Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082654 times)

cool breeze

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7980 on: February 15, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
yeah, I finished up the last four season of dexter since they showed up on netflix and it gets bad.  real bad.  the first four seasons weren't golden either, but season 4 ended on a high note.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7981 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »
My brothers started Dexter a couple months ago and always told me to watch it, but I'd say "yo I heard it starts to suck after a few seasons." They told me I was bullshitting. I don't know what season they're on now, but they haven't watch it in weeks  :lol

gonna start House of Cards S2 tonight

archie4208

« Reply #7982 on: February 15, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
I stuck with Dexter until the final 3-4 episodes where I quit out of disgust.

All those wasted hours.  :'(

In retrospect, season 1 is the only good season.  Season 2 jumps the shark and then it becomes a predictable and boring for the rest of the series.

Also, I finished House of Cards s2.

It's ok.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Season 3 has to be the final season though.  There's no way Netflix can stretch it out any further.
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #7983 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
Did Awesom-Bitch just post an important spoiler?

nudemacusers

« Reply #7984 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
I want to watch House of Cards but I committed to finish watching Dexter before I move on to something else :-\

Speaking of which, holy shit, that show fell apart during its fifth season.  Julia Stiles is a godawful actress, it should have been a warning sign that the people behind the show thought she was capable of exhibiting the emotions necessary to make her character believable.  Season six redeems itself until the two stupid and shitty twists at the end.  Season seven is toilet tier, even Titus Pullo couldn't redeem that steaming pile.  Now I'm working my way through season eight, which is wtf after wtf.
haha i'm actually on season 5 right now, and yeah... ghgh. the warning was there in season 4, but lithgow made up for it. imo this was a 4 season show, max.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Bebpo

« Reply #7985 on: February 16, 2014, 03:19:54 AM »
Marathoned through The Walking Dead Season 2 this past week and pretty conflicted on if it's worth starting Season 3 and devoting 13 hours+ of my time that could be spent watching better shows instead.

Season 2 started reaaaaally slow and boring, got pretty good in the middle but then the last few eps did everything they could to make me dislike almost EVERY DAMN CHARACTER in the show.  So it's a show about a bunch of characters who are dumb and frustrating to watch doing stupid stuff that gets them in trouble.  And S3 is even longer at 16eps and I've heard mixed things about it.  Dunno.  Maybe should watch House of Cards instead.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7986 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
Marathoned through The Walking Dead Season 2 this past week and pretty conflicted on if it's worth starting Season 3 and devoting 13 hours+ of my time that could be spent watching better shows instead.

Season 2 started reaaaaally slow and boring, got pretty good in the middle but then the last few eps did everything they could to make me dislike almost EVERY DAMN CHARACTER in the show.  So it's a show about a bunch of characters who are dumb and frustrating to watch doing stupid stuff that gets them in trouble.  And S3 is even longer at 16eps and I've heard mixed things about it.  Dunno.  Maybe should watch House of Cards instead.

season 3 mostly fixes the slowness, but it doesnt make the characters any more likable. by the end of it i was rooting for almost every single character to die. fuck all of them, especially that dickwad kid.

oh and i saw a spoiler for a recent ep of season 4 and it sounds like the writers still fucking suck at making believable sympathetic characters
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7987 on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
First episode of House Of Cards S2... :neogaf

not sure if that's a shark jump moment and I haven't read any reviews for fear of spoilers, but I don't care. She was a horrible character with no redeeming qualities and I'm glad she's gone for good. Even if it's rather ridiculous...but then again Frank chose the time and place for a reason, he made sure no one saw shit.
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7988 on: February 16, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
True Detective spoilerish comment:

Obviously rust didn't do it, he just never stopped working the case, but I'll be sorely disappointed if it's the preacher. A fucked-up killer preacher is one of the oldest cliche plot points in crime fiction.
[close]
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #7989 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »

Obviously rust didn't do it, he just never stopped working the case, but I'll be sorely disappointed if it's the preacher. A fucked-up killer preacher is one of the oldest cliche plot points in crime fiction.
[close]

reiterating that these are true detective episode 5 spoilers

the two 2012 detectives mention that the preacher, Tuttle, died back in 2010, and imply to Marty that Rust did it.  if these murders are happening in 2012, it's probably not him, or at least he's not the yellow king.
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7990 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:20 PM »
pretty sure eel meant

theriot, not tuttle.  Tuttle was the well-connected preacher, Theriot was the fire and brimstone tent preacher
[close]
püp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7991 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
Ugh will someone please share their HBO go pass with me?

Actually nevermind, torrent started

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7992 on: February 17, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »

fuck torrents

http://www.icefilms.info/

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7993 on: February 17, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
i just want all of True Detective at once like...right the fuck now.
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7994 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
i just want all of True Detective at once like...right the fuck now.

I resisted the urge until the fourth episode aired, I think. Then I watched the first two in one night, and the third and fourth the next. Now I'm like, freaking out and shit. NEED MOAR.
yar

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7995 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
Most recent episode of Looking had the most realistic, normal portrayal of a gay male date that TV has ever seen or will see for a bit.

etiolate

« Reply #7996 on: February 18, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
So constant fucking?

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7997 on: February 18, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »
yes

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7998 on: February 18, 2014, 02:05:46 AM »
Is Looking a #zephyrapporved show?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7999 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »

fuck torrents

http://www.icefilms.info/

No streaming site will ever match the speed, ease and quality of a good private tracker close to the scene.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:23:59 PM by Spencer »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #8000 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
True Detective was up on Pirate Bay about 15 min after it ended  :yeshrug
___

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8001 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
Is Looking a #zephyrapporved show?
yes

I apporve it

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8002 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
I saw some of the first episode of Looking. Including a really awkward scene where two guys were on a date, and one mentioned he had visited some park where guys go to bang, just to see what it was like, and the other guy was like "oh you're just looking for sex? GTFO."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8003 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
Continuing my lttp obsession with BBC's Nevermind the Buzzcocks, I got cross-linked into Was It Something I Said?

Does anyone else here like these? What other shows should I be watching, along this vein?

etiolate

« Reply #8004 on: February 19, 2014, 12:44:17 AM »
That year-end big quiz show they do for news from the past year. It's a lot of the same comedians and same general format.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8005 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »
QI is amazing; 8 out of 10 cats is ok.  The big fat quiz shows are good too.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #8006 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
Continuing my lttp obsession with BBC's Nevermind the Buzzcocks, I got cross-linked into Was It Something I Said?

Does anyone else here like these? What other shows should I be watching, along this vein?

The only one I watch is QI, which I quite love
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8007 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:18 AM »
Also if you start on QI, do the XL versions which start like 5 or 7 series in. 

One of my favorite QI moments

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:53:52 AM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8008 on: February 19, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »

[close]

In the Yellow King literary inspiration article, it specifically mentions Theriot and how he crosses himself backwards when Rust tells him about Dora Lange being murdered.  I somehow don't see a series this obsessed with detail having that be nothing.  So, I'm willing to bet he's involved somehow if not the actual killer.
[close]
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8009 on: February 19, 2014, 02:48:13 AM »
That year-end big quiz show they do for news from the past year. It's a lot of the same comedians and same general format.

I thought, "I should ask what the name of that show is," then thought to use your description as a search query; so, before anyone squirts it at me:

http://bit.ly/1jaGQjO

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8010 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:03 AM »
I saw some of the first episode of Looking. Including a really awkward scene where two guys were on a date, and one mentioned he had visited some park where guys go to bang, just to see what it was like, and the other guy was like "oh you're just looking for sex? GTFO."
this seriously happens really often. there are more than a few guys totally averse to the promiscuous side of the gay community (and to humanity, really, lesbihonest), so if you even hint that you hooked up or went to a park for a handjob (which, though not common anymore, still happens in SF and anywhere else) it could definitely kill a date. Also, Patrick is super awk about everything so of course he would bring this up on a first date, even if he had nothing in common with the guy to begin with

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8011 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
Can't hate the player  :whew

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:42:54 AM by Creepy Old Guy »
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8012 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
I want to watch House of Cards but I committed to finish watching Dexter before I move on to something else :-\

Speaking of which, holy shit, that show fell apart during its fifth season.  Julia Stiles is a godawful actress, it should have been a warning sign that the people behind the show thought she was capable of exhibiting the emotions necessary to make her character believable.  Season six redeems itself until the two stupid and shitty twists at the end.  Season seven is toilet tier, even Titus Pullo couldn't redeem that steaming pile.  Now I'm working my way through season eight, which is wtf after wtf.

Well, I finished it.  To be honest, I'm not sure Dexter was really good for any of the seasons.  There were a number of high points but a number of lows that keep it from The Wire-The Shield-Breaking Bad tier of television.

Season 1 - Great season although a lot of the flashback scenes got to be repetitive

Season 2 - Should have ended it here, the antagonist's storyline became increasing convoluted and muddled as it tried to keep the viewer in suspense

Season 3 - A mostly nonsensical plot although Jimmy Smits put in a good performance

Season 4 - The first good season since the first but John Lithgow deserves most of the credit.  A shitty twist at the end but I can see the point: they needed to start cutting away at a lot of the increasingly dead weight that was going to drag the show down further.  There was also one scene that was disturbingly hot for perverts like myself.

Season 5 - A dumb revenge plot featuring a shitty actress

Season 6 - Reminds me a lot of seasons 1 and 4 in which they were good and somewhat entertaining.  Then the show burns through that good will by having three stupid and shitty twists at the end.  Again, the writers are perverts and one of the twists is pretty entertaining.

Season 7 - A fucking terrible season.  Lots of tits being shown so there you go.

Season 8 - The writers basically said "fuck it" this season and went all out in terms of weird and stupid shit.  I'm not a canon obsessed nerd but good thing this show never had much of a nerd following because they just shat upon the already wonky canon of the show.  Little of it made sense but if you watched seasons 1-7, I doubt the baffling decisions made for season 8 would keep people from seeing it through to the end.  Also a shitty cop out ending although not as bad as what AV Club made it out to be.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8013 on: February 19, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »
True Detective just keeps getting better. Wow.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8014 on: February 19, 2014, 11:55:16 PM »

Only thing that sucks about True Detective: only 3 more episodes.

:shaq2
yar

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #8015 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:25 AM »
Wow, short season
WDW

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #8016 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »

i'd much rather have short good seasons rather than them creating these bloated AHS seasons
Tonya

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #8017 on: February 20, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
First episode of House Of Cards S2... :neogaf

not sure if that's a shark jump moment and I haven't read any reviews for fear of spoilers, but I don't care. She was a horrible character with no redeeming qualities and I'm glad she's gone for good. Even if it's rather ridiculous...but then again Frank chose the time and place for a reason, he made sure no one saw shit.
[close]

it's kinda ridiculous how Frank can get away with two murders that would take a real police departmen two minutes to close, even with the help of the commissioner theres so much shit you can do :yeshrug still the show is so entertaining that I look past shit like that.
[close]
Drunk

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8018 on: February 20, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »

[close]

In the Yellow King literary inspiration article, it specifically mentions Theriot and how he crosses himself backwards when Rust tells him about Dora Lange being murdered.  I somehow don't see a series this obsessed with detail having that be nothing.  So, I'm willing to bet he's involved somehow if not the actual killer.
[close]

Maybe he's just Eastern Orthodox. lolz
[close]
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8019 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

Maybe it'll have a Christmas special, like Downton Abbey :lawd

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8020 on: February 21, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »

No man. 8-10 episode seasons are perfect. Gargantuan 20 episode network TV seasons mean filler and I'm significantly less likely to rewatch them.
zzzzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #8021 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »

i'd much rather have short good seasons rather than them creating these bloated AHS seasons

yeah, if anything AHS seasons need to be six episodes, it usually starts shitting the bed right around then
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8022 on: February 22, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
QI is amazing; 8 out of 10 cats is ok.  The big fat quiz shows are good too.

The only one I watch is QI, which I quite love
Thanks for the tips! I am enjoying QI a good deal. Stephen Fry is so charming. You dudes should check out WISIS if you haven't already.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8023 on: February 22, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
QI is a really great, easy watch.  Also enjoyed The Bubble, but it looks like that only ever got six episodes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8024 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
QI is a really great, easy watch.  Also enjoyed The Bubble, but it looks like that only ever got six episodes.

Great, thanks! I'll scour YouTube for that as well.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8025 on: February 22, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
Alright alright alright

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8026 on: February 22, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Snagged it from here. More goodness.

http://trueandconfused.tumblr.com/
yar

Dickie Dee

« Reply #8027 on: February 23, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8028 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
Hopefully the show doesn't drop the ball in the final episodes. I have faith.

I wonder what HBO's long term plans are. Boardwalk Empire has one season left, as does True Blood iirc. Game Of Thrones is the flagship money printer right now, whereas most of their other shows seem pretty niche (Girls, Looking, etc). Some of their upcoming shows also seem rather niche, like the Silicone Valley project, plus at least two more comedies.

They're remaking Utopia for US audiences (speaking of which I need to watch the original), but I don't think that will become a major must see  show. Will True Detective become their next hit, or is it going to be a Wire-esque critical darling with middling ratings. We'll see. Seems like it's the only legit great show on HBO's horizon right now; I don't consider Game Of Thrones to be great/comparable to stuff like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. It could be with better writers.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #8029 on: February 23, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
Original Utopia is some great fucking weird stuff.
Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8030 on: February 23, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
Black Sails had its most Spartacus-esque action episode yet.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #8031 on: February 23, 2014, 10:03:19 PM »
"Nice hook, Marty."

:lol
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #8032 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »
would be line of the true detective episode if not for
"If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself."
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8033 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
wHEN WILL td BE UP?  I didn't mean to caplock that but subconsciously I'm in caplock mode.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #8034 on: February 23, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »

:whew :whew 
Boo

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8035 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »

ZephyrFate

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8037 on: February 24, 2014, 12:07:11 AM »
aw mother fuckers another week

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8038 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
This show, guys. This fucking show. I can't handle it.
zzzzz

Oblivion

« Reply #8039 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:47 AM »
Has anyone here seen that Sherlock Holmes show with Lucy Liu? Is it any good? I've been watching the BBC version which is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:32:40 AM by Oblivion »