Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082970 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #10502 on: July 14, 2020, 04:50:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1283123703656509440

Santa Ana Unified as recently as of last week was talking about doing a hybrid model (1 day on, 1 day off, or 2 days on, 2 days off, etc.)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10505 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »
What does that mean? :thinking
©@©™

Tripon

« Reply #10506 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1283147688763166721

The first COVID-19 vaccine tested in the U.S. revved up people’s immune systems just the way scientists had hoped, researchers reported Tuesday -- as the shots are poised to begin key final testing.

“No matter how you slice this, this is good news,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, told The Associated Press.

The experimental vaccine, developed by Fauci’s colleagues at the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., will start its most important step around July 27: A 30,000-person study to prove if the shots really are strong enough to protect against the coronavirus.
But Tuesday, researchers reported anxiously awaited findings from the first 45 volunteers who rolled up their sleeves back in March. Sure enough, the vaccine provided a hoped-for immune boost.

Those early volunteers developed what are called neutralizing antibodies in their bloodstream -- molecules key to blocking infection -- at levels comparable to those found in people who survived COVID-19, the research team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“This is an essential building block that is needed to move forward with the trials that could actually determine whether the vaccine does protect against infection,” said Dr. Lisa Jackson of the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle, who led the study.

There’s no guarantee but the government hopes to have results around the end of the year -- record-setting speed for developing a vaccine.

The vaccine requires two doses, a month apart.

There were no serious side effects. But more than half the study participants reported flu-like reactions to the shots that aren’t uncommon with other vaccines -- fatigue, headache, chills, fever and pain at the injection site. For three participants given the highest dose, those reactions were more severe; that dose isn’t being pursued.

Some of those reactions are similar to coronavirus symptoms but they’re temporary, lasting about a day and occur right after vaccination, researchers noted.

“Small price to pay for protection against COVID,” said Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University Medical Center, a vaccine expert who wasn’t involved with the study.

He called the early results “a good first step,” and is optimistic that final testing could deliver answers about whether it’s really safe and effective by the beginning of next year.

Hopefully, this shit actually works.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10507 on: July 14, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
What does that mean? :thinking

time to put rufus on ignore and hope for the best

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10508 on: July 14, 2020, 05:38:15 PM »
Wow a boosted immune system, what a wonderful discovery.

Almost as good as drinking a cup of orange juice you fucking imbeciles
:O

Tripon

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:06:02 PM by Tripon »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10511 on: July 14, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
Not DDP!!!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10512 on: July 14, 2020, 09:12:28 PM »
One of my work’s facilities in Ohio is closed for two weeks after an employee tested positive. Our facility in California has an employee who is quarantined because of contact tracing. Ughhhhhhhh

Tripon

« Reply #10513 on: July 14, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »
Work at a charter school. Just got the email we're following LAUSD going full online and resasses after the school year starts.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #10514 on: July 14, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
 :nothing
每天生气

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10516 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:45 PM »
or you can watch the whole thing

Oblivion

« Reply #10518 on: July 15, 2020, 12:22:15 AM »
are you fucking kidding me? this is a little too on the nose:

https://twitter.com/yoruguaenusa/status/1283139200208994307
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:07:50 AM by Oblivion »

Tripon

« Reply #10520 on: July 15, 2020, 12:57:00 AM »
https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/education/schools/texas-schools-fall-2020-online-learning-extended-abbott/269-4ce4c479-a43b-45ee-a016-61b140f4ef0e

THE TEXAS TRIBUNE – Texas will give school districts more flexibility to keep their school buildings closed to in-person instruction this fall as coronavirus cases continue to rise, Gov. Greg Abbott told a Houston television station Tuesday.

Public health guidance released last week indicated that school districts had to stay virtual for up to three weeks after their start dates, so they could get their safety protocols ironed out before bringing more students to campus. If they stayed closed longer than that, they would lose state funding.

Abbott on Tuesday said that time would be extended. His comment comes on the heels of a tumultuous week, after state education officials released guidance last Tuesday requiring districts to offer in-person instruction for five days a week to all parents who want it.

Reality says it isn't safe to open schools with explosive community spread. Looks like Florida will be our test case to what happens when you open school everyday.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #10522 on: July 15, 2020, 06:29:03 AM »
Interesting graph from the FT stats page:

:gbcry
地平線

BIONIC

« Reply #10523 on: July 15, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
Shout out to Israel having negative deaths

:titus
Margs

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #10524 on: July 15, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »
Here's a graph of some countries that are trending upwards again after initial mitigation:

Covid Trends: Australia, Greece, Israel, Portugal, Romania, Ukraine

I didn't include the US because it makes the other lines invisible if I do, but feel free to scroll down on the right and add it if you want  :doge
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:57:43 AM by Hyoushi »
地平線

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10525 on: July 15, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »

They built a religion around the last guy from that area that returned from the dead.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #10526 on: July 15, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
It's excess deaths. So a negative number means they had fewer than the average, previous year, or whatever metric is used.

BisMarckie

« Reply #10527 on: July 15, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
lol, it‘s clearly people rising from the dead.

raist can‘t read statistics :heh

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10528 on: July 15, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
Isreal are using rona on the dead to raise a zombie army, it’s in the wiki leaks :titus :stahp
(ice)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #10529 on: July 15, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »
It might not be corona that I have as the kids tested negative but goddamn this is a shitty cold. Nose runny, sore throat, low fever.

Prov doesn't help I got like 4 hours of sleep and drove across the country with the fam today.

Damn makes me imagine how full blown corona must be.

I feel fucking afwul. Gonna double up on hygiene and precautions not to catch the bitch.

james

« Reply #10530 on: July 15, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

Theyve been too distracted by the rona to bomb and murder Palestinians

BIONIC

« Reply #10531 on: July 15, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »

The French can’t do anything right. Other than giving up that is  :rodney
Margs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10532 on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »
Got my test results back and I'm negative!

I did a drive thru testing over at Stony Brook, there were like 5 different people asking to see my license and filling out different points of data, then when I got there, I rolled down the window and got the swab. Felt like what happens if you get a bunch of saltwater up your nose while swimming in the ocean. There wasn't anyone ahead of me when I went (5:30PM), one person was behind me. The whole process took about 3 minutes, and then I got the email this morning that the test results were ready. Unfortunately there was a bit of fuckery with the login, they asked me to verify my account and were asking all these weird irrelevant questions (like "what town is South Lake LLC in?" whaaaa? Had to contact customer support to get an account reset.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10533 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
It might not be corona that I have as the kids tested negative but goddamn this is a shitty cold. Nose runny, sore throat, low fever.

Prov doesn't help I got like 4 hours of sleep and drove across the country with the fam today.

Damn makes me imagine how full blown corona must be.

I feel fucking afwul. Gonna double up on hygiene and precautions not to catch the bitch.

What's with the "well it's not Corona so I think I'll go out in public and spread this cold" attitude?  "Man I feel awful, think I'll go spread this around."

Like are we gonna learn nothing from all of this?

How am I out in public? I drove my fam cross country so they can visit friends and enjoy and Ill stay put where we are staying till Im ok.

Kids already bounced back and my wife is fucking immune or something. Im last hit.

Tripon

« Reply #10534 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »

The French can’t do anything right. Other than giving up that is  :rodney
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1222643635994292224
Counterpoint. French Firemen setting themselves on fire to kick French Police's ass.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/28/french-firefighters-set-alight-start-fighting-police-12139804/

Tripon

james

« Reply #10537 on: July 15, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
l o l

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Tripon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10542 on: July 15, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
Here in upstate NY, I would say 99% of people wear a mask when required indoors. That 1% that don't is a type. You can tell what kind of person they are. You could see it a mile away.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

« Reply #10543 on: July 15, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1283412697011359745
:society

Reddit and Twitter is going to break from all the new publicfreakout content incoming.

james

« Reply #10544 on: July 15, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
My lease ends on August 31 and it's becoming very clear that thanks to the IMBECILES in Florida and Texas, this shit wont end any time soon.

Has anyone relocated or thinking about doing so?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10545 on: July 15, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
Those who fly in glass planes during a pandemic

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #10547 on: July 15, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
James, I'm assuming you live somewhere in the United States. To be frank, there is no safe place in the U.S., so unless you can find a bunker in the woods and survive there for a year, you are going to live in an area that has some sort of risk to it, whether it be a city, suburbs or rural. The smartest play, IMO is to offer to stay for a 6 month lease at your current rate if you can afford it, or see if you can get free months with a 12 month lease on your current deal.

What was Washington state's issue at the beginning of the year became the North East, then became the Geographically southern states issue, because this virus travels with people, and if people continue to travel without taking the nesscary precautions, than it'll keep on spreading.

If you can really move away from your workplace, or think you can find work easily once you move, and places like Texas or Florida are too much of a risk, then you probably want to move to a state like Hawaii, which even with the increasing cases, is an island state, so can at least restrict travel more easily than a contiguous state like New Mexico or Colorado.

Speaking personally, I expect the Fall and winter to be bad, and there will be no safe state or area and hope I'm wrong.

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #10548 on: July 15, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
My roommate told me that one of his friends in NYC moved from Queens to Brooklyn. She and her partner are paying LESS in a two person apartment than they were in Queens where there was like 5 of them. So I don't know man.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10549 on: July 15, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »
Remember james as part of 'the plan' deviants such are yourself are to be dropped 20 miles behind the lines of Beijing equipped with an official COVID-19 commemoration badge, a can of Goya beans and the spirit of freedom this upcoming November.

If only you had say a fund to buy yourself safe passage to the low countries of Europe before October ;)

🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10550 on: July 15, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
Not sure we should act all smug when people are dying and I can see a second wave hitting the EU too soon now that the kids are out boozing in Spain

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #10551 on: July 15, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/tylikcat/status/1282363758736744455

Strokes, blood clotting, heart damage, reduced lung capacity, chronic fatigue syndrome, shriveled balls.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10552 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
Here in upstate NY, I would say 99% of people wear a mask when required indoors. That 1% that don't is a type. You can tell what kind of person they are. You could see it a mile away.
???

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

ToxicAdam

« Reply #10554 on: July 15, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
When you have a near monopoly, you don't really have to worry about customer concerns.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10556 on: July 15, 2020, 03:16:39 PM »
What is most baffling is that they say this is a Chinese Bio Weapon engineered to target the US economy in retaliation for the tariffs and trade war.
While at the same time maintaining it is no big deal, a hoax or not their responsibility whenever causality numbers are brought up or action is required.
🤴

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10558 on: July 15, 2020, 03:34:17 PM »
Pastor is gonna defy our states mandate
https://www.newsweek.com/california-pastor-vows-church-will-defy-lockdown-order-says-hell-obey-word-god-1517962

Time to rename his church's location in google maps to a COVID-19 testing site.

james

« Reply #10559 on: July 15, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
James, I'm assuming you live somewhere in the United States. To be frank, there is no safe place in the U.S., so unless you can find a bunker in the woods and survive there for a year, you are going to live in an area that has some sort of risk to it, whether it be a city, suburbs or rural. The smartest play, IMO is to offer to stay for a 6 month lease at your current rate if you can afford it, or see if you can get free months with a 12 month lease on your current deal.

What was Washington state's issue at the beginning of the year became the North East, then became the Geographically southern states issue, because this virus travels with people, and if people continue to travel without taking the nesscary precautions, than it'll keep on spreading.

If you can really move away from your workplace, or think you can find work easily once you move, and places like Texas or Florida are too much of a risk, then you probably want to move to a state like Hawaii, which even with the increasing cases, is an island state, so can at least restrict travel more easily than a contiguous state like New Mexico or Colorado.

Speaking personally, I expect the Fall and winter to be bad, and there will be no safe state or area and hope I'm wrong.

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

Heres my situation.

My bosses had a meeting last week and apparently the consensus is that WFH is going well and there is no reason to return to office until there is a vaccine. That being said, it is not their final decision, it is up to the president. Right now we are WFH until end of August and I would wager theres a 90% chance the big bosses extend until end of year.

I live in northern NJ. My apartment is great. The thing is, I live here because of location (was between my and ex-s jobs) and the amenities. As such, it is also priced fairly high because of those features. But the ameneties have been closed since March 15, and the location is useless now. GF is gone, and it seems like I wont need to commute for a long time. The location is also great for access to NYC, Hoboken etc, but there is also no reason to visit those places.

So why break the bank paying for an apartment that I cant take full advantage of?

And frankly my life sucks right now. I am completely alone. I travel from bedroom to living room and back. Every other day I go out to pick up cheap takeout food. Ive had two social "dates" since March.

So here are the options Im thinking about right now:

-Renew the lease, pray things get better so I can use the amenities and social life of the NYC region

-Stay in state, but move somewhere cheaper/more suburban. Ill still be lonely as fuck, but at least there will be trees, maybe I can buy a hammock. Maybe I can find a 2 bedroom for the same price and have a real home office

- Get the fuck out of this piece of shit country. Put my furniture into storage, grab my computer and clothes, and find a short-term furnished rental in a Caribbean island that is free of the rona and maybe in the fall go to western Europe if theyll let me in. I would tell my bosses Im working from my dads house in MA or whatever.

Honestly Im falling apart. NJ did what we were supposed to do. R is under 1. Hospitals are empty. But the fucking republican neanderthals have made it so life is ruined for the rest of the year.