Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917806 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #2640 on: June 30, 2016, 10:02:23 PM »
The first go around I ordered from an Indian pharmacy.  The only thing that sucked about that is that I had to pick it up at the post office.  I wasn't nervous or anything but I didn't like the feeling of picking up my illegal drugs at the post office.  The modafinil seemed to work fine.

The second go around I just went to a quack who is loose with the prescription pad; I had friends who use modafinil so they were able to give me the name of the doctor.  I brought a printout of all the great things they say about modafinil, said I was tired and had brain fog, and now I have a legal prescription.  It's pretty expensive but it beats getting a felony.
🍆🍆

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2641 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »
Speaking of this, without fail when my wife and I lived in a townhome I would come out at least 3 times a week to find the ignition cap on my bike open.  It has a little latch to cover the key insert.  It may have been kids just messing around or it could have been people looking for an easy steal, but that was when I really started to think "I need to get the fuck out of here".  It was a "good" neighborhood too.

Living in a commune where respect for individual ownership of property is minimal, it was probably some gene repositories. The only people who have ever fucked with my bicycles are stupid babies who need to be somewhere other than the den of iniquity I abode at. I didn't even have pedals you can't use without special shoes mounted on all of them until recently.

Related: one time a stranger (to me) was at The Commune for a party or whatever and they turned out to be quite the bicycle enthusiast, chatted me up for a bit, et cetera. My response was to lock all my bikes up in my room for a month until it was clear that they were not to be a regular fixture on our unending party scene. Trust other people brehs.

bluemax

« Reply #2642 on: July 01, 2016, 12:28:32 AM »
I hate writing IAP systems in video games. I have done it 3 times now and each time I feel like it takes a piece of my soul.
NO

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2643 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
Speaking of this, without fail when my wife and I lived in a townhome I would come out at least 3 times a week to find the ignition cap on my bike open.  It has a little latch to cover the key insert.  It may have been kids just messing around or it could have been people looking for an easy steal, but that was when I really started to think "I need to get the fuck out of here".  It was a "good" neighborhood too.

Living in a commune where respect for individual ownership of property is minimal, it was probably some gene repositories. The only people who have ever fucked with my bicycles are stupid babies who need to be somewhere other than the den of iniquity I abode at. I didn't even have pedals you can't use without special shoes mounted on all of them until recently.

Related: one time a stranger (to me) was at The Commune for a party or whatever and they turned out to be quite the bicycle enthusiast, chatted me up for a bit, et cetera. My response was to lock all my bikes up in my room for a month until it was clear that they were not to be a regular fixture on our unending party scene. Trust other people brehs.
This entire post made me laugh.  Thank you.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2644 on: July 01, 2016, 08:35:23 AM »
I hate writing IAP systems in video games. I have done it 3 times now and each time I feel like it takes a piece of my soul.
What's your best deal? :teehee

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2645 on: July 06, 2016, 12:51:38 AM »
Some assholes in my neighborhood thought it would be fun to set off their fireworks after midnight the night AFTER the fourth of July. They're being real dicks about it too, setting off one firework, then waiting about five minutes so you think they are done, and then setting off another lone firework. It's infuriating.
WDW

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2646 on: July 06, 2016, 04:21:29 AM »
No teens who just can't wait and start early? That's what happens here around new year's.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2647 on: July 06, 2016, 05:12:14 AM »
No teens who just can't wait and start early? That's what happens here around new year's.

That's just around New Year's where you are? I thought it was the whole reason for Planned Parenthood.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2648 on: July 06, 2016, 07:47:38 AM »
Ugh have an angry customer who feels I promised something I didn't. Maybe my wording wasn't the best but he is the only one complaining and being a total ass about it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2649 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
My wife and I went to a shooting range with the boyfriend of my wife's classmate on Saturday.  We agreed to meet at 8 and at 9:30 this dude tells me "I'm on my way".  Whatever, we were already doing our thing.  He shows up like at 10am and then instantly proceeds to sit down and start playing on his phone.  So after about 30 minutes he asks me to show him the ropes of the range.  So I walk him down to the pistol portion, explain the rules of the range since they're more strict at this place and give him a few general pointers.  I spend a few minutes BS'ing with him about his new pistol.  But I had spent the first two hours of my morning on the pistol side and it had been like 30 minutes since I left my wife by herself so I ask him if he's good with everything and tell him I'm going to go check on my wife. 

He meets up with his about 30-45 minutes after and we are packing up the rifles so he walks out with us.  We do some small talk and compare targets and all that, shake hands and leave.

Last night I get 8 texts from him where he says like he feels like he "needs to be assertive" ( :doge) and says that we weren't very welcoming and that the whole outing was a disappointment for him.  I didn't show him any of my guns or equipment and it felt like we were just at the same place separately. 

Ya know, I can somewhat understand it with him being new to guns and I told him that, but... don't show up 2 hours fucking late and expect me to be on your damn schedule.  Two hours late is basically not showing up in my book.  Fuck off with that.  And don't go get on your phone and then whine because no one is paying attention to you.  You sound like a bitch.  If you want to know stuff or see my gear, ask some fucking questions.  Where was your assertiveness?  He's 34 years old.  Men don't act like this.  I don't have time for this shit, nor the patience.  I fucking hate people. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2650 on: July 06, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
Did you tell him this? I think you should tell him he was two hours late and it was rude.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2651 on: July 06, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
It sounds like he felt unprepared there and like he was lacking in masculinity. You could say that you were just really focused and serious about what you were there to do (also can be applied to school/workplace whiners) but a guy that age who's that easily triggered might just rage at you? I dunno.

Usually younger guys I've seen like that take the dignified exit path as soon as you make that option available and then you never see them again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2652 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »
Show me you gun mups.  Let me see your gear. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2653 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »
Did you tell him this? I think you should tell him he was two hours late and it was rude.
Did you tell him this?

lol. srsly

this place reads like gaf sometimes

sorry mups :sabu

I did tell him this.  I sent a lengthy text back telling him basically what I posted above.  No apology but I did say I didn't intend to come off as unwelcoming.  I was just into my own thing at that point.  He didn't respond.  Whatever.

It sounds like he felt unprepared there and like he was lacking in masculinity. You could say that you were just really focused and serious about what you were there to do (also can be applied to school/workplace whiners) but a guy that age who's that easily triggered might just rage at you? I dunno.

Usually younger guys I've seen like that take the dignified exit path as soon as you make that option available and then you never see them again.
Yeah I'm not sure what he was expecting.  I was just of the mind that if I show up at something like that two hours late that I am there alone basically.  I wouldn't expect someone to pack up their rifle and then watch me shoot my handgun.

I doubt I'll hear from him again since he didn't get the apology I'm sure he thought he deserved.  But I felt like I did nothing wrong and I'll be damned if I'm apologizing for it.  I just couldn't believe he made a big deal out of it.  Even if I didn't feel like I was in the right I'd just say "Damn, Mupepe's an ass.  I'm not doing that again" and move on.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2654 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
Show me you gun mups.  Let me see your gear.
You've got it, broseph.  I'll send you some revealing pics tonight

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2655 on: July 06, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Crazy. Is your wife's classmate hot?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2656 on: July 06, 2016, 10:03:35 AM »
It's gonna feel like 40 degress out today.  It's 10am and already at 31.  Fuck me I can't take the heat. 

Also I discovered a bakery in china town where I can get like 3000 calories of damn fine treats and meat buns for like 4$

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2657 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
No. :(  She seems cool and normal though.  This dude is 4 years older than her, doesn't have a job, spends most of his days at home getting drunk and watching cartoons.  He gets by on his parent's dime while he goes to school... about an hour a week.  We're not sure why she's with him.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2658 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
He sounds mentally unstable, and he has a gun. Don't piss him off.
WDW

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2659 on: July 06, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
I saw his targets.  I doubt he could hit me.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2660 on: July 06, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
Mupepe listen, if things don't work out between your wife's friend and this guy and she needs another bf who can lay around the house all day and watch cartoons, you know where to find me.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #2661 on: July 06, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
Mups you should shoot him in the face.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2662 on: July 06, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »
This guy makes me think of my friends bf who is a 40 year old student.

He tried to make it big with his band but didnt altough they still play here and there so now he finished his bachelor and wants to do his master.

He studied something very stupid and thinks he will get a job at MI5 (the local equivalent) and if they dont give it to him he wont take any other desk job that might be a stepping stone so he will just work as a barista (which he does now)

now there are three possibilities:
-he is distinguished mentally-challenged and thinks he will get the job one day, him being over 40 and with no experience in the field (as he wont take similar lesser jobs) and the job being sought after so they can cherry pick talent
-he is just doing this to get student money from the government while keeping his gf of his back that he should be more serious while she works full time

Now I believe its a mixture as sometimes he calls the office for stupid reasons to ask her fucking dumb shit. Lile last week he called to ask what kind of papers he has to bring to a shop to buy a internet subscription. I mean you are 40 and have 5 days of a week and you call your gf to ask this while she is at work?  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2663 on: July 06, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
I'm trying to watch soccer and drink beer at work but my free stream sucks.  It's all jittery.  Also my old mac can't stream HD.  Life sucks. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2664 on: July 06, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »
I've been operating all day under the assumption that today is Friday
:dead

Looks like I'm not the only one lol. Holiday weeks brehs...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2665 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
I never operate under any assumptions.  I don't even operate in a sterile environment.   

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2666 on: July 06, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »
Mupepe listen, if things don't work out between your wife's friend and this guy and she needs another bf who can lay around the house all day and watch cartoons, you know where to find me.
No!  You belong to me.

This guy makes me think of my friends bf who is a 40 year old student.

He tried to make it big with his band but didnt altough they still play here and there so now he finished his bachelor and wants to do his master.

He studied something very stupid and thinks he will get a job at MI5 (the local equivalent) and if they dont give it to him he wont take any other desk job that might be a stepping stone so he will just work as a barista (which he does now)

now there are three possibilities:
-he is distinguished mentally-challenged and thinks he will get the job one day, him being over 40 and with no experience in the field (as he wont take similar lesser jobs) and the job being sought after so they can cherry pick talent
-he is just doing this to get student money from the government while keeping his gf of his back that he should be more serious while she works full time

Now I believe its a mixture as sometimes he calls the office for stupid reasons to ask her fucking dumb shit. Lile last week he called to ask what kind of papers he has to bring to a shop to buy a internet subscription. I mean you are 40 and have 5 days of a week and you call your gf to ask this while she is at work?  :doge
This honestly sounds like the fucking life.  Except being poor.  Being poor would suck.

I've been operating all day under the assumption that today is Friday

Looks like I'm not the only one lol. Holiday weeks brehs...
I thought yesterday was Wednesday and today was Thursday.  I woke up feeling great on the downward slope of the week until I realized :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2667 on: July 06, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
I saw his targets.  I doubt he could hit me.
If he comes after you, for added psychological damage, hide behind a paper target since he found them so difficult to hit.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2668 on: July 06, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »
No. :(  She seems cool and normal though.  This dude is 4 years older than her, doesn't have a job, spends most of his days at home getting drunk and watching cartoons.  He gets by on his parent's dime while he goes to school... about an hour a week.  We're not sure why she's with him.

No job, watching cartoons, in his 30s, may one day go on a murder-suicide spree...

What's his GAF account?
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2669 on: July 06, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2670 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:42 AM »
Been working all day in armpit-level humidity and heat, despite drizzling rain, on a software project which has required my undivided attention. Finally finished for the day. I've got a headache, going to play some World of Tanks, when my son hits me with: "Hey, dad! Can I play with my friends?"

Me: "In the house?"

Son: "Yes."

Me: "I'm going to use the TV and 360, so what are you guys going to do?"

Son: "Play... something else I guess?"

Me: "Do your homework first."

Son: "But there's so much of it!"

Me:  :iface

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2671 on: July 10, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Send help!  I caught my beard in my harmonica. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2672 on: July 10, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
It's still hanging there get me a buff fireman with the jaws of life. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2673 on: July 10, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »

I sent two calendar-grade firemen over, but I also sent Sushi Girl over with a camera to document your rescue to make sure they don't end up in your basement dungeon as part of some pale ruse.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2674 on: July 11, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »
Send help!  I caught my beard in my harmonica. 

©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2675 on: July 11, 2016, 12:06:48 AM »

I'll even let you take a drink from the fire hose.
serge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2676 on: July 11, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
At work:

"What's this Pokémon thing?"

"It's the government's way to track you.  You know that, don't you?"

*...waiting for the indication that it's a joke*

:doge :fbm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2677 on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »
Do they use a phone, at all? Because...  :shh

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2678 on: July 11, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I've honestly been trying to get a look to see if they have a cell phone.  If she does, she hasn't been on it for the last hour or two.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2679 on: July 11, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
At work:

http://blackbag.gawker.com/pokemon-go-is-a-government-surveillance-psyop-conspirac-1783461240

Sounds like your coworker is #woke.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2680 on: July 11, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
At work:

I bet this person checks in with facebook everywhere she goes.

"On the shitter at Target. No trans in here lucky for them."

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Trans person in the next stall over.
[close]
©ZH

bluemax

« Reply #2681 on: July 12, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »
Unity rolled out new forums a week or so ago and they're so broken that you can't post in any thread regardless of browser. Of course I find that out today when I have a question that I'd like to have answered relatively soon.

Apparently they're going to roll back the forums, it was possibly gonna happen today but as of 8pm PST it hadn't happened.

I have no idea how Unity became the dominant piece of middle ware for this industry. (Okay I have some idea, but still)
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2682 on: July 12, 2016, 01:10:15 AM »
I had someone try to pull that whole "Pokemon is a ploy by the powerful to get your data." today.
I was like "Wow, really? That sounds really importOHMYGOD A PIKACHU!!"

That shut them up.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2683 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »
The sun is a terrorist.  Why the hell hasn't it been put on a no fly list already.  Fuck this heat. 

G The Resurrected

« Reply #2684 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »
I turned another year older and have nothing I want to do.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2685 on: July 12, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
Happy birthday dude!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2686 on: July 13, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »
Unity rolled out new forums a week or so ago and they're so broken that you can't post in any thread regardless of browser. Of course I find that out today when I have a question that I'd like to have answered relatively soon.

Apparently they're going to roll back the forums, it was possibly gonna happen today but as of 8pm PST it hadn't happened.

I have no idea how Unity became the dominant piece of middle ware for this industry. (Okay I have some idea, but still)

Howdy. I'd /love/ to hear lurid speculation on why it has become so dominant. Many people have told me Unreal is a more reliable and robust environment.

They're weird; like, I can't imagine it's unusual to be running Unity on a Retina MacBook, and yet the authoring tool doesn't support Retina at all. It was causing errors, because despite my actual resolution being quite reasonable, Unity thought I only had 515x386, which messed up my friend's UI which had been built around 1024x768 (yeah, I know, I know).

So I look online to see if there's any plans to fix it, or a workaround, and I find a post from someone at Unity saying, "This will be fixed in 3 months." I look at the tweet-date: 2013.

I post "(cough)" in response, and within 5 minutes the guy responds "It's in the 5.4! It'll be fixed in the next release!" and then "You can get it in the 5.4 beta if you like!"

It was nice to get a response, but there's no way I'm doing shippable development on someone else's beta.

bluemax

« Reply #2687 on: July 13, 2016, 01:06:44 AM »
Unity's success is almost entirely due to timing and not the quality of the product. The engine got reasonably usable right when the mobile App Stores started blowing up and Unity promised the ability to write your game once and be deployable on both Android and iOS and you didn't have to fuck around with learning OpenGLES or Java or Objective-C. Unity had Javascript and Boo (which who ever used this?) and I think (maybe I remember wrong) C#/Mono support hit around the same period which also got a LOT of people who had tried to jump on the whole XBLIG bandwagon to jump ship as well.

Torque died. Unreal didn't come to mobile for awhile. I don't think Crytek hit mobile for like 5+ years. XBLIG was a bust. XBLA/PSN weren't really viable for small/mid size/solo type teams. Most of the established players in the console space weren't into mobile. The playing field between random joes and the big fish of mobile was relatively level and Unity was the best option. It also cost a whole lot less than anything else at the time.

The licensing cost was also a big deal. Really it wasn't until 2 years ago or whatever when UE4 finally changed their pricing model that there was anything even remotely viable that you could convince tight budgeted people to let you use.

So yeah, it was cheap, "easier" to use (you dont have to write a renderer, the misconception of no memory management), and deploys to multiple platforms. The asset and plug in system also let you avoid having to "roll your own" for a lot of common things.

I remember back in the 4.x days of asking "when's the new gui coming?" and the answer was always "when its done". The stock gui system was so bad, how it made it through 4 major revisions I'll never know.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2688 on: July 13, 2016, 02:18:07 AM »
So I became a member of Arsenal but I must have made a typo cause I didn't receive a confirmation mail. Already reached out to their CS.

Struggle is real

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2689 on: July 13, 2016, 07:43:39 AM »
So I became a member of Arsenal but I must have made a typo cause I didn't receive a confirmation mail. Already reached out to their CS.

Struggle is real
That's the football league/club, right?  what does it mean when you become a member?  Like a season pass type thing?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2690 on: July 13, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »

Struggle is real
That's the football league/club, right?  what does it mean when you become a member?  Like a season pass type thing?

Season pass is the dream, but I'll never have one for two reasons:
-There is a 40000 waiting list in front of me
-The cheapest is 1000 quid and I will be able to see maybe 2/3 games a year cause I have to fly in. Maybe one day  :)

Member just lets you buy tickets ad hoc from a reserved pool of tickets for members. The higher level your membership the earlier you can buy and the bigger the pool of tickets. General public can forget about it usually.

Sure you could buy tickets from ticket websites (dubious?) but they are usually 50 quid to 150 quid more expensive then when being a member which costs 34 quid. So if I just buy one ticket I already made my money back this season, plus all the money goes to the club.

Now why did I type this out? Cause I'm at work!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:14:46 AM by Premium Lager »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2691 on: July 13, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »
Was woken up very early to the following scene at 5:30 AM in the hallway right outside my bedroom:

Male voice: (stomping down the hallway, mournfully wailing) How could you do this to me???

Female voice: I am so sorry!

Male voice: How could you say that? To our Priest?!?!

Female voice: (inaudible. they had moved out of range of my hearing)

end scene
WDW

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2692 on: July 13, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »
I wonder what she could've said.  🤔

"My husband likes to cross dress when we have sex. Does God frown on that sort of thing?"

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2693 on: July 13, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
I couldn't fall asleep again because I was puzzling over what it could have been.  Maybe they are into that cuck lifestyle?
WDW

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2694 on: July 13, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
Every time I see Anna Kendrick I want to weep because I'll probably never get to see her naked.

TVC15

« Reply #2695 on: July 13, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
I just threw up coffee. It was still warm.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2696 on: July 13, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »
Then slurp it back down. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2697 on: July 13, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
I just threw up coffee. It was still warm.
throw it up in my mouth like I'm a baby bird, momma.

TVC15

« Reply #2698 on: July 13, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
I kind of was for a few minutes. I'd throw up a gulp and catch it in my mouth and re-swallow. And then the explosion happened.
serge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2699 on: July 13, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »
Great. Now I have the "Hot Piss" song stuck in my head. :doge