Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082643 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5460 on: April 05, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
The Navy captain Trump fired for daring to protect his sailors has tested positive

Also to be honest it's a bit unfair to pin that one on Donald (maybe I missed some info about that ?). Seems more like he got shitcanned because he made the big honchos above him look bad even if he wasn't the one who leaked his memo and that it was already publicised the carrier would port because Corona. The Milboys will correct me if I'm wrong but that's the military way, always and everywhere. I don't think Trump give a rat's ass about micromanaging who is captaining the ships.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5462 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
the cosmic gays are not putting up with any of this foolishness in 2020, y'all

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5463 on: April 05, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »
Unconfirmed reports that BoJo has difficulty breathing and is using a ventilator.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5464 on: April 05, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
Alright everybody on planet earth can we agree NOT to fuck the tigers during a pandemic?  ::)
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5465 on: April 05, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »
things are different now, furries will have to use condoms when they fuck their pets in this new era  :doge

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #5466 on: April 05, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »

No

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5467 on: April 05, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5468 on: April 05, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »
the chad cosmic gays > the virgin yahweh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5469 on: April 05, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
🤴

nudemacusers

« Reply #5470 on: April 05, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5471 on: April 05, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fvkiff/comment/fmj327v

Are you joking? He is 78 kg and 1.75 m.
He is not overweight.

No way Boris Johnson is 78kg :lol
ὕβρις

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #5472 on: April 05, 2020, 07:14:20 PM »
Today, Austria went up by just 2.1% cases, the Czech Republic went up by 2.6%, and Slovakia went up by 3%. Didn't those countries start pushing face masks two weeks ago?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5473 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
Today, Austria went up by just 2.1% cases, the Czech Republic went up by 2.6%, and Slovakia went up by 3%. Didn't those countries start pushing face masks two weeks ago?

Austria, AFAIK, went into a lockdown including a stricter quarantine of the Tyrol region shortly after Italy. I believe they are considering making masks mandatory in grocery stores (free masks to be supplied to customers at entrance) or that they passed that regulation a couple of days ago.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5474 on: April 05, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
Trump really wants people to poison themselves through self-medication, huh ?
ὕβρις

Pennywise

« Reply #5475 on: April 05, 2020, 07:34:15 PM »
I dunno about the Czech Republic.
Austria just did it recently, but they went into a stricter shutdown quite early.

Their chancellor is praising himself, despite Austrias utter failure in the Tirol region, which was among the biggest hotspots to spread the virus. They ignored the warnings and the cases. Now alot of European countries are still having to deal with people that came back from their skiing trip and are tested positive.

Anyway, it's good to see Italy getting more stable recently. Hopefully the numbers will continue to drop and hospitals will be able to handle it, alongside some patients that will get help in other countries that still got enough ICU beds.

The current situation in Europe is still pretty dreadful, but I'm far more optimistic here than the US and all those poor countries that got hit hard by it. Getting some equipment into those regions should be a priority for everyone that can afford it.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5476 on: April 05, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »
[...] the US and all those poor countries [...]
I hate constantly being in the fuckin C tier of countries :dead
每天生气

Pennywise

« Reply #5477 on: April 05, 2020, 07:51:09 PM »
[...] the US and all those poor countries [...]
I hate constantly being in the fuckin C tier of countries :dead

I'm sorry. I just think the outlook is bad for several reasons.
The US isn't that category for the existing medical infrastructure, which is pretty good.
Obesity rate, the hotspots being huge cities, traffic structure, no unified strategy, the leadership, the number of nutjobs and in general a heterogeneous population.

We'll see how it's gonna work out.

bluemax

NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5480 on: April 05, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
newsome and cuomo competing to be biden's replacement when he croaks before the convention or just for likes?  :thinking

Leadbelly

« Reply #5481 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »

Austria, AFAIK, went into a lockdown including a stricter quarantine of the Tyrol region shortly after Italy. I believe they are considering making masks mandatory in grocery stores (free masks to be supplied to customers at entrance) or that they passed that regulation a couple of days ago.

Austria has a population of 9 million. Maybe. I imagine masks are in short supply though.

bluemax

NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5483 on: April 05, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »
Just saw a fat racoon running down a well light major street (Parliament St.).  Like not a back ally or anything. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5484 on: April 05, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »
Just saw a fat racoon running down a well light major street (Parliament St.).  Like not a back ally or anything. 

we are the virus ect.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5486 on: April 05, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »
Of the 37 deaths in Australia, 11 have come from the fucking Ruby Princess Cruise ship. That ship has also been responsible for 600+ cases or of a total of 5662 Australia-wide.

New South Wales Police have opened up a criminal investigation into the decision to allow that ship to dock in Sydney and for 2700 passengers to disembark without any screening at all.

Without that ship, Australia would be in pretty decent shape statistics-wise.

Yesterday, in my state of Queensland, we only had 9 confirmed cases, and the whole country only had 143 new cases. We have tested more than 1% of the population at a rate of 1166 tests per 100k people.

The source of infection for more than 65% of cases was overseas, with less than 10% of local infections coming from an unknown origin.

Some really cool data here https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704?nw=0&pfmredir=sm
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5487 on: April 05, 2020, 10:11:01 PM »

Tom Nook is getting bold.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #5488 on: April 05, 2020, 10:12:50 PM »
few prominent epidemiologists alongside a govt committee setup to fight covid here have been discussing how we can all but eradicate the virus in new zealand if we continue with the lockdown for a longer period ("keeping the spread on pause") until we have better tracing of individuals and the response systems put in place. moving to limit regional travel for a time too after that and entirely closing our borders until a global solution is reached.
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5489 on: April 05, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »
New Zealand lucked out in not being physically shackled to the corpse of the American Empire. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #5490 on: April 05, 2020, 10:23:30 PM »
few prominent epidemiologists alongside a govt committee setup to fight covid here have been discussing how we can all but eradicate the virus in new zealand if we continue with the lockdown for a longer period ("keeping the spread on pause") until we have better tracing of individuals and the response systems put in place. moving to limit regional travel for a time too after that and entirely closing our borders until a global solution is reached.

You know Trump said something the other day about not having the cure being worse than the disease. And of course people said shit because it's Trump. There is something in that though, right? We are potentially on course for global economic meltdown. And the repercussions of that, if it does materialise, will be devastating.

It's that catch-22 situation we now find ourselves in. Again, even though it seems too optimistic, I am really hoping the Oxford model is correct, and many in the population have already had it. That would solve the problem.

Probably won't turn out that way though...

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5491 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:28 PM »
There is no economy if people don’t feel safe. That’s the thing people who say “the cure might be worse than the disease” don’t acknowledge.

Even if you could snap your fingers today and say “no Covid in the world” it would take people months to begin to feel safe again and resume life like it once was.

naff

« Reply #5492 on: April 05, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »
New Zealand lucked out in not being physically shackled to the corpse of the American Empire.

ironically, I work on a website which predominantly serves 'muricans and we're profiting off americas lockdown not being as comprehensive. our nz site is completely dead.
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5493 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
Might as well take advantage of them while they are still alive. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #5494 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »
There is no economy if people don’t feel safe. That’s the thing people who say “the cure might be worse than the disease” don’t acknowledge.

Even if you could snap your fingers today and say “no Covid in the world” it would take people months to begin to feel safe again and resume life like it once was.

I'm not sure it matters whether they acknowledge it or not if ultimately the outcome is the same either way. We still need to face it and find a solution.

And to be honest, I couldn't tell you right now what the solution will be. As I said it seems like a catch-22. I'm still worried about it though. While most of our concern is on the virus itself, it seems that little conundrum has been kicked down the road. At some point we may have to face up to it though. And that scares me.

naff

« Reply #5495 on: April 05, 2020, 10:44:58 PM »
Might as well take advantage of them while they are still alive.

America will come out the other side of this OK in time
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5496 on: April 05, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
 I know, I was just being hopeful. 

shosta

« Reply #5497 on: April 05, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »
You know Trump said something the other day about not having the cure being worse than the disease. And of course people said shit because it's Trump. There is something in that though, right?
No.

We are potentially on course for global economic meltdown. And the repercussions of that, if it does materialise, will be devastating.
I can't say anything about a cold island in the North Atlantic but here in North America we produce a lot of food. Let people in the agriculture, transportation, medical, and energy sectors keep going to work (under safe conditions with social distancing). Give them a big hazard pay bonus. Keep everyone else inside. Now give everyone enough money to buy their food and energy. Problem solved. This is an extremely simple arrangement that, if everyone had a vote over the rational production in society, they would arrive at very rapidly.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #5498 on: April 05, 2020, 10:51:11 PM »
As for Europe, I would not mind sharing some of my food with them as long as I got a discounted subscription to the best Spanish and Italian OnlyFans accounts.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5499 on: April 05, 2020, 10:54:51 PM »
You want a world where women do sex work for food?  Shame

shosta

« Reply #5500 on: April 05, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #5501 on: April 05, 2020, 11:07:17 PM »
You know Trump said something the other day about not having the cure being worse than the disease. And of course people said shit because it's Trump. There is something in that though, right?
No.

We are potentially on course for global economic meltdown. And the repercussions of that, if it does materialise, will be devastating.
I can't say anything about a cold island in the North Atlantic but here in North America we produce a lot of food. Let people in the agriculture, transportation, medical, and energy sectors keep going to work (under safe conditions with social distancing). Give them a big hazard pay bonus. Keep everyone else inside. Now give everyone enough money to buy their food and energy. Problem solved. This is an extremely simple arrangement that, if everyone had a vote over the rational production in society, they would arrive at very rapidly.

I think worst case scenario it will hit every country really hard. however, I guess the US is in a better situation than most to bear some of the brunt. Global trade might be fucked though and the US is a big exporter.

I had this thought that if things get really bad, we will end up back to how things used to be done. Where we trade necessary items mostly with ourselves.

Actually there may be two opposing schools of thought here: We either become more insular with our trade to ensure we are self-sufficient enough to cope with the huge drop in global trade. Or we create a new world order where there is a one world government. A one world government might be required if you are relying on one huge cooperation effort from all nations to bring us out of it.

Of course this all depends on how serious it turns out to be.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:15:36 PM by Leadbelly »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5503 on: April 05, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »
There's not many replacements for China and SE Asia available in the world. Especially on a quick timescale. The US and then SE Asia were the replacements for the British Empire and Europe but it took a couple centuries and the total destruction of Europe to get there. Africa is too costly in key ways to supply the First World at costs the First World is willing to pay now, that's why China was looking to them as their China, there's less of a cost disparity. (Also, they're more willing to um... supply certain goods and services.)

If the world went back to a bilateral trade focus, I'd imagine there ironically would be very quickly an agreement between the US and China, no matter where blame for the Chinese Trump Plague falls in most of the populations mind. China is too valuable of a middleman. And the US can remain the connection for Europe. We'd likely go back to that system where a "step" was required in every state goods landed in to try and obscure where most of the manufacturing was done, to say, "clean" a product of Chinese labor.

Brazil is another one, as shosta noted earlier. They're hooked into economic ecosystems where key groups in the First World would dread cutting them off while the broader populace will not know enough to care.

benjipwns

« Reply #5504 on: April 05, 2020, 11:42:44 PM »
Though I am slightly biased.

shosta

« Reply #5505 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
why, because you identify as brazilian?
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5506 on: April 05, 2020, 11:57:07 PM »
re: the "economy"

Presuming that the threat of the virus is temporary* then the disruption to what we think of as economic activity is also temporary.

As Shosta said, for the time being we can keep certain things going and put everything else on ice. Later we thaw it out, at which point we still have the same infrastructure, the same labor force with the same skills, etc. You lose 3 or 9 or 18 months of production but everything is ready to go at the end of it and people are able to work. Nothing material has changed.

Besides a hangover in consumer behavior like TA noted, the only reason this hiatus would create a downward spiral and lengthy depression is that everyone owes someone money and if creditors keep collecting then half the country goes bankrupt. So just put a freeze on that too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ie that there is a vaccine or much more effective treatment or that the caseload shrinks to the point where we can keep it small without vastly changing our behavior. If this is not the case then we're having a different discussion.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5507 on: April 05, 2020, 11:57:33 PM »
why, because you identify as brazilian?
I voted against the Chinese Exclusion Act while in Congress.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5510 on: April 06, 2020, 12:07:13 AM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #5511 on: April 06, 2020, 12:17:44 AM »
re: the "economy"

Presuming that the threat of the virus is temporary* then the disruption to what we think of as economic activity is also temporary.

As Shosta said, for the time being we can keep certain things going and put everything else on ice. Later we thaw it out, at which point we still have the same infrastructure, the same labor force with the same skills, etc. You lose 3 or 9 or 18 months of production but everything is ready to go at the end of it and people are able to work. Nothing material has changed.

Besides a hangover in consumer behavior like TA noted, the only reason this hiatus would create a downward spiral and lengthy depression is that everyone owes someone money and if creditors keep collecting then half the country goes bankrupt. So just put a freeze on that too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ie that there is a vaccine or much more effective treatment or that the caseload shrinks to the point where we can keep it small without vastly changing our behavior. If this is not the case then we're having a different discussion.
[close]

I guess this depends on how robust certain industries are. For instance, in the 2008 crisis the motor industry in the US was hit pretty bad. This could potentially be way bigger than the 2008 crisis. Just think about the industries that needed bailing out back then. This is why countries may have a tendency to become insular in times of crisis. They want to protect their major industries. Outsourcing essential items may have its benefits, but there is also a downside to it. When your economy is already fragile due total economic meltdown, the effect that may have on your own industries may become much more pronounced.

Also, I am thinking that it may not just be the simple economics of it. Being dependent on outsourcing of some essential products, might have disastrous effects particularly in uncertain times with a world in chaos. That might spark a greater shift to self-sufficiency.

I guess it is true that some of this couldn't be done in the short-term. However, perhaps a goal in the long-term depending on how bad the situation is would be to focus on building your own economy in terms of industry and production.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:25:09 AM by Leadbelly »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5512 on: April 06, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
Damn, it's still snowing in Manhatten?

shosta

« Reply #5513 on: April 06, 2020, 12:23:08 AM »
predicting what will happen to any economy is a fool's errand because it depends on the length of the crisis and the scale of the response. I look at the numbers EU banks and governments are planning on spending and I lol. But the US government is clearly prepared to just print whatever it needs to.

I think something a lot of people aren't thinking about is what happens when Europe pulls out of the crisis faster than the US does. You can't "put an economy on ice", so to speak, if all your foreign buyers were stolen from you by ze germans.

:money
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5515 on: April 06, 2020, 12:28:00 AM »
I guess this depends on how robust certain industries are. For instance, in the 2008 crisis the motor industry in the US was hit pretty bad. This could potentially be way bigger than the 2008 crisis. Just think about the industries that needed bailing out back then.

To my point, the 2008 crisis was purely finance-driven. There was no physical reason why 10% of the population would suddenly be out of work, just the way people behave in reaction to debt, dropping asset values, etc. When you talk about whether an industry is "robust" you mean whether it can stand to still pay its bills if sales take a hit. But what if there was a moratorium on those bills? Credit's just made up anyways.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5516 on: April 06, 2020, 12:28:04 AM »
Damn, it's still snowing in Manhatten?
saskatoon

benjipwns

« Reply #5517 on: April 06, 2020, 12:30:31 AM »
GM was hit in 2008 because it was a finance/insurance company that still made cars for obscure legacy reasons.

shosta

« Reply #5518 on: April 06, 2020, 12:37:10 AM »
But what if there was a moratorium on those bills? Credit's just made up anyways.
I don't give a fuck about your liquidity! I demand you pay out on this credit-default-swap! :bolo
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #5519 on: April 06, 2020, 12:40:40 AM »
每天生气