Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082647 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3780 on: March 24, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
Purely anecdotal and not surprising but according to some Gendarme somewhere, you have a bunch of people calling in to report their neighbour breaking lockdown (...to go to their mailbox). Also a flood of calls to ask what and what is not an authorized case for going out with a certificate.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3781 on: March 24, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Purely anecdotal and not surprising but according to some Gendarme somewhere, you have a bunch of people calling in to report their neighbour breaking lockdown (...to go to their mailbox). Also a flood of calls to ask what and what is not an authorized case for going out with a certificate.

les mouchards obtiennent des points de suture

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3783 on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »

:lol

What's happening here, is it an ironic play of the anthem ?
Nah, pneumologist first says to the patients "All of Italy is thinking about you/rooting for you" and then plays the anthem to cheer them up.
I just thought it was funny image.

Here, they scream from the windows to stay home, to anyone that passes by.
Catcalling in a time of crisis.  :doge
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:21:19 AM by Don Rumata »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3784 on: March 24, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Here's some feelsbad news of the day.

Fears were growing in Spain on Monday of a spiralling coronavirus death toll among the nation’s elderly after military units sent in to offer emergency healthcare assistance and disinfect old people's homes, but found an unspecified number of abandoned dead bodies.

According to Spain’s Ministry of Defence, the military teams found that most of the staff had stopped going to work in several privately-run centres after residents began to fall ill with Covid-19, leaving the sick and dying unattended.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/23/spanish-army-finds-abandoned-dead-bodies-old-peoples-homes/

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3785 on: March 24, 2020, 08:38:49 AM »
Jesus. If true that might actually classify as a crime. :fbm
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3786 on: March 24, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3787 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1242238268277755905

Edit:. Apparently they took aquarium cleaner which had chloroquine as an active component

This is some Darwin-level shit if true.  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3789 on: March 24, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
My brother is staying with me and my mom now. I was wondering why... and then I realized it's because if my mom gets sick, she wants us both to be here.
Sounds like a suicide pact
:O

Fifstar

« Reply #3790 on: March 24, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
That's my point though. France fucking loves retirement homes too, and it creates vulnerable clusters once it gets in (via the staff for instance). I don't know if it's "better" really. Germany maybe lucked out with who is getting infected or the baseline social distance helped.

We'll only know when the dust settles and scientists will be able to study with more data instead of meeting urgent needs.
There is a retirement home that got 9 deaths :/

Anyway El Pais had a rather good article on the situation in Germany and why it still looks relatively okay compared to Spain or Italy for example.
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/03/20/actualidad/1584729408_422864.html
Translation via DeepL
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The figures for the coronavirus in Germany hide a riddle: the country has 19,000 confirmed cases and only 68 deaths. That leaves a fatality rate of 0.36%, much lower than in France (2%), Spain (4%) and Italy (8%). We know that this difference is influenced by Germany's ability to carry out thousands of tests. But there must be something else. Germany's case fatality rate is also exceptionally low compared to South Korea (1%), whose diagnostic capacity is also considered high. So how do we explain the German case? On Friday, the spokesman for the Spanish Health Ministry, Fernando Simon, said that they do not know. And neither do the German authorities have a definitive explanation. But there are at least three hypotheses.

1. It is possible that the virus broke out in Germany later. The first local outbreak of contagion within Europe was detected in Italy and was well advanced when it emerged: that is why the dead arrived quickly there. It was only a week from the infected number 20 to the dead number 20. This suggests that the outbreak had been active for weeks, because it takes two or three weeks for the disease to cause death.

The alarm in Italy made European countries redouble their detection efforts. In Spain, the number of detected cases of an outbreak that was actually already here multiplied.

The first cases were also detected in Germany, but their outbreak was probably at an early stage. "Germany recognized its outbreak very early. We are two or three weeks ahead of some neighbouring countries," virologist Christian Drosten told Zeit. "We did it because we made a lot of diagnoses, we tested a lot. We certainly missed cases in that first phase. But I don't think we missed a major outbreak.

That could explain their lower mortality rate. For two reasons. First, because if Germany has detected the cases early on, it will have detected more young people, who are the first to be infected (they travel more and have more contact with foreigners). Young people are more resistant to the virus. Deaths are more common when the virus advances and older people become infected.

The other reason is that deaths take time to occur. In many countries we have seen death rates rise over time. This is what happened in South Korea, where the tests are being exhaustive and mortality has doubled from 0.5% to 1.1% between 1 and 20 March. If the outbreak in Germany is more recent than in Spain or Italy, its fatality figures could increase.

2. The sick Germans are younger. In Germany, the age of a sample of those infected is published daily, so we know that the average is 47 years old and that only 20% are over 60. These figures are similar to those of Korea (I), but very different from those of Italy, where the average age of those infected - which are detected - is 66 years and where 58% are over 60 years old (I). The oldest Covid-19 patients are cases with a higher risk. The population pyramid of each country could also have an influence. Italy is the European country with the most over-65s (26%), while in Korea they are only 14%. But that doesn't help explain the German case, where 25% of the inhabitants are 65 or older.

Cultural factors may also play a role. Data from China says that between 75% and 80% of Covid-19 infections have occurred in families, as Bruce Aylward of the WHO explained to The New York Times. But daily contact between young and old is not the same in all societies. As Moritz Kuhn of the University of Bonn (Germany) suggests, people between 30 and 49 years old living with their parents exceed 20% in Italy, China or Japan, while in Germany they are just over 10%.

3. Behind everything are the tests. Germany has ensured through the Robert Koch Institute, the center responsible for disease control, that it can perform 160,000 tests per week. The country could have done up to 4,000 tests per million people, far from the 625 per million that Spain has done. It is clear that better detection reduces the gross death rates to bring them closer to reality: if you count all the infections - including the mildest ones - the death rate per infected person will be lower.

This is also what the numbers from South Korea suggest. It is the country that has done the most testing (more than 5,000 per million inhabitants), and although its outbreak is now several weeks old, it is still one of the countries with the lowest lethality, 1.1%, which is often used as a reference.

The low lethality of the virus in Germany is probably due to a mixture of several things. Its figures will probably remain far below those of Spain and Italy, as long as the country is still able to test massively. But if another factor is that your outbreak is at an earlier stage, your death numbers will increase and the lethality will rise. The question is how much.
[close]

Anyway, I'm glad it isn't that bad and that German hospitals can actually help out parts of France and that they're taking some patients from Italy as well. Hopefully once the lockdown stabilizes the situation, we can take in even more patients.

In other news. I really think that the situation will change in regards to China as big producer. I don't think Europe wants to rely solely on shipments that take 4 weeks on a huge cargo ship until they are here. It's one thing using planes in emergency situations like that, but I doubt everyone wants to go on like that with the current delievery chain being so behind. Really curious if that will actually change and those supply chains will become smaller again.

The ratio of deaths in germany will probably end up somewhere in the 0,5 - 1% range that happended in South Korea. Maybe even higher considering the older society of germany. The bulk of infections happenend in the last 10 days, so those deaths will happen in the next couple of weeks.

I think what the article you posted misses/doesn't spell out explicitly is that many neighbouring countries just have a big to gigantic dark figure. These countries have much higher death numbers than germany, because they already had tens of thousands (maybe even six figures in italy and spain) undetected cases a week or longer ago. Collapse of health system in parts of Italy and Spain adds up.
Gulp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3791 on: March 24, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
France to use a converted to medical uses high speed train to move 30 patients out of Strasbourg and Mulhouse...

India in 21 days lockdown.

Probably not good numbers out of NYC.
ὕβρις

Propagandhim

« Reply #3792 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »

:lol

What's happening here, is it an ironic play of the anthem ?

No, it's not ironic.  That's why it's so  ::)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3793 on: March 24, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
Hard to be too cynical with this, to be honest.
ὕβρις

Propagandhim

« Reply #3794 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1242238268277755905

Edit:. Apparently they took aquarium cleaner which had chloroquine as an active component

This is some Darwin-level shit if true.  :lol

I mean, it was a very unwise decision by two elderly people that could have been avoided if Trump didn't run his mouth about a drug that he insinuates is immediately effective.  Now that poor woman doesn't have a husband.  Obviously swallowing aquarium cleaner is dumb as hell, but I imagine if there was a more measured explanation being endorsed by the President ("Listen to your doctor.  We are doing trials to see the effectiveness of this drug - we're not there yet.  When we are, you will receive the appropriate therapy.") instead of constantly tweeting about how it's a miracle drug that isn't being considered by our deep-state CDC, maybe this could have been avoided.  People are receiving mixed messages from the federal government - they're confused and scared and people with no expertise are taking matters into their own hands because they have no faith in the messaging.  You have to take some responsibility for the most uncharitable interpretation of your words when you talk flippantly like this.

Nigeria Reports Chloroquine Overdoses After Trump—Without Evidence—Touted Drug as Possible Coronavirus Treatment
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:31:45 AM by Propagandhim »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #3795 on: March 24, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
What if Trump told people to take chloroquine because it’ll kill them and free up hospital beds

Propagandhim

« Reply #3796 on: March 24, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
Hard to be too cynical with this, to be honest.

Yeah, fair enough.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3797 on: March 24, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »
Didn’t bail, but I did very calmly lay out all my concerns in a morning meeting. Basically everyone here is like “we agree” but my manager can’t do shit unless his (working from home safely somewhere back East) boss says so. Very profit over people over here but I’m standing up and fighting calmly 🤷‍♀️

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3798 on: March 24, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »
Moscow's mayor on record saying their numbers are only a partial view into the extent of the issue over there.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3800 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
Months, then I set the usage rate to TVC's and I'll be without in hours.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3801 on: March 24, 2020, 01:32:53 PM »
goddamn america is omega fucked

Turns out putting a game-show host conman in charge of a country during a major crisis is actually a bad idea!
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3802 on: March 24, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
no one could have known

Bebpo

« Reply #3803 on: March 24, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »
My mom just called me after trying to go to the grocery market during senior early hours. She said there was million people standing right next to each other, insane lines and barely anything was in stock.  :-\

I wonder when/if groceries will ever be safe again. I mean even when the "lockdown" ends and new infections are low, I feel like people are still going to be panicking that there's nothing left at the supermarket and be buying groceries and supplies in mass. I mean online toilet paper is sold out for 2 months. Being able to buy food items needed is absolutely something I've taken for granted my whole life. I would like this to return at some point.

I also feel at this point it's a supply issue. People were saying distribution hasn't been effected and stock is normal everywhere and it's just people hoarding, but so many things are out of stock nationwide, it really seems like there is a supply issue on a lot of food items and household items.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3804 on: March 24, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
Numbers are going up again in Italy. More deaths than yesterday but some more recoveries and the percentage of growth is slower.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3805 on: March 24, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
goddamn america is omega fucked

And they are going to take us innocent Canadians with them.  Thanks, America.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3806 on: March 24, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1242185334353547270

:dead

Can confirm, got it this morning:

GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT
New rules in force now: you must stay at home.
More infos & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home.
Protect the NHS.
Save lives.

I guess t least it's succinct.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3807 on: March 24, 2020, 02:04:52 PM »
French scientific council opinion : Lockdown to last until end of April (6 weeks), national wide test campaign not possible at the moment, lockdown only mode of action to fight the infection.

It's advisory but 45 days was the rumoured initial lockdown duration.

I'm disappointed about the testing situation. But probably the only way to get out of this is to test people to make sure they have / had it to clear them.
ὕβρις

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3808 on: March 24, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
I actually like the theory that a lot of people have already had this, if only because I had a flu-ish respiratory thing back in January.  :lol

I really think there is a need for the antibody test if you really want to put people's minds at ease. aside from, you know, actually testing.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #3809 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:08 PM »
I actually like the theory that a lot of people have already had this, if only because I had a flu-ish respiratory thing back in January.  :lol

I really think there is a need for the antibody test if you really want to put people's minds at ease. aside from, you know, actually testing.

My parents flew to Cambodia for most of Dec. 2019, had a layover in Shanghai going to and back, and he couldn't shake a bad cold, the fever shakes, etc., and only until recently started getting better. Doctors claimed there was nothing wrong with him (that he just needed to rest). I wonder...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3810 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »

I remember I had a strange burning throat and a fever earlier this year as well and a flu that stuck around despite getting a flu shot.
I've heard similar things from my co-workers and friends around that time.

So yeah, antibody testing would probably show a whole bunch of people already had the virus and didn't die.
🤴

james

« Reply #3811 on: March 24, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »
My mom just called me after trying to go to the grocery market during senior early hours. She said there was million people standing right next to each other, insane lines and barely anything was in stock.  :-\

I wonder when/if groceries will ever be safe again. I mean even when the "lockdown" ends and new infections are low, I feel like people are still going to be panicking that there's nothing left at the supermarket and be buying groceries and supplies in mass. I mean online toilet paper is sold out for 2 months. Being able to buy food items needed is absolutely something I've taken for granted my whole life. I would like this to return at some point.

I also feel at this point it's a supply issue. People were saying distribution hasn't been effected and stock is normal everywhere and it's just people hoarding, but so many things are out of stock nationwide, it really seems like there is a supply issue on a lot of food items and household items.

Im thinking the same.

How is stuff still out of stock. It's not like a significant portion of the population wasn't eating before. And hoarders have only so much freezer space

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3812 on: March 24, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »
I feel like we should be doing temperature checks at all markets. It's the best chokepoint to catch people when they are in the early stages of showing symptoms (and also the most virulent).

james

« Reply #3813 on: March 24, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
My sore throat is completely gone and my chest feels fine.

But two (2) cold sores showed up over night.

Fml

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3814 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:45 PM »
:comeon "innocent" :gurl

Occam

« Reply #3815 on: March 24, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »

Fml

Probably means your immune system is weakened.
"Cold sores" are herpes simplex (HSV-1)
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3816 on: March 24, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »

Innocence is a relative term! 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3817 on: March 24, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

Fml

Stop whoring around.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3818 on: March 24, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
these trends are not good.

:corona_rodney

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3819 on: March 24, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »

It's reassuring in a way hence the appeal. Fatality is shaping up to fall well under the WHO number which is nice, I also hope those treatments are effective.

Cure worse than disease however I do worry for the USA. If the treatment is atleast somewhat effective and people decide to go the Trump path. We could in real time see a tragic sharp curve unfold. The limits of supply and personnel will possibly make a case where the fatality rate in the States is quintuple the surrounding area due to a possible treatment and therefore healthcare collapse as a result of no curve flattening.
A "cure" could be the worst thing ironically. People would forego any social distancing and so the healthcare system would be burdened by so many people at once they can't possibly treat them all.  :-\

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3820 on: March 24, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »
Poor Americans  :(

james

« Reply #3821 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »

Fml

Probably means your immune system is weakened.
"Cold sores" are herpes simplex (HSV-1)
[close]

I know what they are.

I think it's all the fruit smoothies I've been drinking to harden up the immune system.

Oddly enough I've barely had to poop

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3822 on: March 24, 2020, 03:02:41 PM »
Well, deaths had a steep increase in France. It's starting. :goty
ὕβρις

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3823 on: March 24, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
Based on how virulent this is, I really think it's unlikely people had this back in November/December/January here because our hospitals didn't get overrun. we would have been in an Italy situation months ago
dur

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3824 on: March 24, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
Based on how virulent this is, I really think it's unlikely people had this back in November/December/January here because our hospitals didn't get overrun. we would have been in an Italy situation months ago

it's the asymptotic numbers and asymptotic infection that is fucking with things, will be a complete mystery for some time
november/december seems impossible since then it would predate/coincide with the chinese outbreak, I do think it has been spreading out of china for a while though and possibly as early as late january, like following the seattle nursing home timeline

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #3825 on: March 24, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »

Innocence is a relative term!
You Canadian guys keep on telling me how you treat your first nation people. Tell the truth!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3826 on: March 24, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
French Health Ministry basically said that the fatality stats were only partial, it's mostly deaths in hospitals and they think there's more suspicious deaths in retirement homes that they will try to track from now on.
:goty

They also want to increase daily test capacity from 9000 (today) to 29000 next week.
ὕβρις

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3827 on: March 24, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »
This is why corporations are awful:

Everyone at my location including my manager now that I’ve been on a facts crusade think it’s wisest to close now. My manager blames “Bob” (manager of all locations) in a rare go around, Bob actually talks directly to me, and then blames supply chain. Ineffective bullshit.

Official word is we will only close if we have a confirmed case at our location THATS TOO LATE

Nuitangg

« Reply #3828 on: March 24, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »
This is why corporations are awful:

Everyone at my location including my manager now that I’ve been on a facts crusade think it’s wisest to close now. My manager blames “Bob” (manager of all locations) in a rare go around, Bob actually talks directly to me, and then blames supply chain. Ineffective bullshit.

Official word is we will only close if we have a confirmed case at our location THATS TOO LATE

Sounds like we work for the same company.   :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3829 on: March 24, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
Like, for real, or just the same big corporate dick style lol pm if former

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

james

« Reply #3831 on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »
An employee at my closest supermarket has the rona

Can't go round there now

The hoarders were right  :doge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3832 on: March 24, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
Noooo not the religious... don’t.  Please... stop

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3834 on: March 24, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
87 dead and 21% increase in cases today. who knew dabbing into your elbow whilst coughing could save lives.

Bebpo

« Reply #3835 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »

I mean my whole family in February got the "flu" with 102+/104+ fevers and respiratory stuff that 2 months later we're still recovering from with lingering coughs. My mom was in the ER and I almost died.

I would think it could have been Covid...except that my mom is the only person who got tested and a swab test said it was H1N1 Flu type A. So I really doubt it was anything but that unfortunately. Would be nice if we had all survived this and been immune now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3838 on: March 24, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »
It helps that they have over 2 followers. 

Ghoul

« Reply #3839 on: March 24, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/veggiefact/status/1241785685155164162

I amde a tweet like this 10 days ago and got 1 like :(
You're probably shadow banned on twitter for the inkling fan art you repost.