Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917825 times)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #2220 on: April 20, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
I'm about to head to bed but I'll seriously consider implementing your recommendations.

I'll try to meet with my boss as soon as he has a gap in his schedule but my creative director is really the person I answer to/dictates my schedule.

I don't really care if I end up getting fired now. I got kicked out of BJU and I recovered from that, so this shit should be no different.

If anything, staying at this job is more of a detriment than a benefit to my success in life.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:19:56 AM by Pallando »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2221 on: April 21, 2016, 12:33:02 AM »
I'm about to head to bed but I'll seriously consider implementing your recommendations.

I'll try to meet with my boss as soon as he has a gap in his schedule but my creative director is really the person I answer to/dictates my schedule.

I don't really care if I end up getting fired now. I got kicked out of BJU and I recovered from that, so this shit should be no different.

If anything, staying at this job is more of a detriment than a benefit to my success in life.
The CD isn't going to be empowered to offer you a raise, and is clearly not interested in setting a reasonable schedule for you. Talking to the boss, it gives them the opportunity for the company to take corrective measures before you start singing "Happy Trails to You." If your shop is already overworked and has an employee retention problem, you may have more negotiating ability than you've suspected.

But I'm recalling that you're targeting doing private design work for your own clients on weekends, and this tomfoolery with scheduling is impacting your ability to manage your own efforts to get ahead professionally.

bluemax

« Reply #2222 on: April 21, 2016, 01:08:19 AM »
Is there such a thing as a job with a predictable schedule now-a-days?

I'm in desperate need of finding one that does.

I keep on telling my creative director I'm fine with working 10 hour days from Monday to Thursday because that's when I'm the most mentally prepped to tackle a shit load of work.

Instead I'm getting slammed with shit on Friday and expecting it all to be done on Monday.

And then people wonder I am such a wreck when I come in Monday.

Uh... I dunno? I guess it's because I didn't get to rest on the FUCKING WEEKEND like everybody else!
Stop delivering man!
Someone comes back and says "I need this by monday!" On a friday then your reply should be "K, you'll have it by then, but I wont be in on Monday/Tuesday".
If they don't like it, then you should reply that they should have told you earlier or wait until it can be done at a reasonable hour. Honestly, you teach your employer how to treat you.  I get emails with stupid questions on the weekend, even if I know the answer I wont reply until Monday because I find you answer one thing on the weekend you'll spend the whole weekend doing work.

Yeah, I always make it a point to make sure it takes as long as possible before anyone at work has my personal phone number (especially producers), and I go as long as possible (or just refuse) to check work email on my person devices. And fuck no I will not be installing Slack on my phone.

And always demand comp time if you aren't getting over time pay. At one job I had the dude I sat next to made sure to document all his comp time and took like multiple week+ long vacations a year because of it. He was one of the few people there who wasn't constantly burned out.

The CD isn't going to be empowered to offer you a raise, and is clearly not interested in setting a reasonable schedule for you. Talking to the boss, it gives them the opportunity for the company to take corrective measures before you start singing "Happy Trails to You." If your shop is already overworked and has an employee retention problem, you may have more negotiating ability than you've suspected.

But I'm recalling that you're targeting doing private design work for your own clients on weekends, and this tomfoolery with scheduling is impacting your ability to manage your own efforts to get ahead professionally.

My experience with places that are willing to abuse you like what Pallando is describing won't even bother with negotiating most of the time, because if they could afford to pay people what they were worth they wouldn't be in situations where they had to work people to death to deliver. Every time I talk to people I worked with who still work at these places its the same complaints about not feeling appreciated and not being paid what they're worth but they never put in the effort to find somewhere better.
NO

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2223 on: April 21, 2016, 07:18:23 PM »
Altra no offense but you are hogging the minor inconvenience thread with your actual struggles
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2224 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Like I just was on a plane ride with a bunch of first time flyers who screamed on take off and clapped when we landed. Unbearable
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2225 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »
Like I just was on a plane ride with a bunch of first time flyers who screamed on take off and clapped when we landed. Unbearable

:rofl

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2226 on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:11 PM »
Spent 5 hours writing a program for something that would have taken 2 hours just to do by hand. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2227 on: April 22, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
My Nexus 6 and my experience with Android over the last 18 months has been absolute shit.  I got an update last night and it broke my fucking Bluetooth functionality.  It won't connect to anything since the update.  Every time I get an update something new breaks.

What a fucking piece of junk.  I guess since Windows Phone is essentially dead I'll reluctantly jump in the arms of Apple.  This is a plebe tier garbage OS.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2228 on: April 22, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
Today I was part of a kickoff lunch for a mentoring program with young new hires at my company.  My God, it was like having lunch with NeoGAF and Reddit.  Every millennial stereotype was present.  I "volunteered" to be in this project and I regret it already.  Can't wait to get told by a 23 year old how s/he will shake up the business despite knowing nothing about it.
🍆🍆

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2229 on: April 22, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
"Oh. So you think you're going to bring some real change to this place, huh?
Well, I hope you invested in some sturdy kneepads."

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:hitler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2230 on: April 22, 2016, 10:43:04 PM »
Don't you do contract work?  That's basically mental prostitution.  Whore. 

Tasty

« Reply #2231 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »
Went to a club last night and my vocal chords have been feeling like bloody murder all day today. Thankfully at PAX you don't really have to talk too much.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2232 on: April 22, 2016, 10:48:14 PM »
Today I was part of a kickoff lunch for a mentoring program with young new hires at my company.  My God, it was like having lunch with NeoGAF and Reddit.  Every millennial stereotype was present.  I "volunteered" to be in this project and I regret it already.  Can't wait to get told by a 23 year old how s/he will shake up the business despite knowing nothing about it.
volunteering at work :ufup
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2233 on: April 26, 2016, 06:02:02 PM »
When a girl you went to high school with likes 15 of your statuses within 5 minutes  :holeup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2234 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
That belongs in the triumph thread under the three some section

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2235 on: April 26, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »
Went to the grocery store and bent over to pick up something and I overheard a latina tell her friend that I had a nice ass  :jawalrus
But when she did she referred to me as "That baldie" :tocry
que

Tasty

« Reply #2236 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
I posted a Facebook status about how the electoral math was looking pretty grim for Bernie, and now it seems that I'm hosting a pretty vitriolic argument on my page between a few Bernie supporters and some of my other friends. My phone buzzes every other minute or so.

Screencaps plz :lawd

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2237 on: April 27, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
I had to deal with a True Bernliever at work yesterday, but I was able to quickly disengage. I kind of wonder if his outlook has changed any after last night.
WDW

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2238 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
Shit's embarrassing. :snoop

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2239 on: April 27, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
Still be facebooking status reports in 2016 brehs....fucking shut ins  :neogaf :holeup
YMMV

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2240 on: April 27, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
Installed an app on my phone to tell me every morning how many days I have left to live as a way to motivate myself (assuming I reach 100 y/o).

Currently at 27,078.  :shaq2

I really need to get cracking on some shit.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2241 on: April 27, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
I posted a Facebook status about how the electoral math was looking pretty grim for Bernie, and now it seems that I'm hosting a pretty vitriolic argument on my page between a few Bernie supporters and some of my other friends. My phone buzzes every other minute or so.

This type of fearlessness is why I'm glad you'll be shaping American domestic policy to some degree one day
:lawd

leadership  :american

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2242 on: April 27, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
I don't get involved in political shit, but I have a lot of hardcore Bernie stans in my Facebook feed and watching them experience each stage of grief has been highly enjoyable.  The dream is dying. :aah

Looks like they're transition from the denial phase to anger. American has "denied" Bernie his presidency. :sabu Lots of vows to not vote for Hilary too. "Bernie or Bust", as they say.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2243 on: April 27, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
https://www.change.org/p/entire-us-population-if-sanders-is-denied-the-presidency-we-as-a-nation-must-rise-up-and-open-revolution

Due to the obvious farce of Democracy that is Our Presidential Election, We have come to the undeniable conclusion that the Will of the People is no longer the driving force of the American Government. With the rampant voter suppression, fraud, and blatant disregard of their voters, BOTH the Republican and Democratic Party serve not the people of this Country, as they have sworn to do, but the Rich and Powerful. This leaves the American Citizens no choice but to engage in Open Revolt against the tyrannical oppression that has taken shape in the form of Citizens United, The Republican Party, The Democratic Party, Congress, the Supreme Court, President, and the ruling Oligarchy of Corporations and the unassailable Wealthy killing Our beloved freedoms and Civil Rights.

We have come to this realization and decision as a Last Resort, the question of whether Our Democracy is corrupt is no longer debatable. The Media ignores these treasonous acts at the behest of the Corporate Owners they themselves are beholden to. The reason for this decision is not because these acts have occurred, but because the confession of their occurrence does not alter the outcome of the Elections! Arizona will not see a revote, even though the Secretary of State CONFIRMED the widespread Voter Suppression and Party Purges. Will NY see a revote even though 162,000 voters were purged from ONE district and the firing of a BOE clerk has confirmed this, NO! In addition on the Democratic Primary side, there are many other reports of fraudulent ballot counting, voter purges, and voter suppression throughout NY and the entire Country as a whole! On the GOP side, whether you agree with Trump or no, the voters of the Republican Party have, without a shadow of doubt decided he should be the Republican Nominee; however, as of today (04/25/2016), we have learned that the RNC will most likely NOT allow him to become the Nominee. The Two Party System has shackled the American Political Process, and in doing so created a system that is a mockery of what Our Founding Fathers fought and died for. I do not think that ANY American could deny that if Our Founding Fathers were still alive, they would support this very revolt fighting for the very Democracy they once so ardently fought and bled for.

In conclusion, as a true American Patriot and Citizen, I believe the 2016 Presidential Elections have certified the fact that our Democracy is Dead. We have an irrevocable choice before Us, We can either continue to be oppressed and allow Senator Sanders Political Revolution to be quelled, dismissed, and illegally destroyed, or We can rise up and DEMAND Our Country back. Quoting Abraham Lincoln, "Government For the People, By the People, and Of the People shall not perish from this Earth"; however to Our shame, We have allowed it to perish from the once Great Nation that was The United States of America and it is apparent that the Powers that Be will not surrender it back willingly. I encourage all of Our Brothers and Sisters, of All race, creed, religion, and sexual orientation to Stand Together as One Voice, and although I desire nothing more than this revolution to be completely Non-Violent and Peaceful, should it come to an Open Revolution in the Streets, We believe that Democracy MUST be preserved and We ARE willing to lay down our most precious sacrifice that is Our Lives to ensure it to Ourselves and Our Posterity.

:neogaf :neogaf :neogaf

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2244 on: April 27, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
As a somewhat mild Bernie fan (not stan) I'm voting for Hillary because I for one will not allow a dumpster fire or a fascist orange take the highest office in this country.  :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2245 on: April 27, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
Jesus Christ. People turn into fucking children during election season. I'm disappointed that Bernie fans turned into PaulFeggits 2.0.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2246 on: April 27, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
A vote to keep things the same rather than burn everything down, is a vote that I'm not happy to make but a vote I'll be OK in making.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2247 on: April 27, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
I don't know if it's an old injury, new injury, or just getting older but there's this pain in my shoulder that's been pretty much constant for a day or two and I'm so fucking over it. Cranky white boy alert

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2248 on: April 27, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
Jesus Christ. People turn into fucking children during election season. I'm disappointed that Bernie fans turned into PaulFeggits 2.0.

That's a pretty amazing evolution though. It's like when iOS copies an android feature.

bluemax

« Reply #2249 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:30 AM »

That's a pretty amazing evolution though. It's like when iOS copies an android feature.

I realized some dorks get into politics like I do college football and it makes it easier for me to understand, even if I'd rather talk about how overrated the SEC is than Bernie Sanders.
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2250 on: April 29, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
didn't fall asleep until 3am. Woke up at 5:30.  It's already going to be a long day.
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2251 on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:11 PM »
Looks like I have about two or three more weeks to go before I finish all the work my job has arranged with our biggest client yet.

Going to take a week paid vacation after that. Which will be most of my paid vacation time, save for... two days I believe... need to double check that.

It'll be a staycation so I can just hash the fuck out of my portfolio to get a huge chunk of it done before the end of this year. And it won't be a simple task since a lot of the work I've done at my job is (in my opinion) substandard due to small budgets and client input. So I'll have to give several projects some facelifts.

Also, as a way to motivate myself, I told my brother if I don't get my portfolio together before the end of this year he can have my Sager laptop, my whole entire Steam library, and my PS4 & the 3 or 4 games I have with it.

edit: sorry for shitty grammar and any misspellings. I'm fucking tired.

SplittinWigs

« Reply #2252 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:18 PM »
My laptop is overheating lately and it's really uncomfortable typing on this shit. But I deserve this for buying an Acer

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2253 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:44 PM »
Do you want me to give you a good reason to buy a new one? I have some expertise there.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2254 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
I don't even bother putting my 4 year old MacBook Pro on my lap.

That shit can cook an egg when I'm running Chrome, Photoshop, and Illustrator at the same time.  :doge

SplittinWigs

« Reply #2255 on: April 29, 2016, 11:34:51 PM »
I don't even bother putting my 4 year old MacBook Pro on my lap.

That shit can cook an egg when I'm running Chrome, Photoshop, and Illustrator at the same time.  :doge
Dude no joke, if I actually held this shit in my lap, 3-4 hours of Chrome is all it would take to burn my balls off and render me infertile. It's amazing.

Do you want me to give you a good reason to buy a new one? I have some expertise there.
I actually am looking to buy. Can write it off next time I file my taxes as a business expense. I mostly just want a laptop with an SSD, i7 or equivalent, and a decent GPU. Probably aiming for the low end range of ROG laptops. Haven't looked too hard yet as I'm still a paycheck or two away from being able to afford it but feel free to throw out some recommendations if you have em

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2256 on: April 29, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
Well, I was going to suggest to clean out the dust. This would not have helped. Then I would have told you to open it up and re-apply the thermal paste. This would somehow break the machine. Then you would have a real good reason to buy something new.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44101.0 The reference, just so I don't look like an utter lunatic. :doge
[close]

SplittinWigs

« Reply #2257 on: April 29, 2016, 11:51:06 PM »
lmao. Got me twice. I actually clicked that link thinking it was gonna be a laptop review or some shit smh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2258 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:33 AM »
Looks like I have about two or three more weeks to go before I finish all the work my job has arranged with our biggest client yet.

Going to take a week paid vacation after that. Which will be most of my paid vacation time, save for... two days I believe... need to double check that.

It'll be a staycation so I can just hash the fuck out of my portfolio to get a huge chunk of it done before the end of this year. And it won't be a simple task since a lot of the work I've done at my job is (in my opinion) substandard due to small budgets and client input. So I'll have to give several projects some facelifts.

Also, as a way to motivate myself, I told my brother if I don't get my portfolio together before the end of this year he can have my Sager laptop, my whole entire Steam library, and my PS4 & the 3 or 4 games I have with it.

edit: sorry for shitty grammar and any misspellings. I'm fucking tired.

Be nicer to yourself. Don't set yourself up for failure. Making self-threatening promises is an approach I associate with vicious cycles.

During your week off, take a day or two at least to recover from this jammed-up time. If you transition from this current crisis into your portfolio, you're likely to just be grinding gears.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2259 on: April 30, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »
I want to get a Wacom Cintiq tablet but not until I buy a new MacBook Pro and wait for a couple of months to regain all that spending money. :noah

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2260 on: April 30, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
Had to overhear a coworker talking about a Tinder date she went on the other day. This guy

-lives at home with his parents
-has six cats
-works part time at GameStop
-has a fart fetish

And she is totally smitten with this guy. at the end of the date he told her to practice farting on stuffed animals :yuck
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2261 on: April 30, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
So I live in a shitty part of town, and today walking Nami, some crazy women kinda slapped my shoulder.  It was aggressive but didn't hurt or anything.  This was after she was hurasing a old women in a wheelchair who was holding a stick to defend herself from the crazy women.  It could be drugs or psychological issues - basically swinging herself around and being really aggressive to anyone near her.  I should have called the police just to get her help but didn't and now I feel bad. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2262 on: April 30, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Had to overhear a coworker talking about a Tinder date she went on the other day. This guy

-has six cats
-has a fart fetish

And she is totally smitten with this guy. at the end of the date he told her to practice farting on stuffed animals :yuck
Guess there really is someone for everybody...  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2263 on: April 30, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »

-has six cats
-has a fart fetish

She is fat right?

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2264 on: April 30, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »

-has six cats
-has a fart fetish

She is fat right?
Let's hope so.  :doge
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:34:26 PM by Pallando »

BrokenVerses

« Reply #2265 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
Found out that my orders had changed from a cushy do-nothing Headquarters job to a frontline light infantry unit.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2266 on: April 30, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »

-has six cats
-has a fart fetish

She is fat right?

Not super fat, I think PD would call her thick.
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2267 on: May 01, 2016, 03:55:55 AM »
That's fat

Beezy

« Reply #2268 on: May 01, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
I can finally buy any game that I want without feeling guilty or ending up broke, but now I barely have time to play any of them. :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2269 on: May 02, 2016, 04:14:48 AM »
I fucking hate printers.
  • Try to print government form from Mac
  • Notice much later that nothing has printed
  • Bring up form again, send print command again; wait; printer times out
  • Reboot printer; send print command; printer times out
  • Boot wife's Windows computer which administrates printer firmware updates; find update; install 
  • bring up document on that PC; send print command; page begins printing; log out
  • print out is blank :maf :maf :maf
  • log back in, print -- this time it prints. FUCKING MYSTERY
  • Try again on Mac to see if update fixed it at printer level -- printer times out
  • Reboot Mac; try printing; everything works
  • Destroy humanity
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2270 on: May 02, 2016, 05:40:48 AM »
I can finally buy any game that I want without feeling guilty or ending up broke, but now I barely have time to play any of them. :(

Congrats on the baby

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2271 on: May 02, 2016, 06:50:21 AM »
The struggle of getting a phone number from a random girl.

Hang in there Kaffir.

Beezy

« Reply #2272 on: May 02, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

Congrats on the baby

Congrats on the babies

FTFY. You forgot he's Jamaican.

So a woman walked into work today and she looked EXACTLY like an ex-girlfriend. Threw me the fuck off when she walked by.

Don't you assholes wish this evil on me. :maf

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2273 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
Shit. There was a shooting near the Walmart that's close to my house.

Also, a bird flew into my house via the chimney when I was taking a nap but I was able to get it out.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2274 on: May 02, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
Girl who looks like my ex just casually walked up to me and gave me her number. I'm going down a dark path.

We literally are brothers. A chick at work just sent me lingerie pics.
 :badass

Gonna send it to my gf just to be transparent. I did not instigate this.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2275 on: May 03, 2016, 12:06:17 AM »
and there might be a threesome there  :letsfukk
que

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2276 on: May 03, 2016, 04:26:37 AM »
Bought Star Wars BR when it came out , but PS4 was broken didn't think about that.

So tried to play it on my laptop but under W10 you don't get the BR playback anymore.

The I had to rip it from the BR but the first three times I got the wrong audio (turkish?).

Probably should have pirated that shit.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2277 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:20 AM »
I'm officially a college student again and I'm terrified.
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2278 on: May 03, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
You should be.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2279 on: May 03, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
O and congrats.