Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917802 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #2940 on: September 14, 2016, 11:00:03 PM »
So I had to give a presentation at a conference today. I've been fearing it because i knew it would be the largest audience I've addressed so far. I've really been stressing out. So I do it and I nail it. I mean, people told me I was amazing and engaging. I didn't even use my speaker notes. I winged it and it came naturally.

So I'm thinking what a great day! I was dreading this and it's awesome. I start my motorcycle ride home feeling awesome. About 5 miles from my house my clutch cable breaks. I try to ride home without using my clutch but there are too many lights and i realize it's an accident waiting to happen so I pull over. My wife comes by in her car while we wait for the tow truck.

She says her car has been starting slow so I say we will hit up autozone before heading home. She offers to go pick up some food but oh wait, the car won't start. It's dead! So now we are both stranded.

So we get the car jumped and i change out the battery and the motorcycle makes it safely home. Back in business. Except now her car has a transmission malfunction error that apparently requires the dealer to reflash the transmis control module. I really hope they can do it quickly and they don't charge me since the transmission has a recall and the warranty was extended for ten years.

But yeah, fuck today.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2941 on: September 15, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
Is it going to cost a lot of money?

I just lost a sale to a shitty competitor who is so shit I'm sure my client will be back in a few months, but it doesn't help the quarter numbers and my bonus  :maf

Like seriously this competitor is so shit I had another client try their package for free and they came back to me and paid 5/10k or something just not to have to use that shit.

I'd like to tell my client how shit the shit is he is buying into but I can't look too bitter, guess he has to find out.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2942 on: September 15, 2016, 05:08:41 AM »
If it's not a stupid european car like mine where software flashes have to be done at the dealer, then there's a chance that the independent mechanics might have the up-to-date software to do it. I'm guessing that's something you already considered though.

I'm right now looking to replace my car for something reliable/less than a decade old and the numbers seem to show that buying a new one would only be like 10% more expensive than used when factoring in depreciation. But people either tell me "oh that's cool" or "you're an IDIOT for considering new the DEPRECIATIONING!!!!!!!". But you can't put a value on a car that only you farted in and of course female owners usually get some dude to sell their car for them.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2943 on: September 15, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
well according to the dealership the entire control module needs to be replaced, not just reflashed.  it's covered under extended warranty which is good but apparently they can't even look at it until next Wednesday.  Meanwhile I'm driving a bucking/lurching car with an unreliable transmission around town trying to get a clutch cable which is apparently impossible to find because I'm the only asshole in Houston who has ever broken one.  I keep getting the question "One of them failed???" 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2944 on: September 15, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Two surprising things in this thread:
  • Texas car repair shops don't offer loaner vehicles.
  • Mupepe didn't rush off to buy a used car from a beautiful woman (or cousin) because she'd farted in it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2945 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:48 PM »
Haha well Ford warranty repair only offers it if they keep the car for more than ten days. I'll find out tomorrow or Monday how long it will be.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2946 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »
Haha well Ford warranty repair only offers it if they keep the car for more than ten days. I'll find out tomorrow or Monday how long it will be.
I know I'm probably splitting some hairs here, but the car sounds un-drivable, and the dealer says they can't look at it until Wednesday, that means they're keeping your car for 5~6 days right there. I'm surprised they're not being more accommodating.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/someone-learning-how-take-down-internet
In other news, the Internet is going to be zapped by China.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2947 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
oh I agree.  I'm not happy about it.  It's been a shitty two days.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2948 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »

Are you able to leave them a scathing Yelp review, as is standard California liberal policy, or in Texas do you just go down and wave a gun at them?  :-*

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2949 on: September 16, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
I really fucking hate the IT industry, every motherfucker has to come up with their own terminology for the same 20 year old fucking tech.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2950 on: September 16, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »

Are you able to leave them a scathing Yelp review, as is standard California liberal policy, or in Texas do you just go down and wave a gun at them?  :-*
The latter!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2951 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:05 AM »
Another friend getting a Ph.D. and leaving  :(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2952 on: September 19, 2016, 02:41:45 AM »
cycled 7km to work

forgot laptop

just gonna eat my jelly donut and drink a coffee before I cycle back

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2953 on: September 19, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
Pretty sure I cracked a tooth and another one has a hole right in the middle of a filling I got 6 months ago.  Think birds were onto something with beaks. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2954 on: September 19, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
So my youngest is autistic and as such we're engaged in the local autistic charities/special needs education scene. And we made good friends with other couple who have an autistic son and daughter. They're both very good and loving people who are kind and generous. Now it's obvious that both the wife and husband are slightly autistic themselves (though the husband more than the wife) but nonetheless, they're fun to hang out with and are really very helpful. But the husband just goes out and makes these posts on some of those sexy twitch streaming girls that almost cause you to pull a muscle from :kobeyuck so hard. It's really really bad and I feel bad for him and for his wife that sees him make these awful cringeworthy posts on these women's accounts. It's really quite awful.
que

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2955 on: September 19, 2016, 11:56:56 PM »
I'm confused, he made them on his twitch account or did he link to it on Facebook? Because if it's twitch then I'm guessing his wife/friends wouldn't see it right?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2956 on: September 20, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
Facebook official fanpage of one of the twitch girls.
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2957 on: September 20, 2016, 12:13:18 AM »
Did it show up on his wall for everyone to see?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2958 on: September 20, 2016, 12:18:47 AM »
oh yeah.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2959 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:09 AM »
:kobeyuck

Yeah, one of my uncles did that for some time. I also received friend request from fake sexy-girl accounts which had no reason to approach me except for "Mutual Friends: 1" - that uncle. Same uncle was also very proud of talking about his genius IQ (170 IIRC) so you can imagine how far the IQ argument goes with me.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2960 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:44 AM »
Well that's EQ I think.

IQ is just straight up logics.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2961 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »
Well that's EQ I think.

IQ is just straight up logics.

EQ is a pop psych term AFAIK and has no actual means of measurement. IQ has a means of measuring, but is skewed toward particular thought models and assumptions about language and culture. In short, my uncle was a shit head.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2962 on: September 21, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
Whats your IQ chrono?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2963 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
Whats your IQ chrono?

Let's just say that I'm no Glen Shinobi.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2964 on: September 21, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
whats glens self proclaimed iq?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2965 on: September 21, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »
Rage bumps you up a few points

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2966 on: September 21, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
I went to take a bag of trash to the dumpster and when I turned the corner I nearly jumped out of my pants because there was a blonde, dead-eyed woman standing inside the dumpster grinning right at me

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it was a partially-deflated Barbie birthday balloon right at eye level.
[close]
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2967 on: September 21, 2016, 09:49:25 PM »
whats glens self proclaimed iq?

Didn't he claim 168? It was half that, but had a 2X modifier when angry.

He also wrote me a nice PM once apologizing for treating me badly when he knew I'd only been trying to help, and then publicly posted that I act like a dick. So there's that.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2968 on: September 21, 2016, 10:37:36 PM »
wow a dick thing to post, chrono

no not rly
[close]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:16:28 AM by CatsCatsCats »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2969 on: September 22, 2016, 03:08:18 AM »
Dad's been drinking again.

The drinking was last night. This was this morning. I actually hesitated before posting, which maybe should have been under longer consideration, but Fuck That Guy.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2970 on: September 22, 2016, 06:38:50 AM »
I wanted to like Wraths post but then I though maybe he was posting about his own dad

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2971 on: September 22, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
no chrono is my dad

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2972 on: September 22, 2016, 07:30:17 AM »
Chrono es mi papi

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #2973 on: September 22, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
Chrono ist mein vati.
brb

« Reply #2974 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
Chrono hua abi

كرونوهوأبي
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2975 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
Stop misappropriating daddy culture. :bolo
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2976 on: September 22, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »
This is one is for Chrodaddy , saw this on Linkedin, might explain his Unity issues

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2977 on: September 22, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »
about unwanted children

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2978 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
You guys have heartfelmed me right past my ability to dad-joke, charmers. Since it's the bore, just assume I make some inappropriate joke about incest and mupepe. Wait, that's redundant.

This is one is for Chrodaddy , saw this on Linkedin, might explain his Unity issues

(Image removed from quote.)

I had some chrodaddy once, in some nice gumbo.

Srslythough, Unity support got back to me, explained that my problem was from purchasing prior to their new licensing model and that it's fixed if I purchase through their NEW licensing scheme. Which is lame, but whatever. Then I tried purchasing the new license with the CC which is already on record on their site for the monthly subscription, and had a new purchase flow including establishing a new password for the card, it was declined for no clear reason. Maybe international IP address? Fuck Finland. Fuck banks. Fuck Visa. Fuck Unity.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2979 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
Might be developing an ulcer :-\
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2980 on: September 22, 2016, 08:36:49 PM »
Might be developing an ulcer :-\
Fortunately, most ulcers are caused by the H-pylori bacterium, and can be cured with a course of antibiotics.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2981 on: September 23, 2016, 01:31:42 AM »
i had an ulcer when i was 20, or it was developing, but as said above we nuked it with medicine

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2982 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
Mine failed too last night.  Got tired of the PC still being on at 2am so I pressed the power button. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2983 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
I don't understand why they fucked with the start menu again. :wtf
It's such a minor change. Why bother?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2984 on: September 25, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
Speaking of Win10, I spent half a day last week trying to get new iTunes running on a netbook, because my sister-in-law just backed up her iPhone 6 to it, but the iPhone 7 wouldn't accept the older version. The older iTunes version had used an .msi installer, and would not allow the upgrade to happen. I eventually found an abandonware MS tool which forcibly deletes .msi installed applications. Doing all this on a painfully slow netbook with an unresponsive 2.5" trackpad while Win10 was still trying to cover the screen with Modern/Metro bullshit every time I hit Start was driving me up the goddamned wall.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2985 on: September 25, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
My car battery died today lol. Luckily I got the warning sign as I was driving towards a car parts shop so I was able to quickly handle it. I'm glad this happened before winter's arrival.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2986 on: September 25, 2016, 08:06:51 PM »
My car battery died today lol. Luckily I got the warning sign as I was driving towards a car parts shop so I was able to quickly handle it. I'm glad this happened before winter's arrival.

Spoken like a GRRM fanboi.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2987 on: September 25, 2016, 08:14:53 PM »
First fall weather day I think I've had in my area.  You might ask why I have that as an inconvenience and that's because that means winter is just three months away :-\
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2988 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Car stuff:

-My car had a weird stench coming from it from the past week or so.  It got really strong this past weekend.  We'd open the car doors and my wife would tell me that it smelled like someone laid the most disgusting far ever.   :lol  The smell would go away quickly when the AC was turned on or when the windows were rolled down.  It kind of smelled like garbage.  We went grocery shopping and the smell was really bad when we came back to the car.  The back seats in my car are always down to make for trunk space (it's a little Scion IQ) and there's a little bit of space between the back of the front seats and back seats when they're down.  Enough that something could call in there and go unseen.  Checked there and found the cause of the smell- a bag of lettuce that was two weeks old.  :lol  So glad it was completely sealed-- the contents were no longer lettuce but this brown goop.  :yuck

-My wife's car has been making noises when she backs up.  Took it by the service center and found out that the brake pads and fluid were dangerously fucked up and got them replaced.  Cost like $400.  :'(  I wasn't particularly-thrilled with this because we took the car into this place last month and they said everything was fine.  Every time we go here they claim to do a multi-point inspection.  How the fuck did they miss this?  :doge
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2989 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »
$400 for pads and a fluid flush??  :doge  I'd be pissed too.  That's ridiculous. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2990 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
$400 for pads and a fluid flush??  :doge  I'd be pissed too.  That's ridiculous.

They did some other stuff too, but yeah, seemed pretty damn high.  :-\
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2991 on: September 26, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
Think my fortune cookie came out of Mao's Little Red Book:  'Union gives strength.  Work collaboratively'. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2992 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:47 PM »
In the future, you don't need to take a car to a dealership for brakes. But I get that you were scared about what the potential issue could be and it gives more peace of mind to do it there.

studyguy

« Reply #2993 on: September 26, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »
My knees have been giving me trouble during my workouts recently.
Nothing's changed but it's fucking me up man 
pause

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2994 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:53 AM »
I really don't know what the fuck to do about my brother. I was kind of worried a few months ago when I texted him and he sent me back some super crazy born again shit but now he's living in my moms backyard in a camper and the concern about 'maybe this religious shit is actually kinda nuts' has gone from 0-100 real quick. She's like 70 and super healthy but I'm really dreading dealing with this shit when she dies. :/

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2995 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:40 AM »
How old is he?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2996 on: September 27, 2016, 07:55:55 AM »
In the future, you don't need to take a car to a dealership for brakes. But I get that you were scared about what the potential issue could be and it gives more peace of mind to do it there.

We've always gone to their service center; it's highly recommended among people around here and as a bonus it's very close by.  But lately I've been getting skeptical of them.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
CONTINUED UNITY BULLSHIT
« Reply #2997 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
THINKING ABOUT MOVING THIS TO THE FUCKING STRUGGLE THREAD, BECAUSE IT'S BEEN A FUCKING STRUGGLE

Now that I know the problem lies with Unity and their licensing model, I tried to purchase their special offer for upgrading to the "new Pro," which has the feature I need, but their billing process triggered fraud protection on my CC, and then proceeded to block all subsequent purchases at my bank.

I just got off the phone from sorting that out with my bank (more difficult than you'd think: meeting US banking hours in Japan), and getting the charges for Unity and every subsequent one cleared.

I go back to the needed email which offers the $75/mo price (same as my current price), and it launches a page that looks identical except it is $125/mo (new price).

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2998 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:42 PM »
Dude, this Unity struggle is worth its own thread.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2999 on: September 28, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
I did a really bad thing.  I tried to make a drop in replacement to python's list class that only kept a chunk of the list in memory and wrote the rest out to disk.  Well I did and it only took a day but I'm realizing it isn't nearly as drop it as I hoped.  Basically I did this because I had working code that works on a dataset 1/20 the size and I didn't want to change working code.  This was really silly.