Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917818 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #1980 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
Having my first serious issue with the Mail company.

I ordered my new mobile phone 10 days ago. On the first of March I get a notification in my mailbox that they tried to deliver the package. I go to the site and ask for it to be delivered to the Post Office for later retrieval, starting the next day at 15h. So far so good.

Package not there on the 2nd. Not there on the 4th either at which point I am told I should contact customer support, which I do. The hotline takes my request and inform me that their response will be forthcoming in 2 to 5 working days.

On Saturday 5th I finally receive an email saying the package has been delivered at the office I requested, but I can't go in there before closing time. However this morning the customer support also mails me to say they were unable to locate my package (which has a tracking number BTW). I suppose they tried to locate it before Saturday's mail and go to the Post Office. Which tells me packages haven't been sorted yet and that they are unable to tell whether or not they have it. So I had to leave my phone number for later.

I'm a patient guy but it is starting to rile me up good. I wouldn't mind the delay if they didn't lead me to believe the thing would be put at the office the next day. Might be unfair to French Mail (though the mailmen have a serious tendency to not really check if you're there for deliveries or letters requiring a signature), but I'm a bit lost at the weird chronology of events.

I'm a bit worried to be honest, parcel went missing for 4 days and it's still unclear whether my Post Office do indeed have it. I'd prefer not having to go through hoops to explain the situation to my mobile carrier who sold me the phone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:11:15 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1981 on: March 08, 2016, 04:47:50 AM »
Package lost or stolen despite being marked as available at the post office. Informed my mobile carrier, so now a further ten days delay before things will move on.
ὕβρις

archie4208

« Reply #1982 on: March 09, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
My computer parts came today.

Except for the RAM.   :fbm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1983 on: March 09, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
To maintain development suite parity with partners, I've signed up for Adobe's Creative Cloud. I'll be doing the same for Maya as soon as my trial period runs out. Yay, monthly software rental.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1984 on: March 09, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
My computer parts came today.

Except for the RAM.   :fbm

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1985 on: March 09, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »
Star Wars REBELS is being aired on standard TV in Japan, but only with Japanese voices and Japanese closed-captions.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1986 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
I have an iPhone 6 and it just started overheating and draining battery fast. All I could find in my lazy search as a solution was "try turning it off then on again" which I've yet to try but will now. Any of you deal with this before?

All the apple store will do is reset it back to factory settings and see if it was software related. If it's hardware, they will probably off to replace it for $300 unless you have applecare.
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1987 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
I have an iPhone 6 and it just started overheating and draining battery fast. All I could find in my lazy search as a solution was "try turning it off then on again" which I've yet to try but will now. Any of you deal with this before?
If it's less than a year old, they'll replace it for free. If it's more than a year old, they'll charge you an outrageous "set price" to give you a replacement, somewhere between 60-70% of original retail price for your unit. If that's the case, have a third-party place fix it, but backup-and-wipe it before you hand it over to anyone you don't know.

My iPhone 5 recently appeared to be coming out of its bevel, turned out to be a "swollen" battery. Replaced it for $80 parts and labor. I was happy not to pay ¥50,000 or whatever Apple would have charged me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1988 on: March 10, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Spent two hours the other day trying to fix/understand why "Object > Convert to Shape" in Illustrator was no longer changing my text to vector art. Couldn't get useful information even with exact error message search inclusion (this should have been a clue). Finally realized it's "Text > Create Outlines."

The worst part is I know I'll forget again if I don't work in Illustrator for a month.

:fbm

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1989 on: March 11, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
If it's less than a year old, they'll replace it for free. If it's more than a year old, they'll charge you an outrageous "set price" to give you a replacement, somewhere between 60-70% of original retail price for your unit. If that's the case, have a third-party place fix it, but backup-and-wipe it before you hand it over to anyone you don't know.

My iPhone 5 recently appeared to be coming out of its bevel, turned out to be a "swollen" battery. Replaced it for $80 parts and labor. I was happy not to pay ¥50,000 or whatever Apple would have charged me.

My iPhone 5 did the same thing, luckily my brother in law worked at a phone dealership and was able to replace the battery for me for free.
WDW

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1990 on: March 15, 2016, 04:02:24 AM »
Locked myself out with no wallet

Thank god I had my metro card and can take baby to daycare and make it to work

Was supposed to cycle though grrr

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1991 on: March 15, 2016, 05:49:54 AM »
My package still MIA :dead

Will probably end up commanding a beefier phone in case everything is resolved to my profit.
ὕβρις

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1992 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
I ordered some slightly discounted vape stuff exactly a month ago, I should have been suspicious when the delivery was free and it said 10-25 business days to deliver. Currently, they have the package sitting in a container in Sweden.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1993 on: March 15, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »
Locked myself out with no wallet

Thank god I had my metro card and can take baby to daycare and make it to work

Was supposed to cycle though grrr

Not enough credit on card tp travel back home, i mean there is enough credit for a ticket but still it says topup

Cant topup cause wallet is at home

Hope i dont get caught

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1994 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »
4 more stops hnnngggg

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1995 on: March 15, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
4 more stops hnnngggg

Twitter is really the right venue for this.

Tumblr if you have pics, yo.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #1996 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
Maybe start a blog.
brb

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1997 on: March 17, 2016, 05:56:40 AM »
4 more stops hnnngggg

I don't have any social media bruv

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1998 on: March 17, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »
4 more stops hnnngggg

This board is slow enough without post policing, Dad

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1999 on: March 19, 2016, 12:56:34 AM »
4 more stops hnnngggg

This board is slow enough without post policing, Dad

Honestly, I was just joking. I love that Lager lets me give him shit and never seems to take offense. I would swap spit with Lager.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2000 on: March 21, 2016, 04:10:57 AM »
Oh that stereo type doesn't smell like cologne. :doge
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2001 on: March 21, 2016, 04:27:24 AM »
College in the 10s? Man, how young do you think I am? I'm way too old for that.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:brazilcry
[close]
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2002 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Jetlag is kicking my ass. Been up since 3am. Decided at 6am that Singapore would be awake enough for me to get some breakfast.
Apparently not. The only thing open were 7-11s and a McDonalds. It's a special kind of pathetic to be eating a sausage wrap in a McDonalds all by yourself at 6am in Singapore.  :goty
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2003 on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »
Jetlag is kicking my ass. Been up since 3am. Decided at 6am that Singapore would be awake enough for me to get some breakfast.
Apparently not. The only thing open were 7-11s and a McDonalds. It's a special kind of pathetic to be eating a sausage wrap in a McDonalds all by yourself at 6am in Singapore.  :goty

Just make sure to clean up after yourself, 'cos littering will get you caned.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2004 on: March 24, 2016, 02:11:25 AM »
I've only been getting four hours of sleep lately, even though I have enough time for a healthy eight. Seems my schedule is finally starting to catch up with me.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2005 on: March 24, 2016, 03:36:28 AM »
My sleep schedule is perpetually fucked because of my job's weird "feast and famine" workload cycles.

I'm typing this around 3:30 am on my phone because I'm wide awake right now.

God, I can't wait to gtfo of this shit.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2006 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
Still waiting news from my carrier about my never received phone. Also never received my annual transportation pass (will have to go make it directly at an office of the company), starting to think there's some indelicacies going on with my mail.

Also having fun with the maintenance of my gas boiler. We rent an apartment, and we're supposed to do a yearly maintenance on that. So far, so good. Just as a little bit of context, gas distribution in France is mostly handed by the former public monopoly that has been privatized a few years ago. All maintenance stuff is handled by a subsidiary. So we took a monthly fee that includes yearly check ups and emergency repairs. Contract was to be sent by email and filled to hand over to the technician.

Mid February, appointment planned, half a day to block for me : never got the contract, never saw the technician.

End of february : Technician came, but never got the contract. So technician can do nothing. He bitches a lot about how incompetent his handlers are. Tells me I'll be called back for a new appointment. Never was.

Today : I ask to be called back (because for some reason you can't phone in directly). Never was called back.

Efficiency at work : wasting three days for a guy to come, watch my boiler 5 minutes and tell me it's OK.
ὕβρις

archie4208

« Reply #2007 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:23 PM »
I bought GTA 5 off Steam and can't download it for a week when my bandwidth cap resets.  :fbm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2008 on: March 25, 2016, 07:51:32 PM »
I bought GTA 5 off Steam and can't download it for a week when my bandwidth cap resets.  :fbm

What kind of dystopia do you live in, where the internet has a usage cap?

Oh, are you in one of the areas where Comcast was "testing" this plan?

archie4208

« Reply #2009 on: March 25, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »
Mediacom:  Comcast's redneck little brother.

I usually only use about half my bandwidth cap for the month (350gb) but since I built my PC I had to reinstall all my games and I bought The Witcher 3 so I'm right at the cap lol.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:22:37 PM by archie4208 »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2010 on: March 26, 2016, 02:16:42 AM »
Had a surgery to fix my deviated septum this morning and so now I'm menstruating from my nose until tomorrow hopefully. Also popping a couple percocets every 4 hours, kind of nice. Basically exactly as I was told the first 48 hours of the procedure would be tho.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2011 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
Congrats on becoming a young women.  Stick a tampon up there and I'll take you to pizza hut to have the talk.  Like my mother did for me. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2012 on: March 26, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »
Aww that's so sweet. My virginal nose can only handle maxis tho. :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2013 on: March 26, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
Aren't you stuffed full of gauze at this point? I had that surgery, and the amount of gauze up my schnoz was stunning. I was packed tighter than J-Lo's yoga pants.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2014 on: March 26, 2016, 03:39:03 PM »
Yup. I pretty much had to change the gauze every couple hours yesterday but now the bleeding has nearly stopped. Very chill recovery time.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2015 on: March 26, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
I hope you get to pull a gigantic blood clot out of your nose. I hear that genuinely feels great.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2016 on: March 26, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
Yup. I pretty much had to change the gauze every couple hours yesterday but now the bleeding has nearly stopped. Very chill recovery time.

Changing gauze? When I did mine, they left it in for a week or more. When they finally started pulling the gauze out, it felt like my brain was unraveling and I went into mild shock.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2017 on: March 26, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
I have some hollow splints inside that may be stuffed with gauze but I can still sort of breathe through my nose so I dunno about internal gauze. The outside, under my nostrils, has gauze I have to change a few times a day now as blood slowly drips out of my nose. I feel like it's starting to scab up on the inside now as its a lot less bleedy than before.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2018 on: March 26, 2016, 08:39:07 PM »
I have some hollow splints inside that may be stuffed with gauze but I can still sort of breathe through my nose so I dunno about internal gauze. The outside, under my nostrils, has gauze I have to change a few times a day now as blood slowly drips out of my nose. I feel like it's starting to scab up on the inside now as its a lot less bleedy than before.
That sounds miserable.

If you can breath through your nose at all, you're on a different program than I was. I think I didn't have splints. So hopefully your removal process is less traumatic.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2019 on: March 26, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
It's really not that bad. Surgery was hella quick and I'm ready to go back into the real world. I just don't want to do that until the bandages go off and swelling goes down.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2020 on: March 27, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
Picked up Duet, an app which turns an iPad into an extra screen for my MacBook. Really easy to setup, but Unity crashes brutally if I try and actually use it. Everything else works out stunningly well, except for the one thing I wanted it to do.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2021 on: March 27, 2016, 06:55:37 AM »
Helping someone write down something in english at work:
Her: "B or P?"
Me: "P as in Pokemon"
*Instant shame*
:rofl

Tasty

« Reply #2022 on: March 27, 2016, 12:16:05 PM »
:obama

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2023 on: March 27, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
Maybe the mullahs were right. Western ideology corrupts.
 :goty

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2024 on: March 27, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »
But Pokemon is from glorious Nippon. So technically it isn't Western. :expert

Tasty

« Reply #2025 on: March 27, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
Wrath, did you pronounce is the correct way too? (Poe-kay-mon.) :expert

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2026 on: March 28, 2016, 10:06:06 AM »

I usually only use about half my bandwidth cap for the month (350gb) but since I built my PC I had to reinstall all my games and I bought The Witcher 3 so I'm right at the cap lol.

Pro tip: Copy the steam directory from your old hard drive to your new hard drive, install steam to that path, no need to re download anything. If any game won't launch after you do this, right click on the game and go to properties and verify the game cache. It will work after that. Saves a shitload of time.
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #2027 on: March 28, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
Wrath, did you pronounce is the correct way too? (Poe-kay-mon.) :expert

Poe-Key-Mon because I'm american :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2028 on: March 28, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
Nami kept me up most of the night cause she was scared of the thunderstorm :(

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2029 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »
Weighed in at 200 lbs this morning. :gaben

Just to give some context, my normal weight is usually around 180 lbs to 175 lbs.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2030 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
Fat or muscle?  If its fat be careful with that.  Getting fat was easily the worst thin I've ever done in life.  Other than the murders.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2031 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »
I'm hungry but I don't feel like leaving. It's a shitty ohio day 40 degrees and side rain.
YMMV

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2032 on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
Weighing in at an all-time low over here. I look amazing naked and those gaunt cheekbones are lit.  :lawd

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2033 on: March 28, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »

Just to give some context, my normal weight is usually around 180 lbs to 175 lbs.

200 lbs sounds good for a 6 foot tall weightlifter

instead you're a sedentary 5 foot tall bald ex-christian

you're slowly turning into george constanza breh
5' 11"

But otherwise, yes.  :(

Fat or muscle?  If its fat be careful with that.  Getting fat was easily the worst thin I've ever done in life.  Other than the murders.
Fat.

The heaviest I've ever been was 240 lbs. That was shortly after I got kicked out of BJU.

But yes, it does suck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:48:22 PM by Pallando »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2034 on: March 28, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
Saw a really obnoxious man trying to get a dogs attention today as it walked (then had to be pulled) by its owner who was trying to ignore the man.  I didn't say anything and I'm still pissed with myself. 

If I was a real man like Am or Drinky, I would have gotten the man to stop, or be hit in the head with a crowbar. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2035 on: March 28, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Am?  Like Am Nintenho?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2036 on: March 28, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »
Somehow, he knows I haven't shaved my butt in a month. :-*

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2037 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
I use to nair my ass.  Back when I had two assholes.  True story. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2038 on: March 28, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
No problem with the cheeks but the crack??? :kobeyuck
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2039 on: March 28, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »

On the bright side, you will soon be able send nudes to demi for favors on the forum.

Just out of curiosity, is it an opt-in plan, or was the limit strapped on after the fact?