Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 893564 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #7680 on: December 30, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »
Remember when KetKat never posted again after getting unbanned?

ResetBanBot

« Reply #7681 on: December 30, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
The mental health thread must be in shambles

benjipwns

« Reply #7682 on: December 30, 2019, 01:15:06 AM »
Well, I mean, it is.

Boredfrom

« Reply #7683 on: December 30, 2019, 01:54:05 AM »
Holy shit, is The Kree.  :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7684 on: December 30, 2019, 01:59:54 AM »
Decided to check the MCU community thread out of curiosity. What are the true cinephiles of pure kino discussing you ask?

Lets say a pregnant woman lost her baby when Thanos snapped his fingers. She's got a womb full of dust. When the snap is undone, she'd suddenly be pregnant again, right? But what if she died in the time between snaps, where does that newly undead baby appear?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvel-cinematic-universe-the-things-they-say-about-her.110740/post-27710124

As they say, real art comes from oppression.
:dead

Bore Expert

« Reply #7685 on: December 30, 2019, 02:29:16 AM »
Matt is an insider and is totally not butthurt

:success

ResetBanBot

« Reply #7686 on: December 30, 2019, 03:12:08 AM »
My fellow tribesmen :gun

I wonder why ResetEra seems so disinterested in this shooting, very unusual.  :what :hans1 :bolo :ufup

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7687 on: December 30, 2019, 04:11:39 AM »
Meme culture is why we have the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker so I wholeheartedly agree.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-hate-memes-and-meme-culture.161951/post-27803513
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7689 on: December 30, 2019, 06:24:24 AM »
CHAINAH

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #7691 on: December 30, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
It seems that people are mostly posting articles, but there isn't much productive or constructive conversation beyond that. As such, the thread is locked.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-worst-video-game-article-written-in-the-2010s.161920/post-27801763

Please don't hurt games journalisms feelings.

Scotch

« Reply #7693 on: December 30, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/datingera-this-isnt-like-one-of-your-animes.666/page-353#post-27805834

Hello Era, I had a very enlightening but also difficult meeting with a woman the other day. We had a conversation that revolved around gender politics, an area where she is very clearly much more knowledgeable and experienced than I.

Fortunately she was patient and was able to clearly explain to me certain aspects of radical feminism. The evening ended with many questions remaining on my part.

She in turn was I think exhausted from the effort she had made to get across ideas and ways of thinking that are still foreign to me.

I thanked her sincerely the next day in a message, after spending part of the night digesting the experience, and she was moved by this. I followed up asking her for some more pointers or a recommendation on a good text on gender politics and radical feminism, but have not heard back from her.

Since I have the day off I was hoping to get in some reading on these subjects, so I'm asking for recommendations in this thread as well.

Specifically, the part I had the greatest difficulty relating to was her attitude towards romantic partnerships between men and women. From her point of view, in an ideal world, men and women should live almost entirely separately, in same-gender or mostly same-gender communities. She seemed very confident of this, which confused me, as we had met on a dating site and she wanted to meet in real life almost right away.

So I'd like to understand what role do men play in society according to radical feminism, and also if possible I'd like to know what fundamental concepts in gender politics should I educate myself upon in order to be able to have more encounters like this in the future?

Thank you.

:social2

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7695 on: December 30, 2019, 08:36:20 AM »
Terry is just letting Disney know he's availible

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7696 on: December 30, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/unfinished-general-leia-scenes-reduced-rose%E2%80%99s-role-says-star-wars-9-writer-chris-terrio.161835/post-27795665

You haven't even explained why you think their actions are not racist.
Why I don't think their actions are racist...
{Long post}

User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns of representation
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7697 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/terry-crews-posts-instagram-photo-of-himself-standing-infront-of-the-chinese-flag-with-the-tag-power-to-the-peoples-%F0%9F%87%A8%F0%9F%87%B3.162015/page-2#post-27805321

It's funny how willing they are to forget that Terry once "put his foot in his mouth" aka, that he thinks gay couples don't make fit parents.

By the way, he never changed his opinion on that. He "apologised for the wording"

https://mobile.twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1101607874109759488

Tasty

« Reply #7698 on: December 30, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/unfinished-general-leia-scenes-reduced-rose%E2%80%99s-role-says-star-wars-9-writer-chris-terrio.161835/post-27795665

{Long post}

This might be the ultimate ResetEra ban. There's literally nothing in this post that warranted that...

Tasty

« Reply #7699 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Again, you are failing to understand that they can do something racist without intending it to be so. All that you said is immaterial to the fact that one of the few times an Asian person was a main character of a blockbuster series, JJ and co decided to revoke that status. You don't seem to understand what systemic racism is and I urge you to do some research in it.

If you contribute to systemic oppresion of minorities, you are at least doing some racist regardless if you had bad intentions or not. JJ and co do not have to overtly hate or feel prejudiced against Asians to do something racist against them. He has a responsibility here, and he failed.

OK I'm out. :badass

Tasty

« Reply #7700 on: December 30, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
They had so little Leia material to work with that I'm having a hard time picturing what hypothetical scenes she could even have with Rose.

"We adore the character, and we adore Kelly – so much so that we anchored her with our favorite person in this galaxy, General Leia."

All I see is "Please don't hate us" from this.

Carrie Fisher died in 2016, which impacted the shooting of TLJ to an extent (iirc, the film might already have been in post-production or on the way to post-production). The justification in saying that they planned to pair Rose and Leia is complete bullshit considering the timing.

Yeah, the way Carrie Fisher's death is used as the catchall/excuse for why the film is a mess is ridiculous.

This guy somehow knows exactly how much Leia footage was usable, and the writer of the film either doesn't or is lying. :dizzy

Rman

« Reply #7701 on: December 30, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »

{Long post}

This might be the ultimate ResetEra ban. There's literally nothing in this post that warranted that...
TLJ made that site crazier than ever.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7702 on: December 30, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
Again, you are failing to understand that they can do something racist without intending it to be so. All that you said is immaterial to the fact that one of the few times an Asian person was a main character of a blockbuster series, JJ and co decided to revoke that status. You don't seem to understand what systemic racism is and I urge you to do some research in it.

If you contribute to systemic oppresion of minorities, you are at least doing some racist regardless if you had bad intentions or not. JJ and co do not have to overtly hate or feel prejudiced against Asians to do something racist against them. He has a responsibility here, and he failed.

I can't think of any action that can't be rationalized as contributing to systemic oppression of minorities in some way

posting on era is racist because:
  • the site attempts to paint itself as by/for minorities in spite of being 99% white and male, and often shouts down legitimate minority voices
  • no matter how regularly they're banned, you're actively spending time in good company of others who gleefully make racist comments like defending disney's destruction of rose, and their racist mindset subtly seeps into your own
  • black culture is relegated to one tiny thread off in etcetera hangouts, segregation exactly how the racists want it, and they're being picked off one by one; don't even start talking about asian or jewish culture
  • era's general standard of lunacy reflects badly on "minority" viewpoints and provides morons with the perfect strawman without having to construct their own
Uncle

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7703 on: December 30, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »

{Long post}

TLJ made that site crazier than ever.

Nah. If you think back they've always been this crazy. Remember when they tried to claim Kingdom Come: Deliverance was racist because the game tried to be as historically accurate as possible? If it seems like they're getting crazier it's only because there's less dissenting opinion as they shave away all the sane members.

It will never not be weird to me that The last Jedi of all things is a platform on the site that you absolutely have to agree with. Like lmao it was a wack movie who cares?

Star Wars is what they use to calibrate their sense of good and evil.

Rman

« Reply #7704 on: December 30, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
Did Royalan leave the site? I'd be surprised if he stayed after he was railroaded by the wackos there.

Tasty

« Reply #7705 on: December 30, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »

I can't think of any action that can't be rationalized as contributing to systemic oppression of minorities in some way

• the site attempts to paint itself as by/for minorities in spite of being 99% white and male, and often shouts down legitimate minority voices
  • no matter how regularly they're banned, you're actively spending time in good company of others who gleefully make racist comments like defending disney's destruction of rose, and their racist mindset subtly seeps into your own
  • black culture is relegated to one tiny thread off in etcetera hangouts, segregation exactly how the racists want it, and they're being picked off one by one; don't even start talking about asian or jewish culture
  • era's general standard of lunacy reflects badly on "minority" viewpoints and provides morons with the perfect strawman without having to construct their own

Why stop there?

- The computer or phone you're viewing RE on was not created ethically
- The electricity spent on accessing RE contributes to climate change
- Ad-based sites are inherently unethical and exploitative (said by someone who worked in adtech)
- The forum software running RE is nonfree

Etc. etc.

At the end of the day it's people getting off on feeling holier-than-thou. And what's better than feeling holier than a blockbuster director who you believe wronged you?

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #7706 on: December 30, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »

All according to plan. That’s exactly what they’re seeking with redefining terms and definitions so they can do the six degrees of racism on anything anyone says or does. All depends if it gets enough attention to reach that critical mass of offense.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7707 on: December 30, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »

ResetBanBot

« Reply #7708 on: December 30, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »
I'm pretty happy about Terry Crews getting cancelled. There's nothing more reddit than Terry Crews.

Hermit

« Reply #7709 on: December 30, 2019, 11:16:50 AM »
A more powerful console doesn't mean squat at the end of the day if your exclusives suck (or are also available on PC day 1).

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7710 on: December 30, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
A more powerful console doesn't mean squat at the end of the day if your exclusives suck (or are also available on PC day 1).

Xbox waves hello!

Rman

« Reply #7711 on: December 30, 2019, 11:49:46 AM »
I've noticed Era doesn't have much new members joining or making threads. It's same 40 or so people shouting at each other.
(Image removed from quote.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nobody check the R squared of this line please.
[close]

Well, ERA is very insular.  Anytime new posters post and don't fit the narrative, you have idiots mentioning their post counts. It's combative and unwelcoming.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7712 on: December 30, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/am-i-the-only-one-whos-absolutely-bored-of-the-current-disney-star-wars-ot-handwankery.162022/

yes, Off Topic is almost unreadable with all the sperging out about fucking star wars right now.

Oh, right, not what you meant at all.

jorma

« Reply #7713 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »

Someone lacking critical information might think this is some sort of "gotcha" but you are disingenuously not mentioning one of the bedrocks of Resetera, the one argument that turns your indictment of ree into self ownage territory: "IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT WHEN WE DO IT, SHITLORD"

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7714 on: December 30, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
fuck  :duh
Uncle

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #7715 on: December 30, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-playstation-5-xbox-series-x-new-gpu-spec-leak-analysis-9-2tf-vs-12tf.162038/page-14#post-27813621

Digital Foundry believes the new Xbox will be stronger than PS5. They must be shills.

DF create videos to make money. The guys have to be paid for their analysis. The more videos, the more revenue.

It’s a shame they’ve become a bit spammy in the past year (Directs and Let’s Plays) but I get the hussle especially after the ad pocolypse.

Yeah DF seems to be headed down a dark path with this nonsense. How are they any better than all the other clickbait sites when they’re peddling the same exact shit? They could have just waited for Sony to reveal the PS5 specs which is very soon and go from there. This smells of desperation.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #7716 on: December 30, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »

:doge

« Reply #7717 on: December 30, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:12:50 PM by ldcommando (notthegafone) »

« Reply #7718 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7719 on: December 30, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
I get that Better Call Saul is coming out 2020 but the fact that this year is ending with the two most popular shows as Witcher and Mandalorian does not leave me hopeful for the future of tv.

« Reply #7720 on: December 30, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
I get that Better Call Saul is coming out 2020 but the fact that this year is ending with the two most popular shows as Witcher and Mandalorian does not leave me hopeful for the future of tv.

Yep. I dropped pretty much all tv shows. Waiting for BCS and the secong half of the last bojack season. (did not enjoy the first half that much)

Everything sucks :rage :rage :rage

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7721 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
2 hit combo:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/biden-says-he-would-consider-a-republican-vp-candidate-in-a-hypothetical-unity-ticket.162088/

Fuck Biden and his 1980s style of politics

:noooo :noooo
 :six: :six:

Clearly, there's 0% chance he'd actually do that, and deep down everyone in that thread knows it. He's just trying to appeal to independents and moderates.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7722 on: December 30, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »

:confused

I'm legit sat here like... are you fucking gaslighting me era mods?

That dudes ban history and his "Severe Ban" (sic) is apparently he got a week for
DO YOU RIKE IT
a year and a half ago?

benjipwns

« Reply #7723 on: December 30, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
Did Royalan leave the site? I'd be surprised if he stayed after he was railroaded by the wackos there.
Neither KetKat nor Royalan probably felt safe enough to post again on a site with such hateful acephobic arophobic staff members around who were protected and never named. They even scared off freedom fighters like FeistyBoots and Kyuuji from demanding to know when all the new diverse moderators will finally be added. And nobody seems to be interested in implementing the trackers to make sure that members aren't also visiting other hate sites secretly.

It's become really scary since Cerium dissolved the LLC which made it permanently impossible for one person to own the site.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #7724 on: December 30, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »

:confused

I'm legit sat here like... are you fucking gaslighting me era mods?

That dudes ban history and his "Severe Ban" (sic) is apparently he got a week for
DO YOU RIKE IT
a year and a half ago?

Right? It's impressive that they looked at that picture and concluded that only difference between old an new is that there's a female character in the bottom left corner

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7725 on: December 30, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-we-become-too-reliant-on-alcohol.161840/

nofunallowed.jpg

This is NOT being “allergic”.

What the fuck. I mean there are people who truly cant drink a sip because it means death to them (due to medication) or who have a real allergic reaction.

Getting a headache and feeling awful might be bad to you, but do not compare it to an allergic reaction.

That’s lack of respect and insulting towards those who have a allergic reaction.

:rofl

Ever since I’ve turned 21 I’ve fucking dreaded going out. All anyone ever wants to do is go to a bar/club!!! And/or waste money eating expensive garbage.
:existential

That whole thread is great... Era has such a weird relationship with alcohol. Like, there are a shit ton of perfectly valid reasons why someone would abstain, but they are so quick to give themselves a medal and boast about it. And of course Era is totally extreme about it - either people completely abstain or they are getting piss drunk and waking up in pools of their own vomit... the concept of people having a glass of wine with a nice dinner, or a pint at the local dive bar to unwind is lost on them.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #7726 on: December 30, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »

{Long post}

This is a good example of just how much the staff of ResetERA.com refuse to do the bare minimum to protect marginalized posters. These should be permanent. They aren't going to stop being a racist in two weeks. They aren't spend those two weeks learning about why their bigotry is wrong. They probably won't even watch The Last Jedi once, let alone five or six times as is appropriate in a two week span. They're just going to stalk the forum from the shadows and visit hate sites that fuel their violent ideology and probably buy some games in the GOG Winter Sale to help promote the Nazi Empire of Poland's transphobic "Cyberpunk" hate speech. They'll probably even watch YouTube videos which is a gateway drug to Nazi ideology. Then the ban will be up and they'll be able to continue to threaten the safety of marginalized posters.

As Cerium once said before he chose to throw away everything to chase Big Conservative Money™ on his path to likely endorsing Trump for his pro-ace/aro-genocide agenda: "It all stops now. Do not complain that you were not warned."

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7727 on: December 30, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
the bounter hunter jobber patrol from Empire Strikes Back finally gonna get their time to shine

you shut your whore mouth

[close]

also time to #cancel the mandalorian for also not giving two shits about shitty rose and era getting their hopes up for no fucking reason other than to complain when they don't get met. AGAIN.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7728 on: December 30, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
the bounter hunter jobber patrol from Empire Strikes Back finally gonna get their time to shine

you shut your whore mouth

[close]

also time to #cancel the mandalorian for also not giving two shits about shitty rose and era getting their hopes up for no fucking reason other than to complain when they don't get met. AGAIN.

What do you want?  A scene where the Mandalorian and Rose's mom get it on and you find out that Rose Tico and her sister are the children of a bounty hunter?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7729 on: December 30, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
That the greatest character yet created in the star wars franchise, who cameoed in the greatest film in the star wars franchise, written and directed by the greatest director alive, gets the screentime to prove how great they are.

#justiceforrose

also 5 more tickets to see Cats, the second greatest film of this decade. #protectwhatyoulove

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #7730 on: December 30, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
If Rose gets a Disney+ series instead of Doctor Aphra I'll laugh so hard

Hermit

« Reply #7731 on: December 30, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
I hope she does so they all realize just how pointless her character truly is

Tasty

« Reply #7732 on: December 30, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »

Actually if the series is really good, like really really good, would people do a 180 and thank Disney for the series and for cutting her from TROS so the series could happen? Or would they just find another reason to shit on Disney?

Hmmm :thinking

Hermit

« Reply #7733 on: December 30, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »

Actually if the series is really good, like really really good, would people do a 180 and thank Disney for cutting her from TROS so the series would eventually happen?
Absolutely.

JJ THE GOD!!! THANKS FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!

« Reply #7734 on: December 30, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »
I'm honestly really confused about what's happened with the Star Wars fanbase divide. Like, at the time I mostly enjoyed The Last Jedi and didn't really get a lot of the vitriol that was directed at the movie even if I could concede that there were some iffy parts. And looking at the spoilers for Rise of Skywalker I think it mostly sounds kind of stupid but at the same time it sounds like it's dumb fun if you can get past its stupidity so I'm not surprised that a lot of the people I've talked to in real life seem to mostly like it. But online at places like ResetEra there's this legit battleground where some people are convinced that TLJ is nothing short of a masterpiece and the only criticism it gets is from agenda-driven pieces of human garbage. Or conversely there's this contingency of people that think that The Last Jedi was worse than the prequels and if IX sucks it's only because Rian Johnson completely shit all over Star Wars' legacy and JJ had nowhere to go with this one.

As someone that thought 7 and 8 were both just "ok but nothing special" films it's really bizarre to watch.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7735 on: December 30, 2019, 05:17:23 PM »
Personally i thought The Last Jedi was a really shitty movie, but on the other hand i don't want to put all minorities in internment camps, so i have this battle raging within me...

« Reply #7736 on: December 30, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
They're also the same people who would swear anyone who didn't like Ghostbusters 2016 was an alt-right misogynist troll until people stopped caring about that "battle" and most of them also admit it did indeed suck.

Right, but this kind of goes both ways. That's sort of what I don't get. Like, it's not just progressives that are championing these films. There's also people that hate Ghostbusters 2016 that will spend an inordinate amount of time assuring you that their reasons for hating the movie are completely legitimate and grounded in appreciation for the craft of filmmaking when it seems like the correct play would just be to note "I thought the movie sucked" and then move on with your life and not get roped into the social proxy war in regards to a fucking Ghostbusters movie. The same thing happened with Joker where if ResetEra came across as insane for thinking the movie should be banned there were just as many people that seemed interested in it only to rile up the Era-types of the world. Championing a dumb comic book movie to own the libs, if you will.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7737 on: December 30, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
I'm honestly really confused about what's happened with the Star Wars fanbase divide. Like, at the time I mostly enjoyed The Last Jedi and didn't really get a lot of the vitriol that was directed at the movie even if I could concede that there were some iffy parts. And looking at the spoilers for Rise of Skywalker I think it mostly sounds kind of stupid but at the same time it sounds like it's dumb fun if you can get past its stupidity so I'm not surprised that a lot of the people I've talked to in real life seem to mostly like it. But online at places like ResetEra there's this legit battleground where some people are convinced that TLJ is nothing short of a masterpiece and the only criticism it gets is from agenda-driven pieces of human garbage. Or conversely there's this contingency of people that think that The Last Jedi was worse than the prequels and if IX sucks it's only because Rian Johnson completely shit all over Star Wars' legacy and JJ had nowhere to go with this one.

As someone that thought 7 and 8 were both just "ok but nothing special" films it's really bizarre to watch.

Its just eras ongoing abuse of the transitive property to pigeonhole everything into a stupid fucking culture war that only massive arseholes are engaged in

"oh, some racist dicks were racist dicks to an actress on twitter? By the transtiive property, that makes everyone who didn't like that character a racist dick, and also by the same property I'm not racist so will constantly harrass anyone who didn't like them #doingmypart"

Tasty

« Reply #7738 on: December 30, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
Ghostbusters 2016 fucking sucked so hard. I can't believe I saw it opening week in theaters. :rkelly

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #7739 on: December 30, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Ghostbusters 2016 fucking sucked so hard. I can't believe I saw it opening week in theaters. :rkelly

You were there for Chris Hemsworth, admit it  :smug

Seriously though i have not watched that movie but i don't really care about Ghostbusters (the first 2 movies were alright)  :shh