
Looks like the percentage drop YOY.

But not sure what point that person is trying to make even.
That last drop is super steep. With everything open there they were only down 10% for a day or so but then people are like “Well we went out to eat, time to go back home.” and restaurants are back to a 75% drop from last year.

I’m hoping my strong resume might help me transition to POS sales and I can get out of restaurants. I’ll miss them though. Spent the last 20 years working my way up to managing James Beard award winning restaurants and building wine lists and cocktail programs but I kinda dread dealing with Maga distinguished mentally-challenged fellows in 2020.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:57:45 PM by Clockwork5 »

Clockwork5

« Reply #9193 on: June 23, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
Like I said though.. that last drop is comparing YOY a monday after father's day with a Sunday from the following year. 

Yearly YOY for a restaurant is going to have all kinds of weird dips and spikes because the days don't line up nor all of the holidays.

It'd be like GameStop doing a YOY graph and ignoring that release dates don't line up.

I HOPE people in places like Houston are getting the news and not going out.. but that chart doesn't really prove anything since you can't fairly compare a Monday in the restaurant biz to a Sunday.
I don’t want to assume anything but anyone in the restaurant industry who knows anything would use a rolling 7 day average for these types of YOY comparisons for the exact reasons you have put forward. I would think Open Table would know to do this and it looks like they have considering the somewhat stable trend before the lockdown.

Edit: Idk that dip is REALLY steep for a rolling average and it looks like it is just some dude who made that chart (I would love to know how he got that data). Maybe it is day to day.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:13:59 PM by Clockwork5 »

Clockwork5

« Reply #9194 on: June 23, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
You can have daily data points for a rolling average. But I think you’re probably right, that chart is flawed.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9195 on: June 23, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »
I assume he's using https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

his point seems pretty clear and idk why you're fussing over the last two datapoints so much

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9197 on: June 23, 2020, 03:45:25 PM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9198 on: June 23, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
FAUCI LIED AND MILLIONS DIED
:O

Tripon

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9200 on: June 23, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
You'd expect a meat processing plant to have fairly strict hygiene rules in regular times.
How in the fuck did 1,500 workers get infected. In Germany.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9201 on: June 23, 2020, 05:36:07 PM »
it's an open secret that plant HSE director Klaus is unqualified.

Leadbelly

« Reply #9202 on: June 23, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »

Yeah and they still have a ton of older people who are vulnerable because they're still alive. A real double-edged sword.

I never said it was a double-edged sword. That wasn't the tone of my argument at all. If you want to keep fighting this imaginary battle that is up to you though.

I will mention actually. The point was more about predictions. Like a lockdown will result in a better economic recovery, for instance. It might do, but anything could go right or wrong. South Korea was used as an example that even in a country that handled it the best there is a possibility that it could go wrong.Even that country.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:56:51 PM by Leadbelly »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9203 on: June 23, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
You'd expect a meat processing plant to have fairly strict hygiene rules in regular times.
How in the fuck did 1,500 workers get infected. In Germany.
Because we raced to the top (i.e. bottom). Meat is dirt cheap here, and not because we're oh-so efficient.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53152724

Most of the workforce at the plant are from eastern Europe: Romanians, Bulgarians, Poles and North Macedonians, Deutsche Welle news reports.

A local activist, Inge Bultschnieder, has previously organised demonstrations demanding better living conditions for the migrant workers. Deutsche Welle found some of them living in dilapidated, overcrowded housing near the plant.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #9204 on: June 23, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »

I never said it was a double-edged sword. That wasn't the tone of my argument at all. If you want to keep fighting this imaginary battle that is up to you though.

Double-edged sword: something that has or can have both favorable and unfavorable consequences
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-edged%20sword

You: South Korea's approach, which has had favorable consequences, could end up working out unfavorably.   ???

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Leadbelly

« Reply #9206 on: June 23, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »

Double-edged sword: something that has or can have both favorable and unfavorable consequences
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-edged%20sword

You: South Korea's approach, which has had favorable consequences, could end up working out unfavorably.   ???

It was the purpose and tone of the argument I feel is being misinterpreted. I elaborated on it.

I will mention actually. The point was more about predictions. Like a lockdown will result in a better economic recovery, for instance. It might do, but anything could go right or wrong. South Korea was used as an example that even in a country that handled it the best there is a possibility that it could go wrong.Even that country.

I wasn't saying, "you know South Korea are on a real knife's edge. It could go wrong at any moment". I wasn't critiquing their strategy, I wasn't arguing against it in any way. That wasn't the purpose of mentioning it at all.

Yet, there seems to be a need to keep jumping in with a sarcastic rebuke, as if I need to be corrected for some reason... Okay.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9207 on: June 23, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »
It's your history of playing devil's advocate when it comes to lockdown.  On the face of it, the idea that Korea would be in a worse state if they got it later is pretty dumb because at worst they just kept people alive for a bit longer.  But on rereading your post I think I get what you mean, that with some immunity in the population, countries that have been through a bad case and come out of lockdown may be able to be slightly less vigilant than Korea needs to be.  I think that 'slightly' is very slight.  The tone then seems to change with

Again, it doesn't mean they will have a problem, only that anything could go right or wrong in the coming months or years. We simply don't know until it's over.

where it feels like again you are debating the efficacy of trying to fight the virus at all.  Like we will see in the future if we should have just let people die.   

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Leadbelly

« Reply #9209 on: June 23, 2020, 06:30:27 PM »
It's your history of playing devil's advocate when it comes to lockdown.  On the face of it, the idea that Korea would be in a worse state if they got it later is pretty dumb because at worst they just kept people alive for a bit longer.  But on rereading your post I think I get what you mean, that with some immunity in the population, countries that have been through a bad case and come out of lockdown may be able to be slightly less vigilant than Korea needs to be.  I think that 'slightly' is very slight.  The tone then seems to change with

Again, it doesn't mean they will have a problem, only that anything could go right or wrong in the coming months or years. We simply don't know until it's over.

where it feels like again you are debating the efficacy of trying to fight the virus at all.  Like we will see in the future if we should have just let people die.   

Maybe I should have been more clear. First of all, the example I used is a sound one. South Korea potentially could need a vaccine more than other countries where a higher percentage of people have had the virus. However, the point was really about making predictions on this. The reason I went into it was because you stated that the countries that have had stronger lockdowns will see a better economic recovery than those that didn't. It is a prediction that is very hard to make right now. It might be right, it will depend on a number of factors.

I was just giving an example of how things could go wrong, not that they will. And it was used to make the point that it might be a bit early still to make predictions on this.

And to go back to the point about how Korea might need a vaccine more than other countries. As it has become specifically about this, yeah, this is still a possibility. It was actually a point one of the leading experts on vaccines made. Again though, I will stress, my original point wasn't actually about that, it was just used as an example.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:35:08 PM by Leadbelly »

Bebpo

« Reply #9210 on: June 23, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
So my dad just got tested at a CVS, haven't heard what the result time is but someone else at our office got tested on Monday and they said results ready on Wednesday, so hopefully by the end of week.

My dad is like I don't mind if I tests positive, it means I can get this over with and get back to living my life and not having to deal with all this precaution nonsense.  :doge
My dad is one of those extroverted social boomers and he has not been dealing with this lockdown very well. Like most of America he tried for a month or two and then gave up and just wears a mask and keeps social distance but still goes out and does his normal life like nothing's changed.

Hopefully his test is negative, but when I asked him how he's feeling he's like "eh, it just feels like I have a mild flu, it's fine" and since the flu isn't going around yet, that doesn't sound great to me, but I guess we'll see.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9211 on: June 23, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
Maher then: "I hope the economy crashes a big crisis happens and a recession will get Trump out of office!"

Maher now: "Plz buy things milennials to keep economy going"

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9212 on: June 23, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #9213 on: June 23, 2020, 07:53:15 PM »

Just to address this point actually: First of all, I actually resigned to the idea that lockdown was probably the right decision at the time, and actually said as much. One of the examples I gave for why it was, was that we simply didn't have enough knowledge about what we were facing. It seemed like the safe strategy until we have a better understanding of the virus.

However, in terms of whether lockdown was the best strategy in the long-run, I never really made the case for not fighting the virus at all, that would be stupid. You don't want the virus to just ravage through society. My argument was actually about complete lockdown. It is more a question of what is viable and at what time. And I thought it was worth exploring that.

The experts have always, right from the beginning, believed that the virus wasn't going to go away until there is a vaccine. They feared that once the lockdown is lifted it will start to come back. We are now seeing evidence of this in places like Germany, and China, where areas of the country have gone back into lockdown. The question of herd immunity is a crucial one. There are two ways in which we can reach herd immunity: 60% to 70% of the country gets it, or we have a vaccine. Obviously a vaccine would be the most preferable solution. However, there is no guarantee we will have a working vaccine. It can take up to 10 years for there to be a working vaccine. Also there are potential problems if the virus mutates. Now, I'm sure most people understand that we can't keep going into lockdown for 10 years. It is not a viable solution.

And so the argument then is, what exactly is the most viable strategy in a world where there is no vaccine and the virus keeps coming back? What are the potential consequences of each strategy? Personally, I just don't see continually going in and out of lockdown for years as a viable strategy. In the short-term lockdown does seem attractive, but when I think of potentially years of it, it doesn't seem viable to me in the long-term. That doesn't mean do nothing. It just means no lockdown. In strange way, it is not even about what strategy has potentially saved the most lives. Or what country has been the most successful. It is a much longer term outlook. As I said, potentially over 10 years or indefinitely in the worst case scenario. When dealing with different timescales how we deal with it could be very different. It will be very different.

Without a vaccine I actually see this as simply inevitable. The Swedish model will possibly become the norm. I think we probably have until the end of the year, and at the latest perhaps to the spring of next year, to see where we are with a vaccine. If things aren't promising, I can see countries changing direction. I am certainly hearing this in the US right now.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9214 on: June 23, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
3rd highest number of daily new cases for the US only behind April 24th and May 1st. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/21300747/european-union-eu-ban-us-travel-coronavirus-reopening-borders-draft-list

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9215 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26:59 PM »
leadbelly, read your last post and ask yourself what assumptions you are making and whether those assumptions are favorable to a certain perspective

Leadbelly

« Reply #9216 on: June 23, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
leadbelly, read your last post and ask yourself what assumptions you are making and whether those assumptions are favorable to a certain perspective

I will say actually that it is not necessarily about assumptions but rather conclusions. It is an argument dependent on certain things being true. For instance, that after 18 months there is no vaccine and no sign that a vaccine will be ready in the foreseeable future after that. I understand we need to allow some time for a vaccine or very effective medication to be developed. However, we can't wait forever for that to be the case.

Again, I will stress that it is more a question of timescales. And so I could be favourable to any perspective depending on the timescale. For instance on a more shorter timescale, full lockdown seems more attractive.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9217 on: June 23, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
you keep bringing up the uncertainty about the vaccine but you implicitly assume permanent immunity from exposure to the virus

Tripon

« Reply #9218 on: June 23, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
The first vaccines aren't going to give you a total lifetime immunity. From what I read, they might give you a seasonal immunity of up to 6 months to a year, and you'll either have to do a booster shot or a yearly shot like the flu vaccine. The companies trying to make a more permanent vaccine are years away. The current vaccines in development may give you a fever or other side effects that are associated with 'mild' symptoms. That's not even taking to account that there's going to be a small but significant population that won't take it in developed nations, and the logistics of getting it to developing nations that don't have a developed healthcare system. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #9219 on: June 23, 2020, 08:45:12 PM »
you keep bringing up the uncertainty about the vaccine but you implicitly assume permanent immunity from exposure to the virus

Well, that is not a given either. Only that historically pandemics tend to eventually fizzle out. I don't actually think it matters. The reason being, it doesn't change the question of how we continue living. I realise it is not just a scientific question, but also a political and social one. Does it make political sense? And do people want to live their life in this way for a prolonged period of time? What would it mean for social interaction for instance?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:40:08 PM by Leadbelly »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9221 on: June 23, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »
I don't actually think it matters. The reason being, it doesn't change the question of how we continue living.

the question of how we continue living isn't changed at all by how much risk of death certain activities carry?

Leadbelly

« Reply #9222 on: June 23, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »
I don't actually think it matters. The reason being, it doesn't change the question of how we continue living.

the question of how we continue living isn't changed at all by how much risk of death certain activities carry?

There are ways to mitigate that if everyone wears a mask, for instance. The truth is, I don't think people can live like that. In fact I am already seeing signs of this in my own country.

I will give an example:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53047628

Two illegal "quarantine raves" at the weekend were "almost impossible" to stop after venues were changed at the last minute, a chief constable said.

About 6,000 people went to raves at Daisy Nook Country Park, Failsworth, and Carrington, Greater Manchester.

6000 people. Just like fuck it! lol

This is now. Imagine it 2 years from now. I just can't see it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9223 on: June 23, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »
you literally just said that the risk of people dying doesn't change the calculus at all

let's focus on that for a sec

Leadbelly

« Reply #9224 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »
you literally just said that the risk of people dying doesn't change the calculus at all

let's focus on that for a sec

I don't think I did entirely, no. I didn't for instance say, lets do this right now. And I didn't say, lets do nothing. I gave a suggestion that people should wear masks, for instance. There is simply a level of pragmatism I am going through. For instance, that people are already longing for and looking for social interaction within large gatherings. And in terms of longer timescales that will inevitably become more prevalent. And the question then becomes, what do we do about that? I don't think there is much you can do.

This is just one facet of this though.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9225 on: June 23, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »
Who cares about any of that shit:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/06/23/universal-orlando-lays-off-employees

Orlando may die in 21337's lifetime. :rejoice

Oblivion

« Reply #9226 on: June 24, 2020, 12:24:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1275539491034402821

lol. why not go all the way and just stop counting any corona related infections or deaths? problem solved!  :brain

Tripon

bluemax

« Reply #9228 on: June 24, 2020, 01:45:32 AM »
Meanwhile in Santa Monica:

https://www.santamonica.gov/press/2020/06/22/main-street-expands-outdoor-dining-and-shopping-to-support-the-safe-reopening-of-santa-monica

I was telling the dudes on the discord, one of my old coworkers has been in Vegas since Sunday night. She's posted photos and videos of herself at a buffet, poolside, walking through a casino with little to no masks among herself and her friends. Party people are done with the Rona.
NO

Oblivion

« Reply #9229 on: June 24, 2020, 03:21:45 AM »
hey bluemax, what part of L.A. are you in?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9230 on: June 24, 2020, 08:33:02 AM »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9231 on: June 24, 2020, 08:52:40 AM »
Mexico with a new high +6,288. Number somewhat meaningless as there's little testing.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9232 on: June 24, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/1275683113109250048

C19Pro Score: absolute new daily cases (sheer number of cases), rate of change in cases (how fast cases are changing), cases per capita (prevalence relative to population).

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9233 on: June 24, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
US positivity rate of tests rose to 6.7%, highest in more than a month.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9234 on: June 24, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
These types of graphs have been posted before, but usually not using per capita figures:
https://twitter.com/euromaestro/status/1275754721979047938

Also:
https://twitter.com/euromaestro/status/1275735359612166145

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9235 on: June 24, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
The US has only had 3 days with more than 36k new cases:

April 24
May 1
June 23

So, yeah...
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9236 on: June 24, 2020, 10:07:35 AM »
US positivity rate of tests rose to 6.7%, highest in more than a month.

Arizona has 33%.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9237 on: June 24, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »
The US has only had 3 days with more than 36k new cases:

April 24
May 1
June 23

So, yeah...

Maybe if america didn't do so much testing, the numbers would be tremendous :trumps
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9238 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:00 AM »
Apparently, it's 5,508 new cases. That's about 1,500 more than the previous high.

Who the fuck needs to go to a theme park during a pandemic?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9239 on: June 24, 2020, 11:29:39 AM »
I assume he's using https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

his point seems pretty clear and idk why you're fussing over the last two datapoints so much