Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082651 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7740 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »
Yikes.  Glad I jumped off after Season 2.
Tonya

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7741 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »
So is Homeland just "24 version 2.0"?

Well I haven't seen 24 but yeah I guess.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #7742 on: December 07, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
So is Homeland just "24 version 2.0"?

like eric, i jumped off after season 2 because yes, 24 2.0 (and there were inklings toward the end of season 1, tbh)
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7743 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Homeland is basically the show I wanted, as a 24 fan. Less action and a lot more focus on intelligence gathering. I love the whole "Jack Bauer Power Hour" idea but ultimately it got repetitive knowing that Jack was never really doing any spy work or actively trying to figure shit out.

The first season of Homeland is amazing. The second has good moments but ultimately descended into nonsense; it's gets really really bad, to the point I almost quit. I've only seen the premier ep of S3, which I really liked. I'll watch the rest soon.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7744 on: December 07, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
lol I just remembered I haven't seen the latest episode of Homaland, this season is better than the second but it's :zzz
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7745 on: December 08, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »
This season has been all spy games until the last episode where you could see the writers were a little backed up and needed a release. Just a bukkake of bearded special forces shit.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7746 on: December 08, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
I haven't seen Sleepy Hollow but the female lead is :lawd

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7747 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »
sleepy hollow is the other best new show of the fall aside from masters of sex. just pure unadulterated batshit Buffy 2.0 craziness

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #7748 on: December 10, 2013, 02:29:01 AM »
man, i'm glad season 2 didn't deter me from watching homeland

so good

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7749 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:59 AM »
Everything zephyr suggests is gold. Seriously.

Now on Homeland, it's just confusing.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
They pay a lot of attention into making these complex characters that make you sympathize with them even when they're bad, but the idea that a group of Iranians would spontaneously make a crowd and cheer on a terrorist/mass killer seems borderline racist to me.
[close]

I still don't fully get where it's going. Only two more episodes this season I think...

Himu

« Reply #7750 on: December 13, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
I miss Chuck Power Hour. Any shows put there to satisfy my inner nerd?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7751 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
sleepy hollow is the other best new show of the fall aside from masters of sex. just pure unadulterated batshit Buffy 2.0 craziness

Are the Eps online
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7752 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
I started AHS Asylum. Two eps in and I like it well enough. The level of just...out there dialogue continues to leave me speechless

what the fuck  :lol

Also I've watched four eps of the new season of Homeland, and already like it way more than S2. The twist at the end of ep4... :lawd

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7753 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
AHSA starts strong then....keeps going.....
Tonya

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7754 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »
I miss Chuck Power Hour. Any shows put there to satisfy my inner nerd?

dude look like three posts above yours
pcp

Himu

« Reply #7755 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »
I ASKED about Sleepy Hollow!

Hulu has every ep so far except 1 and 2.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7756 on: December 14, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
yeah, bail the fuck out by episode 8. Its actually better if it ends there with no resolution.

I'm enjoying the fuck out of coven though.

etiolate

« Reply #7757 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »
Arrow is pretty good now, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Hacktivist chick on Agents of Shield might be the most useless character on TV.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7758 on: December 14, 2013, 02:43:34 AM »
Thank god you-know-who has barely been in S3 of Homeland so far (five eps in). The show is so much better without him.

Dana...major 24 vibes. She's basically Kate except no one is kidnapping her. This was the first episode where it felt like too much, mainly because
Carrie took a needless risk to even involve herself with that shit. Could have ruined everything, for what? Other people could have helped. It reminded me of S2 where the terrorists kept having Brody, their best and only well placed asset, do a variety of dumb shit that could potentially compromise his position.

Side note: you would think that Carrie would check her phone and apartment for bugs before talking with Saul. If the Iranians heard any of that it would blow up the entire operation.
[close]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7759 on: December 14, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
yeah, bail the fuck out by episode 8. Its actually better if it ends there with no resolution.

I'm enjoying the fuck out of coven though.

Yes, seriously enjoying Coven, but I was seriously enjoying Asylum at this point too.

Sleepy Hollow is a lot of fun.  Just enough history and just enough occult / conspiracy / alternate history stuff to really tie into a lot of my #spookykid interests so it's fun to see all of this stuff referenced and referenced well.
Tonya

Diunx

« Reply #7760 on: December 14, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »

Dat mouth  :mouf
Drunk

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7761 on: December 14, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
those big ol.... eyes
pcp

Himu

« Reply #7762 on: December 15, 2013, 04:19:19 AM »
I watched like 10 hours of Orange is the New Black today.

Jesus Christ. Fuck this show for being so addictive goddamit.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7763 on: December 15, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
I like it. It's no TWD for sure but still interesting.

Omg :lol
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #7764 on: December 15, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7765 on: December 15, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
don't be trolled!

Himu

« Reply #7766 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Is Community good again?
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7767 on: December 15, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »

Are the Eps online
Delishows.com

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7768 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »
This season of Homeland has been great thus far. Just finished ep 8. My only problem

Saul's wife's boyfriend...is doing something. Bad 24 vibes. Perhaps blackmail, or something bigger. Either way I don't like it.

Seems like Saul killed off the bomber in order to turn Brody into a patsy, thus publicly taking the aim off Iran and allowing Javadi to move up the ranks. I'm guessing Carrie will attempt to fuck all this up.

Oh yea, I forgot about her getting shot in the arm by a fucking sniper and conveniently blacking out instead of screaming. Just too ridiculous. Why not have her get tackled and gagged.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7769 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:19 AM »
Arrow is pretty good now, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Hacktivist chick on Agents of Shield might be the most useless character on TV.

Yeah, the actress is hawt, and she has typically Whedonesque lines to deliver, but I have a hard time standing her. It's whatever this tease-tease-tease, is she a double-agent or triple-agent, or just confused...? WHO CARES? I DON'T.

The propellor head geek twins are also annoying.

I'd rather see more of Coulson, The Bus Driver, and Agent Superjaw.

etiolate

« Reply #7770 on: December 16, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
She's been so useless that they have been giving her "useless character" lines. Stuff like like Coulson briefing them "We used SECRET THING X to track down Y." and then she'll spurt "Golly, Shield just have every kooky thing!"

The geek twins aren't strong, but the geek girl could have a good character turn in her.

AND IN FUN TV NEWS

Bob's Burgers has the best holiday episodes on TV now. They just did a Christmas episode based on Spielberg's Duel.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7771 on: December 16, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
The season finale of Homeland was really strong. Didn't know it was the finale until.....something happened. It felt like they basically tied up the entire series and it could have been a great series finale but I'll wait and see what they try to do next season.

The finale of Masters of Sex was also good but left me with tons of questions.  Mostly who's and whats but no clues. Except probably like it's all on Wikipedia.

Now I have 3 weeks until Justified and Girls start up.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7772 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »
She's been so useless that they have been giving her "useless character" lines. Stuff like like Coulson briefing them "We used SECRET THING X to track down Y." and then she'll spurt "Golly, Shield just have every kooky thing!"

The geek twins aren't strong, but the geek girl could have a good character turn in her.

You've helped me figure out what's bothering me about her: she's a Whedonesque heroine in attitude and dialog, but she's not useful enough to warrant her sass. If Firefly's Wash had been only moderately competent, he'd not have been as lovable for all his wacky commentary; he'd just be annoying.

etiolate

« Reply #7773 on: December 17, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »
I am not sure how you make a twitter celeb an  empowered hero in a world of secret spy action and actual super heroes.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7774 on: December 17, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »
couple episodes of Homeland left. There have been some wtf moments, but they're a lot smaller than those in S2. For instance.
Carrie somehow driving Brody off a spec ops base to meet his daughter. Not only should they have been stopped, it was dangerous as fuck considering his daughter could have called the fucking police and blown the entire mission.
[close]

The Dana shit was stupid but at least it was somewhat brief. Honestly what has made this season so much better than S2, outside of the bad plot twists and ridiculous leaps, is

More Saul, less Brody. In fact Brody has barely been in this season which is a plus.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7775 on: December 22, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
I don't really watch tv, because between work and school I don't have a lot of time; also, family members tend to monopolize my tv and shit. However, I'm off school for about a month and have been taking advantage of my netflix/prime accounts the past couple of days... I binge watched all of Sherlock in like a day or two. SO GOOD. Gonna move onto Breaking Bad, which I've never watched at all probably starting tomorrow. I hate having to watch shit as it airs, but I'll probably break down and have to rent the new Sherlock episodes off Prime as they air, or maybe pirate them, I dunno.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7776 on: December 22, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Forgot to mention I finished Homeland S3. Really enjoyed it, and in many ways it felt like a series finale. Way better than S3...in many ways, it felt like what S2 should have been.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7777 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
:whew
vin

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7778 on: December 24, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

I laughed quite a bit.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7779 on: December 24, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
I wasn't super hot on the first episode but it's improved with each show.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7780 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »

:noah

anyone else excited?

Diunx

« Reply #7781 on: December 25, 2013, 12:17:16 AM »
Didn't even finish the latest season, that rape suplot killed it for me.
Drunk

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7782 on: December 25, 2013, 01:22:28 AM »
Today I finished The Office, the US version.  I've seen the UK version a few times.  When I saw the US version's first season, I was instantly turned off.  The first episode was almost a word for word copy of the UK version's first episode and then the remaining episodes had a mix of word for word copies and weird concepts that weren't funny in the least.  However, in pursuit of wanting some good background noise TV, I gave it another shot starting with the second season.  The first several episodes of the second season were rough but then it started hitting its stride.  I thought all of the seasons of the show were good with the exception of the eighth season.  Even the ninth season seemed to mostly get its shit together even though the formula had clearly been used up at that point.  Personally I thought ending it at the seventh season when Steve Carell left would have been the best time to end it.  It seemed like in the 8th and 9th seasons, they kept trying to throw crazy curveballs to keep things fresh but all of them pretty much fell flat in my opinion.  I'm sure everyone and their dog has seen this show but if not, it's good background noise TV.

I watched series 8 of Peep Show and man, that was not good.  I really liked the earlier series and might get around to rewatching them sometime.

I watched all of the available episodes of Orange is the New Black and it was alright.  I saw a ton of internet hype around it.  At this point if the internet hypes something up, it usually means that it is pretty decent but not anything great.  That was the case here.  Nothing seemed to jump out at me as anything really compelling to watch but it wasn't bad either.  In the Netflix originals scheme, I'd put it behind House of Cards and on par with the new season of Arrested Development.

🍆🍆

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7783 on: December 25, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »
Just hate that 'were all gonna say awkward stuff and look at the camera awkwardly' style of comedy that the office, arrested development started.

Steve Carell is still that dude though

I don't think arrested development has anything to do with that style of comedy.

Diunx

« Reply #7784 on: December 25, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
Just hate that 'were all gonna say awkward stuff and look at the camera awkwardly' style of comedy that the office, arrested development started.

Steve Carell is still that dude though

:oreilly
Drunk

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7785 on: December 25, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »

Less than a week  :hyper

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7786 on: December 25, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
WHAT TIME OF YEAR IS IT?  BEST TIME OF YEAR

Ghost Stories for Christmas!

currently watching The Tractate Middoth adapted by Mark Gatiss (writer of Sherlock, League of Gentlemen and some episodes of Dr Who)

Tractate Middoth was pretty good except for how it blows the ghost reveal.  Our first exposure to it is a full on well lit shot in broad daylight.  A quick edit would have made the episode so much better.

Finally watched Schalcken the Painter and I really liked it.  The best thing about it is the cinematography where they made the individual scenes look like Dutch masters canvases.  Beautifully staged, beautifully lit.  I haven't read the short story in forever, but now I want to dig back into Sheridan Le Fanu's works

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:14:47 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

etiolate

« Reply #7787 on: December 28, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Watched the Doctor Who Christmas special. Felt pretty meh about it. The problem for me was that the new Who mythos has become so convoluted that when the episode felt a need to reference everything it had made up in the past,  I lost interest because I  had already forgotten about it all since nothing was ever of any consequence. Then it tops it off with some nice deus ex machina near the end. The only thing that worked for me was the Doctor's aging, but I'm not sure how to understand the rules behind that or anything else. Like I'm not even sure how much or what Smith's doctor was supposed to know of Gallifrey.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #7788 on: December 30, 2013, 06:45:27 AM »
Yeah I have no idea what happened in that fucking Doctor Who thing. What a convoluted load of shit that show has turned into.

Anyway everyone needs to watch Les Revenants. It's fucking awesome so far, just finished the third episode (of eight). It's a French drama set in a small town where one day the dead come back (not as zombies). I don't wanna say anything more at risk of spoilers but just check it out.

Polari

« Reply #7789 on: December 30, 2013, 06:46:13 AM »
Also French babes.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7790 on: December 30, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
Just powerwatched all of Veep and it's fucking phenomenal.
zzzzz

Diunx

« Reply #7791 on: December 30, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
Yep, third season should be starting pretty soon.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7792 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »

Less than a week  :hyper

I'm re-watching the first two seasons. I'd forgotten how much fun these are. :iamexcite.gif

Diunx

« Reply #7793 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
Drunk

Polari

« Reply #7794 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Also French babes.

they get naked?

Yeah there's some decent tits along the way.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7795 on: January 01, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
American Horror Story makes me fall in love with Lily Rabe more and more with every episode. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7796 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
Sherlock is up on torrents

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7797 on: January 01, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
O shit, that was good.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7798 on: January 02, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »
Sherlock is taking fucking forever to download and I'll probably have to watch it tomorrow. :'(
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7799 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
So who else has seen it?  I enjoyed the way they handle his death-escape plan.