Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082544 times)

Yulwei

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11580 on: July 04, 2015, 02:22:43 AM »
I'm in the middle of Dark Matter ep 2 and this is so fucking awesome. Any fans of 90s sci-fi TV or just any sci-fi fan in general should definitely check this out.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11581 on: July 04, 2015, 03:46:07 AM »
Ettv used to have their own site that got shut down not too long ago, pretty sure it's not just one person.
ettv got shutdown? end of an era
You might be thinking of eztv. ettv still posts, I think their primary is kickasstorrents, kat.cr. eztv did actually shut down because their domains got seized, servers got taken over and replaced with false links (like the corporations post) like five times in a row so they said fuck it.

Though I preferred eztv's torrents because it was just the file.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11582 on: July 05, 2015, 12:25:17 AM »
Mr. Robot is weird in the sense that it really straddles the line between good and corny/over the top. Kinda reminds me of EU/British shows in that regard. Like any time it gets to be almost too much it immediately goes very self-aware ord does something really sharp to tip the balance.

EDIT: Dominion is a garbage show even by garbage tier standards. If there is one show on syfy I would never recommend someone it's dominion.
I dislike Legion, the movie that Dominion was based on, but a post-apocalyptic drama where the Angels have literally come down to fight Demons, but the Angels are flawed seemed like a fantastic idea for a series. I watched the premiere, which was tremendously stupid. So disappointing.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11583 on: July 05, 2015, 01:48:22 AM »
Mr. Robot is weird in the sense that it really straddles the line between good and corny/over the top. Kinda reminds me of EU/British shows in that regard. Like any time it gets to be almost too much it immediately goes very self-aware ord does something really sharp to tip the balance.

EDIT: Dominion is a garbage show even by garbage tier standards. If there is one show on syfy I would never recommend someone it's dominion.
I dislike Legion, the movie that Dominion was based on, but a post-apocalyptic drama where the Angels have literally come down to fight Demons, but the Angels are flawed seemed like a fantastic idea for a series. I watched the premiere, which was tremendously stupid. So disappointing.

The show had this big tease the whole season with the guardian angel dude. Basically teasing that maybe he's not as good as he says he is or maybe he's on another side. They finally reveal it in the finale xena warrior princess bad wig style:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Turns out that flood in the bible? Not a literal flood but him and a few other angels just killing humans wholesale on God's orders and loving it. Turns out the "bad" angels they've been fighting were really just the angels that were like "maybe killing this many people is bad you know? maybe god fucked up and is wrong?"
[close]
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11584 on: July 05, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »
I don't remember a whole lot about Dominion, except there was occasional nudity in it which was strange for syfy
WDW

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11585 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:14 AM »
So finished going through Archer. Good time for the most of it, the art and animation gets better as the series goes on. Season 5 tried to break off the formula which was brave but fall on its face doing it though. They went back to the formula in the last current season but there's some fatigue, me thinks. A lot of plots ends up in a complete non-sequitur Simpsons-like now... Overall though, big up to the cast, great performances all around. Would definitely recommend if you have a James Bond hitch.

Otherwise watched Bojack Horseman. Kind of confused, as I expected something funny, but turns out the writing is actually decent. I guess it's more of a Daria type show than comedy. Definitely don't judge on only the first episode. Also weird furry vibes.  :wtf
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:01:09 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11586 on: July 06, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »

The show had this big tease the whole season with the guardian angel dude. Basically teasing that maybe he's not as good as he says he is or maybe he's on another side. They finally reveal it in the finale xena warrior princess bad wig style:
Turns out that flood in the bible? Not a literal flood but him and a few other angels just killing humans wholesale on God's orders and loving it. Turns out the "bad" angels they've been fighting were really just the angels that were like "maybe killing this many people is bad you know? maybe god fucked up and is wrong?"
[close]
Wait, I'm confused:
The Big Bad dude they intro at the end of the pilot episode is actually a guy who was against killing so many humans, or the Angel who is looking over Fortress Vegas is the one who was maybe-kinda against killing so many humans? Are there Angel who were not into killing Man, or were they all just jealous over God's new toy?
[close]

Also did you see the Aronofsky/Russell Crowe Noah movie and, if so, what'd you think of it?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11587 on: July 06, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »

[close]
Wait, I'm confused:
The Big Bad dude they intro at the end of the pilot episode is actually a guy who was against killing so many humans, or the Angel who is looking over Fortress Vegas is the one who was maybe-kinda against killing so many humans? Are there Angel who were not into killing Man, or were they all just jealous over God's new toy?
[close]

Also did you see the Aronofsky/Russell Crowe Noah movie and, if so, what'd you think of it?

Bad guyliner black wearing angel at the end of the pilot was against killing humans. Him and their sister we meet in a later ep. Angel living in the tower with the humans was killing all the humans.
[close]

Never saw Noah

helios

« Reply #11588 on: July 07, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »
Rick and Morty season 2 episode 1 and 2 where really great.  I realized this show is to Doctor Who as Always Sunny is to Seinfeld.

GOOOOOOODBYYYYYYE MOOOOONMAN!

benjipwns

« Reply #11589 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
Complications is awesome, Matt Nix does it again.

Now, for Mr. Robot.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11590 on: July 08, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
Rectify S3 tomorrow.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11591 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
That's a really tough show to watch waiting  for a new episode every week. I think I'll wait until the end.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11592 on: July 09, 2015, 12:12:27 AM »
Was renewed for a Season 4 as well. I hope six episodes makes S3 as good as S1. The show is better when it's more constrained for time.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11593 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
That's a really tough show to watch waiting  for a new episode every week. I think I'll wait until the end.

Yeah I'll be waiting for it to finish its season.
zzzzz

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11594 on: July 10, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
Rectify S3E1: Kicked me in the feels. This is feeling very Season 1-like and it feels like the show has hit a really good groove continuing off the last 4 eps of Season 2.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:55:21 AM by ZephyrFate »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11595 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Banshee is so ridiculous but in a good way.  A very good way.
🍆🍆

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11596 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
Kinda enjoying wayward pines  :-[

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #11597 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S1 was quality stuff. The writing was as punchy and hilarious as prime 30 Rock and Ellie Kemper is a :heartbeat :omg :uguu status babe. Only complaint was the heavily stereotypical characters like Dong and (sometimes) Titus. Seemed pretty hacky compared to the rest of the show.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11598 on: July 10, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
Currently watching Arrested Development season 4. Loved the original run and this is certainly different (way more darker than bittersweet). I don't mind a show going out of its comfort zone but the character-centric episode format does affect pace and maybe I'm misremembering but voice over seems a bit of a crutch here to stitch everything with how over the place the timeline is.

Watched the two first episodes of Downtown Abbey too, and I like it very much. Fear that it will fall prey to the usual TV shows problems, namely that beyond what originally envisioned it will all just run on soap opera mechanics. But that's a problem to worry about later. Love the period, love to see on screen a now defunct reality, the sets are gorgeous, the actors are good and I like Joanne Froggatt so...
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11599 on: July 10, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11600 on: July 10, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
Both Ep1 and Ep2 of Rectify S3 are up on the SundanceTV website, for free.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #11601 on: July 10, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »
Both Ep1 and Ep2 of Rectify S3 are up on the SundanceTV website, for free.
:whoo
reckt

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11602 on: July 10, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
http://www.sundance.tv/watch-now/rectify/4344646923001/hoorah

Ep1. Ep2 is only available for the next week but Ep1 is up until October. Also, Rectify had its strongest viewership yet (224k), which is incredible for such an underwatched channel.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11603 on: July 11, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »
Watched s3 ep3 of Defiance, I guess I'm only one episode behind current now -- and I'm pretty unhappy with the direction they're taking. After the devastation of the first two episodes, both in drawing last season's finale to a close, and then shearing off ⅓ of the rest of the regulars, we're left with Nolan and Irisa acting inconsistently toward each other, Datak and Stahma Tarr weaseling along in a way which robs them of whatever little empathy the audience might have had for them, and a very simple story arc regarding an impending invasion or siege, led by this season's Big Bad, who doesn't seem competent enough to be in the leadership position he's in.

I'll probably keep watching, but it won't surprise me if this is its final season.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11604 on: July 11, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »
Everyone should give Mr. Robot a shot, it is pretty great despite Christian Slater being the titular character (sort of). 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11605 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »
Watched s3 ep3 of Defiance, I guess I'm only one episode behind current now -- and I'm pretty unhappy with the direction they're taking. After the devastation of the first two episodes, both in drawing last season's finale to a close, and then shearing off ⅓ of the rest of the regulars, we're left with Nolan and Irisa acting inconsistently toward each other, Datak and Stahma Tarr weaseling along in a way which robs them of whatever little empathy the audience might have had for them, and a very simple story arc regarding an impending invasion or siege, led by this season's Big Bad, who doesn't seem competent enough to be in the leadership position he's in.

I'll probably keep watching, but it won't surprise me if this is its final season.

You're 3 eps behind and they sorta explain why Irisa is acting the way she is but it still feels weak. The most recent episode (6) was good though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11606 on: July 12, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »
Oh god, I just watched the GOB "Go away Getaway" and Lindsay episodes from Arrested Development  :lol
No joke the pace really picked up.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11607 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »

You're 3 eps behind and they sorta explain why Irisa is acting the way she is but it still feels weak. The most recent episode (6) was good though.

Thanks. Yeah, wow. I'll get caught up shortly.

It's easy to think why Irisa will feel this way; if they go any route other than "I killed New York," I'll be disappointed but not surprised. My biggest problem with season 3 has been the ease with which they've turned away from progress in season 2.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
like TV and stuff
« Reply #11608 on: July 14, 2015, 05:17:41 AM »
I have been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine season 2, and really liking it. The characterizations are better gelled than the first season, and everyone has slightly more nuance in their strengths and weaknesses. The show is turning more into an ensemble show than just Samberg riffing off everyone. Andre Braugher's Captain Holt has been hilarious by being surprising in his own inability to act human, and how dry and epically /off/ his humor is compared to the rest of the squad. I dunno, I just love this show.

Wow, glad to hear Defiance gets a good episode with 6, because I did not enjoy episode 4; I'm not fond of Amanda in general, and finding Pottinger-in-exile was slapdash and forced. They seem fond of giving absolutely brutal send-offs to their previously-central characters, and it feels petulant rather than poignant.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: like TV and stuff
« Reply #11609 on: July 14, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
I have been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine season 2, and really liking it. The characterizations are better gelled than the first season, and everyone has slightly more nuance in their strengths and weaknesses. The show is turning more into an ensemble show than just Samberg riffing off everyone. Andre Braugher's Captain Holt has been hilarious by being surprising in his own inability to act human, and how dry and epically /off/ his humor is compared to the rest of the squad. I dunno, I just love this show.

Honestly the side characters are the funny stuff to me. Andre Braugher is hilarious to me in that role. But I agree with the stuff you said. The show feels like a 70's comedy with an ensemble cast that you really like.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11610 on: July 14, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
Boyle is probably my favorite character; I worked with a guy exactly like him.

Holt is super funny; I just watched the s2 finale and he really nailed it. What an amazing, subtle performance.  The episodes where Rosa and Holt play their two versions of stoicism off each other awkwardly are hilarious.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11611 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »

:lawd

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11612 on: July 15, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11613 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
I finished rewatching The Wire last night after a few weeks binge. Amazon Prime has the series now in HD/widescreen but it took me a few episodes to notice that. It's still good but the parts with gangs hiding communication with pay phones and picture messages is really feeling old these days. I hope David Simon does a new series soon.

And before anyone asks; 4>3>2>1>5. That serial killer stuff was funny though.

Quaker

« Reply #11614 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »
I finished rewatching The Wire last night after a few weeks binge. Amazon Prime has the series now in HD/widescreen but it took me a few episodes to notice that. It's still good but the parts with gangs hiding communication with pay phones and picture messages is really feeling old these days. I hope David Simon does a new series soon.

And before anyone asks; 4>3>2>1>5. That serial killer stuff was funny though.

Generation Kill is worth watching and should be on Amazon Prime too, if you haven't seen it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11615 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
Show Me A Hero looks great. I'm bummed that Simon's next long term project is based on the porn industry in the 70s/80s though. I'd love to see him tackle something else.

benjipwns

« Reply #11616 on: July 15, 2015, 10:45:03 PM »
It's still good but the parts with gangs hiding communication with pay phones and picture messages is really feeling old these days.
I always found that the most compelling part of the police/street drama, the one first season episode where it's basically nothing but DeAngelo sending and receiving like two total messages and the police trying to figure out what the hell is going on because they're doing things like answering then hanging up immediately, etc. is one of my favorites of the series.

Then later when Stringer (?) has them tear out all the pay phones.

I guess it works as a historical snapshot though.

benjipwns

« Reply #11617 on: July 15, 2015, 10:45:40 PM »
This is still my favorite arrest on a TV show. Avon and Stringer just waiting there, already called the lawyer and cleaned everything out. :lol

No sense in ruining a good safe.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11618 on: July 16, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »
I also liked this one just for Lester's bottle assassination:

Generation Kill is also on Amazon and I would also recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. The message was definitely preaching to the choir but what I really about it was the slice of life moments of being a soldier.

Definitely nervous about Simon's new show being directed by Paul Haggis.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11619 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »
Generation Kill is pretty essential viewing. Too bad it doesn't get mentioned more but whatcanyado?
___

PlayDat

« Reply #11620 on: July 16, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
I started watching the Sopranos for the first time over Amazon Prime streaming.  Hit episode 5 "College" last night.   :whew  Best hour of television I watched in a long time.  (I watch maybe 3 hours a week so that's not saying much, but I did really like it!)

I especially liked how so many elements of that episode had been built up in the previous four.  Wouldn't have been nearly as suspenseful otherwise.

A bunch of the guys were watching the ex-mobster Tony was chasing after on TV earlier in the season. 

Carmela been way cozier with their priest than the average parishioner for a while now.

Daughter's clearly been in the know about what Tony does for a living.  I actually didn't think they were even trying to keep it a secret from her at that age.

Loved the ending.  Carmela's been very sympathetic so far.  Shows so much guilt just for being tempted to cheat, meanwhile her husband, a serial adulterer, has no remorse for neither his infidelity nor crimes.  Even gets to be cool dad while the mom get shit from their kids for doing actual parenting.

Aside from the fact that the series ends with a black screen I don't know anything about what happens from this point so don't spoil anything for me.  I know it aired 16 years ago, but give me a break I was 4.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11621 on: July 16, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
Started watching Ballers.   Ricky's beard is amazing.  So is all the tits. 

Beezy

« Reply #11622 on: July 17, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »
What? Ballers is boring as shit. So far it's less interesting than Entourage and even the completely forgettable How to Make it in America. I'm hoping it turns around at some point.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11623 on: July 17, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »
But don't you just like looking at the rock?  He's so fit.

Beezy

« Reply #11624 on: July 17, 2015, 08:33:57 AM »
Lol I've watched the Rock in a lot of movies, but this is probably the most boring role he's had to play. I hope he hits Reggie with a 2x4 soon.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11625 on: July 17, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
Arrested Development S4 : Was great after all. Considering where they went this season with Michael and George-Micheal, I guess there's a season left in the show maybe. All the more since the production schedule is such a slog... The weird format is a bit hit and miss, but some of the longest jokes were worth it.

The whole Fakeblock punchline  :lol

Lindsay becoming a GOP candidate was great.
[close]

Bojack Horseman S2 : Binge watched it, feel awful because of that. Also because the show is pretty dark at times.

A Bill Cosby like hippototamus gets off scott free and Bojack really cross the line with teens.
[close]

I think they did a great job and the show is much more adept at doing segway to parodies, the Hollywood satire is nothing new but the talking animals package brings some fresh perspective to it, and there's better pace overall.

There's a funny subplot where Todd is trading places with a junta dictator who looks like him. There's a real brievity to it, a lot of set up is left to the audience's mind and it actually ties in really well in the discourse of that particular episode and the show in general
[close]

See you next year ?
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11626 on: July 17, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
Almost Human was on sale, so I finally picked up the series. I can't believe this show was canceled. It's smart science fiction, good acting, great production values. Someone should've granted a second season just 'cos. I'm torn between marathoning it or trying to make it last.  :-\

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11627 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
Almost Human was on sale, so I finally picked up the series. I can't believe this show was canceled. It's smart science fiction, good acting, great production values. Someone should've granted a second season just 'cos. I'm torn between marathoning it or trying to make it last.  :-\

It was a FOX scifi show so it was doomed from the start.

I really liked it too :brazilcry
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11628 on: July 18, 2015, 12:23:29 AM »
I liked Almost Human too. But they aired all the episodes out of order to get out the more action-y episodes first, so what should have been (I'm assuming) natural character growth made it feel like all the characters were having ridiculous mood swings from one episode to the next. Such a shame, the world building was top notch.
WDW

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11629 on: July 18, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
This is still my favorite arrest on a TV show. Avon and Stringer just waiting there, already called the lawyer and cleaned everything out. :lol

No sense in ruining a good safe.

I also liked this one just for Lester's bottle assassination:

Both great.   This one from the under appreciated Southland is also up there for me:

MMA

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11630 on: July 18, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
Bojack Horseman definitely improved this season. I always thought it was a not really funny show that was pretty good at dramatic moments and somewhat dark subject matter, this time around I found it much funnier(still not nonstop hilarity but I don't think the show is going for that anyway) and some better writing and pacing overall. I binged the entire thing and already can't wait for the third season.

I think they made a much better job at nailing their episode "formula", like with the game show or the fried chicken one. It moves the plot but works as a self contained affair. I also love what they did with both Todd and Mister Peanutbutter. Peanutbutter especially appears at first to be this dumb, insufferable rival and you would think he is being set up to be humiliated and / or revealed as something sinister. But it turns out he is actually one of the earnest guys in the show and it highlights how Bojack is a douche by trying to shit up his marriage.
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #11631 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
bojack horseman reminds me of kara
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11632 on: July 18, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
the auto erotic asphyxiation episode

:dead

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11633 on: July 18, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »
Going back for a cheap The Asylum fix with Z-Nation episodes. While I love The Walking Dead comic, I found the TV show interminable; Z-Nation is the serialized zombie drama we deserve. Bad acting, postproduction camera shakes, gratuitous re-use of footage, sometimes within 3 minutes of its previous display...

:lawd

Waiting on watching Defiance, as I'm trying to let the previous episode sink in. Finally watching all the shitstirring by the Tarr family come home to roost, brought out by such a vengeful source... I am afraid ep. 7 is going to suck in comparison.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11634 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
I'm about halfway through the second season of The Sopranos.  It's like Mad Men, except it's good.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #11635 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:22 AM »
I'm about halfway through the second season of The Sopranos.  It's like Mad Men, except it's good.

:dead

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11636 on: July 20, 2015, 12:49:51 AM »
wow how's it feel to have a shit opinion

benjipwns

« Reply #11637 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:11 AM »
I liked Almost Human too. But they aired all the episodes out of order to get out the more action-y episodes first, so what should have been (I'm assuming) natural character growth made it feel like all the characters were having ridiculous mood swings from one episode to the next.
Fox has done this with all sorts of shows. Firefly most famously, but they also did it to a bunch of others. They did it with Sliders. The Finder. Lie to Me. The Good Guys. I remember instances in each of the last three where some key event was focused around. Then like five episodes later, the character finally did/got/saw whatever the prior episode was focused around.

Til Death was made amazing because of this and other meddling because they eventually just went with it.

Tasty

« Reply #11638 on: July 20, 2015, 02:02:19 AM »
Fox shows :dead

When I see a show from a creator I love is picked up :rejoice

When I realize it's on Fox :kobeyuck

When I watch the first season hoping for a second

When it's renewed for a second :preach

When it's cancelled after two episodes in :fbm

benjipwns

« Reply #11639 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:07 AM »
The one Fox fuckery with a show that I never expected to hit me as hard as it did was Tru Calling. I was casually watching it and then got hooked. But it ends on a crazy as fuck cliffhanger because Fox said they'd get a third season so they went all in.

only nope lol sry jk

Oh, and then Fox didn't air the last episodes of season two. :lol

One of the writers wrote out what would have happened on some live journal somewhere quite extensively, so it's not quite as bad as Reaper's creators only giving like a three sentence answer to what would have happened in a third season despite having it all mapped out.