Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917806 times)

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3600 on: March 27, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
Found it, thanks! It was a bit more tricky to find than before, and was only visible on hover.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3601 on: March 28, 2017, 03:15:58 AM »
This forum's software is trash. I also had difficulty with that timezone shit. It's hidden behind a button with a drop down list but it doesn't look like a button.

God I want a Mac so bad but they're all underpowered, outdated and overpriced.

So...why do you want one, then?

Because I think in the past Macs were decent enough. Now they're shit. In principle a computer like a Mac would be superior because it's not as overly complicated as PCs.
I know, it's terrible. Usually I'm always on mobile too, so it's awful to type out posts on a non-responsive website with 1 pixel fonts. And since hover doesn't work on mobile, I couldn't find the timezone option. Thinking if it, I believe I asked demi once in PM about this  but he never responded.

Either way, this belongs in the struggle thread. :lol

Fifstar

« Reply #3602 on: March 28, 2017, 04:08:05 AM »
Okay, this is useful. And really well hidden, even on desktop :)
Gulp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3603 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
There's also an option to use side bar menus instead of drop down in there, too

Definitely just set the time right for the first time in my browsing history tho
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:35:06 AM by CatsCatsCats »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3604 on: March 29, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
In principle a computer like a Mac would be superior because it's not as overly complicated as PCs.

I haven't felt like anything PC was like that in comparison since Windows 7 came out.  I say this as a former Apple user for decades.  I didn't get my first PC until 2004, and my next computer following it was a MacBook.  I switched back to PC in 2009 and never looked back. 

Apple sucks now.  The only product I have from them that I use on a regular basis is an Apple TV, and I hate it.  Constantly have problems with the remote not responding properly (when navigating using the touchpad) and apps not working.  Like Hulu will constantly freeze up and stop playing videos.  If I load up Hulu on a PC or a mobile device the videos play just fine.  It only happens on the Apple TV.  I really need to get rid of it already.
ど助平

archnemesis

« Reply #3605 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
Download the Apple TV remote app for your smarphone. The physical remote is awful.

Computer operating systems are really user-friendly these days. Even Linux is simple if you get the right distribution.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3606 on: March 29, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »
So I'm technically in the machine learning group at school except I never actually hang out there or talk to my supervisor there.  Today they were taking a photo for an add for the WSJ and G&M for this http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39425862 , and I went to it and basically had to stand around and not talk to anyone because like the 2 people I know in the group didn't come.  Very awkward. 

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3607 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
Today I was on the verge of telling a client that I wanted to gargle buckshot because of all their inane and incessant changes on a bunch of designs that I've been working on-and-off since the beginning of this month.  :beli

If this was a "normal" client this shit would've been completed easily within 3 days...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3608 on: March 29, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Today I was on the verge of telling a client that I wanted to gargle buckshot because of all their inane and incessant changes on a bunch of designs that I've been working on-and-off since the beginning of this month.  :beli

If this was a "normal" client this shit would've been completed easily within 3 days...
You might tell your bosses that they need to find someone else to work on this client's stuff, and/or that they can grow a spine and start charging for the changes and figure out someway to channel that back into your income. Dealing with somebody else's constant emergencies on your salaried, no-overtime schedule is utter horseshit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3609 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
Download the Apple TV remote app for your smarphone. The physical remote is awful.

Computer operating systems are really user-friendly these days. Even Linux is simple if you get the right distribution.

Is there a good Apple TV remote for Android, though?

But yeah, I used to be fully-behind Mac OS being more user-friendly than Windows.  I haven't felt that way about it in years now. 
ど助平

archnemesis

« Reply #3610 on: March 30, 2017, 03:17:03 AM »
I have no idea. Never owned an Android device.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3611 on: March 30, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
mods help made me cry
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3612 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
I have no idea. Never owned an Android device.

:trigger

But even with a remote app, there's still issues with playback.  I have an old Roku 2 that I was given for free sitting in a drawer.  I guess I should try that out and see if it is any better.  The only reason I got a new Apple TV was because our old one was also wonky/shitty and rather than get something else, I stuck with it since it can be used to stream DirecTV which I have access to.  But recently nobody has been doing that and we can do that using a PC anyway.
ど助平

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3613 on: March 30, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
Where is Kaffir the Reaper?

I miss that guy.
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3614 on: March 30, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »
Holy shit, a section of the bridge on a major highway here in the ATL just collapsed!  :o  Nobody was hurt.

The news is already making it sound like it will be ARMAGEDDON tomorrow.  It's definitely going to fuck up traffic all over the place, but there are alternate routes out there.  They're making it sound like there is no other way to get downtown and we're all fucked.   

Still, would love to work at home tomorrow.  I just doubt that's gonna happen.  :-\
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3615 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
In principle a computer like a Mac would be superior because it's not as overly complicated as PCs.

I haven't felt like anything PC was like that in comparison since Windows 7 came out.  I say this as a former Apple user for decades.  I didn't get my first PC until 2004, and my next computer following it was a MacBook.  I switched back to PC in 2009 and never looked back. 

Apple sucks now.  The only product I have from them that I use on a regular basis is an Apple TV, and I hate it.  Constantly have problems with the remote not responding properly (when navigating using the touchpad) and apps not working.  Like Hulu will constantly freeze up and stop playing videos.  If I load up Hulu on a PC or a mobile device the videos play just fine.  It only happens on the Apple TV.  I really need to get rid of it already.

Are you using it properly? I was using mine as a touch-and-slide to navigate, not realizing it wanted left/right-side taps to move single steps. I became pretty stressed when trying to navigate, constantly overshooting, until I figured out that UI interaction.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3616 on: March 30, 2017, 11:33:57 PM »
Working from home tomorrow
:rejoice

Chrono- Yeah, the problem with my remote is that it will randomly stop working properly and the cursor will go down instead of right or left instead of up.  That kind of thing.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3617 on: March 31, 2017, 02:35:39 AM »
(snip)
Chrono- Yeah, the problem with my remote is that it will randomly stop working properly and the cursor will go down instead of right or left instead of up.  That kind of thing.

Why not return it?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3618 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
Ugh. Friday meeting with DBAs. Those guys are insufferable. If I had my way I'd fire nearly all of them.

Reminds me of this one meeting where a DBA was giving me heartburn on a project and I asked a sales guy to come in and I asked him, "Hey Darren, how big is that deal you just closed?  It was 2 million right?"

Darren said yes, I turned to the DBA and said, "He's making us money and you're still sitting here wasting it playing defender of the realm of your ivory tower."

That got my shit done ASAP. Sadly, I can't pull that with client's DBAs.

IT  :yuck
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3619 on: April 01, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
RuPaul's Drag Race is the best reality tv show out there and it's such a pain in the ass to torrent :maf

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3620 on: April 01, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
Ugh. Friday meeting with DBAs. Those guys are insufferable. If I had my way I'd fire nearly all of them.

Reminds me of this one meeting where a DBA was giving me heartburn on a project and I asked a sales guy to come in and I asked him, "Hey Darren, how big is that deal you just closed?  It was 2 million right?"

Darren said yes, I turned to the DBA and said, "He's making us money and you're still sitting here wasting it playing defender of the realm of your ivory tower."

:badass  :woody

IT: :miyamoto  :ego

Without IT: :huh :idont  :crybaby
rub

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3621 on: April 01, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »
RuPaul's Drag Race is the best reality tv show out there and it's such a pain in the ass to torrent :maf

Upload. For. Your. Lives.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3622 on: April 01, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »
And Don't. Fuck it up

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3623 on: April 01, 2017, 07:53:35 PM »

:badass  :woody

IT: :miyamoto  :ego

Without IT: :huh :idont  :crybaby

CS ph.d student here.  I'd be fucked without IT

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3624 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
My company would be fucked without IT as well but... apparently (from what a former employee told me) our system admin/IT guy would be considered sub par in the larger IT world.  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3625 on: April 02, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
My company would be fucked without IT as well but... apparently (from what a former employee told me) our system admin/IT guy would be considered sub par in the larger IT world.  :doge

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. :rejoice
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3626 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »

Put in a ticket and I'll work on it.
rub

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3627 on: April 02, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »

don't like it do that shit yourself  :pacspit
nat

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3628 on: April 02, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Thinking your sales guy makes the money. :heh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3629 on: April 02, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
Thinking your sales guy makes the money. :heh

My first job in the industry (1994), the owner of the company was a Taiwanese hardware engineer didn't understand that a salesman's first job is to sell himself to his boss. He hired two sales guys who couldn't manage to meet our extraordinarily humble minimum sales targets (30,000 units) despite stellar coverage in both Entertainment Weekly and Wired ("Let's not bother with putting that on the box") – I think big-at-that-time Wizard also wrote us up favorably. When he ran out of money, he laid off the production team, but kept the sales guys who hadn't sold anything.

:wtf

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3630 on: April 03, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
I am three weeks and one day away from turning in my last assignment for college and all three classes are piling on the work. One class is so awful. I obviously signed up for the wrong class but I thought it would be easy because it was two hours versus three. It's also a half semester class.

It's about how to get a job. How to present a resume to employers. How to write a resume. How to write a cover letter. What is Microsoft Office?  What is LinkedIn? What does OMG mean? Should you use text abbreviations in emails? Which fork is the salad fork?

I've been in the job market for about 26 years and I have to interview business owners about how they got their first job. They are looking at me like it's a joke.  It is mind numbing and embarrassing but there is so much work that it's even worse somehow.

If you're getting a degree while working do NOT think you can cram in a half semester class and have a job/family/life.
rub

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3631 on: April 03, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »
I just started.

I thought I would work full time and take 4 classes my first semester. Three 12 week classes and one 8 week class. I figured it would be easy since one is a bullshit class similar to yours - how to succeed in college but that's the one that is filled with the most time wasting shit that makes me hate life.

Whatever.  I'm almost done. And then it's 2-3 classes from here on out.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3632 on: April 03, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
I just started.

I thought I would work full time and take 4 classes my first semester. Three 12 week classes and one 8 week class. I figured it would be easy since one is a bullshit class similar to yours - how to succeed in college but that's the one that is filled with the most time wasting shit that makes me hate life.

Whatever.  I'm almost done. And then it's 2-3 classes from here on out.

Yeah, I nearly did the same thing, 4 classes in a summer semester. I would have died.
rub

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3633 on: April 09, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »
Been sick all weekend with a sore throat, headache, and those stupid cold sores on my tongue.  :-\

bluemax

« Reply #3634 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »
People messaging me on LinkedIn congratulating me on my work anniversary for a job I got laid off from a week and a half ago.
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3635 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:22 PM »
Been sick all weekend with a sore throat, headache, and those stupid cold sores on my tongue:-\
You sure those are just cold sores? :hitler
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3636 on: April 11, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »
I've been getting these things way before I lost my v-card.  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3637 on: April 11, 2017, 11:51:26 PM »

Stress? Vitamin deficiency? Have you tested for allergies? One of my friends gets cold sores from chocolate.  :'(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3638 on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »
I get sores from certain brands of chocolate. Mars and Hershey mostly. Which sucks because I love Reese's peanut butter cups. It got so bad, I had to give up all of those kinds of chocolate since last November
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3639 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »
I get sores from certain brands of chocolate. Mars and Hershey mostly. Which sucks because I love Reese's peanut butter cups. It got so bad, I had to give up all of those kinds of chocolate since last November

Trader Joes and Whole Paycheck have "artisan" peanut butter cups which might not make you break out. Just sayin'…

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3640 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Been sick all weekend with a sore throat, headache, and those stupid cold sores on my tongue.  :-\
They're canker sores, which can show up inside the mouth and are not the same as cold sores. They can be triggered from certain food, especially acidic food. Canker sores aren't contagious as opposed to cold sores (which are the blisters on your lips).

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3641 on: April 12, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »
I get the two mixed up all the time.

Stress? Vitamin deficiency? Have you tested for allergies? One of my friends gets cold sores from chocolate.  :'(
It's probably all of the above.

I've never tested for allergies but chocolate does seem to trigger it. And if I eat a lot of wheat or sugar it seems to trigger the canker sores as well. (Beer and other alcoholic beverages can do it as well). But it doesn't happen every time I consume those foods. Maybe once every month or two months I get them.

And I try to only eat those kinds of foods on my cheat day or on special occasions and that's it.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3642 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
I went to panera today to get a loaf of bread and I saw an Asian guy with massive dreadlocks. I didn't know if I could yell at him about cultural appropriation or if I'd be being racist since he was Asian, but then again he was in Panera which is the whitest place you could possibly be.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3643 on: April 12, 2017, 11:43:53 PM »
Should have congratulated him on managing to have them in the first place, given that Asian hair is super straight.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3644 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »
I went to panera today to get a loaf of bread and I saw an Asian guy with massive dreadlocks. I didn't know if I could yell at him about cultural appropriation or if I'd be being racist since he was Asian, but then again he was in Panera which is the whitest place you could possibly be.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3645 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:54 PM »
Maybe he was a transwhite. ┐(´~`)┌

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3646 on: April 15, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
New job has the internet completely locked down. No more slacking off on GAF during downtime. But we at least have 1h for lunch, time to upgrade my data plan.
^_^

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3647 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Maybe he was a transwhite. ┐(´~`)┌

transwhitetrash

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3648 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:43 AM »
Finally going home next weekend. It's been fun in Europe, but 3 weeks without vidya is too much for me. My mom has aged and become a lot more grumpy than last time I saw her. She's far from unbearable, (unlike my dad) but I think in the future maybe my daughter and I should stay with my sister instead. My 11 year old brother has become super exhausting to deal with, which would explain my mom's new perma-mood.

I've got more family shit to bitch about, but it doesn't belong here probably. Just glad I'm going home soon.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3649 on: April 17, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »
New job has the internet completely locked down. No more slacking off on GAF during downtime. But we at least have 1h for lunch, time to upgrade my data plan.

Man, I'd go completely insane without internets.  This should be in the struggle thread.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3650 on: April 17, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
We went to see Fate Of The Furious on Saturday.  My plan was to go early in the morning, but we didn't make it to the theater until around 2:00 PM.  And this was a horrible display of humanity.

-Watched a guy see me strolling towards the ticket booth RUN so he could get there before me.  I laughed since it was empty and there were multiple windows available.
-The place was a dirty, nasty mess.  Right outside the theater room I saw an employee get down on his hands and knees and 'feel up the carpet' to point out where some unexplained stains were.
-The inside of the theater was disgusting.  I guess they were too focused on the spill outside to bother cleaning up all the popcorn and other shit all over the floor.
-Not too many people showed up, but naturally those who did were nice and annoying:
--The Mexican family of 10 with a screaming infant who would not.  Shut.  The.  Fuck.  Up.  For 90% of the movie.  Why the mom didn't take the kid outside is beyond me.
--The mouth-breather sitting to the right of us.
--The dude sitting to the left who didn't silence his phone and let it ring multiple times before leaving to go take the call.
--The kids sitting in front of us who stunk.  One of them also kept his phone out for the first hour and never looked up at the screen.

Could not wait to get out of there.  Not going back to that theater.  Will stick with the much nicer independent one in town going forward.
ど助平

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3651 on: April 17, 2017, 08:42:18 AM »
Who the fuck brings an infant to the movie theaters? I mean I sometimes go to the ママシネマ but that's a screening dedicated specifically for moms with infants, and even has lower sound and stuff. I get not every country has that option, but if your kiddo is bored, scared or won't stop crying, it's time to go home.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3652 on: April 17, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
One thing that was great- In the cliche "we gotta show lots of ASS and cars" scene a few minutes into the movie, all the kids in the crowd went silent and you could hear moms gasping.  :lol :rofl

...The hell are you taking little kids to this movie for?  Idiots.
ど助平

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3654 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
I've really been spoiled by nice movie theaters for a decade now.

It's been years since I went to one where you were checking the seat before you sat down, sticking to the floors as you walked or worried about someone pulling a gun if they got shushed. That used to be the norm.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3655 on: April 17, 2017, 11:54:56 AM »
I've really been spoiled by nice movie theaters for a decade now.

It's been years since I went to one where you were checking the seat before you sat down, sticking to the floors as you walked or worried about someone pulling a gun if they got shushed. That used to be the norm.

Come to Atlanta if you're feeling nostalgic for that crap!  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3656 on: April 17, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Talking to AT&T U-Verse rep:

Me: Hi, I was just checking to see available speeds in my area and noticed that it said 75 Mbps was now being offered at my address, but when I logged onto my account, it only went up to 45.

Rep: That is correct.  I see that your area only has up to 45 down.

Me: But why does it say 75 down if I look at it as a new customer?  (Moreover, it lists it for all the addresses around me.)

Rep: Stops the chat and just puts a link to a generic "notify me when service is available" page.
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3658 on: April 17, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
So I have an early morning meeting with an employee and HR that was setup by HR, no description of what's going on, just a meeting called "touchbase on concerns". Those are never fun, so I call in to see what's the issue. Here's what happened.

Employee: "Puppy, you know that California is looking to pass a law that is making pay equal regardless of gender?"
Me: "Yes"
Employee: "Well, I was hoping we could start that discussion to make my pay equal to my male counterparts."
Me: "Wait. You want to make less?"
Employee: "What?"
Me: "You make more than anyone else in your position."
Employee: "Are you sure?"
HR: "Yes. I looked before when you asked for this meeting. You make 8% more than your closest male counterpart. I also looked and have the average salary for your position in California, which we pay 6% more than the average, not including your benefits. I've just now sent it to you."
Employee: "You could have told me all this BEFORE setting up a meeting with my boss and making me look dumb."

I had to smooth things over. Blah blah blah, you're a valuable employee, blah blah blah let's discuss this more in our one and ones blah blah blah.  But damage is done. Now I have to deal with an HR that's pissed off because they feel that they're just doing their job and were thrown under the bus for it. I get her position that HR could have just told her the data if they had it. I get HR's point that as her manager I needed to be aware. And I also have to deal with an employee who's feeling embarrassed and set up. Not a good way to start a Monday brehs. :goty
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3659 on: April 17, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
:lol :lol :lol