Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083136 times)

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2460 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
Has anyone watched Camelot or The Borgias?

Both are pretty meh don't bother.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2461 on: May 21, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
The Borgias was renewed for a second season pretty quickly but Camelot still hasn't. I wonder if there is time for Eva Green to jump ship to Game of Thrones. She'd be perfect as Melisandre

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2462 on: May 21, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
Jean-Ralphio

:bow2

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

cool breeze

« Reply #2463 on: May 21, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »
[youtube=560,345]Hyc1aMtnHJo
[/youtube]

Everything about that scene is hilarious.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I still need to see the first ten or twelve episodes of season 3.  Hoping it comes to Netflix soon because I don't want Hulu Plus.  Chris has become my second favorite character in the few episodes I've seen with him.  Jean-Ralphio is #3.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:08:44 PM by Linkzg »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2464 on: May 21, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Only Parks and Rec could take a libertarian character and turn him into one of the most sensible and likable characters on the show.

:bow2

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2465 on: May 21, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
Ron :bow2

Jon-Raphael :bow2

Parks and Recreation :bow2

Re: Chris

I'm noticing a lot of people really digging him. I think Brothers and Sisters forever ruined him for me, and that his character is the most contrived on this show.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:58:23 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2466 on: May 21, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
that was me  :lol

Holy shit. Were you serious or fucking around?!
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #2467 on: May 21, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
:bow :bow PARKS AND RECREATION 1 HOUR FINALE :bow2 :bow2
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2468 on: May 21, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

For cereal yo.

Anyways, I spent today watching the BBC Sherlock Holmes miniseries.  Great fun...but I ended up hating how Moriarity was played.  Anyone else who watched know what I mean?   

Himu

« Reply #2469 on: May 21, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
Isn't that on netflix
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2470 on: May 21, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »

For cereal yo. 

:bow Chipopo :bow2

:bow Chipopo's dad :bow2

Tell him the show, and more so his tune, were so big in places he can't even pronounce.
Unzip

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2471 on: May 21, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »
Isn't that on netflix

yep, definitely recommended if you have access.  The first episode is particularly good.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2472 on: May 21, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »
Ron :bow2

Jon-Raphael :bow2

Parks and Recreation :bow2

Re: Chris

I'm noticing a lot of people really digging him. I think Brothers and Sisters forever ruined him for me, and that his character is the most contrived on this show.

Honestly for me there isn't a single character I don't like on the show. The only character I didn't like is now gone, Mark Brendanawicz. He never really fit the tone of the show. 

I think Rob Lowe does a great job with what is a pretty single note character and his relentless positiveness is charming especially when it clashes with Ron's attitude. That's the strength of Parks and Recs. Outside of Leslie its not really about any one character so none of them tend to wear out their welcome for me because it bounces around among them so much.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2473 on: May 21, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
[Anyways, I spent today watching the BBC Sherlock Holmes miniseries.  Great fun...but I ended up hating how Moriarity was played.  Anyone else who watched know what I mean?   

Yeah.  He only really had one scene and it felt like the actor was trying to fit in a whole season's worth of affectations.  I'll admit that after seeing it three times I don't mind as much, so I probably won't be too bothered when S2 finally drops.

Himu

« Reply #2474 on: May 21, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
HOLY SHIT THEY FINALLY ADDED SUBTITLES TO BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ON NETFLIX INSTANT NOW I CAN FINALLY FINISH THE SHOW :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #2475 on: May 21, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Honestly for me there isn't a single character I don't like on the show. The only character I didn't like is now gone, Mark Brendanawicz. He never really fit the tone of the show. 

I think Rob Lowe does a great job with what is a pretty single note character and his relentless positiveness is charming especially when it clashes with Ron's attitude. That's the strength of Parks and Recs. Outside of Leslie its not really about any one character so none of them tend to wear out their welcome for me because it bounces around among them so much.

yeah, Chris' unwavering positive attitude makes him entertaining, plus how naive his thought process is.

It's hilarious how enthusiastically he responds to Jean-Ralphio in this scene:

[youtube=560,345]gWNRd4Y5kOw[/youtube]

Andy is similar, but more immature.  I thought Andy was annoying until he got over Ann.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2476 on: May 21, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

For cereal yo.

Anyways, I spent today watching the BBC Sherlock Holmes miniseries.  Great fun...but I ended up hating how Moriarity was played.  Anyone else who watched know what I mean?   

I know exactly what you mean, it's like he was playing a 70's sitcom version of a gay person. Maybe the next installments will show those affectations to be a contrivance, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written with any future development in mind and was a really odd note to finish off one of the better tv experiences in a long time.
___

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2477 on: May 21, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »
Andy is similar, but more immature.  I thought Andy was annoying until he got over Ann.

He definitely got a lot better.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2478 on: May 24, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
The Killing started so great, it's almost painful watching it implode. It's still interesting but jeez, what the hell happened

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2479 on: May 24, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »
The Killing started so great, it's almost painful watching it implode. It's still interesting but jeez, what the hell happened

and i was gonna get caught up...
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2480 on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:44 AM »
It went from a great show to 24 meets CSI. I'll be watching until the end, but jeez I'm bummed after seeing the latest ep tonight

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2481 on: May 24, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »
I dropped out at the third episode. They should have totally removed everything else and completely focused on the detective aspect which they seemed to market it as. Hear that AMC, your shows don't need fucking conspiracy plots, I don't give a fuck! I'm hoping they'll return to my good graces with Breaking Bad this Summer.
:9

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2482 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
I dropped out at the third episode. They should have totally removed everything else and completely focused on the detective aspect which they built it up as. Hear that AMC, your shows don't need fucking conspiracy plots, I don't give a fuck!

I agree, even though the argument gives me flash backs to this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26457586&postcount=191
 :-\

but yea, the side plots are weak overall. The political stuff is fine; not great but it doesn't ruin things. Meanwhile the parent's arc, especially the mother, gets progressively worse with each episode. To the point she becomes unbearable.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2483 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
leper green man

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2484 on: May 24, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
I don't like what Ive seen of Season 4 of The Wire at all. I'd go as far as to say it sucks.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2485 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »
The school shit "makes" the season. I remember Eric P saying he didn't like S4 that much for similar reasons. Personally I thought S4 was brilliant, in part due to some great acting from the kids, who brought their characters to live in painful detail.

Beezy

« Reply #2486 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

cool breeze

« Reply #2487 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »
haha you're getting told because you have bad taste (or are playing contrarian).  "maybe it'll grow on me" you're trapped, boy.  better to stand your ground.  to help your position, act like season 2 is the best season.

Himu

« Reply #2488 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
The school shit "makes" the season. I remember Eric P saying he didn't like S4 that much for similar reasons. Personally I thought S4 was brilliant, in part due to some great acting from the kids, who brought their characters to live in painful detail.

Maybe it'll grow on me but I was pretty invested in characters and this change up to focus on the school and the kids kinda sucks. I don't mind the politics stuff but the school is a real drag. Plus, I don't like Pres all that much.

The focus did not change. The Wire is about the destruction of the American city.

From the drug trade (season 1), to the loss of the blue collar America (season 2), politics (season 3), school system (season 4), media (season 5). The point is that nothing changes, despite some people's attempt to make change.

If you like The Wire for the gangsters you should probably watch something else.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2489 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
You didn't like Dookie ??? :(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2490 on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »

Thanks for the warning. I'll marathon it when the season is over but really, I think AMC has had two stinkers in a row if that's true.

The Walking Dead started off alright, but became typical network tv before the end of the season. Seems the same is true for The Killing. I miss Rubicon.  :'(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2491 on: May 24, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
Michael did that shit deliberately. I think that's kind of the point of The Wire. You have choices. Michael was not forced into being a killer. He sought out the people who killed and let himself fall into that group. Some have good luck (Namond), and while others have extremely bad luck (Randy), there still exists free will in that urban jungle and Michael, despite all pleas and warnings became a killer deliberately.

I think there's a fine line between free will and the powers that be shitting on everything in The Wire. People are held down but they still have their free will.

We had this awesome discussion about this in The Wire thread at SA when Felicia Pearson was arrested. "She's just a product of her environment. It's all she knows!" "That doesn't change the fact she was still around people like that, she should have known better" Fun times, especially when applied to The Wire.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #2492 on: May 24, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »

FUCK YES!
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #2493 on: May 24, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
I should marathon The Sopranoes and Curb.

Ordering from netflix pronto.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2494 on: May 24, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
I changed my netflix to stream only a few months back but now I'm going back to include dvds too. Did they increase the price for 4 dvds at once? 27.99? I don't remember it being this expensive. ???
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #2495 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
I don't remember 2 dvds being $15 a month either.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2496 on: May 24, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
they recently increased prices.  I'm paying 25 bucks for 3 blu rays.  Fucking ridiculous.

I wish blockbuster would jump in the streaming game because I honestly prefer them.  I got free in store rentals, video games, no up charge for blu rays and it's 20 bucks.  Edit: and also, I drop my discs off on my way to work at the blockbuster and I get new discs the next day.  Fuck yeah!

Himu

« Reply #2497 on: May 24, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
Whatever. Got Curb, Oz, and Sopranos in queue. What are some other good HBO shows? Oh right, Rome!
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2498 on: May 24, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
Whatever. Got Curb, Oz, and Sopranos in queue. What are some other good HBO shows? Oh right, Rome!

Gonna need a list of what you have watched before that can be answered.
___

Himu

« Reply #2499 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
The Wire
Sex and the City (don't hate!!!)
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2500 on: May 24, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »
Deadwood
AMC

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2501 on: May 24, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Deadwood

Deadwood Deadwood Deadwood (and Rome Rome Rome)

Flight of the Conchords was a googol times better than you'd ever think it could be

EASTBOUND AND DOWN

Six Feet Under
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:39:54 PM by Mamacint »
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2502 on: May 24, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »
Game of Thrones homos

I need to get back into S2 of The Sopranos. Was watching nightly until my Texas trip, and when I came back I was busy getting caught up with other stuff.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2503 on: May 24, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Game of Thrones homos

not on Netflix distinguished mentally-challenged fellow
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2504 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
Oh thought we were talking about television in the television thread.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2505 on: May 24, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
Who pays for HBO?

Which reminds me that I need to start watching The Sopranos as much as possible since I only have two months of HBO GO left.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2506 on: May 24, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
Oz is pretty good, at least from what I saw (half of S1). Not the type of show I could marathon though, it's pretty depressing. And you have to lock your door while watching because if someone walks in on you there's a 50% chance they'll see some gay shit.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2507 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
I have to stand with Green Man regarding Season 4 of The Wire. I didn't find the school plot that engaging. Season 3 fo' lyfe. But you have to give it to the writers for trying to do something different and tackle another social issue.

Himu

« Reply #2508 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
season 3 is my favorite mostly due to hamsterdam, but season 4 is almost as good. season 5 is the weak link but even the weakest link in the wire is better than 99% of tv, funny that.
IYKYK

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #2509 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
The new V is surprisingly non-shit. Contrasts remarkably against The Event, which is so bad that it's not even funny.

Which of course means that V is probably cancelled, and that The Event is probably going strong.

edit: Yup, canceled. God fucking damn it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:48:35 PM by duckman2000 »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2510 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
Oz is pretty good, at least from what I saw (half of S1). Not the type of show I could marathon though, it's pretty depressing. And you have to lock your door while watching because if someone walks in on you there's a 50% chance they'll see some gay shit.
:lol :lol :lol

When my wife and I were dating I started rewatching Oz and she came over and it was in a middle of a particularly gay scene and she was like "what the fuck are you watching???"  

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But then she ended up taking the first season home and watching it
[close]

Himumumu, Carnivale is pretty slow moving but a damn good show.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2511 on: May 24, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

Plus the wincest is kinda' hot

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2512 on: May 24, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »

Plus the wincest is kinda' hot
Mupepe likes this

Himu

« Reply #2513 on: May 24, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
it has incest?

deffo putting that in the queue :drool
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2514 on: May 24, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Ugly Betty season 4

This is amazing :lol

I love how everyone is being a dick to betty :lol

:bow MATT :bow2
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #2515 on: May 24, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »
Yeah, I finished Season 4 this morning. Ya'll dude's eat dicks, it sucks. The season had it's moments but as a whole I don't like it at all. Carver's growth as an officer is probably the best takeaway from the season.

It's okay, I've got your back.  Season 4 didn't really work for me either.  (still liked it, but I much prefer 1-3 over 4.)
MMA

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2516 on: May 25, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
S4 won the poll I had on my blog a while back. I think that's pretty much all the proof needed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:44:27 AM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Diunx

« Reply #2517 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
Season 4 of the wire is the best season in the history of television,this is actually a scientific fact.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2518 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:18 AM »
S4 is probably the best season of anything

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2519 on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:02 AM »

I actually didn't watch past the third episode so I don't really have an opinion.  I think the school stuff was just so fucking oppressive.

and the killing is eh at this point, i agree.

I'm really liking game of thrones despite not really enjoying the first book.
Tonya