Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519790 times)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
Re: The NBA thread (Dragic to Heat)
« Reply #14880 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
Uh lol. Pistons just reacquired Tayshaun Prince from Celtics for Jonas Jerebko and Gigi Datome. Also apparently both DJ Augustin and Kyle Singler to Thunder? lol? So who is Pistons starting PG now, John Lucas III on a 10-day contract?

Oh, they got Reggie. I missed that, derp
地平線

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: The NBA thread (Dragic to Heat)
« Reply #14881 on: February 19, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
Woj earning that $$$$ today. Even he had to stop and say "Holy Shit" in the middle of the activity.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Trade-Aplooza!)
« Reply #14882 on: February 19, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Happy for Michael Carter Williams that he gets to get out of that Philly Shit-hole.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14883 on: February 19, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
Thunder got DJ Augustine too, jesus christ

They're trying to prove to KD that they can fucks with the rest of the NBA.  Thunder going to make a strong push in the late part of the season.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14884 on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
I have never seen anything like this. I will need a goddamn tri-fold to understand who went where for Friday...shit.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14885 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »
Heat looking pretty gnarly right now, too:

Dragic
Wade
Deng
Bosh
Whiteside

Chalmers
McBob
Birdman
Haslem
scrub #5

Not bad.  Definitely strong enough to be a 7 or 8 seed.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14886 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
I guess Perkins is going to get cut after the trade goes through and is coming to Cleveland.

meh.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #14887 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:19 PM »
I hate Perkins.

Can't wait to hear the Lebatard podcast tonight.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14888 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
I don't think anybody likes Perkin's game but the real problem was his role was too much on OKC. I think going forward for whatever team he plays for, his role will be much less. And he will probably be "ok" for that.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14889 on: February 19, 2015, 04:17:28 PM »
I don't hate Perkins.  He's apparently a very solid teammate, and teams hate seeing him leave.  He's not a great player, but he's got size.  If Cleveland can get him for his D, I'd take that opportunity.
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14890 on: February 19, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
dat Thunder haul  :whew

benjipwns

« Reply #14891 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
Philadelphia acquires: C JaVale McGee, 2015 Oklahoma City first-round pick (top-18 protected), rights to F Chukwudiebere Maduabum

Denver acquires: Rights to G/F Cenk Akyol
:gladbron
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:51:59 PM by benjipwns »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14892 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
My dude is averaging 6.5 points a game in the French league. Great name...no game.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14893 on: February 20, 2015, 01:39:31 AM »
Clippers v Spurs was a great game
:whew

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14894 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
Doctors treating Miami Heat star forward Chris Bosh are concerned he may have developed a blood clot in his lung but are still waiting for tests to make a diagnosis, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

The Miami Herald first reported on Friday that Bosh could miss the remainder of the season if he was found to have blood clots in his lung.

The medication required to treat such a condition typically requires at least six months of limited physical activity.

Blood clots are always a serious condition, but this is a particularly scary moment for Bosh and the NBA after former Portland Trail Blazers star Jerome Kersey died suddenly of a blood clot in his lung earlier this week.

Bosh was admitted to a Miami-area hospital on Thursday after complaining about discomfort in his chest for several days.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said at Thursday afternoon's practice that Bosh was "under the weather" but offered no specifics.

Miami plays at New York on Friday night. Bosh did not fly with the team Thursday.

Bosh is averaging 21.1 points and 7.0 rebounds this season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12352792/miami-heat-star-chris-bosh-miss-rest-season-following-tests-lungs

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14895 on: February 20, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
2 things

1) Blood clots ain't nothing to fuck with...one just killed Jerome Kearsey this week.

2) Hassan Whiteside about to ball out.
YMMV

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14897 on: February 20, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Chris Bosh update: The problem is actually blood clots in both lungs. Further testing is being done. He's currently resting in hospital.
Reply Retweet

Spoelstra said Bosh situation not life threatening. "And that's the most important thing."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14898 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
Cavs won in a blowout last night but

Am_I_Anonymous

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #14899 on: February 21, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
Scoreboard, breh. Don't hate, participate.

And that wasn't a blowout it was advanced notice that they can stop thinking about the playoffs. Toronto and fraudlanta are next.

We are getting better.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14900 on: February 21, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
Scoreboard, breh. Don't hate, participate.

And that wasn't a blowout it was advanced notice that they can stop thinking about the playoffs. Toronto and fraudlanta are next.

We are getting better.

Atlanta takes you guys out in 5.

If I want to know who is being the biggest dick on GAF...you're my guy. Sports though? :ufup
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14901 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
Cavs won't beat the Hawks, let's be real

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14902 on: February 21, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
Cavs won't beat the Hawks, let's be real
t

Are you trolling or insane? Cavs beat hawks in 5.

Lebron is worth any 2 of them you want to throw out and we beat them without him already this year lol.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14903 on: February 21, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #14904 on: February 21, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
Losers Guide to Winning
Or: How one analytics-mad franchise learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
On draft day 2013, when Hinkie agreed to trade Jrue Holiday, a 23-year-old All-Star, for Nerlens Noel and a protected 2014 first-rounder, a rival Eastern Conference GM turned to his war room and declared: "They're crazy." Thaddeus Young, then a Sixers forward, tweeted one word: "OMG."

If the Sixers were trying to contend in the first year of Hinkie's tenure, these would be logical responses. But they weren't. And the fact that Noel had torn his left ACL four months earlier presented Philly with a two-pronged opportunity that no one else had the stomach to pursue. There was the price of the big man's talent, which was now discounted because of injury. (Noel had once been the projected top pick.) Then there was the injury timetable, which was now that much more palatable because, well, the Sixers had designs on the lottery in 2014 too. (Hinkie put Noel on what can only be called a "conservative" rehab program, sitting him all season as the team went 19-63.)

So when the 2014 draft came along and the Sixers had the No. 3 pick, perhaps it shouldn't have been surprising that Hinkie picked Joel Embiid, a would-be Hakeem Olajuwon, just as he had nabbed Noel. A 7-footer who might be the best prospect in the draft? Whose injury (a stress fracture in his right foot) dropped him across so many draft boards but not Hinkie's? Who wouldn't be asked to win as a rookie? Check, check and check.

But injured players aren't the only way to invest in the future and divest from the present. Consider that with the 2014 first-rounder that Hinkie got for Holiday, he picked Elfrid Payton, a point guard coveted by Orlando, at No. 10. Hinkie then flipped Payton to Orlando for pick No. 12, a 2015 second-rounder and a 2017 first-rounder. With that No. 12 pick, Hinkie nabbed 20-year-old Dario Saric, a 6-foot-10 Croatian who has already been named the FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year twice.

Another front office might have been afraid to select a player who might not come to the U.S. for two years. But here, as with injury, the cost of a young, foreign centerpiece not immediately playing for the Sixers is exceptionally discounted. Even better, an NBA team doesn't even pay an overseas pick who has yet to suit up for it, meaning that the rest of the planet can effectively serve as a free minor league system. Hinkie, who has modeled exchange rates for foreign-to-domestic stats, has four other prospects -- all second-rounders -- still ripening in Turkey, Germany, China and Australia. For free.

As Brown says, "We talk often about having a very, very long lens." Philadelphia doesn't need their help -- doesn't want their help -- just yet.
The CBA is an all-important, demoralizingly confusing document that the Sixers scrutinize like billionaires searching for a tax loophole. So when the team cleared the balance sheets -- the payroll is now a meager $42.5 million, lowest in the league by $11 million -- it did so knowing certain opportunities in the market would follow.

Today, Philadelphia is so unencumbered by the current salary cap ($63.1 million) and luxury tax ($76.8 million) that it sits below the cap floor ($56.8 million). But many franchises struggle to create financial flexibility on a regular basis. Enter Hinkie, who is more than happy to take on others' contractual waste -- and dump it himself -- all for a small, negligible fee: a future second-round pick.

Throughout league history, the second-rounder has been the penny stock of hoops, the spiritual brother of baseball's player to be named later. But they're not valued that way by these Sixers, who collect the things like bingeing hoarders, amassing them via salary dumps and throw-ins on other deals. In last year's draft, Hinkie acquired or traded five second-round picks, not including his own; this June he'll have the rights to four more from other teams. Hell, he's acquired one for 2016, two for 2018, two for 2019 and one for 2020 already. Nobody else in the NBA has an extra 2020 pick -- very possibly because said pick might presently be 12 years old.

But to Philly, any second-rounder is both an embryonic trade chip and a lottery ticket that jumps in value come draft day, when some team will inevitably take a shining to a specific prospect without having the picks to draft him. When that happens, the Bank of Hinkie will be there -- ready to flip the second-rounder for cash (and profit); or to package it for another asset (and profit); or to keep it himself, hoping to sign the next Chandler Parsons, the eventual $46 million forward whom the Rockets drafted 38th overall in 2011 (and profit).

Consider Jerami Grant, whom Philly took 39th out of Syracuse in June. Grant signed a four-year deal that guaranteed his first two seasons for $885,000 and $845,000, respectively, some $300,000 more annually than the league-minimum salary of many second-rounders. That financial security was catnip to him and no sweat to the Sixers, who certainly have cap space on their delayed production schedule. But the key twist -- just as it was with Parsons -- is that the forward's third and fourth years are neither guaranteed nor big raises. This template led guard K.J. McDaniels, the 32nd pick in June, to reject Hinkie's four-year offer in favor of a one-year, unguaranteed deal. And by those latter two seasons, when the Sixers do plan to spend, Grant will be something very different: either an underpriced keeper -- "He's one of those guys, for me, that makes me want to hug Sam," Brown recently gushed -- or someone you can cut loose at zero cost. In both cases, he will be a team-friendly asset and maybe one day, if Hinkie plays his cards right, a detail in a PowerPoint slide.
Show up to a January shootaround at Wells Fargo Center, 120 minutes before tip-off, and two things quickly become apparent. First: These Sixers are conspicuously long-limbed -- 10 of the 14 athletes boast a wingspan at least six inches longer than their height. Second: With the remarkable exception of forward Robert Covington -- an undrafted, sweet-shooting 24-year-old with a 7-2 wingspan -- approximately none of them can, you know, shoot.

This is no accident. It remains scientifically impossible to develop arm length, an underrated characteristic on defense. ("Sam is very studied in regards to that," Brown says.) But as Spurs wing Kawhi Leonard has verified, it is possible to grow a prospect's shooting ability over time. And Philly, forcing turnovers at a league-high 15.6 percent through the All-Star break but shooting a league-low 41 percent, is incentivized to wait on such a large-scale renovation. If the Sixers happen to have one of the worst offenses in history in the meantime, boosting their odds in the draft lottery? That's no accident either. The 2008-09 Thunder pulled off a version of this with Russell Westbrook, who led the league in turnovers as a rookie point guard as the team went 23-59. The next year, Oklahoma City took Harden at No. 3.

Hinkie, as part of his drive to measure everything, tracks each shot his players take, not just in games but also shootarounds and practices. "You can't hide," Richardson says. Some of the tallying is by hand; some of it is noted off video. Brown uses the data to see which players "are investing time into development," he says, and doles out playing time and in-game privileges accordingly. "It's crazy," Noel says. "They'll tell me what my free throw percentage is in practice. And I'm like, 'What?!'"

It is possible that no team takes the structure of its pregame shootarounds more seriously. The players arrive in scheduled 15-minute waves of two or three and promptly begin to sweat under the supervision of shooting coach Eugene Burroughs. On one recent night in Philadelphia, Hinkie observes from a sideline as a platoon of assistants, video coordinators and basketball-ops guys waits on the sidelines with MacBooks bearing video and spreadsheets. When each wave finishes its tailored drills -- in Brown's system, for instance, bigs focus exclusively on baseline jumpers and rolling to the basket -- the players sit down with a designated coach, who walks them through preselected clips from the last game. It's like jump shot triage. "They really hit us over the head with percentages," Thomas says, "and what type of shots they want us to take."

Like Houston, which shoots the most 3s in the league, Philadelphia fetishizes the importance of being lethal from behind the arc. Just as the title-winning Spurs fetishized it last season, and the playoff-bound Warriors, Hawks and Trail Blazers fetishize it now. But that trait can also be purchased and supplemented, Hinkie knows, when production is no longer delayed: Think of nomadic snipers like Ray Allen and Mike Miller; now think of what their spacing could do for a Nerlens Noel. Until then, the Sixers are second to last in 3-point percentage, at 31 percent, while still attempting more 3s than all but 10 teams.

Not coincidentally, Philly also plays at the sixth-highest pace in the league -- all the better to up its players' counting stats, however flawed, in case any buyers are vaguely paying attention. Carter-Williams might not be traded, but if he is, rest assured that his Rookie of the Year award -- which he won while hoisting 15.1 shots a game -- will factor into his new employer's calculus. Or take the aforementioned Thaddeus Young, of OMG fame. After Hinkie took over, the forward took a career-high 16.2 shots and 3.7 3s a game, producing a career-high 17.9 points despite shooting a career-low 45.4 percent overall. That summer Philly flipped Young to Minnesota for two players and a 2015 first-round pick. "The team I'm coaching now isn't the team I'll be coaching a few years from now," Brown admits. "Some people will make it. Some people won't."

« Reply #14905 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
Does Anthony Davis get injured every other game or something?
😈

benjipwns

« Reply #14906 on: February 21, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
Larry Sanders buyout is complete, but Walrus doesn't have to worry, he will not be playing the rest of the season for anyone.

AK47 may be mulling signing with a playoff contender though...has invited teams to "talk to him" about it.

In more Cavs news, Blatt loves J.R. Smith:
“I have no idea and I really can’t comment on anything in the past, but I can tell you one thing: J.R. Smith has been a dream for us, as a team and for me personally,” Blatt said one day ahead of Smith’s MSG return on Sunday to face the Knicks. “I love the guy. I love coaching him. He comes to work every single day. He’s a great teammate. He’s playing both ends of the court for us consistently. He’s one of the main reasons for our turnaround, together with Iman, who simply started later because of (a shoulder) injury.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14907 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
Hawks are not doing numbers like that in the playoffs. Nor are the Raptors. Really think it's Cleveland, Chicago or Washington out of the east.

Carter-Williams might not be traded, but if he is, rest assured that his Rookie of the Year award -- which he won while hoisting 15.1 shots a game -- will factor into his new employer's calculus.

fucking John Hammond
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:05:49 AM by jakefromstatefarm »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14908 on: February 22, 2015, 02:09:45 AM »
ITT proactive cunts pretend like they known sports.

Seriously though...keep pretending like the Cave aren't snacking on this weak ass east dog food.
YMMV

« Reply #14909 on: February 22, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »
You don't play in the NBA so you don't know shit either.
😈

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14910 on: February 22, 2015, 02:26:51 AM »
You don't play in the NBA so you don't know shit either. (Image removed from quote.)

I know the cavs are better than your team :umad
YMMV

ToxicAdam

« Reply #14911 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
He's watched more NBA than you, so he's the expert.

:foxx

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14912 on: February 22, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #14913 on: February 22, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
I saw that live, it was great. I actually watched the entire game because I was that lazy today.

El Babua

« Reply #14914 on: February 22, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »

benjipwns

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14916 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14917 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
Fun fact of the day: Manute Bol's son is named Bol Bol.
YMMV

Brehvolution

« Reply #14918 on: February 23, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Looks like MJ lost a bet. :hitler
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #14919 on: February 24, 2015, 03:53:32 AM »
The Celtics had agreed to buy out Tayshaun Prince if a trade couldn't be completed, a source said. But an unexpected deal with Detroit came along, and Prince wasn't exactly thrilled to be going to the Pistons.
lol

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14920 on: February 24, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Clearly that guy fouled Jordan on his way to the hole, two shots.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14921 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:45 AM »
The Celtics had agreed to buy out Tayshaun Prince if a trade couldn't be completed, a source said. But an unexpected deal with Detroit came along, and Prince wasn't exactly thrilled to be going to the Pistons.
lol

Yeah Tayshaun this isn't 2002 any more. You want to get traded? Well merry fucking christmas.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14922 on: February 24, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Prince wanted to play for a contender, I understand. So far he hasn't really been thrown under the bus by fans here, at least on sports radio. People understand, and more importantly still like him.

I wonder if the Pistons can make it to .500?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14923 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
Prince wanted to play for a contender, I understand. So far he hasn't really been thrown under the bus by fans here, at least on sports radio. People understand, and more importantly still like him.

I wonder if the Pistons can make it to .500?

Don't think tonight is a good night to bet that trend sir.  :heh

Cavs 105
Pistons 80

Lebron, Kyrie, and Love won't even play the 4th quarter for the 4th game in a row  :patel
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14924 on: February 24, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
Detroit has been playing Cleveland pretty well this year, so I wouldn't be that confident in the Cavs tonight.

I think the Cavs will still win but I see it being a 103-96 affair.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14925 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »
Detroit has been playing Cleveland pretty well this year, so I wouldn't be that confident in the Cavs tonight.

True but they played them when they were still going through the whole meshing/coach blaming/pouting/love not fitting in/we need a center/omg we really need a center/Delledova sucks phase.

I mean the Knicks beat us too, then we beat them so bad Phil Jackson himself ripped his team on twitter  :yeshrug    which is funny because he imploded the son of a bitch anyways. He must consult my wife for his bitching agenda.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14926 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »

Kobe seems to be doing a media blitz. An asshole media blitz that is.

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14928 on: February 24, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
meh. An extra set of fouls is all I really see.

This will probably be the final pick-up for them since it looks like Ray Allen might not becoming back after all.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14929 on: February 24, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »
meh. An extra set of fouls is all I really see.

This will probably be the final pick-up for them since it looks like Ray Allen might not becoming back after all.

All we need out of him is 10-15 minutes a game and to act as Lebron's goon. If he can handle that anything else he delivers will be a bonus.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

« Reply #14930 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14934 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
AIA, told you this game would be close
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14935 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
Prince turning back the clock :leon

I'm liking what I see from Reggie Jackson.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14936 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »

I wasn't far off
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #14937 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
Derek Rose needs knee surgery again. Torn meniscus.

dkdk

« Reply #14938 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
shocker.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14939 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:24 PM »
If this keeps Rose out of the playoffs... I swear LeBron has had the luckiest career. I'd suspect foul play if Stern hadn't retired.

Atlanta was going to pop Cleveland regardless...