Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 918700 times)

studyguy

Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3240 on: November 28, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
I bought a bunch of shit on a whim on black Friday through Amazon and forgot.
Mostly mundane shit. Toothbrush tops for my electric brush, new windshield wipers, bedsheets, this water filter thing for my fridge, etc.

Small shit, came home to like 7 boxes blocking my door.   ???
pause

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3241 on: November 28, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
This is what I'm thinking.  Got to decide tonight

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DdRBGf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3242 on: November 28, 2016, 06:50:26 PM »
My hacking cough and throat problems are all that remain of my cold from last weekend, but I'm still in not-ready-for-primtime shape, so I'm opting not to go downtown for the expat Thanksgiving feast. I have been looking forward to it for a month, but I know my limitations as a 49-year-old, and marching around like that would cause a relapse.

FUCK. I wanted turkey.

oh man

spoiler (click to show/hide)
you old
[close]

Yeah, you kind lads have dubbed me the bore's dad, but there are days I feel like the bore's grand-dad.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3243 on: November 29, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
He's using it for work, too. I imagine it's more useful there.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:43:46 PM by Rufus »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3244 on: November 29, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »
I think PC part picker just assumes multiple gpus will be SLI.  For work they are just sperate gpus which I can run one experiment on each. 

Decided to hold off on it and see what it is like boxing day.  My schools servers are kind of empty now so they should be good till end of xmas and then it will get busy again when everyone is trying to submit to ICML in feb and we get rationed compute time. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3245 on: November 29, 2016, 03:42:42 PM »
This is what I'm thinking.  Got to decide tonight

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DdRBGf

:drool

Get another 256GB SSD for your OS and used the M.2 drive as your cache drive.  :phil
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3246 on: November 29, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
I think 2 M.2 drives doesn't work because the cpu is only 20 pcie lanes and the the M.2 takes 4 and the gpus take 8 each?  So I'd end up losing bandwith to the first M.2 right?   

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3247 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
I was advising to get a SATA3 SSD for the OS, but I read up more on the M.2 is much faster than SATA3. You could always get SATA SSD down the line.
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3248 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »
O ya that would work as well. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3249 on: November 29, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
On this project the CEO is pulling in one of our all-stars, but he doesn't really know the space/tech. So I'm doing this immensely long 2 hour brain dump session he was like "OK, I think I got it now. I understand what they're trying to do. So who is going to do this section?" I was like "Yeah....that's you man."

He was like "Uh....but I've never done this tech before I mean who is going to teach me how to do all that."

"Yeah, again, that's you man."
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3250 on: November 29, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
"Puppy! You're good at business right?"
"Uhh...."
"Help me with my business!"
"Uhhh..."
"We're gonna kick off a sale next month. We're gonna do some ads in the paper and everything. What do you suggest we call it?"
"Well what's the sale?"
"10% off of everything!"
"...and??"
"And....it starts in December."
"Save your money and pull the ads."
"Why?"
"10% You kidding?"
"Hey 10% is a good sale!"
"When was the last time you were like '10?! I'd better go there!!'"
"Uhh..."
"10% sale is the participation award of sales."
"But it's 10%! I thought you said you were good at business!"
"No, YOU said that."
"I'm going to double the ads!"
"Good thinking."
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3251 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:01 PM »
:rofl

Nice.

Good thing I'm bad at business and my MIL and wife are Osaka women, feared worldwide as the apex predator of business deals. I remora off their expertise.

My struggle is more frequently this:
Chrono, I think I want to get a smartphone.

OK, well, get an iPhone because they're the easiest to use, and if you need help, I can troubleshoot it on my own devices instead of trying to navigate a particular flavor of Android, in Japanese, that some lowest-bid idiot put on your handset.

Thanks, Chrono. That will be great.

(later)
Chrono, hey, I got this smartphone! (displays low-end Android POS handset)

Why'd you get that?

It was cheap!

:'(

Tasty

« Reply #3252 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
Root it and install stock Android ;)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3253 on: November 30, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
was chatting with a friend who was having relationship issues and I mentioned to her my belief that people that are attractive tend to be pretty stupid when it comes to relationships simply because they just never really had to try. As I put it, if you miss a bus and you know there's just going to be another one in 3 minutes you don't try very hard to catch that bus. But if you knew it was the only bus that day you're going to make sure you're on it. She wasn't trying to be flippant or anything but said, "So that's probably why you're so good at relationships."

:brazilcry :brazilcry :brazilcry
:dead
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3254 on: November 30, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
:lol

Your tag should be 'Bus rider'

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3255 on: November 30, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
"Puppy! You're good at business right?"
"Uhh...."
"Help me with my business!"
"Uhhh..."
"We're gonna kick off a sale next month. We're gonna do some ads in the paper and everything. What do you suggest we call it?"
"Well what's the sale?"
"10% off of everything!"
"...and??"
"And....it starts in December."
"Save your money and pull the ads."
"Why?"
"10% You kidding?"
"Hey 10% is a good sale!"
"When was the last time you were like '10?! I'd better go there!!'"
"Uhh..."
"10% sale is the participation award of sales."
"But it's 10%! I thought you said you were good at business!"
"No, YOU said that."
"I'm going to double the ads!"
"Good thinking."

Ask if they could get 10% off ads, would they then TRIPLE their ad buy?
rub

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3256 on: November 30, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
My boss said today that my problem is that I talk like a smart guy to idiots when what they need is someone who talk to them like an idiot. Posing it that way with the 10% off the ad is probably exactly how I should have communicated my disdain for the idea.
que

Robo

« Reply #3257 on: November 30, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
Every time I'm out shopping for clothes and see some expensive jeans that I consider buying, I think "if I buy these, would I become Futami?  What spending limit do I need to enforce to avoid that life?"
obo

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3258 on: December 01, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »
I went to Burger King today for lunch (mistake). As I was walking out I noticed that a family was getting into their car to leave. I saw the kid take a long swig of a large drink and throw it on the ground in the parking lot, splashing pop everywhere.
:mindblown

I saw a couple people do this earlier this year too. What the fuck, is this a thing?

Syph

« Reply #3259 on: December 01, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
holy shit PD
 :dead

edit: i should clarify that when i read your post i pictured the kid dead ass looking you in the eye before tossing the drink lol
XO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3260 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
Wait you're not suppose to slam it so your pop pops? 

Brehvolution

« Reply #3261 on: December 02, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
I went to Burger King today for lunch (mistake). As I was walking out I noticed that a family was getting into their car to leave. I saw the kid take a long swig of a large drink and throw it on the ground in the parking lot, splashing pop everywhere.
:mindblown

I saw a couple people do this earlier this year too. What the fuck, is this a thing?

Trump's America :gloomy
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3262 on: December 05, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Couldn't find my belt this morning so I had to wear the only other one I have - an African belt that some kids my brother worked with in the Peace Corps (Kenya) made for me. It's a bit too long for me and features traditional African/Kenyan colors and patterns.

So far 10 people have come up to me and said "oh hey nice Christmas belt!"  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3263 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
:rofl

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3264 on: December 05, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »

Rapping Santa

I couldn't find the 30 rock video of liz seeing black santa dolls in a bin and going 'O look a rapping santa' then pulling the cord only to have it sing regular xmas chorals.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #3265 on: December 05, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
There's no IFTTT for ordering delivery food, so I can't bark at my shiny new Google Home "Order me a pizza." :fbm

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3266 on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Every year the amount of happy birthday Facebook wishes gets smaller
dur

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3267 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
Finals week sucks
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3269 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
My anxiety has been killing me the last few days.  Currently drinking beer at 4:30 to try to focus on work. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3270 on: December 09, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
There is a hot Persian women in our group that has always been flirty with me and today she gave me tickets to the art gallery for secret santa. 

I however had no idea what the AGO was, and so I thought it was just part of the wrapper for a bookmark she also gave me which I then focused on
 :'(

I'll ask her to the gallery during the break though. 

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3271 on: December 09, 2016, 03:55:27 PM »
Almost dropped a large arrangement of cacti I made. To steady it my brain decided to grab one of them. Hand swelled up and turned blue and I spent an hour picking out half inch thorns.
vin

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3272 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:18 PM »
Walked downtown to the bars in 20 degree weather. That was a mistake
dur

Syph

« Reply #3273 on: December 11, 2016, 11:36:19 PM »
for the past week ive been fuming everytime i use youtube because the video has been way too fucking big
i have a fucking 15inch laptop what kind of resolution is youtube expecting for god sakes
in that time, i even took part in a youtube survey about the new layout, where i flamed the shit out of the new video player size

...then today I realized I had accidentally zoomed in on youtube in my browser, so i just needed to zoom out the page and everything went back to normal...yeaaaaaa
XO

Tasty

« Reply #3274 on: December 12, 2016, 12:31:30 AM »
for the past week ive been fuming everytime i use youtube because the video has been way too fucking big
i have a fucking 15inch laptop what kind of resolution is youtube expecting for god sakes
in that time, i even took part in a youtube survey about the new layout, where i flamed the shit out of the new video player size

...then today I realized I had accidentally zoomed in on youtube in my browser, so i just needed to zoom out the page and everything went back to normal...yeaaaaaa

:comeon

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3275 on: December 12, 2016, 12:41:46 AM »

My Mom wanted to FaceTime, and her iMac started asking her for passwords to this and that. After putting one in for FaceTime and again for iCloud and it wanting something else, I asked her to just restart the machine. After it rebooted, everything was fine. No password requests, no nothing, just working like it should.

So, every single time anyone is having a problem, I start with this:
[close]

Syph

« Reply #3276 on: December 12, 2016, 01:01:05 AM »
i didnt say i was proud lol

the saddest part is im pretty computer literate
i mustve just had the thickest blinders on not to realize my mistake haha
XO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3277 on: December 12, 2016, 03:31:30 AM »
i didnt say i was proud lol

the saddest part is im pretty computer literate
i mustve just had the thickest blinders on not to realize my mistake haha

Usually what gets me: I forget the Wacom tablet has its pen sitting on its surface within reception distance, so the optical mouse or tracking pad I'm using keeps twitching or resetting. I'll look for lint in the laser area of the mouse, restart the machine, and then eventually accidentally tap the Wacom pen and send the pointer flying across the screen, finally making the cause clear.  :-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3278 on: December 18, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
Ya I've been meaning to comment on your lack of likes for a while, but I assumed such a comment would generate too many likes and just add salt to the wound.   

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3279 on: December 18, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
I haven't had a properly Like'd post in a while.

I don't think I have it in me anymore brehs. :fbm My posting quality has noticeably taken a nosedive.
We need to crowdfund to get your internet popularity back on track.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3280 on: December 18, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
While living in Japan, Apple's the only company that lets me pay for content and receive it without a VPN (and most streaming services are actively stopping VPN users because: reasons). So it pissed me off a lot today when my Apple TV decided it couldn't see any wifi networks, and therefore can't show me any of my stuff. I tried restarting the device repeatedly. I restarted my modem, router, wifi router. I looked online to see if this was a common problem. Nothing.

Started wondering which day I should make an appointment at the Apple Store in Osaka. I will be leaving for America on Friday, and will be busy until the moment I leave, so little field trips for misbehaving devices are not a priority -- except I think my warranty runs out in January.

In the end, I tried a factory restore, and it decided to work again. So I re-watched Fury Road.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3281 on: December 18, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
Decided to bust my IMAX cherry with Rogue One today. The experience was pretty good, but the theater showed a whole bunch of advertisements -- literally 5-10 minutes of advertisements, including an Orangina advert TWICE. It'll be a while before I again pay ¥2300 for a movie so someone gets that much of my eyeball time on ads.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3282 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:01 AM »
Been using Kodi to steal movies and burn em onto disc. Just straight pillaging all that Disney has to offer so that my niece will have a DVD collection come Christmas along with her new portable DVD player.

So I'm working down my list, wrapping up the download for Homeward Bound. That finishes, but I always check and make sure these mp4s play right and every now and then one will have a surprise dub.

click click

Aight lookin good, audio's in sync and good enough PQ but oh shit Harrison Ford was in this movie? Don't remember that but whatever. More skimming and more Ford. Ford everywhere.

Yoooooooooo :doge

spoiler/spoiler

I did not not pay for this :donot

Sent it to the :trash but only after letting all the t&a scenes play out :leon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3283 on: December 21, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »
that fucking feel when you prepare a nice glass of tea but then you have to take a shit and by the time you come back to drink your tea it's gotten cold

fml

Drink it on the toilet.
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #3284 on: December 22, 2016, 02:43:23 AM »
that fucking feel when you prepare a nice glass of tea but then you have to take a shit and by the time you come back to drink your tea it's gotten cold

fml

Not with my black tea.

Stays hot for too long tbh.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:15:43 AM by Coax »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3285 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »

fml

Buy a vacuum glass, or eat more fiber so you're not taking ½ hour shits.

Tasty

« Reply #3286 on: December 22, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
10 minutes?! I'd kill myself if my shits took that long.

30 seconds and done.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3287 on: December 22, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
You'll know you're getting old when your gut is affected by the garbage you shovel into your face. You've got a couple years left.

« Reply #3288 on: December 22, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
Bro why are your shits taking so long? You get enough fiber?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3289 on: December 22, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
Like we're gonna believe Mr. Baked Goods & Candy hasn't been constipated since you were a younger virgin.
:neogaf

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3290 on: December 22, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
I take 2 minute shits and 20 minute personal breaks on my phone, come at me 💩 📱

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3291 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:55 PM »
I watched Little Women Dallas on Lifetime last night (season finale). Some of those little women were hot.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3292 on: December 23, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »
Left home at 0800 this morning with the fam to travel to Poland for Xmas

1 hour drive to bus station

3.5 hour bus drive to airport

5 hour wait at airport

1.5 hour flight

45 min to get to hotel

hope well be in bed by 2230, hope my 2 years old wont be too mental

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3293 on: December 23, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »
Made it by 2115! Blessed cousin picked us up with his car.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3294 on: December 23, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
Just drove for 15 hours straight from Tennessee back home. Last Friday I drove 16 hours straight from home to Tennessee

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3295 on: December 23, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
You should have just stayed in Tennessee  :doge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3296 on: December 27, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
spend christmas alone playing videogames you don't enjoy brehs
:tocry

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3297 on: December 28, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »
Had to take Bentley the dog to the vet. Hurt ums ittle paaaawww.
rub

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3298 on: December 29, 2016, 02:23:39 AM »
I guess my best friend is going to get married to his succubus girlfriend. Probably never hear from him after that. I really don't want to have to go to that wedding. Would it be a super asshole move to reject being the best man at such a thing if you really don't support it? Probably.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3299 on: December 29, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
yes it would