Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 614493 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #5580 on: August 04, 2020, 06:01:58 AM »
I miss Yianopolis, at least he had that sort of narcissist-charisma. Shapiro looks like he is still in his highschool debate club

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #5581 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5582 on: August 04, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
I almost exclusively wear Hawaiian shirts these days  :doge
每天生气

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #5583 on: August 04, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
Holy shit these people are embarassing. How do you guys handle watching this stuff? I can't imagine listening to Ben Shapiro for more than a few seconds at a time, let alone seeking it out.

And his sister lol. #conservativeinfluencer Even though it's only conservatives, I feel sorry for the people getting grifted by these losers

I never watch any of this shit. If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't know who any of these morons are.
©ZH

shosta

每天生气

Propagandhim

« Reply #5585 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1290435578782199812

I want this Floridian POS to get sick so bad.  More than anyone on Earth. 

shosta

« Reply #5586 on: August 04, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »
Holy fuckin shit

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1290641124844085249

Mattyg is worried about America being at a disadvantage to China because it only has a third the population so he wrote a whole book on his solution: change the immigration system in America so that America would also have one billion people :dead :dead :dead
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #5587 on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
pre-ordered it
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist

shosta

« Reply #5589 on: August 04, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
This has gotta be the clearest example of terminal lib brain in America. Even Trumpism is significantly more coherent and realistic.
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5590 on: August 04, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »
An entire book made out of a Slate hot take :goty2

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5591 on: August 04, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »
I got no problem with increasing legal immigration.

shosta

« Reply #5592 on: August 04, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

There are already a billion Americans :hmm
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #5593 on: August 04, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »

They say you should dress the part and you're already dressing for your posting to Latin America after completing your economics studies. :hmm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5594 on: August 04, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »

Wouldn't have expected you to be in with the Boogaloo Boys. :gurl
dog

shosta

« Reply #5595 on: August 04, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
Only turistas wear camisas hawaianas ::)
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5596 on: August 04, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
May I suggest

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #5598 on: August 04, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
Thinking about a Clickhole "Matt Yglesias said WHAT?!" that's the JDPON copy pasta inside that book.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5599 on: August 04, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
We don't have enough housing for Americans right now. How are we supposed to find housing for 700 more Americans? And we're not even talking about Canada or Mexico, or the rest of North America.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5600 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
I was going to make a snarky comment about Tri suddenly opposing immigration because of MattY's book but I thought that would be ungenerous.

fuck

Kara

« Reply #5601 on: August 04, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
I was going to make a snarky comment about Tri suddenly opposing immigration because of MattY's book but I thought that would be ungenerous.

fuck

Unearned Koch failson wealth robs society of yet one more thing. :usacry

shosta

« Reply #5602 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
We don't have enough housing for Americans right now. How are we supposed to find housing for 700 more Americans? And we're not even talking about Canada or Mexico, or the rest of North America.
not trying to support Matt here but we could build as much housing as we want, it's just that any significant increase in the supply would lower the value of the property, which many americans have used as an vehicle for accumulation. law of value strikes again :goty2
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5603 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »

fuck

Hah. More of a rant on NIMBY housing regulation that fucks over the poor, middle class and younger generations of actually building roots.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5604 on: August 04, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
mhm

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5605 on: August 04, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
triple the population of the us, oh boy, just what I wanted, hundreds of millions of more americans :goty

shosta

« Reply #5606 on: August 04, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
I just want to reiterate how funny I think it is that Matt wrote a book about creating a billion Americans when there is already almost exactly that number of people on both American continents. Reality is truly funnier than fiction
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5607 on: August 04, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »
he meant whites  :doge

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5608 on: August 04, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
where does he plan to conjure up 650 million whites out of?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5609 on: August 04, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
I just want to reiterate how funny I think it is that Matt wrote a book about creating a billion Americans when there is already almost exactly that number of people on both American continents. Reality is truly funnier than fiction

why is that very funny

shosta

« Reply #5610 on: August 04, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
he meant whites  :doge
He wants more people to immigrate here, including Latin Americans! But if those people are already acceptable Americans why do they have to move? Just develop their countries and bring them into the fold.

But! There are already developed countries with people he would consider acceptable Americans. And if we accept that an alliance of countries of like-minded and similar-valued people is an acceptable alternative to baby-booming America, those countries are obvious candidates. So the question is: can we come up with an agglomerate of nations totaling a billion people that are unified in purpose and together have the strength to compete with China?

It already exists:

每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5611 on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
But if those people are already acceptable Americans why do they have to move?

you should ask the people who moved here why they did it instead of developing their own countries

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5612 on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »
Maybe you should read (i.e. pre-order) the book to better understand his proposal, shasta. Your antinatalism is costing us the Cold War 2.0.
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #5613 on: August 04, 2020, 04:01:26 PM »
you should ask the people who moved here why they did it instead of developing their own countries
I said WE should develop THEIR countries. Because everyone has the right to live in a first world country. By extension that means I support immigration, but it has nothing to do with boosting the power of a liberal-democratic superpower to protect the world from a scheming red menace.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5614 on: August 04, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
This has gotta be the clearest example of terminal lib brain in America. Even Trumpism is significantly more coherent and realistic.

I said WE should develop THEIR countries. Because everyone has the right to live in a first world country.

hm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5615 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
https://pulpitandpen.org/2020/08/04/bizzare-jerry-falwell-jr-yacht-pictures-were-from-trailer-park-boys-themed-party/

Don't worry guys, those "Jerry Falwell on a yacht with his arm around a woman and his beer belly sticking out" weren't anything untoward, it was just a Trailer Park Boys cosplay party. :lol
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5616 on: August 04, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »
But if those people are already acceptable Americans why do they have to move?

Why do residents of the periphery want to come to the imperial core :thinking

Airbnb landlord Matthew Yglesias wants more densely packed (yet still affordable, this is Cincinnati) urban housing to be filled with brain drain aspirational middle class candidates from the semi-periphery / periphery...... This is definitely something a Type of Guy would come up with.

All to enhance American power in the struggle with China, don't forget about that

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5617 on: August 04, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
Why do residents of the periphery want to come to the imperial core :thinking

and why would residents of the metropole want to keep them out?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5618 on: August 04, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
#NotAllResidentsofTheMetropole

Kara

« Reply #5619 on: August 04, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
Proletarianizing the U.S. settler economy with mass migration from across the planet OR ending that one weird feature of global capital wherein the periphery remains thus?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5620 on: August 04, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
*considers really getting this party started by posting some bernie quotes about open borders*

edit: actually what this convo is really missing is furloughed bore poster occam

shosta

« Reply #5621 on: August 04, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
hm

Since you're acting like a coward I don't know what you're trying to say. Then again, I'm not being clear either because I thought the premise of tripling America's population to increase its strength was prima facie ridiculous. Clearly though you think I'm being illiberal so I should just be explicit.

This is the premise of the book:

In geopolitical competition with China, the PRC's big advantage is that there are way more Chinese people than there are Americans so they can achieve economic parity and clout on the global stage at a much lower level of development. Easy argument.

The unstated premises are:
1) The "nation" is the correct scale when considering the global superpower conflict. We've lived in supranational arrangements since the end of World War II and for someone who talks a lot about foreign policy it seems weird to focus so much on the population of one particular country (even if it happens to be the hegemon). I already said it earlier: NATO is an almost unified free market liberal economy of many peers and accounts for a fifth of the economic activity on Earth. The reasons for American decline are peculiar to its economic and political structure... making more Americans won't solve it.

2) You can create a billion Americans mostly by moving people around. To support a tripling of the American way of life would probably require a tripling of the populations that we exploit, or it would entail keeping the immigrants wages low (probably not what Matt wants). Since a huge chunk of that is... in China... this would require a concomitant increase in China's population. You can play the supply chain shifting game if you want... I doubt that's covered in the book.

3) The immigration solution is possible. No nation has ever integrated that kind of foreign population that quickly. The reactionary backlash would be a few orders of magnitude worse than what you saw in 2016, and it would happen well before the completion of the demographic change. I'm not making a right-wing normative argument, I'm just telling you what I think about white Americans. As someone who doesn't like the new american nationalism I'm very inclined to avoid that kind of liberal project.

4) We should "beat" Chinese "imperialism". The US has been the single most predominant source of local destabilization for 70 years. There's a reason Chinese investment is vastly preferred in Africa over American investment. The percentage of American investment in extractive industries is triple that of Chinese investment, Chinese loans emphasize infrastructure development over foreign ownership of new businesses, etc. The other aspect of Chinese influence is the South China Sea which is a security risk for China. Foreign control over those waterways could cripple China in a conflict - securing it militarily is hardly some expansionist plot that leads to world domination. What exactly is the Chinese imperialism that I'm supposed to be afraid of and why is it worse than neoliberal imperialism?
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5622 on: August 04, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
look I don't have a problem with immigrants, but...

shosta

« Reply #5623 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
didn't know it was Asshole August
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #5624 on: August 04, 2020, 04:53:42 PM »
*considers really getting this party started by posting some bernie quotes about open borders*

edit: actually what this convo is really missing is furloughed bore poster occam

Yeah, I don't want some Mitterrand goons to ice him while he's going Captain Planet in the Amazon. :-\

Anyway, should I expect this book to contemplate unresolved land issues with tribal nations? I'm sure there's plenty of land to accomplish both, I just wonder if the grand vision has space for old our bads.

shosta

« Reply #5625 on: August 04, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
trying to remember if there was a cosmopolitan empire that brought foreigners to its countryside to multiply the glory of the nation...

每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5626 on: August 04, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
Shosta you should have stopped right after saying the idea was prima facie ridiculous anything after was playing into Mandark's trap

shosta

« Reply #5627 on: August 04, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »
I know how bullying works but I genuinely want to know what it is Mandark thinks and what he thinks I think
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5628 on: August 04, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
you said we shouldn't let so many people in the country so I think you think that we shouldn't let so many people in the country

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5629 on: August 04, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
 :sistine :rollsafe

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #5630 on: August 04, 2020, 05:08:05 PM »
All to enhance American power in the struggle with China, don't forget about that

Hmmm..... So you're telling me that some guy who lives off a combination of landlording and fake page hits is worried about an economic conflict with a country who manages to keep some of the value in the production chain inside their borders, despite the majority of the surplus being realized inside the United States?

:thinking

Trump voting small businessmen extract surplus value like this, dipshit bloggers extract surplus value like this
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:12:17 PM by curly »

shosta

« Reply #5632 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
you said we shouldn't let so many people in the country so I think you think that we shouldn't let so many people in the country

We should let a lot of people into this country! In fact, vastly more than we do already. But why do we need a billion people in the contiguous United States? How many economic migrants are depopulating perfectly good cities in other countries due to shambolic financial aftershocks or hostile international actions? Why quadruple the size of Topeka when Medellin would cost less money to fix? Why invest in America when places in India still have no plumbing? Why invest in America when the four famines are entering their fourth year?

And why only accept middle class immigrants (toward whom our system is biased)? If I thought limiting immigration would prevent the brain drain of other nations then I would support that, too. If I thought green development in the US would strip Bolivia of its lithium after we stole their public mining rights I would oppose that, too. Why kill the world for America's glory?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5633 on: August 04, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »
Holy fuckin shit

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1290641124844085249

Mattyg is worried about America being at a disadvantage to China because it only has a third the population so he wrote a whole book on his solution: change the immigration system in America so that America would also have one billion people :dead :dead :dead

Think Canada is trying to double or triple our pop by the end of the centery, a lot of which will be through immigration. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5634 on: August 04, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
We should let a lot of people into this country! In fact, vastly more than we do already.

you wrote that increasing immigration would necessitate increasing the exploited population of the global south and that it would engender a reactionary backlash from white Americans

do those facts only become true and/or salient at a certain numerical threshold?

Kara

« Reply #5635 on: August 04, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
Think Canada is trying to double or triple our pop by the end of the centery, a lot of which will be through immigration.

It might stop looking like 3 extractive industries standing on top of each other under a Ukrainian SS trenchcoat so as to resemble a person then. Godspeed, Klanada. :cancry

Oblivion

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5637 on: August 04, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
can't wait for the yet untouched regions of mexico to be leveled for the formation of the beef plantation superstate to feed all these new americans and read about all the mexicans uplifted out of poverty as a result

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5638 on: August 04, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »

It might stop looking like 3 extractive industries standing on top of each other under a Ukrainian SS trenchcoat so as to resemble a person then. Godspeed, Klanada. :cancry

Or it will just look like a taller person in a trench coat. 

shosta

« Reply #5639 on: August 04, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
you wrote that increasing immigration would necessitate increasing the exploited population of the global south and that it would engender a reactionary backlash from white Americans

do those facts only become true and/or salient at a certain numerical threshold?
you listed two facts. the first is always true and always salient regarding the structural limits to america's prosperity. The second comes into play after a threshold rate but that threshold is probably much higher than the natural rate of "people moving simply because they want to" in a world where every country is prosperous.

You didn't really answer my most important question. I asked why we need a billion Americans. You said to ask the migrants why they moved here. That's not the same thing: I know why they want to be here, I want to know why you want them here. If it's out of the generosity of your heart then I'm simply saying that generosity is good but you can already spread your wealth to them in ways with greater marginal benefits.
每天生气