Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917823 times)

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #780 on: June 14, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
How can sans serif not be appropriate when all posts on this forum are in a sans serif font? ???

Not all
QED

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #781 on: June 14, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
what *is* the best anime ost for a wizard funeral? asking for a friend.
duc

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #782 on: June 14, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Deffo gotta be Champloo.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #783 on: June 14, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »
:childplease: you can't front and not whip out the Dune cover.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #784 on: June 14, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
One of the few friends I have is leaving in a week and I'm pretty down.  He also told me today he is getting married.   Dude is going to work at a SF start up for 115k/year and getting married.  I feel like I'm no where in life.   

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #785 on: June 14, 2015, 11:24:09 PM »
Had to come back to the US Consulate General to file additional paperwork. Despite calling to let them know I was on my way, and going through three passport checks during security in the lobby to allow me up to the fourth floor, apparently no-one knew I was coming up.

I wasted 20 minutes before realizing no-one was going to call me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #786 on: June 14, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
Also my farts are nasty today.  So glad I live alone so no one would have to see/smell/hear these things go off.  #dualities

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #787 on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
One of the few friends I have is leaving in a week and I'm pretty down.  He also told me today he is getting married.   Dude is going to work at a SF start up for 115k/year and getting married.  I feel like I'm no where in life.   
To be fair making minimum wage in sf ain't that big a deal
que

Kara

« Reply #788 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:10 PM »
Said Savoy irl when I meant to say Piedmont. :snoop

I have brought dishonor to my gens and all small-r republicans. :stahp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #789 on: June 15, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »
Wanted to get $1000 U.S. changed into yen for my trip to Japan this weekend.

The bank was closed for whatever reason last Saturday.  OK.  My father suggests writing him a check and he'll go down to the bank and do this for me, since the bank closes before I get home from work.

Today I get a text from him asking me to go to the local branch right near my workplace.  He's even called them and they confirmed that they had the the money available.

I go up to a teller and ask about a foreign currency exchange.  "Oh did you call before?"  My father did, yeah.  "Well, we only have one note available."  What do you mean?  "We have a note worth $1000 U.S.  You can just get change at the airport later on."  Uh...OK?  "OK you go over to Kim over there she'll help you out." 

I proceed to stand in another line behind some guy taking the longest amount of time possible to finish whatever he's doing.  I use the time to google that amount of money and it looks like they may have this kind of bill?  Don't ever remember seeing that from my time over there but whatever, sure.

Kim says "You wanted 1000, right?"  Kim then shows me a 1000 yen note.  That's like ten bucks.
:dead

I tell her I wanted $1000 U.S. in yen.  She goes "Oh yeah, we have that" and pulls out....one 10,000 yen note.  That's about $100. 
:dead :dead

So finally I get her to show me all the yen they have.  It's 25,000 yen total which works out to be about $212 U.S.  Not exactly close to what I wanted, but I take it. 

I ask if I can order the rest and am taken over to another banker. 

This was the hottest banker I have ever seen.  Seriously-- she was a stunningly-hot blasian.  Could easily pass for a model. 
 :lucas

Standing next to her is a pretty built male banker who also might be able to be a model.  I started wondering if I was being punked when he pointed at the design on my shirt and told me he wanted to get it tattooed onto his bicep.
 :sabu

That's great and all, but whatever, time is running out on my lunch break.  We go into an office and she calls a currency exchange place.  Turns out I could have called this place on my own.  After waiting and waiting to get through, I tell her I have to go or I'm going to be late.  Just then someone answers.  The guy will only send the money to certain local bank locations near my house or will send it to my house via fedex....and it has to be signed for.  Nobody is gonna be home.

So fuck it; I'll either have to pay ridiculous airport currency exchange prices or hope that my ATM card still works at Japanese post office ATMs.  Looks like it still should but I can't remember if they have ATMs open on weekends.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:58:58 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Kara

« Reply #790 on: June 15, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »
Get an Amex breh.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #791 on: June 15, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
Get an Amex breh.

Have one.  Heard the exchange rates are better at the bank.
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #792 on: June 15, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Sick.  Might be strep :( 

Beezy

« Reply #793 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
This was the hottest banker I have ever seen.  Seriously-- she was a stunningly-hot blasian.  Could easily pass for a model. 
 :lucas
:hyper

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »
There is a blond girl with two Golden retrievers that smiles at me every time we see each other.  Sometimes I fantasize that she doesn't just smile at every other dog owner.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #795 on: June 15, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »
Why not go to a bank in Japan, and hand them USA cash? The rates have been better in Japan, in my experience. Also consistently less hassle.

Get an Amex breh.
It's accepted in very few establishments in Japan.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »
Ordered some wings and a few still have hair on them :yuck

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #797 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
Why not go to a bank in Japan, and hand them USA cash? The rates have been better in Japan, in my experience. Also consistently less hassle.

Might do that too, although I'd prefer to have the yen all ready to go before I get there.  Plus we're arriving on the weekend...are the banks open for that?  We're staying at a Super Hotel.  I need to check and see if they exchange money there.

Get an Amex breh.

Surprisingly more places than you would think, though.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #798 on: June 16, 2015, 09:59:45 PM »
A month ago, all my unused HDD space disappeared on both of my main machines, an older iMac and a MacBook Air with limited SSD space.

Finally found what happened: Apple changed from supporting iPhoto to their new Photos app, and in doing so, duplicated the entire goddamned Library, so I've got two 50GB photo collections.

Really, Apple? If you come up with a variant on iTunes, are you going to dupe my entire fucking music collection, too? :maf

Rahxephon91

« Reply #799 on: June 18, 2015, 01:59:24 AM »
I bought some shure e215 earbuds, because the reviews were good. I just did'nt want to buy the beats, because I feel like it's just brandname. Of course the shure's have a really unorthodox way of putting them in your ear. So at first it was annoying and a struggle to just wear them. I got use to them and I felt they sounded good. Now they've begun to fall apart with the left bud not even working. This is all thanks to maybe my small ears, but really thanks to the fact that you have to bend the cord to hook them around your ears. Guess where they are falling apart? Near where the buds, where you bend them. These cost a $100, so I thought as good entry level expensive earbuds they'd you know last more then 3 months. Nope....

Of course had I god when ear buds that you just place in your ear like the beats, like a normal person I would'nt be out $100.

Great.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #800 on: June 18, 2015, 02:03:42 AM »
I bought some shure e215 earbuds, because the reviews were good. I just did'nt want to buy the beats, because I feel like it's just brandname. Of course the shure's have a really unorthodox way of putting them in your ear. So at first it was annoying and a struggle to just wear them. I got use to them and I felt they sounded good. Now they've begun to fall apart with the left bud not even working. This is all thanks to maybe my small ears, but really thanks to the fact that you have to bend the cord to hook them around your ears. Guess where they are falling apart? Near where the buds, where you bend them. These cost a $100, so I thought as good entry level expensive earbuds they'd you know last more then 3 months. Nope....

Of course had I god when ear buds that you just place in your ear like the beats, like a normal person I would'nt be out $100.

Great.

http://www.shure.com/americas/legal/warranty
Every Shure® product comes with a Limited Warranty that in normal use the product will be free of any defects in materials or workmanship for a period of one or two years from its original date of purchase. However, this is not intended as a complete statement of the actual Limited Warranty applicable to any product. The Limited Warranty includes other important terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions. For the actual Limited Warranty applicable to any product, please refer to the warranty card issued by Shure and packaged with the product, or contact Shure Incorporated or its authorized retailer.*
You're covered. Or, rather, I assume you're covered if you've had them for less than three months, which is definitely less than one year.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #801 on: June 18, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »
If I could a proof of purchase like a receipt then sure, but I can't. I sent them an email and maybe there's a way for guitar center to look up pruchases if done through debit card. I don't know.

In the end I'll probably just buy some bose or beats headphones and be done with it. I was going to buy a bike for summer, but I guess I don't need a bike. I need headphones though.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #802 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:00 AM »
A month ago, all my unused HDD space disappeared on both of my main machines, an older iMac and a MacBook Air with limited SSD space.

Finally found what happened: Apple changed from supporting iPhoto to their new Photos app, and in doing so, duplicated the entire goddamned Library, so I've got two 50GB photo collections.

Really, Apple? If you come up with a variant on iTunes, are you going to dupe my entire fucking music collection, too? :maf

i love how the 'feature' that dupes music to the iTunes folder used to be enabled by default so literally every luddite with a mac had a duped music collection lol.

bose or beats headphones and be done with it.

:stahp

pls buy these, you will not regret http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-E10S-Earphone-Black-Gunmetal/dp/B00LBZSV7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434607649&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+e10s
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #803 on: June 18, 2015, 02:18:11 AM »

i love how the 'feature' that dupes music to the iTunes folder used to be enabled by default so literally every luddite with a mac had a duped music collection lol.

bose or beats headphones and be done with it.

:stahp

pls buy these, you will not regret http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-E10S-Earphone-Black-Gunmetal/dp/B00LBZSV7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434607649&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+e10s
These are good? At only $41 maybe..

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #804 on: June 18, 2015, 02:20:19 AM »
dont just take my word for it! but yeah, solid plugs for sure. i have a habit of losing plugs every now and again so i dont go to fancy. these are great, best ive had.

https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=soundmagic%20e10s%20reviews
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #805 on: June 18, 2015, 03:08:08 AM »
Worked a night shift on Monday and was expected to all week, instead had to be rescheduled yesterday morning and for today afternoon. Really messing with my sleep cycle...
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #806 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »
Speaking of earbuds, I bought a pair that has the replaceable rubber inserts. Trouble is, I'm always losing those inserts. So, quite often I have to shove them in my ear without them (until I steal them off an old pair) or I can only put one earbud in.

I've contemplated just super gluing those bastards on.

Kara

« Reply #807 on: June 18, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »
On the bright side, at least you don't use ear buds. :larry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Use this as an excuse to start getting up at a grown up time every morning. :)
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #808 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Eine Schone Oh Goddamnit!
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #809 on: June 18, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »
FUCCCCCKK a paper came out 2 weeks ago that does EXACTLY what I wanted to do for my Ph.D.  FUCK  :(

I'm to dumb to think of novel shit.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #810 on: June 18, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »

Might do that too, although I'd prefer to have the yen all ready to go before I get there.  Plus we're arriving on the weekend...are the banks open for that?  We're staying at a Super Hotel.  I need to check and see if they exchange money there.

Get an Amex breh.

Surprisingly more places than you would think, though.
Many hotels exchange money at a slightly less favorable rate than a Japanese bank, but it's also faster than the bank route.

/My/ bank here is open from 9AM to 3PM on Saturday, and closed-as-hell on a Sunday despite having no religious foundation for the rule.

studyguy

« Reply #811 on: June 18, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
I have to drive out to LAX before my week long vacation to Cancun  :-\
pause

Kara

« Reply #812 on: June 19, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
absentmindedly got a paper cut, didn't notice, and bled all over some documents :goty

OK Dr. Faust.

Kara

« Reply #813 on: June 19, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Someone wrote me a note with a nonstandard cursive capital F. :iface

At least Billy Madison didn't know what a Z was. :idont

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #814 on: June 19, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
fuck. think i got talked into going to a ska concert tonight with a tinderella
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #815 on: June 19, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
Managed to avoid the ska concert. But now I'm back home at 930 drinking by myself. So I'll call it a draw
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #816 on: June 19, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »

What would have been bad about that?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #817 on: June 21, 2015, 03:44:27 AM »
I was outside smoking a few minutes ago, and I heard something by the stairs, so I stomped to scare it away, and a skunk emerged from beneath the porch

Friends, you do not know fear until you stare down the barrel of a skunks asshole

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #818 on: June 21, 2015, 03:46:46 AM »
Someone I know posted this shit on facebook

L

He'd fit right in on GAF.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #819 on: June 21, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »

L

"Backward."

"Unfair."

Welcome to the fucking world. It's inherently unfair. All of it.

He's not entitled to any portion of someone else's life. He'll have to earn it.

Love yourself, even a little, just a tiny portion of yourself, and others will flock to that. Hate yourself, be desperate, and they'll sense that instead. So focus on the positive.

Kara

« Reply #820 on: June 21, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »

L

Time to kill the use of "female": 31 seconds. :quark

e: ur not my dad chrono

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #821 on: June 21, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »
girlfriend is on her period and I have never had sex while a girl was on her period  :busta

was a struggle to keep it hard honestly.  I'll need to get used to it I suppose
püp

Kara

« Reply #822 on: June 21, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
girlfriend is on her period and I have never had sex while a girl was on her period  :busta

:mindblown

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #823 on: June 21, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
Blood for the Blood God.

:cody

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #824 on: June 21, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »
Does it bother your mouth though?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #825 on: June 21, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
I'd eat out a period pussy. Shit don't bother my ass.

That's where I draw the line on eating pussy. Under any other circumstance I will, no doubt. :phil

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #826 on: June 21, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
Someone never took a blood borne pathogens training course

Kara

« Reply #827 on: June 21, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Someone never took a blood borne pathogens training course

I don't have a PlayStation 4, sorry.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #828 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »

L

Time to kill the use of "female": 31 seconds. :quark

e: ur not my dad chrono

I almost called out his use of "female," which was more worrying than his self-victimization to me.

I'm OK with not being your dad; it probably means you're capable of enjoying my presence.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #829 on: June 21, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »
Besides the fact that he made an 18 minute video and posted on a public forum, the thing that makes me mad about it is how he just straight up pauses and sips from his fucking soda mid sentence. His spirit is weak. He shouldn't have lived this long.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #830 on: June 21, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
Take heart. He will not survive the winter.  :win

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #831 on: June 21, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Dude repeats his thought like every other sentence.  And when he's not doing that he uses 'Know what I mean'. 

'That's the garbage truck.  That's the garbage truck.  You know it's garbage day.'  For fuck sakes.  This dude is stupid. 

Kara

« Reply #832 on: June 21, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
Besides the fact that he made an 18 minute video and posted on a public forum, the thing that makes me mad about it is how he just straight up pauses and sips from his fucking soda mid sentence. His spirit is weak. He shouldn't have lived this long.

I interpreted that gesture as a theatrical display that his thirst was in fact real.

SMH it's like none of you studied the great dramaturges.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #833 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »
Brand new MacBook Pro still beachballs endlessly, but only on one page: Facebook.

It's like the world is telling me to get to fucking work or something.  :-\

Kara

« Reply #834 on: June 21, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Blessed be the Right Man, who in his unfathomable torpidness forces the sinister ones to be ambidextrous. :preach

bluemax

« Reply #835 on: June 21, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »

NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #836 on: June 21, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »

Is it OK to still like Fishbone?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #837 on: June 21, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
Got into a stupid semantics argument with Brian Wood on Twitter. Dude seems kinda defensive.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #838 on: June 21, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Got into a stupid semantics argument with Brian Wood on Twitter. Dude seems kinda defensive.

Who dat?

Comics writer; was a comics artist, and before that an illustrator. He has turned out some good work. He also did the character designs and type work for GTA III.

Kara

« Reply #839 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »
tell him DMZ sucks

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had a DMZ avatar on GAF forever. :-[
[close]