Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917818 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #2700 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Slurp It Up is their undeniable masterpiece.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2701 on: July 13, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
Unity's success is almost entirely due to timing and not the quality of the product. The engine got reasonably usable right when the mobile App Stores started blowing up and Unity promised the ability to write your game once and be deployable on both Android and iOS and you didn't have to fuck around with learning OpenGLES or Java or Objective-C. Unity had Javascript and Boo (which who ever used this?) and I think (maybe I remember wrong) C#/Mono support hit around the same period which also got a LOT of people who had tried to jump on the whole XBLIG bandwagon to jump ship as well.

Torque died. Unreal didn't come to mobile for awhile. I don't think Crytek hit mobile for like 5+ years. XBLIG was a bust. XBLA/PSN weren't really viable for small/mid size/solo type teams. Most of the established players in the console space weren't into mobile. The playing field between random joes and the big fish of mobile was relatively level and Unity was the best option. It also cost a whole lot less than anything else at the time.

The licensing cost was also a big deal. Really it wasn't until 2 years ago or whatever when UE4 finally changed their pricing model that there was anything even remotely viable that you could convince tight budgeted people to let you use.

So yeah, it was cheap, "easier" to use (you dont have to write a renderer, the misconception of no memory management), and deploys to multiple platforms. The asset and plug in system also let you avoid having to "roll your own" for a lot of common things.

I remember back in the 4.x days of asking "when's the new gui coming?" and the answer was always "when its done". The stock gui system was so bad, how it made it through 4 major revisions I'll never know.

Thanks; I'd forgotten about the XBLIG movement, and how PSN- and XBL-delivered digital titles were briefly predicted to be industry saviors, and then fell on their faces. I guess that's no longer true, but I see so many moneyhatted Sony PSN titles now and I'm so far away from the day-to-day of game biz now that I am sure my perception is skewed.

I /do/ really like Unity's New UI system. It feels quite robust and reasonably intuitive. I also enjoy how every item in New UI (well, Unity entirely)  is a Game Object with Components added per need, so just about anything can be purpose-built or stripped down as needed. I came in with Unity 5, so I only know the horror stories about the old UI system.

bluemax

« Reply #2702 on: July 14, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
Unity's success is almost entirely due to timing and not the quality of the product. The engine got reasonably usable right when the mobile App Stores started blowing up and Unity promised the ability to write your game once and be deployable on both Android and iOS and you didn't have to fuck around with learning OpenGLES or Java or Objective-C. Unity had Javascript and Boo (which who ever used this?) and I think (maybe I remember wrong) C#/Mono support hit around the same period which also got a LOT of people who had tried to jump on the whole XBLIG bandwagon to jump ship as well.

Torque died. Unreal didn't come to mobile for awhile. I don't think Crytek hit mobile for like 5+ years. XBLIG was a bust. XBLA/PSN weren't really viable for small/mid size/solo type teams. Most of the established players in the console space weren't into mobile. The playing field between random joes and the big fish of mobile was relatively level and Unity was the best option. It also cost a whole lot less than anything else at the time.

The licensing cost was also a big deal. Really it wasn't until 2 years ago or whatever when UE4 finally changed their pricing model that there was anything even remotely viable that you could convince tight budgeted people to let you use.

So yeah, it was cheap, "easier" to use (you dont have to write a renderer, the misconception of no memory management), and deploys to multiple platforms. The asset and plug in system also let you avoid having to "roll your own" for a lot of common things.

I remember back in the 4.x days of asking "when's the new gui coming?" and the answer was always "when its done". The stock gui system was so bad, how it made it through 4 major revisions I'll never know.

Thanks; I'd forgotten about the XBLIG movement, and how PSN- and XBL-delivered digital titles were briefly predicted to be industry saviors, and then fell on their faces. I guess that's no longer true, but I see so many moneyhatted Sony PSN titles now and I'm so far away from the day-to-day of game biz now that I am sure my perception is skewed.

I /do/ really like Unity's New UI system. It feels quite robust and reasonably intuitive. I also enjoy how every item in New UI (well, Unity entirely)  is a Game Object with Components added per need, so just about anything can be purpose-built or stripped down as needed. I came in with Unity 5, so I only know the horror stories about the old UI system.

Yeah I remember asking my boss back in the XBLA/PSN days why we didn't switch from making PSP games to doing those and he told me that the cost and return was so bad that in order to support our studio we would have to put out more of them than we were capable of at the time. The Apple App store at its outset was what everyone thought XBLIG/XBLA/PSN was going to be. It's why so many people jumped into it so hard.

Of course now you have to have something as amazing as Threes or Monument Valley for people to give a shit if you aren't a major IP.

The first real project I worked on in Unity was 4.2 or 4.3 and we used NGUI (I also briefly was a part of DudeBro which was in the pre C# unity days). I had learned about NGUI from a programming test I took for one place so when I got the job I had them buy NGUI because the default UI stuff was so bad. The stuff that took forever to make in NGUI is super easy to do now with the UI (Unity temporarily hired the NGUI guy to do the new UI). Unity is still poop for controller based input systems and navigation, but then almost every mobile game engine is.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2703 on: July 14, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »
Bastille day at the ER  :doge
We had a nice fireworks display less than 200m from home yesterday night tho. So hurrah. :goty2
ὕβρις

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2704 on: July 14, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
Bastille day at the ER  :doge
We had a nice fireworks display less than 200m from home yesterday night tho. So hurrah. :goty2
This quote from The Simpsons always gets me: "My mom's French so we only celebrate Bastille Day"

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2705 on: July 15, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »
I overhear 3 people discussing dementia and Alzheimer's.  All 3 pronounce it "All Timers".  Do these fucking idiots even stop to realize that doesn't make sense??  I've heard "old timers" before and at least I can see where they might get that one.  But it's fucking Friday and I shouldn't be this angry that people are so stupid.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2706 on: July 15, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »
I'm not sure what happened, but my left ankle start to get tight yesterday morning. It's really tight today and throbbing a little. It takes a few awkward steps before it loosens up a bit to have a semi normal walking motion. #wtf #old  :-\
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2707 on: July 15, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
sounds like you need some Vick's Vapor Rub!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2708 on: July 15, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
You so latino :doge
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2709 on: July 15, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
A business that's walking distance from my house has caught on fire and there's a bunch of fire trucks and news helicopters getting in on the action.

And there's a bunch of smoke everywhere.

So much for that nap I really needed since I didn't sleep that well last night.  :doge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2710 on: July 15, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »
A business that's walking distance from my house has caught on fire and there's a bunch of fire trucks and news helicopters getting in on the action.

So much for that nap I really needed since I didn't sleep that well last night.  :doge

You could always get a hotel room and invite a lovely lady to spend some time with you.
 :doge

TVC15

« Reply #2711 on: July 15, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »
You really let us down by not getting a hooker and bringing us a good story, Pallando.
serge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2712 on: July 15, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »

You could always get a hotel room and invite a lovely lady to spend some time with you.

Kinda stuck here for the moment.  :doge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2713 on: July 15, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Goddamnit. That hose is still there.  >:(

I guess I'm walking to the closest restaurant to get dinner instead of driving to my favorite pizzeria. And it's my cheat day too.  :'(

TVC15

« Reply #2714 on: July 15, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
I think I may have gotten food poisoning or something from Mexican food :(
serge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2715 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Kinda stuck here for the moment.  :doge

That's so North Carolina.
©ZH

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2716 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:40:36 PM by Pallando »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2717 on: July 15, 2016, 10:42:43 PM »
I overhear 3 people discussing dementia and Alzheimer's.  All 3 pronounce it "All Timers".  Do these fucking idiots even stop to realize that doesn't make sense??  I've heard "old timers" before and at least I can see where they might get that one.  But it's fucking Friday and I shouldn't be this angry that people are so stupid.

Thank the good Ness it's fry day.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2718 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:17 AM »
Cutting off the dead weight in your life :rejoice

I think I made a post about doing this a couple years ago.  You'll be surprised how much better your life gets when you do this.  Life is too short for some people's bullshit.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2719 on: July 16, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
I got out and mowed/watered the lawn this morning. Came back inside to have my morning coffee and i find that we are out. This is fucking bullshit!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2720 on: July 16, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
You motherfucker! Monday through Friday I don't drink coffee at home. My wife does though so I rely on her to tell me when we need it. That didn't work out this time!

I went to taco Bell, ordered my breakfast and ordered a large coffee... "Our coffee machine is out of order" Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. So then I had to go to Wal Mart and just buy some more coffee. This turned into an actual struggle.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2721 on: July 16, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »
Tea? Smfh

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2722 on: July 16, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
You motherfucker! Monday through Friday I don't drink coffee at home. My wife does though so I rely on her to tell me when we need it. That didn't work out this time!

Trust other people brehs. :heh

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2723 on: July 16, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »
I'd just go to seven eleven or something. I have the taste buds of a neanderthal tho.

Anyways I was helping my mother moving all her stuff and wow...fuck all that. Had to find and hire the laborers and drive the uhaul truck around which is not as fun as it looks. Now my back is tight and I feel like shouting at people. Which I did, and I felt bad. And then I had to wake up after 4 hours of sleep to go to work.

I get that you move less often as you get older but do you need a 500 pound dining table? I just eat in bed.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2724 on: July 16, 2016, 11:59:02 AM »
My problem with the corner store approach is that over the last 3 years I got down to my motorcycle being my only transportation when my wife isn't home. I'm not keen on hanging out at the corner store while my coffee cools down.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2725 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »
Rushing out the door to work this morning, I ran into my neighbors whom I had never actually seen before, only heard through the walls yelling at each other. The girl was leaning against the wall sobbing (which is gross because the wall is covered with black widow spider webs), and the guy was waiting for her to stop sobbing for a moment, and then he would make out with her for a little bit (which she seemed totally into), only for her to start sobbing all over again.

I had to awkwardly say "excuse me" to get around them.
WDW

PlayDat

« Reply #2726 on: July 17, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
Google Calendar keeps trying to be "smart" by automatically setting the location of events.  Every time I name something with a preposition, the phrase after it ends up going in the location field.   :yuck  I'm just trying to use the events as reminders.  There's an actual "Reminders" feature for Google Calendar, but I don't like how it works.

kick51

« Reply #2727 on: July 18, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
just realized Lana Del Rey looks like young Caitlyn Jenner

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2728 on: July 18, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2729 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »
Was driving home and suddenly *THUD* hit a nice new pothole in the middle of the highway.  The front-left hubcap went rolling along the left lane.
 :neogaf

Fortunately I was able to order a replacement pretty cheap.
ど助平

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2730 on: July 18, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »
Was driving home and suddenly *THUD* hit a nice new pothole in the middle of the highway.  The front-left hubcap went rolling along the left lane.

A pothole destroyed one of my front tires last year, and another literally broke my dad's car earlier this year. Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country.
:stahp

Kara

« Reply #2731 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Good thing it's not the hub of the auto industry or anything.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2732 on: July 18, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
Good thing it's not the hub of the auto industry or anything.
Karma for roads destroying Detroit. 
:tocry

Kara

« Reply #2733 on: July 18, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
potholes

(Image removed from quote.)

we of the cycling masterrace can simply bonny hop over them shits like it ain't no thang :lawd

I keep meaning to bump the bicycle thread about it but my recently purchased 40 year old French bicycle is so comfortable and eats bad roads for any meal. Those cats knew how to build bikes. (I guess they still do, there are a few ateliers left.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2734 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Debugging run time errors for code that takes 30 mins to compile :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2735 on: July 19, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »

A pothole destroyed one of my front tires last year, and another literally broke my dad's car earlier this year. Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country.
:stahp

Can't figure out how my tire ended up OK.  Am still expecting it to be flat when I go to my car after work.  :doge
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2736 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
Client brings us in to do a requirements document for a large project and is always freaking out about it to the point of wasting several hours of my time a week worried about it, I was always like "It's going to be well over a hundred pages, you're not going to read it, your stakeholders aren't going to read it. Why are you hounding me about this?" We finally put out the first draft, as stated it's well over 100 pages. The feedback we've gotten? Is "can you add one more column" I'm like "you didn't read it did you?" :gurl
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2737 on: July 20, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
Last month I was watching my little cousins, and they happened to watch about 10-15 minutes of Blair Witch Project before I remembered that they're not supposed to see shit like that; it was on television so I switched to some cartoons.

Today I got a passive aggressive text from my aunt saying that my cousins made some "demonic" branch piles in their front yard, and when pressed on how they learned of such demonism they blamed it on the movie.
:dead

Usually my cousins aren't snitches. I let them do all types of shit they can't do at their house, within reason. My aunt capped off her text with "while religion and the spiritual battle may not mean much to you, it means quite a bit to me and I want my children to reflect that."

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2738 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
I always knew PD was so demonic
que

Kara

« Reply #2739 on: July 20, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
You should have texted back, "Then pay for a babysitter who will."

Your cousins are stupid and snitches. Hope they never take up criminality...

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2740 on: July 20, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
You doubt the shielding powers of spiritual fortification? :gurl
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:50:48 PM by Rufus »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2741 on: July 20, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
Snitches get stitches PD.  Or they will walk all over you again. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2742 on: July 20, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
Kara beat me to the punch, but -yeah- invite your aunt to find a new venue for hosting her crotchfruit. Having guests over -- even family, sometimes ESPECIALLY family -- means they're subject to the rules of your house which may not perfectly coincide with her ideal environment.

And then sign off with an inverted pentagram.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2743 on: July 20, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
Or just summon a demon and let it eat your aunt, PD.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2744 on: July 20, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
It's not a burden for me and I enjoy chilling with them a couple times a month. But now that they're snitches I might have to reconsider.

Kinda wonder what else they've snitched on...

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2745 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
Never leave your PC unattended, wouldn't want them to see that a buch of strangers know which way your dick is bent.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2746 on: July 20, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
Or which way he likes his dicks bent. 

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2747 on: July 20, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »
Or that he talks to his cat
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2748 on: July 21, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »
Never leave your PC unattended, wouldn't want them to see that a buch of strangers know which way your dick is bent.
  • password your account
  • leave guest account open
  • disconnect and hide porn drive

Brehvolution

« Reply #2749 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »
My oldest turns 16 today. :tocry

My car insurance payment. :brazilcry
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2750 on: July 21, 2016, 09:51:43 AM »
Another heat warning.  Fuck this gay earth.

Also just got an email that I need to pick up my masters diploma or else they are gonna destroy it.  It's been sitting in some office for a year.   :doge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2751 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »

Nah no computer related issues, they have their own iPads. Sometimes they'll play around with my laptop. If I have them on a weekend I'll let them stay up past their bedtime as long as they're quiet; they fall asleep pretty quickly so it's no big deal. They're not supposed to listen to rap music but I've broken that rule, especially if the lady friend is over. Sometimes their mom sends them with a homemade dinner and I'll buy them a pizza in exchange for their dinner.
 :heh

And I let them watch Finding Nemo, which they weren't allowed to watch for some reason.

I'm just preparing for my eventual role as the GOAT uncle :lawd

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2752 on: July 21, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
How old are these kids?
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2753 on: July 21, 2016, 11:56:19 AM »
Remember PD wasn't allowed to watch the Simpson's as a kid and he's the 'cool' uncle. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2754 on: July 21, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
I'm imagining his cousins as Rod and Todd.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2755 on: July 21, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
It's OK if you don't get that reference PD. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2756 on: July 21, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
How old are these kids?

10 and 7 (soon to be 8 ).

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2757 on: July 22, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
Was booked for work today, which is fine, but it has been yet a pretty shitty day all around apart from the work itself which was fine. Sad news and a display of minor incompetences illustrating just how poorly run we've been for some time now. I'll only share the smallest one : A month ago I noticed that the defibrillator (mandated by law, I believe) in our service was beeping every 15 seconds or so (indicating it needs to be serviced). Well, I wasn't the first one to notice, really, but I was the only one to my knowledge to give enough of a shit to warn my superior who in turn forwarded it to maintenance. It's still beeping today.

:comeon :yeshrug
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2758 on: July 22, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
How old are these kids?

10 and 7 (soon to be 8 ).

Okay, that's not too bad. I was imagining that they were like 13 and 14 and you were like "Hey, come visit your cool uncle and I'll let you watch Finding Nemo and the Simpsons past your bedtime and eat pizza."  :mynicca
©@©™

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2759 on: July 22, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
I was about design a poster for my office that reads "Work Makes You Free" to motivate myself to get my portfolio done and try to get some other income streams going.

But then I remembered...

Whoops.  :doge