Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 614803 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #5220 on: July 15, 2020, 12:27:55 AM »
It felt similar to the NYT Cotton op-ed thing, where people had been keeping their mouth shut about upper management for a while but it finally boiled over. Nicole Cliffe was offering to pay writers who wanted to pull their pieces from Harper's but worried about losing money. I miss Cliffe, she had the only good Twitter account.

Also, Roiphe being at the center of a controversy for writing some anti-feminist magazine feature bolsters my belief that we're rerunning a bunch of the 90's culture wars.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #5221 on: July 15, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »
It felt similar to the NYT Cotton op-ed thing, where people had been keeping their mouth shut about upper management for a while but it finally boiled over. Nicole Cliffe was offering to pay writers who wanted to pull their pieces from Harper's but worried about losing money. I miss Cliffe, she had the only good Twitter account.

Also, Roiphe being at the center of a controversy for writing some anti-feminist magazine feature bolsters my belief that we're rerunning a bunch of the 90's culture wars.

Lol, i remember Etoilet arguing about people misrepresenting what JP was saying in an interview with Camille Paglia around the same time too.
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5224 on: July 15, 2020, 05:18:34 AM »
Soral is the most wank daddish Frenchman (down to also holding a Swiss citizenship), as most other examples are more in the pseudo-legitimate realm of media punditry but there's enough there (and around him) to explain why I was always kind of blasé about the whole "GamerGate/Alt-Right" (aka the Far-Right) thing, especially as something novel or a game changer. A lot of it was close to 1:1 what has been happening in France (and Western Europe, probably) just a few years prior. I'm sure some scholars looked into that and if it was to some extent imported by US Far-Right activists or just the natural slope we're on. Everything is bigger in the America, there was already a fertile soil to work with and I suspect a lot more permeability in the Republican party which is why it grew into a cottage industry so fast.

Maybe I'm reading that thing wrong but the recent "Alt-Right" turn in the US seems a lot more piloted by actual cryptofascists, neofacists and neonazis than the Tea Party.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:24:45 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5225 on: July 15, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5227 on: July 15, 2020, 05:39:18 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5228 on: July 15, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
Was Fauci politized by any of the other presidents he's worked under

I don't know the context of his nomination by Reagan, maybe there was some political intent by the administration and in the context of AIDS. Fauci is not unfamiliar with getting some severe public heat but not by his bosses AFAIK.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5230 on: July 15, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
"my husband (she/him)"

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5232 on: July 15, 2020, 06:43:23 PM »
BAN THE POLES AND KILL THEM

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5233 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/nickstatt/status/1283510283281895426

Someone found the keys to the Twitter kingdom
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5234 on: July 15, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
Easy, Adolfiller
BAN THE STRO AND KILL HIM  :ltg

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5237 on: July 16, 2020, 11:16:17 AM »
Getting close to Alex Jones "I have experienced more racism directed at me than any black man currently alive."
 :hulk
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5238 on: July 16, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5239 on: July 16, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5240 on: July 16, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »

filler annihilated

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5241 on: July 16, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
ὕβρις

Oblivion

« Reply #5242 on: July 16, 2020, 02:56:33 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5244 on: July 16, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
And I'm wank y'all and I'm wank wankity wank.
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5245 on: July 16, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
that's pure, unadulterated wank... like an immaculate crystal... beautiful...
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #5246 on: July 17, 2020, 09:05:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/1283188578093355008

backing up race realists to own the libs

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5247 on: July 17, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
Harry Potter fans get the mockery but they've got nothing on wank daddies and 1984.

Nuitangg

shosta

« Reply #5249 on: July 17, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
Is there a geographical map of us counties with area proportionate to population? I saw that dumb fucking Ben Shapiro tweet and I'm tired of incidence maps just being population maps
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5250 on: July 17, 2020, 11:37:03 PM »
There are two ur-choropleths of the US which explain >90% of the other choropleths people make: population density and percent of black residents.

(this insight stolen directly from Kieran Healy)

Oblivion

« Reply #5251 on: July 17, 2020, 11:38:19 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5252 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:47 PM »
Is there a geographical map of us counties with area proportionate to population? I saw that dumb fucking Ben Shapiro tweet and I'm tired of incidence maps just being population maps

dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5253 on: July 17, 2020, 11:47:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/racefortheprize/status/1284265158005514241

YOU DON'T SAY? :neogaf

Looks like TCW said this on the Taibbi/Halper podcast as a guest.

Semi-related, did anyone listen to the Chapo episode Taibbi was on recently? I only know about it cause of the Twitter backlash to stuff he and Amber Frost said on there.

Oblivion

« Reply #5254 on: July 17, 2020, 11:53:23 PM »

shosta

« Reply #5255 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #5256 on: July 18, 2020, 12:14:07 AM »

Oblivion

« Reply #5257 on: July 18, 2020, 12:18:56 AM »
i'd like to know who's the kind of person that is fine endorsing bari weiss and david frum, but glenn greenwald was a step too far :dead

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5258 on: July 18, 2020, 12:25:53 AM »
Probably just Bari herself.

benjipwns

« Reply #5259 on: July 18, 2020, 01:53:52 AM »
Is it just because they don't like him? Because I understand that with Glenn. But if it's because of his views what could they possibly be? Looking at the list of people who were acceptable the only thing that he doesn't share with at least one other person on there seems to be that he's gay married with kids in Brazil and also a Russiafraudlies skeptic. And that's with a glance of the names I do recognize, not an actual looking into most of these people I don't even recognize.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5260 on: July 18, 2020, 02:12:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/1283188578093355008

backing up race realists to own the libs

If someone thinks the research he was doing would lead to racist conclusions, then they must genuinely think that some races might be inferior to others.

Oblivion

« Reply #5261 on: July 18, 2020, 02:17:33 AM »
Probably just Bari herself.

you know, i was chuckling at the thought, but the more i thought about, the more i could legit believe that would be the case. for all glenn's faults, he was one of bari's most ardent critics early on, and he wrote the article that plenty of leftists link to to this very day to dunk on her. so take bari's animosity and add her narcissism and complete lack of self-awareness to the equation, and i can totally see her doing it. plus bari cancelling someone in the quest to denounce cancel culture would be 100% on brand for her.  :heh

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5262 on: July 18, 2020, 02:25:26 AM »
There was clearly an inner circle with the letter, and Bari was almost definitely part of that. TCW already is on record kicking someone out of his house for talking shit on Bari, so...

Is it just because they don't like him? Because I understand that with Glenn. But if it's because of his views what could they possibly be? Looking at the list of people who were acceptable the only thing that he doesn't share with at least one other person on there seems to be that he's gay married with kids in Brazil and also a Russiafraudlies skeptic. And that's with a glance of the names I do recognize, not an actual looking into most of these people I don't even recognize.

no way, that would imply this was primarily an exercise in social-professional cliquishness in a subset of the media class rather than a principled stand on free speech

benjipwns

« Reply #5263 on: July 18, 2020, 02:26:34 AM »
Has anyone actually watched the podcast or seen elsewhere where it might be discussed what started, led to and organized this whole Open Letter™? Was it just this dude? Did Rowling order it from her TERF lair? etc.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5264 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:05 AM »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #5265 on: July 18, 2020, 02:42:19 AM »
https://worldmapper.org/maps/

Oblivion

« Reply #5266 on: July 18, 2020, 03:02:37 AM »
Has anyone actually watched the podcast or seen elsewhere where it might be discussed what started, led to and organized this whole Open Letter™? Was it just this dude? Did Rowling order it from her TERF lair? etc.

i listened to the Chatterson podcast, but i don't recall offhand hearing them talk about specifically what led to it.

taibbi also had some really weird takes. he was complaining for most of the beginning by saying the problem with the NYT was that they hired a bunch of stuffy, careerist liberals who lost touch with "the common man", and because they lack diversity, they hire people like bari weiss, because that's what they think conservatives are. and after this screed about how the problem with the media is that it's run by a bunch of elitist liberals, that's when they introduce...chatterton, who taibbi says exactly the kind of person the media needs right now.  :thinking  the entire screen was an incoherent mess

Oblivion

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5268 on: July 18, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »

The cycle of this is pretty interesting.

The Tea Party appeared, Trump and friends hijacked the Tea Party.
Qanon appeared, Qanon hijacked the Trump Party.

With Qanon it is also impossible to figure out who the true believers are and who is just backing it to grift or worse, get elected.
And then there's Trump, doing the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' stuff when he sees a rando with a Q shirt in the audience.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #5269 on: July 18, 2020, 11:19:24 AM »
Can anyone name someone who was fired due to cancel culture that was mostly innocent? Only person I can think of is David Shor.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5270 on: July 18, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
Michael Flynn
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #5271 on: July 18, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
Can anyone name someone who was fired due to cancel culture that was mostly innocent? Only person I can think of is David Shor.

:bobby

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5272 on: July 18, 2020, 01:33:53 PM »

Well if we're limiting it to the comedians in the entertainment industry, and not including people accused of unproven sexual impropriety, there's Shane Gillis, Sarah Silverman (not fired, but passed over for roles), James Gunn (unfired when they realised no-one actually cared), Norm Macdonald (having his late-night appearance cancelled and seemingly being blacklisted).

Kevin Hart I don't feel much sympathy for, and I didn't care for his homophobic jokes (if you can call them that), though I still think he was "innocent enough" to host the Oscars.

shosta

« Reply #5273 on: July 18, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
Why do you think I care about comedians, one of the lowest forms of human being? I'm talking about journalists or politicians.
每天生气

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5274 on: July 18, 2020, 01:45:24 PM »
trashy obliterated :dead
(ice)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5275 on: July 18, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
You only get "cancelled cancelled" if you admit you got drunk and tried to fuck a 14 year old boy, or tried to force half the actresses in Hollywood to fuck you. You don't truly get cancelled if you gave a fan-base that doesn't care, and your employer feels like tgey can stand the heat.

It's the people like Gillis who get cancelled before they're big that lose out

shosta

« Reply #5276 on: July 18, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
You don't truly get cancelled
so... cancel culture isn't really a problem then

It's the people like Gillis who get cancelled before they're big that lose out
Entertainment has ALWAYS been risk averse. This doesn't seem like something new but something that's always been true for comedians with material that offends or can offend major groups of people
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist

shosta

« Reply #5278 on: July 18, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »
let them fight
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5279 on: July 18, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
You can't really cancel the rich and powerful. Cancelling involves a group and power attempting to ostracize and jeopardize the material conditions of someone.
Someone with fuck-off money and power can subvert that.

The only people who have to really worry about being "cancelled" are the poor and common masses. No power to fight back and their material conditions pregnable.
You can see a tangential mentality of this popping up in the coronavirus situation. Where (poor) people dying in certain states is "good" and the other senator floating the idea of withholding aid to certain states. This all of course seeks to punish a certain, financially vulnerable, population slice.