Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084833 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14400 on: December 07, 2017, 01:20:03 AM »
Despite every ep again being directed by Esmail, this doesn’t even look striking anymore.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #14401 on: December 07, 2017, 05:00:40 AM »
Despite every ep again being directed by Esmail, this doesn’t even look striking anymore.
which ep are you on
每天生气

paprikastaude

« Reply #14402 on: December 07, 2017, 05:22:01 AM »
Does anyone know whether there are any other eps of South Park left? Their schedule is really intransparent this year. I thought yesterday was the last one (for the third time or so), but it didn't seem conclusive at all.

TVC15

« Reply #14403 on: December 07, 2017, 05:29:55 AM »
which ep are you on

I quit sometime during the third episode.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14404 on: December 07, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
bad betty on riverdale last night

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14405 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
Does anyone know whether there are any other eps of South Park left? Their schedule is really intransparent this year. I thought yesterday was the last one (for the third time or so), but it didn't seem conclusive at all.
It was, season is over.

They do ten episode seasons.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14406 on: December 07, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
I finished watching all the episodes from Curb Your Enthusiasm and it was the weakest season overall.  Reminds me a lot of Season 5 in terms of how it just kind of meandered around.  Not too many laugh out loud moments, which is pretty disappointing.  I'll always take Curb over no Curb but if this was the last episode, I'm fine with it.
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #14407 on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
Girlfriend and I watched the first episode of Sons of Anarchy... not sure if I'm ready to make a 7 season / 13 episodes a season type commitment yet, nothing really pulled me in with the first episode the way something like Breaking Bad did. Anybody think the show's worth it?
^_^

etiolate

« Reply #14408 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
I think the show is worth it, but I got burnt out/disinterested in season 3. I have heard that s3 is its worst and most distracted season. So I will probably go back to it eventually. I haven't gotten to the Goggins character, so I know there's some good to come.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14409 on: December 07, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
Ffffffuuuuuuuuck Search Party Season 2 is excellent.
zzzzz

TVC15

« Reply #14410 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »

It’s tense! Did you finish it?
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14411 on: December 08, 2017, 09:13:48 AM »

It’s tense! Did you finish it?

There's only the six episodes out at the moment, no? If you meant caught up, yeah I watched the most recent two last night. Everyone's hitting rock bottom hard, and I have a feeling Portia's walking into some Harvey Weinstien shit (which, given that this was probably filmed long before the sexual assault stuff started coming out, is suprisingly timely).
zzzzz

TVC15

« Reply #14412 on: December 08, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »
If you have a cable login, TBS put up all the episodes on their app
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14413 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »
Oh damn. I don't but if they're out there I'm sure I can get at em.
zzzzz

TVC15

« Reply #14414 on: December 08, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
Search Party would probably be far more popular if it was on Netflix. Nobody willingly watches TBS.
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14415 on: December 08, 2017, 03:40:35 PM »
Tru dat, but it probably also means the show's future is pretty secure since TBS isn't likely to drop its only original series with any critical prestige. Michael Showalter et al can probably run with this as long as they want.
zzzzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14416 on: December 09, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »
Just got ripped with wifey and started Kantaro: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman, lol wtf

TVC15

« Reply #14417 on: December 09, 2017, 01:45:07 AM »
Liking Big Mouth so far.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14418 on: December 09, 2017, 01:47:36 AM »
Big Mouth is amazing. Just the right amount of crude to heart. Trust in Nick Kroll.
:9

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14419 on: December 09, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
DirecTV posted the rest of the season of Search Party! My night is set!

That's the show with Maeby from Arrested Development right? I need to watch S1, lot of ppl said it was very good.

I love it. I can see some people not liking the characters, but if you hate white millenials, you’ll probably like it.

i need to watch this
duc

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14420 on: December 09, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »
Alright, downside to Search Party being on TBS and no one caring about it: I can't find the web-only episodes anywhere else :'( No one cares enough to rip em :'(
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14421 on: December 09, 2017, 11:58:55 PM »

Himu

« Reply #14422 on: December 10, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
Finished Godless. Incredible show. Makes you wanna start up a ranch and tame horses and live the quiet, simple life while smoking weed. Def got me in a western mood.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:30:17 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14423 on: December 10, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Dark. Oh man. Shits the Chrono Trigger of time traveling scifi shows. Fuck.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #14424 on: December 10, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
This season of South Park was really good.
rub

Himu

« Reply #14425 on: December 10, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

The shit is actually called Dark?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14426 on: December 10, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »

The shit is actually called Dark?

Germans be getting to the point

Himu

« Reply #14427 on: December 10, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
How can you watch it?
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14428 on: December 10, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
With our eyes

Himu

« Reply #14429 on: December 10, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
Oh, it's on Netflix? Netflix has so many shows now it's impossible to keep up
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14430 on: December 10, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
Oh, it's on Netflix? Netflix has so many shows now it's impossible to keep up

Yeah it popped up like a week ago on Netflix to little fanfare from Netflix. I recommend going to the original German audio and use subs instead of listening to that awful dub.

Tasty

« Reply #14431 on: December 10, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
Started watching Dark. It's neat and has good direction but I think there's too many characters. Or maybe the German names are messing with me.

I like the feel though. It's like, existential horror.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14432 on: December 10, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
Yeah the roster becomes massive, bur there's a point where the show tries to, via editing, make the transitions easier to follow and whos related to who.

And as much of a slow burn as it is, it ramps up ridiculously on the back half. So anyone who gets in, stick with it

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14433 on: December 10, 2017, 09:58:51 PM »

:hyper

Tasty

« Reply #14434 on: December 10, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »
Yeah the roster becomes massive, bur there's a point where the show tries to, via editing, make the transitions easier to follow and whos related to who.

And as much of a slow burn as it is, it ramps up ridiculously on the back half. So anyone who gets in, stick with it

Yeah I just got to that editing part, was pretty neat to see and cleared up a few of my questions. I'm on board with it now though, mostly for Ulrich and Mikkel's journeys. The first ep or two kinda meandered around who was a "main" character. I think suicide son is also sorta important? He hasn't really done anything yet though.

Spoilers up to ep4:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
My roommate remarked "this is a copy of Stranger Things" (missing kid, the police chief going rogue and attempting to break into a research place, the "past" being a version of the Upside-Down where you can *sorta* communicate with the normal world, etc.) and there are definitely similarities. The tone is completely different of course, and there's quite a bit of Lost blended in too in my opinion (mysterious growling unseen "monster," time travel, etc.) Which is great cause I love those two shows haha.
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14435 on: December 10, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »
I know no one here no longer cares, but:

Walking Dead mid-season 8 spoiler:

They're killing Carl off.
[close]

Which is a HUGE departure from the comics. So, I'm going to go ahead and read the rest of the comics now. The thing is, my library doesn't have the Hardcover Compendium volume 11. What issue(s)/trades would I have to go for in the paperback version? Volume 21 or something?

Edit: Nevermind, found the issues I need. Wikipedia to the rescue.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:42:38 PM by thisismyusername »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14436 on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »

dont really like this trailer, cant really make out what this season wants to be about.

benjipwns

« Reply #14437 on: December 11, 2017, 01:14:45 AM »
which ep are you on

I quit sometime during the third episode.
Started watching it as we come down the pike, this was my favorite of the first four I've watched so far. On The Farm with Tyrell. Bearded Tyrell was a hundred times better looking than "Perfect for Elliott" Tyrell.

I love Irving. I hope he's never actually explained beyond a car dealer who's writing an amazing novel that I paused to read and also takes care of stuff for this crazy criminal organization. Even if he is taking away Dom time.

Season has been completely obsessed with repeated shots so far. And speaking of repeated shots, literally, dudes getting shot in a car with the same framing then reveals the shooter.

Glad it finally addressed the time though.

The whole meeting that Whiterose has with the Alex Jones type dude is funny, I liked that she was thinking early about who to support in the 2016 election.

Joanna nooooooo...if anyone can come back from the dead though, it's her.
[close]

I liked in the autopsy scene how Dom was the only one who noticed and reacted to the weirdness of the dude taking endless photos every five seconds. Some of those were probably for that dude's "personal collection" if you know what I mean.

Got spoiled about an upcoming twist before I started, but it's being telegraphed so hard at this point I just want to get to it and past it already.

I want Angela to knock me out with drugs and be continuously left at her place without knowing how I got there.

I do wonder if the show has entered scope creep though, that was always my fear, and this point 4/10 episodes through the third season, all four have essentially promoted a significant scope creep over season two. I'll report more later as this was my key focus. The second season did so well at keeping things low and moving pieces into place, but this seems like it's still doing it but for a higher scale series of events which I don't know it can maintain.

Best touch was revealing that others know/knew about Mr. Robot too. I like those backwards reveals. Really the best stuff the show has done has been all of those.

benjipwns

« Reply #14438 on: December 11, 2017, 01:15:21 AM »
ALSO THOSE DANG CHINESE AND THEIR BITCOIN :maf

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14439 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
Just got ripped with wifey and started Kantaro: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman, lol wtf

This show is pretty great advertising for Japanese tourism, I’ve never wanted to visit more! The eclair episode with his mom will definitely stop me from recommending it publicly tho :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14440 on: December 12, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
Finished s2 of Daredevil. It's kind of a shitshow. I loved it until the end, when it felt like a big rush to get all the big players in one location to finish the season, as forced as the beginning of any 1970s MARVEL TEAM-UP. The pacing of the last few episodes is just horrible.

Karen/Blacksmith/Punisher
Karen Page realizes Clancy Brown is the Blacksmith in the weirdest, dumbest way — Frank's no mathlete, but you'd think he could have figured out more about his CO than Karen does, in the Blacksmith's study, before she's even given a bourbon. But she can't get away from him, they drive some weird distance to the forest, and Frank is leading Blacksmith into the woods, but it happens to be Blacksmith's kill shop? Was this where he was taking Karen? I guess it makes sense, except then it's just complete coincidence that Frank chose the correct side street from which to sideswipe the car.
[close]

Elektra/Stick/The Hand
The idea that Elektra is a (the?) Black Sky is dumb. Stick had previously mercilessly killed one who was just a child, when he and Matt first teamed up at the docks. But Elektra was just a child when Stick found her, I guess he has since decided that a Black Sky is irredeemable… so why heal her at Matt's apartment just to send incompetent killers after her?
[close]
Scott Glenn is perfect in the role of Stick, regardless, but this war arc thing is just poorly presented and the little fake-out/reverse-fake-out at the closing scene was thrilling but utterly cheesy.

Nobu
Daredevil gets his ass stomped in the first fight, where Nobu dies in a fire. But in later fights Nobu's ability seems to wane inexplicably, and I guess being repeatedly resurrected could take it out of you, but it is so unevenly presented.

Also, ninjas kidnapping a busload of previous victims? I swear, I thought that was a Kingpin move when I saw it. Ninjas with guns in a bus? I'm having some thematic dissonance.
[close]

Also, the white chick with the redhead bobbed cut with The Hand has a better Japanese accent than any of the actual Asians in the show. :lol

Himu

« Reply #14441 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
Anything Elektra related in s2 was God awful and the Punisher was the sole redeeming part of the season. Season 1 was considerably better.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14442 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
I watched South Park season premiere last night (late I know) and that was the most pointless take on current events and the rise of white nationalism I have ever seen. What a muddled message after advertising it was about "white nationalism". It's funny to see the show that commented on and went after everything (even drawing Muhammad amid death threats) be so toothless. It's like they've lost their balls as soon as they realized they have a sizable alt-right audience. Pathetic.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14443 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
Remind me what episode that is? There’s some over arching stuff this last season I thought was really good with the Heidi character.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #14444 on: December 12, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
I think that was "White People Renovating Houses" which was a weak opener, but it gets phenomenally better. It would also help towards the end of the season if you gave seen the movie.
rub

Himu

« Reply #14445 on: December 12, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »
Remind me what episode that is? There’s some over arching stuff this last season I thought was really good with the Heidi character.

season 21 opener.

I think that was "White People Renovating Houses" which was a weak opener, but it gets phenomenally better. It would also help towards the end of the season if you gave seen the movie.

Being a fan of the movie helps the season is what you mean?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14446 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »
It heavily references the movie later. And yeah that episode was pretty weak, it gets better

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #14447 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
It heavily references the movie later. And yeah that episode was pretty weak, it gets better

I think just making fun of house flipping/renovation shows it was very funny but it swung and missed on Charlottesville.
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #14448 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
My goodness that Bob's Burgers Christmas special was good.
rub

benjipwns

« Reply #14449 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:19 AM »
oh man i looked into the mr. robot nutty edge fanbase after seeing some comments elsewhere and having instead of pacing myself watching the rest of the season the day after my post above and needing a small hit of some internet crazy

after reading probably ten separate dudes writing extended rants elaborating their anger at the idea that Sam won't reveal at the end of this season that the entire show uses time travel and alternate timelines even though the "best fans" on reddit, avclub, etc. have already been outlining how this will work, then they may be done with the show because it will feel like a betrayal, especially if there's no reveal this season just like the last two seasons never revealed the truth of this being the plot except in [chart of insane MGS fan theories as stand-in for their five page explanations]

when i got a taste of the fanbase last year i thought it was just disappointment at the second season being more about putting pieces in place for this one, but like, they literally think it's some kind of sci-fi show or something, when it's done nothing but hemmed to realistic lines whenever it could go off in another path

literally all the "twists" i've liked and thought of as the real "twists" have been it doing this and relying on Elliott being an unreliable narrator, and the other characters never having a full picture, except Whiterose obv, of events

looking at some of the reddit for example i think the whole Price/Tyrell/Robot conversation flew over the hardest of hardcores heads entirely...they want it so desperately to be another piece of the grand time travel timelines puzzle, not Price pulling what Whiterose did to him to the only people he could do it to (and I would suggest, if there's any further hook to that line, it's Price looking to turn those two against Whiterose not really knowing they already had started down that path nor how exactly they're involved except that they are important)

either that or people really don't understand the concept of FLASHBACKS and FLASHFORWARD/in media res/etc. stories, both there and elsewhere some of the most opinionated people couldn't understand the basic timeline of the episode where Robot leaves a note for Elliott on the mirror...that Elliott finds it, asks what it means along with other clues, then the show shows us pretty explicitly it's the result of Robot's time in control up to when he has to go, so he sends him the most important info which Elliott then sees which returns you to the earlier moment...instead it's all some kind of parallel timelines horseshit rather than simple storytelling

actually that's most of this season, simple storytelling, without the playing around with the medium gimmicks of the prior season...and that was most of the confusion i saw, much like the confusion of the second season's placing of pieces so it could tell this story

even saw some weird ass confusion over the fifth episode, where it's done as one faked long take, first for Elliott, then transitioning over to Angela, before bringing them back together as their stories sync back up finally...and by weird ass i mean, how one long take is really more proof of alternate timelines rather than...you know, someone saying "this is taking place in real time"

maybe it's just disappointment that the show doesn't seem to be headed into some crazy path they all want? even though the show has never been that? down to bothering to get the fucking hacks and websites right, even the ones you can't see on screen without pausing...down to uploading the video of Elliott throwing himself off the pier on Vimeo along with shooting every scene so they were framed together only, well before the show openly confirmed Elliott was Robot, to where even Sam suggested he was surprised that people didn't assume it from very early on in the show (which is imo why the Darlene scene is the actual reveal about the season and who Robot is, with the next episode straight up showing it iirc)

to be fair, the show didn't seem to fully decide that Robot and Elliott were indeed in the same body, with Robot spending time in control, rather than a very strong hallucination of Elliott's until well after season one...season three almost seems to indulge itself in mockingly toying with the ramifications of what such a concept would imply, especially with the episode where he's beating up himself and trashing that computer lab, etc. and even the way Tyrell decides he's too insane to work with (not to mention everyone else finally straight up dropping the pretense and revealing they knew about it once Elliot does, and Irving being all like wtf at this dude :lol)

i love irving, i hope he gets to meet dom, and they run off together as everyone else kills each other off presumably, he works on his book, she talks to Alexa (which a few people were like "ugh, product placement now?" and "why would Darlene be impressed by that?" when it's like did you miss her talking to it last season?!? and how it's still 2015?!? lol) they eat bbq together

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #14451 on: December 13, 2017, 01:30:42 AM »
Hannibal

Great series, how they got away with some of those props I will never understand

Also, homoeroticism

benjipwns

« Reply #14452 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:30 AM »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14453 on: December 13, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
You haven't thought of the smell, you bitch!
:lol :lol :lol

Fuck, Glenn's going to be missed.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14454 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Hannibal

Great series, how they got away with some of those props I will never understand

Also, homoeroticism

:heh :lawd

love this show

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14455 on: December 14, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
Started Netflix' MINDHUNTER; it's been 20 years since I read the book, but the show is an effective dramatization of what I remember. The '70s vibe is strong here, and Fincher's thumbprint is all over the first two episodes. Bliss.

TVC15

« Reply #14456 on: December 14, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14457 on: December 14, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
Don't know if I'll even bother with season 4 of robot, the show has soured on me. such is life!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14458 on: December 14, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
thought finale was great

though the lines vera had at the end kinda triggered me because im the exact kinda cornball that would and has said shit like that before
[close]