Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917827 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3540 on: March 16, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
Me too. I want to be asked "the usual?" when I walk up

Yeah, that level of kindness from a place gives me warm-fuzzies.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3541 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »
It totally depends on the establishment -- I loved being a regular at dive bars, some of them would pour me a drink as soon as they saw me. When the mcdonalds cashier gets friendly I take it as a warning sign. So, it's a pick your poison kind of thing I guess.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3542 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »
It totally depends on the establishment -- I loved being a regular at dive bars, some of them would pour me a drink as soon as they saw me. When the mcdonalds cashier gets friendly I take it as a warning sign. So, it's a pick your poison kind of thing I guess.

Especially if the McDonalds register clerk greets you with, "How's things, fam?"

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3543 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Half the reason I tip well is that it pays off on subsequent visits.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3544 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
What's the other half?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3545 on: March 16, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
Felt excited when moving to a new apartment in a new area because then I would probably get a new delivery guy for my almost-daily food delivery. ...Nope. Same damn guy. He's nice though. But I felt like dying when he thanked me for my loyality. :doge

Sometimes I go to the same places many times a week, and pretend I'm trying to decide what to eat even though I already knew, and they already knew, before I sat down.

I hate the idea of being a regular at a restaurant.  As soon as someone knows who I am or knows my order I don't return for months on end :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3546 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:24 PM »
What's the other half?

To flaunt his wealth, the capitalist dog he is.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3547 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
Capitalism, ho!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3548 on: March 16, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »
Capitalism, ho!

He writes on every gratuity line. 

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3549 on: March 16, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Felt excited when moving to a new apartment in a new area because then I would probably get a new delivery guy for my almost-daily food delivery. ...Nope. Same damn guy. He's nice though. But I felt like dying when he thanked me for my loyality. :doge

Sometimes I go to the same places many times a week, and pretend I'm trying to decide what to eat even though I already knew, and they already knew, before I sat down.

I hate the idea of being a regular at a restaurant.  As soon as someone knows who I am or knows my order I don't return for months on end :doge

I like being a regular, I have the opposite problem where if I can't show up for months on end they asked me where the fuck I've been. L
That happens to me too, it just feels bad when they seem annoyed to see me, lol. I'm sure it's not like that, I've just gotten so used to overly friendly staff, anything else seems like they hate humans.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3550 on: March 16, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »

:doge

bluemax

« Reply #3551 on: March 17, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
The cashier at one of the grocery stores in my neighborhood asks me how things are and where I've been if I don't shop there for awhile.

I usually lie because the actual reason is most times when I go shopping there they have 1 register open and I'm not buying very much and I gotta wait behind some person who is buying 30 things at midnight.

So I drive the extra mile to another store with self checkout.
NO

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3552 on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:22 AM »
What's the other half?

Redistributing the ill-gotten gains that flow to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3553 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »
I like being a regular, I have the opposite problem where if I can't show up for months on end they asked me where the fuck I've been.
That happens to me too, it just feels bad when they seem annoyed to see me, lol. I'm sure it's not like that, I've just gotten so used to overly friendly staff, anything else seems like they hate humans.
[/quote]
Yeah, isn't it weird? The service in Japan is so good, that even tiny slip-ups feel like weird little affronts. When I go to the bakery and they ask me "is this to-go?" it feels like they're hoping I'll leave. Then I'm like, C'mon, brain, knock it off!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3554 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
I ordered a custom 1911 on Wednesday.  They estimated ten weeks until completion.  It's been less than 48 hours and it's driving me insane.  :'(

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3555 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
Capitalism, ho!

Is there some new Thundercat I missed?  :doge
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #3556 on: March 17, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »

Kara

« Reply #3557 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3558 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »
So tired from this work week. I'm laying in bed about to fall asleep and everyone that I know is out partying and consuming green shit while wearing more green shit. Oh well.  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3559 on: March 17, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
The Irish are a bunch of terrorists.  You're keeping the free world safe by not playing a part of the normalization of Irish culture. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:17:26 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3560 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Probble O'Matic
rub

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3561 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
I've had a pimp ass macbook clone HP spectre X360 for 2 years and all of a sudden it wouldn't turn on. I got panicked not having a laptop for almost 40 hours and went ahead and bought the exact same laptop (but with QHD/i7/bigger SSD) on Craigslist for $500.

Anyways, I thought I'd diagnose the old one and promptly stripped two screws (flathead on a torx). So of course I bought a drill. And then I drilled those two out and tried testing the laptop without the battery. It works without the battery so that indicates the battery just needs to be replaced.

So basically if I had used the proper screwdriver, I would have saved close to $600. But now I have a decent drill and I'm thinking of giving my gf the "old" one after I replace the battery. That proves that while I'm not good with money, eventually brawndonomics works for the greater good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3562 on: March 17, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
I've had a pimp ass macbook clone HP spectre X360 for 2 years and all of a sudden it wouldn't turn on. I got panicked not having a laptop for almost 40 hours and went ahead and bought the exact same laptop (but with QHD/i7/bigger SSD) on Craigslist for $500.

Anyways, I thought I'd diagnose the old one and promptly stripped two screws (flathead on a torx). So of course I bought a drill. And then I drilled those two out and tried testing the laptop without the battery. It works without the battery so that indicates the battery just needs to be replaced.

So basically if I had used the proper screwdriver, I would have saved close to $600. But now I have a decent drill and I'm thinking of giving my gf the "old" one after I replace the battery. That proves that while I'm not good with money, eventually brawndonomics works for the greater good.

I'm trying to figure out if there are more logic fallacies than actual diagnosis/action errors in your post.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least now you're better equipped. :-*
[close]

Kara

« Reply #3563 on: March 17, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »
I won't ever buy a Zipp product because they use Torx. I'm not sinking to that level.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Based JIS being close enough to a hex. :expert
[close]

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3564 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
Saw this funny shit and it reminded me of that conversation we had earlier about being regulars at diners etc. :lol :lol

https://www.facebook.com/TheUnluckyBrit/videos/2291622867731877/
(Sorry for linking a FB link, I swear I'm not a bad person)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3565 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:18 AM »
Saw this funny shit and it reminded me of that conversation we had earlier about being regulars at diners etc. :lol :lol

:doge :doge :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3566 on: March 19, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

Taco Bell once a day? Which Borian is this?
©@©™

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3567 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
So uh, I fell asleep reading this forum and ended up having a weird dream where we had a Bore meetup, but then my dad showed up super drunk and I got really scared of him (he's 20 years sober, was never violent though ofc). Then you guys helped me chase/trick him into going home.

There was a lot of weird details.. like one of you smoked rainbow colored meth.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:08:25 PM by butt »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3568 on: March 20, 2017, 02:12:56 AM »
It's been years since I was out of the game this early in my brackets across every single pool.

I think the only one with any final four team left standing is the one where I picked Gonzaga to win it all due to employing a tweak on the "best statistical player in nation wins it" method. (Nigel Williams-Goss's real plus-minus is illegal and they have like two other top ten guys.)

Oh wait, UNC is still alive too. So I could still win a number of these on a single game in the Final Four decides it all technicality. I have a number of titles over the years through that method. I once won a pool via a single Elite Eight game because the winner decided between me and this other guy who had each picked one of the two teams to make the Final Four. I think that was the year when like all the 1 and 2 seeds got jacked and I had just chosen winners based on their kenpom adjusted pythag which had shown most of them were overseeded.

That's usually how I just do it and then across the pools "break ties" the different ways. My brackets are like 95% the same across pools, not one of those submit ten different brackets dudes, let alone the try and pick out every upset dudes. Just hew close to the odds in a one-and-done setup for basketball, it's too dominated by single players.

This last one standing was just the one where I had broken the Villanova/Gonzaga tie in favor of Gonzaga, all the others got Villanova and thus went down in flames.

EDIT: oh shit, i put UNC in the title game in every bracket, maybe everything IS coming up benji

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3569 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:49 AM »
So uh, I fell asleep reading this forum and ended up having a weird dream where we had a Bore meetup, but then my dad showed up super drunk and I got really scared of him (he's 20 years sober, was never violent though ofc). Then you guys helped me chase/trick him into going home.

:heartbeat

I had a couple of Bore dreams. They also usually involved trouble. Fun trouble.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3570 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »

Oh yes. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I'll have dreams of internet people/friends, and it's always weird.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3571 on: March 20, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »

Oh yes. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I'll have dreams of internet people/friends, and it's always weird.

Karakand looks like an emaciated Tom Waits in my dream.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3572 on: March 22, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »
One of my employers can't even get post-contract papers right (on top of late wages and months of issues with their fillings), differing admission of my statute.

You'd think after being bought out by a successful company this shit would get straightened...
ὕβρις

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3573 on: March 26, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »
At least it went out peacefully. Rest in peace, sweet (digital) prince.

Kara

« Reply #3574 on: March 26, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
A huge pet peeve of mine is when someone volunteers to do something, or I ask them to do something, or I assign them to do something, and they pepper me with questions at every juncture in the decision tree that follows instead of just getting shit done; If I have to give you input at every juncture of the process I could have just done it and spared myself the grief of this tedious process because this is obviously not a teachable moment for (pejorative) you, genosse. :doge

Guess what's happened all week at work and now today in my sliver of a personal life?

As Ciaphas Cain says, it's better to do the wrong thing than nothing, so stop fucking asking for my input.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3575 on: March 26, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
I hate it when I order take out somewhere that's usually not busy on Sunday at 3pm and it's just packed to the gills with people and I end up waiting 45 minutes instead of 10 minutes.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3576 on: March 26, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »
As I pissed away yet another weekend, I'm finding that this year has been sucking ass for me.  There's some shit that I won't get into (sorry for that btw as I hate vaguebookers), my career has essentially peaked, I'm getting lazier and fatter, for a few days I contemplated getting a Switch (that urge seems to be gone fortunately), and I seem unable to get anything done that requires a shred of ambition.  I'm not asking for anyone to bust out the violins, I'm just venting to nobody in particular and I'd be too embarrassed to post this on my Facebook.

Edit: Also I requested a while ago that my name be changed to Olivia Wilde Homo and it still hasn't happened yet :(

Edit2: Wow, thanks! :-*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:09:04 PM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3577 on: March 26, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
So sorry about your lack of a name change.  Hang in there buddy. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3578 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
I just started a minimester for my history 1301 course. My instructor seemingly checked out or something. Each assignment tells you to read chapters from a book they were using last year so I don't know what chapters each section actually correlates to.  He provides powerpoints and I've watched them all.  There is no audio and the text on the powerpoint is one word summaries that should obviously be accompanied by notes or audio elaborating. The content on the tests are not covered in the powerpoints and again reference the book that we are no longer using so some of the questions aren't even addressed in the book we are using. Some of the chapter 2 test questions aren't even brought up in the book until chapter 3. I brought this up to him and his response was basically "yeah, I thought I got everything referencing the new book but I guess not. Just read ahead and you'll get it."  Motherfucker. I'm doing 4 classes and working full time and I have to play this guessing game shit. Fuck you. This shit is basic as fuck like it's made for elementary kids so I'm not even reading the book anymore which REALLY pisses me off because now I'm really wasting my time. They may as well just be taking my pulse and if I have one I pass.  Yay?  fuck you.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3579 on: March 26, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »
All the cool cities with good jobs haven't gotten back to me

I'm going to end up in Kansas or Fresno. Le sigh
dur

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3580 on: March 26, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »

I live in a city called Fresno.

Huff

« Reply #3581 on: March 26, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
Wrong state or that'd be a plus
dur

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3582 on: March 26, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Founder was from Fresno, CA and so this Fresno is pretty terrible too.  It's not even a city.  It's a Census Designated Place.  :doge

First question from anywhere after I tell them where I live "Where is that?"

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3583 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »
Fresno is a better option because better cities are a couple hours away.

I don't know where you'd end up in Kansas but it could be 6-8 hours to get away to somewhere decent.  Plus the weather is absolute shit in the midwest (hot summers and cold winters) and Kansas is inside tornado alley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley#Average_annual_number_of_tornadoes_per_10.2C000_square_miles_or_26.2C000.C2.A0km2
🍆🍆

Huff

« Reply #3584 on: March 26, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
I agree with that

money wise, kansas is a better option as it's way cheaper to live and they are going to pay more in comparison as well

still waiting to hear from some other big city hospitals but they move super slow on the HR/hiring front. Only been straight up denied at one place with about 10 more still in the process
dur

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3585 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
So at work a guy says, "Hey man, you look a lot like this actor." I say, "Paul Giamatti?" He's replied, "No, David Cross." I told him I get that a lot and blurted out my favorite David Cross line from Arrested Development, "Yeah, I'm really looking for something that says, 'Daddy likes leather!'" The guy just raises his eyebrows and says, "So yeah, David cross from those Alvin and Chipmunk movies." Apparently he never watched Arrested Development and is probably wondering why he works with such a pervert :goty
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3586 on: March 26, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »

That's a no brainer. In Fresno you'll have at least some upward mobility, you can get to the silicon valley or LA or Sacramento or San Diego. In Kansas, where are you going to go?
que

Huff

« Reply #3587 on: March 26, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
Either way its a temporary stop for a couple years before making my way back to the south east
dur

Kara

« Reply #3588 on: March 27, 2017, 12:43:21 AM »
So at work a guy says, "Hey man, you look a lot like this actor." I say, "Paul Giamatti?" He's replied, "No, David Cross." I told him I get that a lot and blurted out my favorite David Cross line from Arrested Development, "Yeah, I'm really looking for something that says, 'Daddy likes leather!'" The guy just raises his eyebrows and says, "So yeah, David cross from those Alvin and Chipmunk movies." Apparently he never watched Arrested Development and is probably wondering why he works with such a pervert :goty

This is a great schtick. I love using it on nerds.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3589 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
Woke up to a sore throat, and I had strep once (which was like having glass stuck in my throat), so that always scares me.
Going to Europe on Friday, so I'm really hoping it'll go away by tomorrow and not become a big problem. Flying when sick is the shittiest. :'(

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3590 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

Give him an education on Joe Rogan while you're at it.

"Joe Rogan? From Newsradio? I love that guy!"
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3591 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
Woke up to a sore throat, and I had strep once (which was like having glass stuck in my throat), so that always scares me.
Going to Europe on Friday, so I'm really hoping it'll go away by tomorrow and not become a big problem. Flying when sick is the shittiest. :'(

That's how this years' flu started for me.
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3592 on: March 27, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »

God I want a Mac so bad but they're all underpowered, outdated and overpriced.

So...why do you want one, then?

My cousin spent like three grand on a Mac, two monitors, a MacBook, and an iPad.  Seems like a pretty good deal on paper, except all of this shit was used.  He bought an old-ass Mac from like eight years ago, two Apple monitors that were less than 1080P, a five year old MacBook, and an iPad first or second generation for that price.  I didn't even want to start any shit and say anything about how he wasted his money on that shit and could have gotten something much better for way less if he went the Windows/Android route for that stuff.  Dude doesn't do anything special with his computer and could probably work fine with a netbook.

There's just something with his part of the family and technology.  Some years back we went to my aunt and uncle's place (his parents) and I noticed that they had a wireless network setup that was completely unprotected.  I told my uncle he should really get a password in place and he got pissed off at me and told me that my cousin said he didn't need one so it didn't matter. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:35:12 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3593 on: March 27, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »
Had a full-spec Macbook Pro Retina. I sold it for half the price 3 years after buying it, and spent the money on computer parts. I like to think of the Mac purchase as an investment. Had I gotten any other laptop, I wouldn't have been able to buy all the PC parts I needed, especially 3 years after purchase.

But in a general sense, ugh, that shit was overpriced as fuck.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3594 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
Apple products definitely have good resale value, for sure.  That's pretty much the only thing I miss about no longer having an iPhone.  :lol

Although I see I could get around $600 or more for my Surface Pro 4 right now.  That ain't bad.  Almost kind of tempting to get rid of it now and see what Microsoft does with the SP5.
ど助平

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3595 on: March 27, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
Oh btw, the whole forum is suddenly an hour ahead of my actual timezone, and I can't find the setting to change it anymore.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3596 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:21 PM »
Oh btw, the whole forum is suddenly an hour ahead of my actual timezone, and I can't find the setting to change it anymore.

Profile > Look and Layout.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3597 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »
cable management is a fucking bitch
püp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3598 on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »

There is no option anymore http://i.imgur.com/q8evkqdl.jpg
Nothing in either of those links at least.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3599 on: March 27, 2017, 09:59:12 PM »

There is no option anymore http://i.imgur.com/q8evkqdl.jpg
Nothing in either of those links at least.

Profile > Forum Profile > Look and Layout > Time Offset
ど助平