Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 15512 times)

Himu

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
After watching the debut trailer again I think I'm warming up to it. I'm still not sold on the controls, though. I'd like to see the press play it. I'm also not sold on Link's new tunic; hate the cargo pants. :yuck
IYKYK

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:35 PM »
after all these years people still spell it Gannon

So how am I supposed to spell it?  I could've sworn it was "Gannon".

Ah. One "n".  Mea culpa.
Tacos

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »
true talk

there are no trains or boat in this game making it better than the last two zelda released

Yes, but they've implemented a new tunneling system that allows you to travel underground at a third of your walking speed with no idea where you're going!
vjj

Himu

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »

:lol
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
JUST DANCE 2: OCARINA OF RHYME
obo

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
see, overreactions are fun for like 5 minutes
püp

bachikarn

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
# Posted 6:52 PST

He said they also want to change the typical structure of Zelda games with Skyward Sword.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
Looks like a Zelda game.  If you can honestly get excited over this you are too easy to please.

dealwithit.gif
püp

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

tbh I really don't care about the graphics, it's the game itself. The debut trailer, what was demoed, it all looks really bland and uninspired. I told Himumu this morning, it reminds me of a Rare game nowadays. Link's model as well as the enemies look recycled, the stages look like your typical bullshit (OMG A LAVA LEVEL NO WAI?), it just looks like a really half-assed game.

And can we please grow up and stop doing this "IT'S STILL IN DEVELOPMENT" bullshit? It isn't like Nintendo's marketing department accidentally picks what to show to the entire world when unveiling a game. This is supposed to be representative of the product. This is what is supposed to convince people to bank on them. And personally, I find it very unimpressive.
SRY

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Looks like a Zelda game.  If you can honestly get excited over this you are too easy to please.

Game looks hot mayne. I luuurv WW so I'm just hyped to see a new Zelda game with the same art direction.
◕‿◕

cool breeze

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
If Link was a wine drinking cheeseburger you both would stoked for this

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »
If Link was a wine drinking cheeseburger you both would stoked for this

Not if the gameplay was still the same.
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
I would
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »
zero faith in zelda now

it's all about the remaining wii titles (metroid, kirby) and 3ds

wii is dead

would you pick a particular side of crazy for christ's sake?
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:15 PM »
depressing that Spirit Tracks staff is working on this

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
as much as I don't like ST (it was alright but still not what I wanted), most of the Zelda staff since Wind Waker has been the same for all the games.  So, you know, it's not like this game will PLAY like ST.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
yeah but I'm trying to have a knee jerk reaction or something to pretend like I have standards for Zelda games

errr...Imean, the only good thing about this is the whip guy from spirit tracks is working on the whip for this game.  The whip was the best part of spirit tracks.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »
can someone link to the q & a?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
yeah but I'm trying to have a knee jerk reaction or something to pretend like I have standards for Zelda games

errr...Imean, the only good thing about this is the whip guy from spirit tracks is working on the whip for this game.  The whip was the best part of spirit tracks.

I reeeeally dug that later item in the game that controlled sand.  I forget what it was called.

Q and A is over btw
püp

Oblivion

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »

dealwithit.gif
hey I like Zeruda as much as the next guy, but jesus IT'S THE SAME FUCKING GAME OVER AND OVER.

But what if they have a new bad guy? :O

depressing that Spirit Tracks staff is working on this

Having lower level code monkeys that happened to work on a terrible game isn't a real concern. They most likely won't have much say in the direction of the game. Remember, the awesome SMG was made by the same guys who did the slightly above average Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

tbh I really don't care about the graphics, it's the game itself. The debut trailer, what was demoed, it all looks really bland and uninspired. I told Himumu this morning, it reminds me of a Rare game nowadays. Link's model as well as the enemies look recycled, the stages look like your typical bullshit (OMG A LAVA LEVEL NO WAI?), it just looks like a really half-assed game.

And can we please grow up and stop doing this "IT'S STILL IN DEVELOPMENT" bullshit? It isn't like Nintendo's marketing department accidentally picks what to show to the entire world when unveiling a game. This is supposed to be representative of the product. This is what is supposed to convince people to bank on them. And personally, I find it very unimpressive.

As I said on GAF, I'd be among the first people that blasts a game, regardless of how little info was revealed, and what footage was displayed, but come the heck on, yo. There was one level shown, and less than 5 minutes of gameplay (all of which was in the same level).

cool breeze

« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-zelda-skyward/101653
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-zelda-skyward/101655
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-zelda-skyward/101657

someone other than old man Miyamoto playing, plus stuff they didn't show on stage

they also said you can turn off the giant hud

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »
Having lower level code monkeys that happened to work on a terrible game isn't a real concern. They most likely won't have much say in the direction of the game. Remember, the awesome SMG was made by the same guys who did the slightly above average Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

FUCK A DUCK

and those gametrailers vids are hooooot
püp

bachikarn

« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
I'd like to see the SMG team do the next console Zelda. Zelda probably feels stale because it seems the same staff works on every single game.

Himu

« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »

This. Pretty much this.

BUT, it was just unveiled so we'll see what's in the next trailer/batch of media. Hopefully it doesn't look nearly as generic.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
Well, the Zeruda games get me on having interesting puzzles and dungeons, while this video showed nothing of the sort. So I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt...

...but honestly, hearing that the Spirit Tracks team is working on this does not bode well. ST was utterly horrible, probably the worst (non CD-I) Zelda.
^_^

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »
But it's the same team regardless of the game.  It's been the same since Wind Waker, more or less.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
its still zelda, but Nintendo manages to do something different with each installment of their core franchises almost every time out

i cannot tell yet what the flavor of this zelda is besides motion+ but history makes me think its just not apparent in the demo

like the return to cell shading

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Well, the Zeruda games get me on having interesting puzzles and dungeons, while this video showed nothing of the sort. So I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt...

...but honestly, hearing that the Spirit Tracks team is working on this does not bode well. ST was utterly horrible, probably the worst (non CD-I) Zelda.
:drudge

Himu

« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »

This is by Spirit Tracks team? No wonder it looks so generic. Spirit Tracks is one of the most lifeless Nintendo games I've ever played.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »

It's the same team as the last 4 Zeldas.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
a lot of overthinking for a demo that is just to show off the controls.  even the trailer was just clip after clip that showed how things would control.  the entire thing at the press conference talked about were the controls.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
I gotta say, that the demo shown didn't exactly have either the scale or the charm i would expect from a next zelda.

It looked a bit bland.

Himu

« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
So we shouldn't expect this game to be challenging whatsoever -- or at the very least, not set to brain dead difficulty -- especially given the inclusion of motion plus then.

Did Nintendo say whether or not this game was a back to basics approach ala game of the generation Super Mario Galaxy?
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
They have said that a few times today, yes.  Just at the recent Q&A, even.
püp

Himu

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
a lot of overthinking for a demo that is just to show off the controls.  even the trailer was just clip after clip that showed how things would control.  the entire thing at the press conference talked about were the controls.

It's a demo just to show the controls, and we also got a trailer. The game is due out next year. This was TP's trailer when it was supposed to be coming out that same year before the major delay. It was also released when the game got its first demo on the floor of E3 2005.

[youtube=560,345]YHu7hvxjdww[/youtube]
Doesn't look lifeless does it?

IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
This is the Spirit Tracks dev team? Where is your God now, Nintards? :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BrandNew, you say "it's the same team since Wind Waker" like that some how clears their name. Every game since Wind Waker has been worse than the last. Try harder.
[close]

EDIT: Man, that TP trailer is way better than I remember it. However, I still can't stand how the character models look in that game. They all look so off.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:05:13 PM by startselect »
SRY

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:26 PM »
Twilight Princess is certainly not worse than Wind Waker.

Himu, you are soooo ready into it way too much.  Try to think of the focus of that conference that year.  What else was Nintendo's big focus that year for GC?  Absolutely fucking nothing.

We know this game is a year away, and the Wii this year has plenty of first party games worth talking about more than Zelda.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:05:12 PM by BrandNew »
püp

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
TP was so damn empty.

Himu

« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
They have said that a few times today, yes.  Just at the recent Q&A, even.

I didn't see any interviews or anything in regards to this Q&A or this game in general.

Have they released interviews? Could you please post them or a bullet list from the Q&A, perhaps?
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2010, 11:06:19 PM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1098500p1.html

edit:  doesn't seem to be there, but the gamespot liveblog spefically mentioned wanting to get back to the roots of the series.  Also, the Iwata Asks video on nintendo's site mentions it as well
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:08:26 PM by BrandNew »
püp

Himu

« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
Thank you. You know, you should have really posted that to begin with instead of arguing with us :lol No all of us have read this shit.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »
ok, I'm confused.  you're upset that they didn't show off a story trailer? or do you think the intention of the trailer they did show was the same as that twilight princess one? the trailer they showed was literally a CG Link using an item followed by a few gameplay clips of that item in use.

Himu

« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »
EDIT: Man, that TP trailer is way better than I remember it. However, I still can't stand how the character models look in that game. They all look so off.

At least Link isn't wearing baggy khaki's.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:09 PM »
startselect (and I guess this goes to anyone too), I'm just curious what type of changes you were expecting for this game? Were you expecting a different story? A different lead villain? A new non-Hyrule locale? (I guess the latter two would fall under story as well). Significantly different gameplay?

Himu

« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
ok, I'm confused.  you're upset that they didn't show off a story trailer? or do you think the intention of the trailer they did show was the same as that twilight princess one? the trailer they showed was literally a CG Link using an item followed by a few gameplay clips of that item in use.

Dude, that trailer was more than just a story trailer. I kinda expect from Nintendo, one of the best developers out there, to provide a great trailer and a great demo for the unveiling of one of their big guns. Especially Zelda. I didn't really get it, and while the new Zelda is settling in, it's still incredibly disappointing. I mean, I'm not expecting a story trailer, but I at least expect to be thrilled or surprised or amazed by the trailer, similarly to how they handled the initial Galaxy trailer.

They're trying to sell me a product here, and while I'm going to buy it anyways, that doesn't mean I can't critique. ESPECIALLY if, as Nintendo says, it's just a year away. Heck, they said prior to E3 we could expect it THIS YEAR. That tells me it's far along, and yet it looks as generic as some random Zelda clone.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
The first SMG trailer was actually kinda shitty, Himu.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »

Himu

« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
startselect (and I guess this goes to anyone too), I'm just curious what type of changes you were expecting for this game? Were you expecting a different story? A different lead villain? A new non-Hyrule locale? (I guess the latter two would fall under story as well). Significantly different gameplay?

I think it's too early to gauge that. We don't know a thing about the structure or flow, or the story. In fact, I'd argue they're doing a good job on that front already given the inclusion of the whip, which has now seemed to replace to the boomerang. My issue is purely a subjective quality issue. Of the footage we have seen, it does not scream ZELDA quality, especially since this is the first time they're revealing the damn thing. Compare to the Twilight Princess demo, which made my dick fall to the floor in awe. My stance of course, could change in the future given new information and media.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
The first SMG trailer was actually kinda shitty, Himu.

This one?

[youtube=560,345]qA0vLrwuQHE[/youtube]

Fuck no.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
No, Himu. That wasn't the first one.

My issue is purely a subjective quality issue. Of the footage we have seen, it does not scream ZELDA quality, especially since this is the first time they're revealing the damn thing. Compare to the Twilight Princess demo, which made my dick fall to the floor in awe. My stance of course, could change in the future given new information and media.

Oh, well if this is what you meant, then hey we're on the same boat. It was a relatively shitty unveiling, and it's clearly still rough around the edges.

cool breeze

« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »

Dude, that trailer was more than just a story trailer. I kinda expect from Nintendo, one of the best developers out there, to provide a great trailer and a great demo for the unveiling of one of their big guns. Especially Zelda. I didn't really get it, and while the new Zelda is settling in, it's still incredibly disappointing. I mean, I'm not expecting a story trailer, but I at least expect to be thrilled or surprised or amazed by the trailer, similarly to how they handled the initial Galaxy trailer.

They're trying to sell me a product here, and while I'm going to buy it anyways, that doesn't mean I can't critique. ESPECIALLY if, as Nintendo says, it's just a year away. Heck, they said prior to E3 we could expect it THIS YEAR. That tells me it's far along, and yet it looks as generic as some random Zelda clone.

I see where you're coming from, but for me, I think they showed of a lot more than I thought they would.  The fact that this is the first reveal and there is was a playable demo just makes me think the way they're rolling it out is different.  Still, I'm comparing it to the first reveal of the last two.

I mean, the first Wind Waker trailer was
[youtube=560,345]aQ7riCXrDxY[/youtube]

the first twilight princess trailer
[youtube=560,345]h73I-S49NFI[/youtube]

no ocean shown in the wind waker one.  things changed in the final game.
no midna or wolf in the twilight princess one.  things changed in the final game.

also, I do wonder when it will actually be out.  Nintendo likes to delay things.  we'll see.

bachikarn

« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
yeah, I agree with Himuro . The Zelda trailer just makes it seem like same old same old, while the initial Mario Galaxy trailers made him seem like it would be a new, unique experience.

Himu

« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
I dunno dude. The unveilings of WW and TP are chock full of personality and charm imo. Different charm, but Zelda charm nonetheless. With Wind Waker, the enemies are animated and cartoony, with their tongues hanging out. With TP's you see horseback fights against a bunch of moblins. That's shit hot.

Looking at a boring beetle, Link rolling on top of a rock, and fighting boring, lifeless enemies that are cel-shaded but lack Wind Waker's charm, is not.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
No, Himu. That wasn't the first one.

Ehhhh still disagree. First Mario Galaxy trailer screams WOW and NEW.

My inner Zelda fanboy tells me the person who made the trailer just sucks at making trailers and that the actual game's content is fuck awesome and not boring as fuck.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »
"Much of the staff of Spirit Tracks is working on Skyward Sword."

:lol Get SantaC up in this shit, it's over

wwwwooooooowwww

:rofl :rofl
Drunk

Oblivion

« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
Well, regardless, I'm hopeful.

Though I'm a tad ambivalent at this bit:

Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

But dungeons ARE fun.  :'(

cool breeze

« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2010, 11:41:45 PM »
I dunno dude. The unveilings of WW and TP are chock full of personality and charm imo. Different charm, but Zelda charm nonetheless. With Wind Waker, the enemies are animated and cartoony, with their tongues hanging out. With TP's you see horseback fights against a bunch of moblins. That's shit hot.

Looking at a boring beetle, Link rolling on top of a rock, and fighting boring, lifeless enemies that are cel-shaded but lack Wind Waker's charm, is not.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you.  All I'm saying is that I don't think that was the purpose of the showing at this E3.  If the next time they show this game doesn't have charm, feel free to tell me I was wrong and all that.

The enemies do look boring but I look at the scorpion boss and think about how his claws go from vertical to horizontal to show off how that works in combat; same with the plant enemies and so on.  I just can't help that a lot of the stuff here is designed to show off the new controls and stuff like that.  It would be really weak if the final game was just a lot more of this.

And a bit more on my problem with the colors specifically.  It looks like it is on a poorly calibrated TV or stuck on the cool setting.  Even just messing with the colors makes it look a bit better.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:44:00 PM by Linkzg »

Himu

« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »
Well, regardless, I'm hopeful.

Though I'm a tad ambivalent at this bit:

Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

But dungeons ARE fun.  :'(

Yeah, I'm still hopeful. I mean, it IS Zelda.

This is what I get from that quote: dungeons are fun, but not the ONLY source of fun in Zelda title's. So it sounds like they're taking a more Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening way of doing things in that it definitely has dungeons but the dungeon count isn't what it's all about, contrast with LTTP, OoT, TP or even the original.

It could mean that the game is still chock full of dungeons and puzzles, but the puzzles likely come from a different source. For example, in Link's Awakening a good amount of the world IS like one big dungeon.

And quotes pre-reveal suggest that is the direction they are heading.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:08 PM »

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you.  All I'm saying is that I don't think that was the purpose of the showing at this E3.  If the next time they show this game doesn't have charm, feel free to tell me I was wrong and all that.

The enemies do look boring but I look at the scorpion boss and think about how his claws go from vertical to horizontal to show off how that works in combat; same with the plant enemies and so on.  I just can't help that a lot of the stuff here is designed to show off the new controls and stuff like that.  It would be really weak if the final game was just a lot more of this.

And a bit more on my problem with the colors specifically.  It looks like it is on a poorly calibrated TV or stuck on the cool setting.  Even just messing with the colors makes it look a bit better.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I'm just miffed that Nintendo seems to think that the controls are what's wrong with Zelda and make that the focus of the unveiling, rather than showing us some good ol' Zelda awesomeness which is what everyone REALLY wants to see from a Zelda demo.

Here's hoping they have something for us to get excited about before the year's end.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:15 AM »