Author Topic: the bore techfeggit's klub: a review of the sager np6110/clevo w110er  (Read 13032 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
alright, peenylickers. as promised, i benched the latest in my ongoing rotation of gaming laptops: the sager np6110 (a branded version of the clevo w11er). it's an 11.6" netbook-sized gaming rig that takes a screaming dump in the mouth of whatever you are using right now unless you're posting from one of those archaic desktop things that no-one with any class or taste uses, because they are wholly unnecessary. yuck, desktop dirtpeople. why are you allowed to vote in my america.

here’s the specs:

11.6" form factor with 1366x768 display
core i7-3610qm quad-core (ivy bridge) cpu @ 2.3 ghz
nvidia 650m w/ 2GB GDDR3 VRAM
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
240 GB intel 520 (SATA 6.0) SSD
intel centrino advanced-n 6235 wifi/bt 4.0

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP6110 -- the baseline spec with an HDD, 4 gb ram and a sandy bridge dual core is $899. you still get the 650m, which is what matters for games. my rig as configured was just shy of $1500.

now, i'm really obsessed with portability and cramming as much power into a small form factor as possible. netbooks and ultrabooks alike have failed me, because they lack the horsepower i need when i'm stuck in some third-world part of the coutry, like oklahoma or clallam bay, wa. I DESIRE TO PLAY THE GAMES WITH FEW COMPROMISES.

this machine pleases. running furmark and prime95, i spiked cpu temps with all cores active at 89 degrees celsius, which isn't bad. with a cooling mat (zalman), i dropped them down to 82 at peak. here's some peak temps (as reported by cpu-z hwmonitor pro) WITHOUT the mat:

kingdoms of amalur: 76 degrees C
sf x tekken: 73 degrees C
crysis 2: 78 degrees C
dragon age: origins (a real cpu hog, puts very little on the gpu relatively): 81 degrees C

beats out my alienware m14x (which went to my wife, it spiked da: origins at 88 degrees C), and that machine was rock solid despite the heat. (i had to repaste and repipe it, and disable turboboost, though, otherwise it went into the late 90s C.)

running it on a cooling mat drops everything by 5-7 degrees. i only bother with the mat at home, of course, so the temps off it are more important.

perf is great. the gpu -- the 650m -- is the gddr3 model, which means the vram is slower than the gddr5 variant, but it's been clocked up by 125MHz on the shader cores, and as a result, it's apparently in the same ballpark. gpu performance is largely equivalent to that of a 560m (nvidia) or 6870m (amd) from the last generation, or a GT550 desktop card.

some fps numbers w/ settings. ALL games are run at 1366x768 (native res) with 4x MSAA and 8x AF.

street fighter x tekken. all settings maxed. with vsync, ~60 fps. without vsync, ~130 fps.
crysis 2. all settings high. with vsync, ~42 fps. (lol consoles)
skyrim. all settings high. with vsync, ~45 fps. (lol consoles)
kingdoms of amalur. all settings maxed except shadows (high). with vsync, ~60 fps.
saints row 3. all settings high. with vsync, ~40 fps. (some fluctuations. lol consoles)
mass effect 3. all settings maxed. with vsync, ~60 fps. (lol consoles)

it has both an hdmi port and a vga port (as well as 2 usb 3.0 ports and 1 usb 2.0 port). i ran skyrim out to my projector at 1080p with the same settings and got ~38 fps.

the build quality is good if plain and homely. hipster girls will not want to touch it when you are slumming at your organic coffeehouse. the rubberized plastic feels super sturdy and solid. the island keyboard has minimal flex, and while the keys are 90% sized, they have good throw, albeit requiring a little pressure. hinge is sturdy. power button is accessible. tiny right shift key and bonaduce-sized arrow keys suck.

battery life on moderate power settings (screen half brightness, integrated gpu) is a little north of 4 hours, which isn't very good. (i am used to 10+ on my samsung series 7 work machine. even the m14x got a little past 6 hours off power.)

an optimized install plus ssd pegs the boot time for Win7 at about 8 seconds. (lol macbooks) i'mma slap win8 on a small second partition and watch it uefi boot in under three. AHUAHUAHUAHUA.

tl;dr homers, here's the LIST:

BUENO:
+ fuck amazing gaming performance in a perfectly mobile form factor
+ good build quality
+ decent 90% keyboard
+ LOTS OF PORTS (VGA and HDMI out! 2x USB 3.0!)
+ makes your gross consoles seem even more pathetic
+ synaptics touchpad is surprisingly decent, buttons don't suck

EHHHH:
? battery life is kinda weak
? rubber-coated exterior feels tough but looks kinda cheapy-dull
? temps are passable but this is still a fairly warm rig

LE POO:
- screen quality overall is naff; crappy contrast ratio and middling lux levels
- 1366x768 is PASSABLE for an 11.6" screen -- IF THIS WAS 2010. the ghost of steve jobs says FUCK THIS SHIT.
- the 120W power brick is kinda big. you can order it with a 90W which is fine (no throttle on max draw), but won't charge yer laptop while it's in use.

WISH I HAD GOTTEN:

> the core i7 3612qm -- it's a 35W cpu (albeit at 2.1 ghz instead of 2.3, who the fuck cares), but it runs a little cooler and you pick up an extra 1-2 hours battery life.
> a matte screen, which mythlogic and xotic-pc have as an option that sager doesn't.

OVERALL: 8.5/10. I AM HAPPY WITH IT, THIS MEANS I WILL KEEP IT FOR THE MAXIMUM ALOTTED PERIOD OF THREE MONTHS.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i'll add some pics inna bit.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
seriously, outside of the screen, this is more powerful than the most expensive macbook you can buy. HAW HAW HAW
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
post some video of it running Battlefield 3
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i don't own bf3, thank god. notebookreview.com goons have it running on high settings between 30 and 40 fps.
duc

Himu

when are the new macbook pros out
IYKYK

Himu

i want a new one for dishonored/avid/ps cs6 so i can finally get rid of my windows laptop
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
probably june/july
duc

cool breeze

Xotic has a matte screen option too?

post some video of it running Battlefield 3

Himu

is ivy bridge really as good as people say
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
yes, but as a mac user, you hafta wait to find out
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
my PC has only run BF3 once...now it just sits on 'Initializing...'

can't be arsed to trouble-shoot it but it was amazing-looking that one time
vjj

Himu

yes, but as a mac user, you hafta wait to find out

i'm not going to get on day one, will read reviews
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
ha ha, apple fanboys pretending to be discerning customers, pull the other one it has a logo on it
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
That looks like a beast alright, but I really don't see me enjoying gaming on a laptop somehow.
vjj

cool breeze

I can't find the matte option on xotic.  I can live with glossy, probably  :-\ 

and with the 90w psu, I thought it only wouldn't charge when playing games or other intensive tasks.  It doesn't charge even when browsing the web?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
oops, only when playing games.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
That looks like a beast alright, but I really don't see me enjoying gaming on a laptop somehow.

hdmi cables are cheap, so are xbox 360 controllers
duc

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
how retardedly big is that PSU? is it about as big as a 360 power brick?
うぐう

cool breeze

should be way smaller than that

oops, only when playing games.

ok, thanks.

with frequent traveling 90w is more convenient.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:58:31 AM by Linkzg »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

hdmi cables are cheap, so are xbox 360 controllers

so are 11" screens :teehee
vjj

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
>unless you're posting from one of those archaic desktop things that no-one with any class or taste uses

>buys 11" shitop.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
we all know old people can't read text on a screen that small
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
All laptops should have matte screens like mine, it's such a big quality difference.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
how retardedly big is that PSU? is it about as big as a 360 power brick

it's a quarter of the size of  the 360 brick
duc

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
How big is it compared to the PSU of the Xbox 8?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
My rule has been to never buy a laptop with a monitor smaller than my cock.  I guess this counts out this Sager laptop :'(
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
When I first glanced at the title, I thought this was a Martin Raperman thread.
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
How big is it compared to the PSU of the Xbox 8?

it is a secret :teehee
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
this laptop is about 4x the power of a wii u, though, if anyone cares (no-one does)
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
- 1366x768 is PASSABLE for an 11.6" screen -- IF THIS WAS 2010. the ghost of steve jobs says FUCK THIS SHIT.

But the Macbook Air 11" has this resolution...
AMC

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
I used to be all GRRR GAMING LAPTOPS WHY- but now my 17 inch sager is all I use- desktop is a win8 beta box for fukin around
o_0

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
Wired fanbois
:{]

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
300 dpi 300 dpi 300 dpi 300 dpi 300 dpi 300 dpi
QED

recursivelyenumerable

also :bow 17 inch laptops, aka the one true form factor. carrying mine around everywhere helps keep me buff, using it everywhere helps keep me antisocial. what's not to like?
QED

Jamie

also :bow 17 inch laptops, aka the one true form factor. carrying mine around everywhere helps keep me buff, using it everywhere helps keep me antisocial. what's not to like?

Nah man, too big. Even in class it's too much IMO. I had a 17" hp but sold it for a 15" VAIO. That's about the most for me, 13" (macbook pro like) is the sweet spot for everything portable you want to do (gaming, music/video production etc.) Big is only good for Photoshop for me.

recursivelyenumerable

Smaller screens just don't work well for me with multiple windows on the screen at once, which I often need for consulting documentation and/or taking notes while doing something else.
QED

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa

chicks get wet when i bust out my 17", then it's all screaming orgasms when they see the 360 controller and ultra-setting skyrim
pcp

cool breeze

tbh I would've liked a clevo made 13 inch option with the same or better power.  I was looking for a laptop around that size until I found out about the w110er.

Bigger than that gets too big for my purposes, but I can understand wanting a big screen if it's your main computer.

But the Macbook Air 11" has this resolution...

to be fair, the MBA screen is IPS (iirc, since most apple products are).

MrAngryFace

17 inch isnt actually that bad- I think the more specific complaint would be that you cant take it to a coffee shop without looking distinguished mentally-challenged. As a mobile computer its fine, and having the screen size is totally worth it imo
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
So where do you game on your mobile death star, MAF? I can't see me ever playing a serious game in Starbucks...maybe if I had to travel for business a lot i'd think about it.

vjj

etiolate

I see people playing Starcraft 2 and LoL in coffee shops.

The 11inch gaming netbooks interest me because I primarily use the portable for writing and researching outside the house, but I do game. My current laptop is an old gaming laptop that is just too heavy, hot and power hungry for the mobility needed.

recursivelyenumerable

17 inch isnt actually that bad- I think the more specific complaint would be that you cant take it to a coffee shop without looking distinguished mentally-challenged. As a mobile computer its fine, and having the screen size is totally worth it imo

I take mine into coffee shops all the time, although I guess that doesn't actually contradict your complaint
QED

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
So where do you game on your mobile death star, MAF? I can't see me ever playing a serious game in Starbucks...maybe if I had to travel for business a lot i'd think about it.

i game at school in the library between classes, at all-day family events when ive got downtime, ...and i guess that's mostly it.  honestly most of the time i game in the front room while the fiancee watches tv.  great for a fix and we still have "together" time.
pcp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I'm usually accompanied by a 4yr old wherever I go so burying my head in a PC game is unlikely, I guess. I will need a new laptop fairly soon for work but am inclined to go for an ultrabook rather than focusing on games. Battery life is also important - what's the point of being mobile if you have to be tethered to a wall-wart all the time...
vjj

MrAngryFace

i game at school in the library between classes, at all-day family events when ive got downtime, ...and i guess that's mostly it.  honestly most of the time i game in the front room while the fiancee watches tv.  great for a fix and we still have "together" time.

At home, when out of town visiting people. It takes up WAY less space than a desktop even at home- and thats really what its all about.
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
but you have a desktop also
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i abandoned desktop years ago. i have a tricked out m17x that largelt serves as a desktop, but i can close it up and hide it when we need more space, or drag it upstairs to watch tv with the wife, or hault it to a friends house for SRS GAMING. it runs any modern pc game at 60 fps on high or maxed, which is all i ask.
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
but you are not MAF
vjj

MrAngryFace

I probably wont be upgrading/getting a new desktop- this is the last one.
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
It's all very tempting but still think an ultrabook that is actually nice to use - nice screen, keyboard, runs cool, good battery life - is the way to go for me. New MBP 15", day 1 :rock
vjj

MrAngryFace

yeah I dont care what you get, just sayin desktops for gaming are over for me
o_0

cool breeze

you guys have to consider that gaming desktops are considerably cheaper than gaming laptops

MrAngryFace

There's something to that argument, but unlike years back- I think there's plenty of mid-range laptops like THE ROG that do a fine job. Aiming for the stars is a killer for a desktop as much as laptops.
o_0

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Was about to post a reply saying that the desktop/laptop price here isn't as close as it was in the US so I could never go back to ROG.

But then I saw that you can get this exact model for AUS$1200.

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html

Most of the ROG style laptops are $1600+ with terrible GPUs, so this is a nice change.
itm

cool breeze

There's something to that argument, but unlike years back- I think there's plenty of mid-range laptops like THE ROG that do a fine job. Aiming for the stars is a killer for a desktop as much as laptops.

The 'goal' these days for PC enthusiasts is crazy.  The nvidia 690 is something like $900 and the people who're buying those are looking into multi-monitor, 3D, and faultless image quality (downsampling to 1080p, etc). I don't understand the need for all that; I've never even messed with SLI configs.  But I guess with the unchanging console-set standard and hardware constantly improving, enthusiasts need something to do.

I don't know if I'll get the point where my main gaming PC will be a laptop.  I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, but next time around I'll go smaller.  I dig the Lian Li TU200 case design and size.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:31:56 PM by Linkzg »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
hell, there are people who SLI the 690
vjj

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Desktop gaming :rock

:bow Dedicating a whole room to the master race :bow2
©ZH

Himu

desktops suck.

hey, look at all my wires and lack of mobility

go back to the 20th century, dorks
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
all that wasted space, all that clutter for marginal real-world performance gains

smh @ desktop nubs/poors

i was them once, in sadder times
duc