Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 614500 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #4740 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:15 PM »
So really, black people need to pay reparations to us.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4741 on: June 10, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4742 on: June 10, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
So really, black people need to pay reparations to us.

I admit, I didn't expect slavery is really a multi-generational unpaid internship talking point to come out of all of this.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4743 on: June 10, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »

Oblivion

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #4747 on: June 11, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
Gotta love how Dave has so many homophobic followers and acquaintances

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4748 on: June 11, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
Gotta love how Dave has so many homophobic followers and acquaintances

They're all fine with it.
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4749 on: June 11, 2020, 11:32:25 PM »
Glenn Greenwald wrote a whole ass piece chiding public health experts for not denouncing the protests :dead
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4750 on: June 12, 2020, 02:24:41 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4753 on: June 12, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
We used to just call those such people attention whores  :idont
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4754 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »

The wankest of dads  :rejoice

Watched about an hour so far, some interesting stuff about how young talent gets fucked over in the entertainment business.
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #4755 on: June 12, 2020, 09:01:56 PM »
Watched about an hour so far, some interesting stuff about how young talent gets fucked over in the entertainment business.

What's the timecode on that?

Oh wait they're talking about podcasts  :nope
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:07:47 PM by Transhuman »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #4756 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-media-is-destroying-itself

Da free press is dead 😭😭😭

But police violence, and Trump’s daily assaults on the presidential competence standard, are only part of the disaster. On the other side of the political aisle, among self-described liberals, we’re watching an intellectual revolution. It feels liberating to say after years of tiptoeing around the fact, but the American left has lost its mind. It’s become a cowardly mob of upper-class social media addicts, Twitter Robespierres who move from discipline to discipline torching reputations and jobs with breathtaking casualness.

The leaders of this new movement are replacing traditional liberal beliefs about tolerance, free inquiry, and even racial harmony with ideas so toxic and unattractive that they eschew debate, moving straight to shaming, threats, and intimidation. They are counting on the guilt-ridden, self-flagellating nature of traditional American progressives, who will not stand up for themselves, and will walk to the Razor voluntarily.

Love the equivalence drawn in the opening paragraphs between the pandemic, endemic police brutality, Trump's presidency and...internal drama at legacy media outlets

horseshoe theory but for the 00s anti-establishment left and contemporary wank-daddery and the convergence spot is news media navel gazing

God that piece is embarrassing. And I used to like Taibbi  :existential

Oblivion

« Reply #4757 on: June 12, 2020, 10:55:13 PM »
what the hell happened to taibbi? i didn't think he would be the kind of person who would  want to apply for membership to the IDW  :fbm
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:04:02 AM by Oblivion »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4758 on: June 12, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
maybe its a natural response to feeling his position at the vanguard of left-liberal moralizing becoming more and more displaced by rose emoji twitter? dunno if thats an accurate description of the facts on the ground but its def what taibbi thinks is happening.

might be interesting if other scions of the bush era media resistance felt similarly

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4759 on: June 12, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »
Matt Taibbi turned 50 this year. He's a white guy. He went to an elite prep school and then to Bard College. His dad's a network TV reporter. He's got some pretty problematic shit in his catalog.

It'd be weird if he didn't react like this.

Oblivion

« Reply #4760 on: June 13, 2020, 12:05:08 AM »
i've primarily known taibbi for his great work taking on wall street and his brutal rhetoric. he never struck me as a dumb decorum lib.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4761 on: June 13, 2020, 12:09:29 AM »
All those pieces about how civility is bad have been written and shared by people who imagined they'd be the ones yelling, not the ones being yelled at.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4762 on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:47 AM »
yeah, we probably shouldn’t underestimate how a lot of the progressive left media personalities grew up with the same upwardly aspiring, cosmopolitan urbanity that the older generations did too. they’re just as bourgeois as the civility libs, but more dovish because of the iraq war and more egalitarian because of the financial crisis and rising inequality.

shosta

« Reply #4763 on: June 13, 2020, 12:37:47 AM »
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4764 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:06 AM »
Today's the day you want to claim him?

shosta

« Reply #4765 on: June 13, 2020, 12:42:18 AM »
I don't get to choose. Pinoy recognize pinoy :hmph
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #4767 on: June 13, 2020, 12:44:54 AM »
If it makes you feel better, we're going to try to trade him in the next racial draft
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4770 on: June 13, 2020, 10:59:08 PM »

This was a trip

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4771 on: June 13, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »
https://www.nedeljnik.rs/jordan-peterson-seeks-treatment-in-serbia-nedeljnik-can-reveal/
The Canadian psychology professor Jordan Peterson is currently in Belgrade and undergoing treatments in an unnamed clinic in the Serbia’s capital, the weekly news magazine Nedeljnik can reveal.

His daughter Mikhaila is with him and spoke to Nedeljnik about his ongoing fight with the addiction to anti-anxiety medication.

“We will be here for at least a couple of months”, Mikhaila told Nedeljnik in a wide-ranging interview in Belgrade that will be published in the next issue of Nedeljnik.

They flew in to Belgrade from Florida last week.

She said Mr Peterson was feeling better and that the family is satisfied with the first round of therapy.

Peterson’s family sought treatment for his “physical dependency” to benzodiazepine in Russia in February, after failed attempts in North America.

Peterson will make a video explaining the details of his ordeal in the next week, Mikhaila Peterson told Nedeljnik.

shosta

« Reply #4772 on: June 14, 2020, 01:31:45 AM »
Is he going to go into a coma again
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4773 on: June 14, 2020, 04:50:28 AM »
If he'd just not been too proud to taper off his meds we wouldn't have to contend with lesser Wank Dads.

I expect some quack "healer" to be involved, just because it's Serbia.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4774 on: June 14, 2020, 04:52:36 AM »
Serbia or Great Serbia ?
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4775 on: June 14, 2020, 04:57:43 AM »
Yes.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4776 on: June 14, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
Fuck just listening about Dave Rubin meltdown in late 2019 because of a fucking joke that was up for a handful of minutes about a photo of a steak he posted. :lol

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1195211375376658432

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/dave-rubin-steak-prank/

@google @jack got a policy on this !? :karen
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:18:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4777 on: June 14, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »

shosta

« Reply #4778 on: June 14, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
Harry Potter ruins Harry Potter
每天生气

Tripon

Oblivion

« Reply #4780 on: June 14, 2020, 04:20:10 PM »
https://www.nedeljnik.rs/jordan-peterson-seeks-treatment-in-serbia-nedeljnik-can-reveal/
The Canadian psychology professor Jordan Peterson is currently in Belgrade and undergoing treatments in an unnamed clinic in the Serbia’s capital, the weekly news magazine Nedeljnik can reveal.

His daughter Mikhaila is with him and spoke to Nedeljnik about his ongoing fight with the addiction to anti-anxiety medication.

“We will be here for at least a couple of months”, Mikhaila told Nedeljnik in a wide-ranging interview in Belgrade that will be published in the next issue of Nedeljnik.

They flew in to Belgrade from Florida last week.

She said Mr Peterson was feeling better and that the family is satisfied with the first round of therapy.

Peterson’s family sought treatment for his “physical dependency” to benzodiazepine in Russia in February, after failed attempts in North America.

Peterson will make a video explaining the details of his ordeal in the next week, Mikhaila Peterson told Nedeljnik.

i'll believe it when i see it

Oblivion

« Reply #4781 on: June 14, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
yeah, why go to serbia if the medical system of russia was originally claimed to be miraculous enough?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4782 on: June 14, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
Going to Russia to get put into a coma and then going to Serbia because of an addiction to benzos is about as sus as you can possibly get

Check you Western-centric bias. :wag

But yeah, it seems they're hell bent on alternative treatments, away from public attention, possibly (though that one is a bit of fancy reaching) with some sentimentality / vague political alignments thrown in.
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4783 on: June 14, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »

Oblivion

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #4785 on: June 15, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »
I should have called it these dudes always run to Chomsky in any dispute with the left

Oblivion

« Reply #4786 on: June 15, 2020, 12:54:19 AM »
chomsky is trending on twitter now  :lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:15:14 AM by Oblivion »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4787 on: June 15, 2020, 01:57:42 AM »
I should have called it these dudes always run to Chomsky in any dispute with the left

I honestly have a better knowledge of Chomsky as this sacred cow that get begged into being used as cover (infamously prefacing a book that was pretty transparently Holocaust denial, for instance) than his actual work.
:lol
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Tripon

« Reply #4789 on: June 15, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »

Oblivion

« Reply #4790 on: June 15, 2020, 03:33:20 PM »
my man, nathan j. robinson has a nice takedown of the taibbi drama:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/06/has-the-american-left-lost-its-mind

also, i had no idea taibbi also sided with tom fucking cotton in the recent NYT kerfuffle. looks like the lad is too far gone at this point :fbm

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4791 on: June 15, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »
my man, nathan j. robinson has a nice takedown of the taibbi drama:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/06/has-the-american-left-lost-its-mind

also, i had no idea taibbi also sided with tom fucking cotton in the recent NYT kerfuffle. looks like the lad is too far gone at this point :fbm

Robinson's pretty good when he's staying away from the void of screaming insanity that is Democratic Party internal politics.

Someone on Twitter said that Taibbi's personality made him susceptible to "Hitchens brain" and I think that describes a common thread through the IDW guys, older New Republic types like Andrew Sullivan, and left-adjacent controversialists like Michael Tracey: a commitment to contrarianism and the belief that they're lonely voices bravely calling out a corrupt power structure, combined with a difficulty distinguishing between actual important power centers and their own social circles*.

Assimilate's schtick of "yeah Trump's not good, but these fucking sjw tumblr girls are the REAL problem" was basically the coloring-book version of the same thing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Or depending on their level of apostasy, their former social circles. The Former Leftist Media Personality grift is like making a career out of posting in the shit thread.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:08:46 PM by Mandark »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4792 on: June 15, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
Taibbi called people "Twitter Robespierres" as a diss. He's been published in Jacobin!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4793 on: June 15, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
Taibbi called people "Twitter Robespierres" as a diss. He's been published in Jacobin!

Well, to be fair, Robespierre left them as soon as 1794.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:22:49 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4794 on: June 15, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
alright, so i bothered to look up the david shor article:
I show empirically that disruption seeds mainstream news agendas and that tactics influence the types of issue frames adopted by media.

Protests are typically contentious events in which media have considerable latitude to emphasize a range of interpretations (Davenport 2009). For example, both nonviolent and violent protests often involved illegal acts that could be described in terms that suggest either civil disobedience or criminal behavior. Similarly, no bright line distinguishes nonviolent and violent disturbances. Many nonviolent events were suffused with violence initiated by police and white civilians, while many events that escalated to protester-initiated violence often began as relatively peaceful, nonviolent affairs. This ambiguity allows for reporting to vary even for factually similar situations. Framing theory suggests that as journalists compose news stories, they rely on recurring organizing ideas and themes that structure how the public makes sense of a story and, often, imply particular public policies

Around the world, subordinate group activists confront powerful dominant groups and face difficult choices about whether and how to assert their interests. Strategies like nonviolent disruption can grow sympathetic coalitions but may also result in humiliation, injury and death at the hands of police, soldiers and vigilantes. More nationalist-oriented strategies like responding to police violence in- kind can directly counter repression and capture the attention of elites but risk alienating potential allies and provoking even greater social control. In the 1960s, African American activists and thinkers deliberated over both strategies. Ella Baker (2003) and Bayard Rustin (1965) helped organize nonviolent civil disobedience while Malcolm X argued, “I don’t even call it violence when it’s self- defense, I call it intelligence” (1969, 313). A substantial body of work in political science suggests we should expect no meaningful political consequences to follow subordinate group agitation. The results of this article suggest that statistical minorities in stratified democracies can overcome structural biases to influence and frame the news, direct elite discourse, sway public opinion and win at the ballot box. For subordinate groups in democratic polities, though, tactics matter. An “eye for an eye” in response to violent repression may be moral, but this research suggests it may not be strategic.

so it seems like it anticipates some of robinson’s complaints, but doesn’t really have an answer for them. what the technocrolibs are forgetting here is that robinsons point is that the decision on the part of the media to frame riots in a certain way is a morally negligent one and should be countered. which itself might be dumb and a bad use of resources, but it’s not an indictment against statistical research. the criticisms seem to be zeroing in on the choice to label it “bad science” rather than the normative upshot of the passage. it might still be “bad science”, whether for all the normal reasons you’d expect something to be bad science (data manipulation/selection, invalid inferences; none of which any of the interlocutors has bothered to follow up on) or because ‘science’ in this domain has a certain irreducible normative element that shor neglected to account for (the argument here would be one of robinson having a thick vs the voxers having a thin understanding of what knowledge production in the social sciences is supposed to be).

again, these people are prob just talking past each other

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4795 on: June 15, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4796 on: June 15, 2020, 05:31:53 PM »
My take right now is Shor's firing is bad but also shouldn't get rolled in with the NYT editorial thing and the Lee Fang twitterpile as a grand unifying narrative.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #4797 on: June 15, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
Professor Tenure  :lol :lol :lol

Also, interesting website https://www.churchmilitant.com/

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler