Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082545 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13560 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »

I didn't finish s2 narcos but this looks good. Ultra violence amen.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13561 on: August 03, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
Caught up on Neon Joe. Jon Glaser is the best

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13562 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »

so good, i know the rules of the road!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13563 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:18 AM »

:rofl

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13564 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:35 AM »

so good, i know the rules of the road!

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

lmao

You seen Jon Glaser Loves Gear?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13565 on: August 04, 2017, 12:53:21 AM »
i saw like the first ep, been meaning to go back to it  :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13566 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13567 on: August 04, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
Here's hoping they can salvage it. I was pretty disappointed in S2. It's weird. Most of the individual episodes were good, but as a whole, the season was just unsatisfying. It's been a year since I watched it, but I recall basically every big reveal being very underwhelming.

I'm still in. I loved S1 and shows have recovered from flopza seasons before.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13568 on: August 04, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
Everyone i know who streamed it after it had all aired said it liked it and a few seem to suggest it leaned itself better to a binge format. But yeah it was rocky.

etiolate

« Reply #13569 on: August 04, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
I didn't finish season 2 because I felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I'll probably get back to it.

TVC15

« Reply #13570 on: August 04, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
I didn't finish season 2 because I felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I'll probably get back to it.

Without going all spoilery, your feelings are mostly accurate. At least it spins its wheels in a very pretty way.
serge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13571 on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »

:preach Seems like Sam took the complaints about Season 2 to heart.

The fact there's rioting now in the streets seems like they're moving past the "where is Tyrell?" storyline/hanger and actually moving the plot toward the aftermath of Season 1 AND 2's plots.

I ended up giving up because I didn't like the very last few episodes of Mr. Robot and wasn't compelled by the beginning of the second season.

Once the Fight Club references got too on the nose I was a bit turned off.

Give Season 2 another chance. Once you hit
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Grace Gummer's Chinese Shootout
[close]
things start to pick up.

It's definitely a slow burn season though. I don't think folks that don't like Season 2 would pick up Halt and Catch Fire because that can be slow-burning as well.

Sadly, I can't find the scene on Youtube, but it's within the third episode. It's a long cut, which made it amazing how they filmed it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:13:49 PM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #13572 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
I was totally on board with season two because I was convinced it would pay off, and it super did not. It made me really miss the "fun" moments season one had like the impersonation/break-in at the data center. (Elliot tearing that nice guy a new asshole is still absolutely classic.) Season two had nothing like that.

It's still good TV but I was really disappointed with it, and not because it was "slow."

Edit- The Tyrell dick-teasing all season was SO dumb. No one cared but Sam Esmail was convinced it was the show's "monster from LOST" or some shit.

Chinese Shootout and Restaurant Shootouts were definitely the highlights though. I'm a sucker for super quick "shit got REAL" changes like that.
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13573 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:39 AM »
Mr. Robot lost me in the last third of season 1.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13574 on: August 06, 2017, 02:49:22 AM »
season two was all setting pieces in place because they were all new pieces or had to be moved, i always figured that would be a problem especially with the garbage season one finale outside of the scary as hell street encounter (which got a great frightening callback) and it did work far better watching multiple episodes at a time because it did seem like far more were three episodes of content in a normal show smashed together and then chopped up into three 40 minutes segments to be episodes than the first season, entire episodes just "end" and then everything in say three up front plot lines happens in one episode, etc.

i think i commented before after watching it, the largest problem was Sam got the whole season to direct himself, which led to both the best moments and the worst moments, brilliant work and overindulgence that doesn't remember when to stop, he's got brilliant framing skills and shows he knows less is often more BUT because he wants suspense he leaves scenes running far longer than that to where they go past suspense into impatience...a lot of Whiterose's stuff got battered due to this...a lot of the episodes do this*

i'm personally totally on board with it overall because a show where the audience is kept in dark as much as the main character and toys with the medium like this does i allow it its indulgences and the "we have to do this for people" stuff, i actually hope that what it has telegraphed is just it, that there isn't more to it like people want, the "more" just continuing to be unforeseen fallout

not really spoilers but will anyway just because
*like the prison, it didn't need half an episode showing you everything, LOOK THE COURT IS IN THE YARD, THE DINER IS THE CAFETERIA, HE'S TALKING ABOUT SEINFELD BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU GET INSIDE, it's better, like the Darlene reveal (the good reveal) in the first season to just drop the curtain and make you think back on how it explains all those prior events and questions with one simple piece of information (an example from the plot line that did work? no double fake out on you, Leon had a purpose and was part of the act)

the 80s sitcom thing was made up for by Angela's hacking adventure, the silk road nonsense is made up for by the chinese embassy/meeting and dom in general, tyrell coming back and having a crazy hideout is made up for by joanna's concept of revenge and dom walking darlene through the FBI to the big board which was the scene of the season for me

edit: wtf how can you leave out the walk to here? usa fail smh alt-righters
[close]

the main thing is i wish he would announce how many seasons already, after the first season he suggested four, perhaps five and i hope he's sticking to that, ideally four imo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:55:53 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #13575 on: August 06, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »
I finally watched the second season of Mr. Robot.

I'm glad I decided to do what I do with Homeland and probably anything else serialized I start from now on is wait and watch the season as a whole once it completes.

I really liked it, I know a lot of people are upset because nothing BIG happened but it was all character stuff and that was nice. This is supposedly the first half of act two, with season three being the rest of act two. Then seasons four and five are act three which ends it. But writers say lots of stuff.

Dom was great, and I loved more White Rose. The first half with Darryl was kinda unnecessary like with the drug dealer in the first season I thought. It just kept Elliott with things to do while everyone else moved forward in the plot beats. Joanna's plot had the same thing. But once again she maybe got the epic oh god she's frightening scene of the season that almost justified it all.

The one thing I love about this show is that the reveals aren't really reveals in the standard TV method, it's all there before, Elliott's not an unreliable narrator as much as he's in the dark as much as we are. And there's a way that the unpeeling of the onion doesn't make me go "wow didn't see that coming" instead it makes me want to go back because I know it's all there before. Even stupid stuff like two seconds of a shot of Darlene in a park with an open laptop sitting next to her, how they put in obsessive detail about the hacking being legit, Mobley mashing Alt+F4 and Ctrl+Alt+Del while pretending to be an IT guy, etc. I thought the "routine" thing was a bit hokey and they went out of their way to show it all which lessened it (and also made the conclusion of that arc with Darryl not make as much sense) rather than thinking back to exactly okay that explains the basketball, and the Seinfeld and so on...I have a feeling explaining Angela is going to get kneecapped like that.

I know there's been a lot of criticism over letting Sam Esmail direct every episode this season and man does he certainly get up his own ass at times, but there are just some great framing in the shots. He did a lot with just leaving a camera in one place for every scene in a certain location. The camera not moving while people pause and there's hanging silences put tension into some otherwise weak dialogue, White Rose got that treatment a lot I noticed. Where he's just looking at someone for a moment.

One thing I'd like White Rose to do is help the show inform me of time better. That might be intentional and will unfold as we go but it gives the impression at times that we've seen four years of events in the two seasons.

Loved Darlene's walk through the FBI and then looking at the big board. And it backward explaining the busts they thought were someone else.
[close]

Also I get why especially since it has some obvious similarities, but people comparing this to Fight Club irk a little because this season really gave me the further impression that EvilCorp and FiveNine aren't really much more than MacGuffin's rather than some kind of "message" about debt or corporations or class or something. The show seems vastly more concerned with playing with the medium for its messages. Even Angela's storyline is using EvilCorp for building her character, literally in some cases, and the season started to strip away what initially seemed like its overimportance to her.

Of course, I'm not sure Fight Club is anywhere strong enough to carry its own attempted message as claimed by Fincher/Norton/Pitt but that's my own issue I guess.
[close]

I really hope this show stays tight and focused, like I don't know, Deadwood did, instead of sprawling towards levels it can't hold up and was never built to work with in an effort to chase a new high. What's that? No, I wasn't intentionally referencing Homeland up above because of this.

Unlike Deadwood, I hope it gets to finish though. Ugh. Still hurts.
wow repeat urself much NERD

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13576 on: August 06, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »

"i want that kinda love like docking kind of love like penis in the foreskin kinda love like just warm"

which borean wrote this?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13577 on: August 07, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »
Rick and Morty is so good

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13578 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:23 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13579 on: August 07, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
Rick and Morty is so good

That was a great episode. 

TVC15

« Reply #13580 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
So I had some work to do last night, and I wanted to watch Thrones or TP, but not while I was distracted doing work. I wanted to watch something, though, so I put on Ballers because it was on the main HBO screen and I didn't want to waste 20 minutes figuring out something to watch and holy shit is it terrible. Please tell me nobody watched this shit.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13581 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
So I had some work to do last night, and I wanted to watch Thrones or TP, but not while I was distracted doing work. I wanted to watch something, though, so I put on Ballers because it was on the main HBO screen and I didn't want to waste 20 minutes figuring out something to watch and holy shit is it terrible. Please tell me nobody watched this shit.

it seems to be building it's audience off whatever is left of ppl who liked entourage

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13582 on: August 07, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
I'd watch anything with the Rock in it.  I've seen 3 episodes of Ballers. 

TVC15

« Reply #13583 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »

it seems to be building it's audience off whatever is left of ppl who liked entourage

I knew everybody said it was just Entourage with The Rock, but that's exactly what it is. Except not as good (or at least not as good as the 3-4 seasons of Entourage I saw before newp-ing out).

I'd watch anything with the Rock in it.  I've seen 3 episodes of Ballers.

Also why I gave it a shot. I saw Baywatch in the theater.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #13584 on: August 08, 2017, 01:15:48 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13585 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13586 on: August 08, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

Fuck ya'll, Spencer Strathmore is bringing football to Vegas and can't nothing hold our boy down.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13587 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13588 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:06 AM »

Could be cool! I liked the shot of Iron Fist breaking that sword.

benjipwns

« Reply #13589 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:15 AM »
https://www.nbc.com/ap-bio

i don't get it, where's the rest of the gang and what's the angle, which chick is he trying to bang

benjipwns

« Reply #13590 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »

:dead

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13591 on: August 16, 2017, 03:34:24 AM »
"I'm gonna make this pencil disappear"
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #13592 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:52 AM »
maybe it's me but it seems like the more obvious thing is to cast someone (or just use Vinnie Jones I guess) who can do a Penn Jillette-ish older "knows all the tricks" type rather than a really annoying version of Shawn Spencer

but i guess then you can't as easily have THE ROMANTIC TENSION hook between the two main characters

of course i thought that after we literally did LUCIFER in this vein that writers might rethink the whole straight-woman cop and wacky male consultant gimmick

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #13593 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
Been watching The Expanse s2. Probably my favorite show out there right now. Excellent casting all around.
nat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13594 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
I really like that show. I enjoy laughing at the ridiculous things that the Martian space cowboy says

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13595 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #13596 on: August 17, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »

TVC15

« Reply #13597 on: August 17, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
OMG! Finally.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13598 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/galaxy-quest-tv-series-paul-scheer/

Never saw anything this dude wrote, how is he?

benjipwns

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:26:35 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #13600 on: August 18, 2017, 12:19:49 AM »
but he's probably not good enough to script a line like "Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?"

that's a once in a millennia type of comedic alignment

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13601 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
Luke Cage's lecture to Iron Fist about white privilege :dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13602 on: August 19, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
Defenders didn't really have any high moments and a bunch of lows.  Better than Iron Fist though.  7/10

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13603 on: August 19, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
i only watched the first ep but it's amazing how much better directed, choreographed and hell, even lit DD is than Iron Fist.

Particular shout out to all the Luke Cage bits though, where it felt like whoever wrote and shot this was really showing him love? like all the rap driven intro/scenes with him are super well done, even better than his own show and that was part of his show i think they nailed really well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13604 on: August 20, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
I've only seen most of Daredevil s1, haven't seen any other Netflix Marvel stuff until last night. Finally started Jessica Jones, and I see why everyone is excited. It does a good job adapting the comic, and the villain setup is absolutely top tier. Ended up watching three episodes back to back, which is something of a feat in my family.

Tasty

« Reply #13605 on: August 20, 2017, 10:16:35 PM »
Daredevil Season 1 > Jessica Jones > Daredevil Season 2 > The Defenders > Luke Cage >>> Iron Fist

In terms of fight choreography:

Daredevil Season 1 > The Defenders > Daredevil Season 2 > Luke Cage > Jessica Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iron Fist
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13606 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:16 PM »
The defenders fighters were really uneven.  Also the sound was really off on some of the hits.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13607 on: August 21, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13608 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:28 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13609 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13610 on: August 24, 2017, 01:23:10 AM »
i know a lot of ppl here are hard on the show and max landis but i think it's easily the best thing he's done so far. His "imma throw everything at the fucking wall" style of writing works well when he's got a tight schedule and a room of writers. First season is silly and fun.

i should check out the books eventually though, i like this show and i liked the british series they did a couple years ago too

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13611 on: August 24, 2017, 01:47:02 AM »
I haven't seen Dirk Gently but if you're remotely interested in it check out the source material. I haven't re-read any of it in ages but Douglas Adams written stuff has always been better than any of the adaptations. I have an affection towards The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul which is part of the Dirk Gently stuff

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13612 on: August 24, 2017, 03:59:56 AM »
I've only seen most of Daredevil s1, haven't seen any other Netflix Marvel stuff until last night. Finally started Jessica Jones, and I see why everyone is excited. It does a good job adapting the comic, and the villain setup is absolutely top tier. Ended up watching three episodes back to back, which is something of a feat in my family.

Holy shit, this show is fantastic. I'm eight episodes in. The exploration of being violated, and what it takes to come back from that is amazing. David Tennant's Kilgrave is all about white male privilege, blaming the victim, failing to take responsibility… It's harsh through and through, but remarkable.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13613 on: August 24, 2017, 04:25:47 AM »
Jessica Jones was my favorite of the netflix shows for much the reasons you mention.

benjipwns

« Reply #13614 on: August 24, 2017, 04:47:20 AM »
thanks for the reminders on that one guys, a friend who hates anything even remotely like comics/superheroes/etc. watched it because it was Krysten Ritter and loved it and was being temped by the other Marvel stuff as a result

and i may partially have wanted to watch it for the same reason (also partly why i have the mockumentary Diplo show with James Van Der Beek queued up... Don't Trust The Bitch had to die so that others* could live?)

*most of the cast have said that ABC PR told them not to ever mention the existence of The Eric Andre Show with even him getting only a minor exception to this rule :lol
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13615 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:51 AM »
thanks for the reminders on that one guys, a friend who hates anything even remotely like comics/superheroes/etc. watched it because it was Krysten Ritter and loved it and was being temped by the other Marvel stuff as a result

and i may partially have wanted to watch it for the same reason (also partly why i have the mockumentary Diplo show with James Van Der Beek queued up... Don't Trust The Bitch had to die so that others* could live?)

*most of the cast have said that ABC PR told them not to ever mention the existence of The Eric Andre Show with even him getting only a minor exception to this rule :lol
[close]

I've never seen Ritter in anything other than Jessica Jones, so when I googled her just now, the image results showing her smiling were very disorienting for me.

Tasty

« Reply #13616 on: August 24, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »

Holy shit, this show is fantastic. I'm eight episodes in. The exploration of being violated, and what it takes to come back from that is amazing. David Tennant's Kilgrave is all about white male privilege, blaming the victim, failing to take responsibility… It's harsh through and through, but remarkable.

Unfortunately 8-10 episodes in is when the good Netflix Marvel shows start falling apart... :goty2

But yeah I go back to it more than the others for some reason, despite liking DD s1 better. I just really dig the atmosphere and Ritter sells the performance.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13617 on: August 25, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »

Disclaimer I watched all of season 1 and it had a strong start but felt like melrose place from about half way in.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #13618 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13619 on: August 25, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
Why is it so hard to find a good TV show to watch in 2k17? Nothing seems to interest me anymore. :'(