Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917792 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3180 on: November 13, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Very nearly just hit a deer, shook.

Was the deer giving you lip?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3181 on: November 13, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »
 Since election day, every day I wake up and have between 3 and 10 seconds before I realize that the American political system elected Trump. I can't even say the American people elected Trump, we did, but not the majority. I think about what's coming in January.  I had been thinking about sending my daughter to Idaho for college, and everyone there has been nice as can be to me, but I am a straight white male, and I'm not sure my mixed race daughter would be as welcome.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3182 on: November 13, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »
Idaho? yeah. that can be rough.

:kobeyuck

I mean there is the morridor factor that help though.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3183 on: November 13, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »
Talked to my mom today which I do about ever 2 weeks and I hate it a lot.  Every time its the same patters: grandparents falling a part, she hates work and thought about quitting, all things she wants to do at the house but has never done for 10 years, updates on my cousins having significant others and if I have one, when am I coming home.  Every time I just feel absolutely terrible terrible for her and then feel bad for myself. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3184 on: November 13, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »

What's "morridor"? Gogleo seems to think you're talking about "Mordor."

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3185 on: November 13, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »

What's "morridor"? Gogleo seems to think you're talking about "Mordor."
The Morridor is what is called the area of concentrated mormon influence that runs through most of Idaho, all of Utah to Phoenix, AZ
que

nudemacusers

« Reply #3186 on: November 13, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »
idaho has a significant mormon pop? I thought the concern would be those, uh, militia types...
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3187 on: November 13, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »
Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, the Mormons are very present in Idaho. There's a massive new temple near Meridian / Eagle that screams order/solidarity/money. The Mormon history of self reliance, not trusting outsiders, and overall conservativism is not out of alignment with militia mentality. I wouldn't be shocked if many played in both playgrounds.

On the bright side, it would be Boise she's in, and like most cities it's pretty liberal downtown. Hell, even Texas' cities voted blue.  :-\

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3188 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »
Well, the morridor influence might not be so bad. There will be lots of return missionaries and mormons wanting to be nice to try and convert her. So you could do worse.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3189 on: November 13, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
What do you mean "convert"?

Well, honestly, the mormons are the best prepared for the apocalypse, so there's that. And if he's got polygamy in mind he'll probably have a great life insurance policy she can cash in on when I'm finished.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3190 on: November 13, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »
"Convert" as in try to make her mormon. Really it's quite harmless. Besides she's in boise so less likely to see it there. It just depends on what social circles she ends up in. With all the return missionaries it can be somewhat good because at least there's some exposure to other cultures. All in all, you could've done worse. It's small town, but not so bad.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3191 on: November 13, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
Talked to my mom today which I do about ever 2 weeks and I hate it a lot.  Every time its the same patters: grandparents falling a part, she hates work and thought about quitting, all things she wants to do at the house but has never done for 10 years, updates on my cousins having significant others and if I have one, when am I coming home.  Every time I just feel absolutely terrible terrible for her and then feel bad for myself.
How familiar this is. Same patterns, only my grandparents are already dead.

I briefly thought about making a bingo card to keep near the phone, but my shameful disinterest is plain enough to see already. No need to garnish it with mockery.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3192 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »

Okaaaaaaaaaaay. I'll be your boyfriend for a day of sitcom shenanigans.

No I need a girlfriend.  Just to spite them all. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3193 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
How do you look in a wig and a dress? 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3194 on: November 13, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »
How do you look in a wig and a dress? 

Paging Atra, I've got you a date.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3195 on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:56 PM »
Also I got a bunch of stress pimples right now. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3196 on: November 13, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »
Ya but I prefer it when I'm beautiful on both sides. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3197 on: November 14, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »
Just binged a box of cookies, jesus

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3198 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
Just binged a box of cookies, jesus

are you me

I bought cookies yesterday and kept on eating until I felt sick

threw the rest in the trash

woke up today, dug any clean cookies I could find out of the trash and ate them

:fbm

This post doesn't belong in this thread as I'm pretty sure this is the literal definition of struggle.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3199 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »
I just want to say I've never trash dived.  Stay clean dude.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3200 on: November 15, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »
Bruhhhh

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3201 on: November 15, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
Dufus is Dutch George?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3202 on: November 15, 2016, 01:39:07 PM »
Was it on a doily?
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3203 on: November 15, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »
As a father of a kid with autism you always try to be positive and not look at it as a disability or anything. And I feel I do that pretty well. But man, when you're filling out IEP prep paperwork it really hits you how despite all the help you can get him there's just going to be things that are going to be struggles for him that everyone else takes for granted, that no one else even thinks about, some of that is going to always be very difficult for him through no fault of his own. Sucks :goty
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3204 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
As a father of a kid with autism you always try to be positive and not look at it as a disability or anything. And I feel I do that pretty well. But man, when you're filling out IEP prep paperwork it really hits you how despite all the help you can get him there's just going to be things that are going to be struggles for him that everyone else takes for granted, that no one else even thinks about, some of that is going to always be very difficult for him through no fault of his own. Sucks :goty

This is an actual struggle. You need to redirect to the actual Struggle Thread, or start a new hug box.

Also: Shit, sorry, dude. That is seriously rough.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3205 on: November 16, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
This project is starting to seriously fray people's tempers here. It's one of those "make/break" projects for the CEO's year initiative's so he's pulled all the the most senior people in on this project and brought in some outside people too. We've already had to fire a guy and laid off another. Today one of the outside guys goes off about how he doesn't like my cohort's tone (which I was in the room and there was nothing wrong about the tone) he kept pushing it and pushing it while my cohort was trying to calm the guy down the dude turns to me and says, "Puppy! I think you guys have a bad tone. What do you think?!" Now generally I'm known for being the guy everyone likes so I think he was looking for me to be on his side.  I was done with it and said, "What you don't understand is that you might be a big shot in your field, but in this room you're the small fish here. That guy (I said pointing at my cohort) and me, we're the guys the CEO calls first every morning. We're all working here and you're talking about tone. You wanna know what I think? I think we've already fired one guy. That's exactly what I'm thinking right now."

The room went completely silent. I guess you can't complain about tone if the room is silent.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:11:58 PM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

G The Resurrected

« Reply #3206 on: November 17, 2016, 02:21:07 AM »
Broke my crown on a damn cookie... Right before the holidays too when dentists like to take off a whole damn month and a half. I ate some of the crown and I feel it in my stomach moving around.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3207 on: November 17, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
I haven't bought a bottle of whiskey in a long time, so I went to the store and stared at the whiskey wall. Damn this shit got expensive. :noah
I bought and 18 year old Jameson 3 years ago for $80 now it's $130?  :-X

I ended up with a regular bottle for $30. I don't like it enough to pay that kind of money.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3208 on: November 17, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »
This project is starting to seriously fray people's tempers here. It's one of those "make/break" projects for the CEO's year initiative's so he's pulled all the the most senior people in on this project and brought in some outside people too. We've already had to fire a guy and laid off another. Today one of the outside guys goes off about how he doesn't like my cohort's tone (which I was in the room and there was nothing wrong about the tone) he kept pushing it and pushing it while my cohort was trying to calm the guy down the dude turns to me and says, "Puppy! I think you guys have a bad tone. What do you think?!" Now generally I'm known for being the guy everyone likes so I think he was looking for me to be on his side.  I was done with it and said, "What you don't understand is that you might be a big shot in your field, but in this room you're the small fish here. That guy (I said pointing at my cohort) and me, we're the guys the CEO calls first every morning. We're all working here and you're talking about tone. You wanna know what I think? I think we've already fired one guy. That's exactly what I'm thinking right now."

The room went completely silent. I guess you can't complain about tone if the room is silent.
I fucking love when you take charge like this.

bluemax

« Reply #3209 on: November 18, 2016, 01:00:32 AM »
Today was my producer's last day at the company. She's probably one of the main reasons the project didn't get canned and why I was able to start working normal human hours.

They hired someone to replace her (doesn't start for another 2 weeks) who has 5 months of professional experience. None of it on video games.

I'm starting to get a little sick of this philosophy of only hiring "diamonds in the rough", ie potentially talented, young, and cheap individuals.

I've also been told that my next project is likely a "re-skin" of an existing game of the companies (which hasnt been updated in awhile). I don't think I'd enjoy that.

Also I got suckered into ordering a pastry for $1.29 more today at Panera Bread at lunch and then I forgot it at my table.

My sister's kid has some form of autism/sensory processing disorder and does IEP stuff. Apparently the principal of her son's school isn't being particularly helpful and suspended him for behavioral problems. That just seems so fucked up to me.
NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3210 on: November 18, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
drunk on barley wine and its gross.  But it was called thor's hammer so I had too. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3211 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:12 PM »
what.cd is dead, brehs :tocry

Beezy

« Reply #3212 on: November 19, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
what.cd is dead, brehs :tocry
Shit. Why? Are there any good alternatives out there?

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3213 on: November 19, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
slightly depressed im getting fat again so i ordered dessert with my take out
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3214 on: November 20, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »
Been sick with the worst cold in YEARS since Thursday evening. Got up to 102.4º f on Friday evening. Made sure it wasn't influenza on Saturday, the test for which involves poking a stick in through a nasal passageway until it apparently scrapes ungently against first the optic nerve and then the amygdala. Woke up feeling 300% better, but still am about 60% because the room is still spinning and the ringing in my ears won't stop.

Still: BETTER THAN FRIDAY.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3215 on: November 20, 2016, 06:59:53 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3216 on: November 20, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
I feel you. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which garbage did you find them in?
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3217 on: November 20, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
Congrats!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3218 on: November 21, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
Well that's the main thing I was talking about. When you fill it out i t makes you realize that some people are always going to see him as weird. He'll have to work hard on communication that other things that come normally to others. definitely getting help for him. Still sucks at times when I wish things were easier for him.
que

bluemax

« Reply #3219 on: November 23, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
So on Friday during our call with the publisher, one of the things they say is "the heads of the company saw the game and they were very luke warm on it. We were thinking maybe you guys could add some more pizzaz, more emotion to it."

I bit my tongue very hard at that moment to not say something I would regret, and our studio head blustered with them a bit before moving things on to actual business.

The reason I was so pissed is that almost everything that has come up as an idea to make the game "pop" more or whatever is something that WAS PLANNED AND GOT CUT FOR TIME AND BUDGETARY REASONS. There's like a month and a half left on the schedule and it is pretty much all devoted to bug fixing and balance tuning. I don't know what the fuck they think we can add at this point that doesn't fuck shit up royally.

I told my boss after the call I needed a drink, he obliged.

Working for publishers is shit.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3220 on: November 23, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »
So on Friday during our call with the publisher, one of the things they say is "the heads of the company saw the game and they were very luke warm on it. We were thinking maybe you guys could add some more pizzaz, more emotion to it."

I bit my tongue very hard at that moment to not say something I would regret, and our studio head blustered with them a bit before moving things on to actual business.

The reason I was so pissed is that almost everything that has come up as an idea to make the game "pop" more or whatever is something that WAS PLANNED AND GOT CUT FOR TIME AND BUDGETARY REASONS. There's like a month and a half left on the schedule and it is pretty much all devoted to bug fixing and balance tuning. I don't know what the fuck they think we can add at this point that doesn't fuck shit up royally.

They're stupid:
http://www.boredpanda.com/sharp-suits-worst-client-comment-posters/

Clients always ask for stuff they think they want, but don't actually know what they want, or how to appreciate what they do have. It's stunning.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3221 on: November 23, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
Found out a bunch of people here at work are legit preppers.  Like "I'm digging up my SHTF container this weekend because things are looking up".  :(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3222 on: November 23, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
Flip-flopping on it like that doesn't sound very legit.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3223 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:24 AM »
Flip-flopping on it like that doesn't sound very legit.
well they seem enthusiastic talking about their stash of food, first aid equipment and other crap.  I think their effort is in earnest they're just not very smart... like most preppers.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3224 on: November 23, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
Dude, you have no idea. my wife has a gay uncle who is very mormon (I know, just wait, it gets better) , and not just a prepper but a "new world order" conspiracy theorist prepper. Like "The government is using chemtrails and Pokemon Go to control and surviel us!" prepper. Dude's married to another guy, and that guy is perfectly normal. I don't get it at all.
que

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3225 on: November 23, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »
Maybe the crazy has made him awesome in the sack?  I mean, it has to be that.  Otherwise why would you marry someone like that when you know those people go on and on about that shit in private.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3226 on: November 23, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
My hacking cough and throat problems are all that remain of my cold from last weekend, but I'm still in not-ready-for-primtime shape, so I'm opting not to go downtown for the expat Thanksgiving feast. I have been looking forward to it for a month, but I know my limitations as a 49-year-old, and marching around like that would cause a relapse.

FUCK. I wanted turkey.

bluemax

« Reply #3227 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »

They're stupid:
http://www.boredpanda.com/sharp-suits-worst-client-comment-posters/

Clients always ask for stuff they think they want, but don't actually know what they want, or how to appreciate what they do have. It's stunning.

Oh I know, I used to work at an interactive marketing company. At least publishers have some vague idea of what things take to make. Try telling a massive pharmaceutical company that you can't make their stupid iPad app on the budget they want and have it run on 1st gen hardware.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3228 on: November 23, 2016, 10:25:39 PM »
Oh I know, I used to work at an interactive marketing company. At least publishers have some vague idea of what things take to make. Try telling a massive pharmaceutical company that you can't make their stupid iPad app on the budget they want and have it run on 1st gen hardware.

:lol

That's actually what I'm doing these days, but none of them have actually tried to get that kind of stipulation in the spec.

Ha, wow! You're psychic or something.  :doge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3229 on: November 24, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
Well.

I'm on my way to have Thanksgiving dinner with my whole Donald Trump voting family.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3230 on: November 24, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Well.

I'm on my way to have Thanksgiving dinner with my whole Donald Trump voting family.

So don't talk about politics. Regale them with stories of your new dating life
dur

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3231 on: November 24, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »
Oh, don't worry. I talked about my dating life.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3232 on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
Maybe they only voted Trump so you'd have something to say and then you ruined their plan. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3233 on: November 27, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
Trying to decide if I want to build a new PC.  What I want will end up costing 3500, which I can afford right now on the one hand I should really wait for the 1080 ti to come out or just use my departments machines for my research.  One the other hand I want a kick ass machine to play games on at work and I won't upgrade my home machine before I get one for work. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3234 on: November 28, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
Its for doing work on for 99% of the time.   

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3235 on: November 28, 2016, 01:09:08 PM »
Have you tried "abstracting it into the cloud"? I heard that works.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3236 on: November 28, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »
Have you tried turning your budget off and turning it back on?
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3237 on: November 28, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Cloud machines are too slow or cost too much.  Already my models take like a week to train on Titian Xs. 

archnemesis

« Reply #3238 on: November 28, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
We've built a few machines with quadruple Titans. It's a cheaper solution than using a GPU cloud.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3239 on: November 28, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
My hacking cough and throat problems are all that remain of my cold from last weekend, but I'm still in not-ready-for-primtime shape, so I'm opting not to go downtown for the expat Thanksgiving feast. I have been looking forward to it for a month, but I know my limitations as a 49-year-old, and marching around like that would cause a relapse.

FUCK. I wanted turkey.

oh man

spoiler (click to show/hide)
you old
[close]