Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519814 times)

jakefromstatefarm

Re: The NBA thread (Team USA final roster)
« Reply #13500 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
Remember how good that 07-08 UCLA team was? Remember when Chris Douglas-Roberts dropped 28 on them in the Final Four?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Me either :larry
[close]

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13501 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
Scrub out in the Final 4 when your starting 5 contains 2 NBA all-stars and 2 other NBA players brehs.

:stahp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13502 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
Remember when Shabazz Muhammad was going to lead UCLA to the promised land?

:sabu

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #13503 on: August 23, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Scrub out in the Final 4 when your starting 5 contains 2 NBA all-stars and 2 other NBA players brehs.

:stahp
Remember this?

I remember that being the first youtube video that really had everyone

The whole Pac that year was . Lopez twins in Palo Alto; Orange Juice Mayonnaise at USC; even Arizona, finishing like 19-12, 7th in conference play and losing in the first round of the conference tournament got a bid to the dance (their OCC schedule included Memphis, Kansas and a Texas A&M with an underclassman Deandre Jordan ). The resulting hangover after that explosion ensured the conference wouldn't get back on its feet for another five years.

Pretty sure that was the year Oregon State went 0-fer in conference play
Which prompted them to hire first brother-in-law Craig Robinson :ohhh
[close]
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13504 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »
Cavs have Marion, so the defense won't be AS bad as it was...erm, without Marion?

Fuck it though, Cavs now have the potential to have the best offense in the league.  Great passing, fantastic shooters.  So much shooting.  I wanna call them the Second Amendment.
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13505 on: August 23, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Final Comment on the Love trade.

One of the rare big trades that makes relative since for both sides. While I would have been fascinated to see if Wiggins could turn into a great complement for Lebron and basically extend the Cavs team window to a decade long dynasty, I understand the concept/pressure of winning within Lebron's superstar window.

Minnesota gets a chance at a younger star. They get to reset the expectations on their franchise so nobody will be mad at them for sucking in the near term. And they still get to amass decent picks over the next couple of years as they struggle to reach relevance.

Kinda surprised the US team went with so many bigs instead of the three point shooters not that klay and curry won't provide plenty of that.

Phoenix Dark

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #13506 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #13507 on: August 25, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
@beezy
Here’s NBA Player Lance Stephenson’s Version Of ‘Hot distinguished black fellow’
http://www.xxlmag.com/distinguished black fellow/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lance-stephenson-hot-distinguished black fellow
:dead
Lance Stephenson is taking his game from Indiana to Charlotte after signing with the Bobcats in the offseason
:beli

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13508 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:29 AM »
Kinda surprised the US team went with so many bigs instead of the three point shooters not that klay and curry won't provide plenty of that.
They basically said they're afraid of Spain and Brazil.

And they've got Harden too. I think the only thing that's really hurt them is somebody like Durant/Melo are so good at that international play PF. Rudy Gay is kinda questionable on that front. Maybe DeRozan can do some of that somehow. I thought Milsap would have been an ideal guy for that role.

Faried is the odd man really, but Coach K loves him to death. And I guess he's more than physical enough to play most of the bigs out there.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13509 on: August 26, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #13510 on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Yeah, but when you can get head coach Jason Kidd...

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13511 on: August 27, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #13512 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/stephon-marbury-the-musical-a-tale-of-making-it-in-beijing/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

The mutual love affair between Marbury, 37, and his adopted home of Beijing will reach a new milestone this fall when “I Am Stephon Marbury,” a musical about his life in China, opens in the capital with Marbury on stage, playing himself.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (FIBA World Cup Aug 30- Sept 14)
« Reply #13513 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
World cup starts today. USA plays Finland at 3:30 on ESPN.

Most of the other games are being televised on ESPN2 or 3.

etiolate

« Reply #13514 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
Finland goes entire 2nd quarter without a basket. Still not a general fan of the lack of structure in offense for the National team's style, but their defense is ridiculous.

benjipwns

« Reply #13515 on: August 30, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
At this point, NBA peers have given up trying to draw human comparisons to Davis. When he entered the league, we heard a lot of Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett parallels. But after facing off against Davis last week, Brazilian big man Néné told NBA.com whom Davis reminded him of.

"Dhalsim," Nene said. "The Street Fighter. Like a cartoon. With both hands. He was catching everything. Yeah."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13516 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Watching my first game of Team USA basketball. They are playing New Zealand.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13517 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
My takeaway so far. Kyrie looks great. Anthony Davis looks great. And Faried is made for international basketball with that motor and the smaller size of the big men.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13518 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »

The fucking arm length on Anthony Davis.

:ohhh

etiolate

« Reply #13519 on: September 02, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #13520 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
I really like the FIBA team being younger and stuff. They just look to be having more fun playing all together.

The problem with the 2002, 2004 and 2006 teams wasn't that they were too young.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13521 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
Dragic is fucking killing it in the cup.  70% shooting, with 50% from the three point line.  Averaging over 20 a game.  Lord.  Make that man an all star next year
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13522 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13524 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »
Kobe's leadership luring well respected veterans to the Lakers to win a championship.
:lawd

etiolate

« Reply #13525 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »
oh lord

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13526 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14:40 AM »
Maybe Kobe can coax Karl Malone from his duck blind next.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13527 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »
I've lost enough in 2014, I don't need T-Whack in a Lakers jersey on top of that. :goty2

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13528 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »
I doubt its a matter of "getting it together".

At some point the injuries simply take a toll you can't recover from.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13529 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »
in terms of guys who could have been playing longer (with no serious injury history like T-Mac)...Iverson. How much money did he throw out the window by being a dumbass well into his 30s. He's 39 and still in good shape, I could imagine him still being in the league - or only being a couple years removed from retirement.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13530 on: September 04, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #13531 on: September 07, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »
Greg Monroe has signed a $5.48 million, one-year qualifying offer with the Detroit Pistons, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.
The Pistons would have had a chance to match any agreement he made with another team this offseason -- an advantage they would lose once Monroe becomes an unrestricted free agent.
wtf has happened to this FA market, I thought for sure someone was going to offer him $10+ million a year.

Maybe SVG convinced Greg to give him a year.

etiolate

« Reply #13532 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
"Owner Bruce Levenson will sell the Atlanta Hawks after revelation of a 2012 racist email, NBA commissioner Adam Silver announces."

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/508635959705886720

:o

This is the e-mail that caused this (supposedly):

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/complete-e-mail-sent-by-levenson/nhHbD/

I feel like the NBA itself has done similar things. It's tried to force more white into the NBA image, including ridiculously out of place Country concerts for mostly black all-star games. The new conduct rules were aimed at removing hip-hop culture from the sidelines and off of the TV screen.  It's not something isolated to this e-mail.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:41:21 PM by etiolate »

Beezy

« Reply #13533 on: September 07, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
The NBA has definitely done similar things. Maybe Silver's NBA will be different? We'll see.

etiolate

« Reply #13534 on: September 07, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
I think the difference here is that he openly admits to wanting to change hiring policies according to race. The NBA never does anything in a way that has legal blowback like that.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13535 on: September 07, 2014, 02:26:35 PM »
This seems like a mix of that typical Southern mentality along with an owner who wants to cash out on this team by selling it.

There is an intelligent discussion to be had about these sorts of issues and business practices that extends beyond simply reduce the darkies and whiten up the experience. 

The NBA has always struggled with how to sell a game that culturally and professionally is "black" in a way that other American sports aren't including Football. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:47:37 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #13536 on: September 07, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
Silver will have to find a different approach to promotion of the league than Stern used. Stern's Machiavellian shit wasn't working anymore and his robotic, superfriends NBA isn't appealing either.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13537 on: September 07, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
Gentrification brehs.

Maybe I didn't see all of the email, but I didn't think what I read was too out there.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13538 on: September 07, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
Gentrification brehs.

Maybe I didn't see all of the email, but I didn't think what I read was too out there.

If he had said there are too many Jews at the game. We need to get less jews at the game, and more christians and lower the amount of jewish content. And stop playing all that jew music. I think you would see the point.

There is a problem when you start looking at groups of people based on ethnicity and or race and start going we need more of X and less of Y.

Only in this country do we start saying its okay based on race and then try to hide behind class and socio-economic issues.

There is a socio-economic issue going on here. But you aren't doing any good when it becomes about race and caters to the already bigoted disposition you believe a large portion of your fanbase already has.

Not to mention the insult it is to your current fan base to say we don't want you. We want people who aren't you.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:51:09 PM by Stoney Mason »

« Reply #13539 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
😈

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13540 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
:dead
püp

etiolate

« Reply #13541 on: September 07, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
fuuu i was gonna post that

benjipwns

« Reply #13542 on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:46 AM »
Are we sure the guy isn't doing this just to get out of owning the Hawks after he saw what the Clippers and Bucks just sold for?

EDIT: This is one of the guys who were part of the group that fought for years over control of the Hawks, he only has part of a majority share. Everybody always forgets that the Joe Johnson contract caused the Hawks owners to all sue each other.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:30:36 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #13543 on: September 08, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »

From the perspective of somebody writing about why the Thrashers got kicked out of town:
The Spirit took ownership of the Thrashers, the Hawks and Philips Arena in March 2004. In the summer of 2005 Billy Knight, then the Hawks’ general manager, sought to work a sign-and-trade with Phoenix for the restricted free agent Joe Johnson. Knight offered Boris Diaw, who’d been the Hawks’ No. 1 draftee in 2003, and two future No. 1 pick. Steve Belkin, whom the Spirit had installed as the team’s NBA governor, thought the price was too high.

The many other Spirit members moved to overthrow Belkin as governor so that the trade — described by one of the Spirit’s lawyers as “critical to the future of the the Atlanta Hawks” — could be made. Belkin sought a restraining order against his partners, and a Boston judge granted it. (It was in that courtroom that the famous photo of Knight refusing to shake Belkin’s hand was taken.)

Ultimately NBA commissioner David  Stern intervened and allowed the other eight Spirit members to buy out Belkin, prompting a triumphant press conference at Philips Arena in which Johnson was introduced as a Hawk and Knight hailed as a conquering hero. But Belkin took his case to a Maryland court, where he found a judge who ruled in 2006 that he could buy out the others.

If you’re charting the Thrashers’ first step toward Winnipeg, start right there. The resulting litigation would last five years and essentially freeze the Spirit’s assets. This became clear when the Spirit — having finally bought out Belkin on Dec. 23, 2010 — filed a lawsuit this January against the law firm King & Spalding for malpractice. In the lawsuit, the Spirit claimed the five-year fight against Belkin had kept the Thrashers from being sold.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13545 on: September 09, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
With respect to one potential free agent, a highly-regarded African-American player and humanitarian, Ferry talked about the player's good points, and then went on to describe his negatives, stating that "he has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back." Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly, all persons of African decent) as a two-faced liar and cheat.

http://deadspin.com/hawks-minority-owner-gm-danny-ferry-got-racist-on-a-co-1632301212

etiolate

« Reply #13546 on: September 09, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
Feels like a good PR year for Cousins. So far, the Team USA run has been good for his public image, and with all this racial stuff going on during the off-season, the usually charged words thrown at him will be too racy for Sports Bob McJocksnif to say.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13547 on: September 09, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
speaking of good Cousins PR

@briancmahoney

Classic U.S. moment: European journalist to DeMarcus Cousins: "Do you know where Slovenia is?" Cousins: "No, do you know where Alabama is?"

:rofl
:rejoice

Kara

« Reply #13548 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Better troll (imo) would have been to deliberately confuse it with Slovakia. Shit drives the Slovenians I know up the wall. (So of course I do it. 2010 World Cup brehs. :lawd)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13549 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »
"HE HAS A LITTLE AFRICAN IN HIM"

"These words were recently used to describe me.  It would ordinarily make any African parent proud to hear their child recognized for their heritage.

"I'm proud to say I actually have a lot of African in me, not just "a little". For my entire life, my identity has been a source of pride and strength. Among my family and friends, in my country of South Sudan and across the broader continent of Africa, I can think of no greater privilege than to do what I love for a living while also representing my heritage on the highest stage. Unfortunately, the comment about my heritage was not made with the same respect and appreciation.

"Concerning my free agency, the focus should purely have been on my professionalism and my ability as an athlete. Every person should have the right to be treated with respect and evaluated as an individual, rather than be reduced to a stereotype. I am saddened and disappointed that this way of thinking still exists today. I am even more disturbed that it was shared so freely in a business setting.

"However, there is comfort in knowing that there are people who aren't comfortable with it and have the courage to speak up. In the same way a generalization should not define a group of people, the attitude of a few should not define a whole organization or league.

"Ultimately, I’m thankful to be with an organization that appreciates me for who I am and has gone out of its way to make me feel welcome."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-luol-deng-statement-s090914,0,5805179.story

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:28:27 PM by Butt Seriously »
◕‿◕

etiolate

« Reply #13551 on: September 10, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
How the fuck did a weakened France beat Spain after getting blown out in pool play?

😈

benjipwns

« Reply #13553 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:42 PM »
yo lemme see some piss http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/10/greg-monroe-urinated-on-himself-police-report-says/
"You play for the Detroit Pistons," asks one of the officers in the vehicle. "Unless you told people who are going to tell people, we’re not going to tell people," an officer is heard saying.
Should have busted that racist first cop in the face. Just because a guy's 6-11 and all black people look alike is no reason to assume he plays for the Pistons.

etiolate

« Reply #13554 on: September 10, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »
I am pretty sure they identified him as a Piston via the hopelessness in his eyes.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13555 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:25 PM »
How the fuck did a weakened France beat Spain after getting blown out in pool play?

I'm glad. Talking heads like Simmons were annoying the fuck out of me with their Spain is gonna beat the US talk. Not that there is anything wrong with that opinion. It was mainly how they weren't even analyzing the games anymore. Because Durant, Love, and George weren't playing all that could talk about was how bad the US was and how they need to completely revamp the system.

etiolate

« Reply #13556 on: September 11, 2014, 12:21:40 AM »
Simmons concept of the NBA is like from 4 or 5 years ago. He's like the NBA's Matt Millen. He was hip to the trends then the game passed him by quickly and he's just lost in his Grantland hubris. His poor understanding of the US team is comical.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13557 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
I use to be one of those guys who defended Simmons as I thought the hate was a little strong but I get it now. I also think he's getting worse. He doesn't even attempt to analyze a situation anymore. He makes a prediction about something beforehand. He then talks about it from that angle no matter what the situation actually is. And if he ends up being wrong, he just ignores the whole thing like it never happened or he alters the narrative to try to match it to his prediction.

etiolate

« Reply #13558 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
aka he works for ESPN

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13559 on: September 11, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »
The sooner you guys start treating Simmons as someone who is similar to a dude you talk sports with at a bar, the better.  He is unapologetically a fan first, commentator/analyst second.  That why I like him.  His predictions/analysis are bullshit and the sort of things that you and I would call out if we heard them at the bar.  But he's fun to listen to, and Grantland is the best thing to happen to sports/entertainment commentary in a long while.
püp