Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082645 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6060 on: April 10, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »

this was decent, even for non-canadians

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6061 on: April 10, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »
6000 potential cases among French healthcare professionals.
15 of them passed away.
3 deaths in the Paris Transport Régie.
60% of long term care homes in Paris region have at least one suspected/confirmed COVID19 case.

A controversy when it came to light that the private funeral service managing the bodies kept in the marketplace of Rungis (Paris région) was charging families for storage and visits. Ministry of Interior came forward to say every fee beyond the ones usually in play would be paid out of public treasury and the private company made a statement they wouldn't gouge the bill.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6063 on: April 10, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Well, actually, free market doesn't factor in viruses you see...
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6064 on: April 10, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
The last three days of US deaths have been 1971, 1940, 1900.   

Is the virus... Trying to tell us something ? Who was President in those years ?
Nixon, FDR, McKinley.

All were re-elected, but none of the three ultimately completed their terms in office.

FDR completed the term he was elected to in 1940.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6065 on: April 10, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
Was Nintex serious or not, maybe I should write a piece to claim credit for 9/11 for Riotous to ponder about  :thinking

Anyway, it is no secret that the Trump administration wanted to do exactly next to nothing(and even believed it was a hoax) and the same course of doing nothing was set by the Dutch and English under the guise of 'herd immunity' until events in Italy and projections showing them the outcome of doing next to nothing woke them up.

The death toll could've been far higher and luckily because everyone pulled together at the last minute it likely won't hit 100k in the US.
Which in and by itself is an achievement considering how it grim it looked 2 weeks ago and even Fauci says that the numbers are better than he expected.

So good job all around to the citizens of the country who made that happen.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6066 on: April 10, 2020, 12:13:33 PM »
tremendous numbers, just incredible :trumps
(ice)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6067 on: April 10, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »
Fauci reportedly estimates that 60k US deaths is the current projection (by the beginning of August). It seems hard to really gauge the US situation now. NY and its region is massively front loading numbers, but the West Coast may have averted the worst. I don't know what to think for other large metropolitan areas. Lower density elsewhere may help. Relative to its population, it seems the US won't peak as high as Western European nations but the curve may plateau for longer if other states peak noticeably later.

I expect France, Italy and Spain each to not be that far off south of 60k fatalities by this summer -confirmed or reasonably inferred- or maybe after excess mortality statistical studies... I think it would actually be a "good" outcome for the USA.

Finally, our horrible lack of public transportation in most cities is paying off.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6068 on: April 10, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »
Wife's jerb drama is driving me nuts.  She's been staying at home this whole time and kept getting denied permission to work at home even after her boss went and set up her office PC to let her do so.  This week, she worked at home for a few days after her boss decided to let everyone do it and they'd just keep it a secret from his bosses, lol.  But now she's being told they're going to make a schedule so that there's just a few people in the office at a time.  Less people is great and all, but it's still a risk and I don't want her going.  This is getting so tiresome- the backwards Japanese corporate idiots running that place need to give in and let people work remotely already.
:dizzy
ban the japanese corporate idiots and kill them ;)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6070 on: April 10, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
JPMorgan economists issued an even more dire forecast, now foreseeing a 40% decline in the nation’s gross domestic product for the second quarter and a surge in April’s unemployment rate to 20% with 25 million jobs lost.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/jpmorgan-now-sees-economy-contracting-by-40percent-and-unemployment-reaching-20percent.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6071 on: April 10, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6072 on: April 10, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
100K deaths worldwide and 1,666,895 cases. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6073 on: April 10, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
Just found out that I'm getting a temporary pay cut until things return to normal- this really won't affect me since I just got a raise and this effectively cancels out my pay increase for however many months this goes on for.  Not too bad all things considered- still getting paid my yearly bonus and the crazy overtime money from before, too.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6074 on: April 10, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
100K deaths worldwide and 1,666,895 cases.

:(
ど助平

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #6075 on: April 10, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
"Still not as bad as the seasonal flu"
 \
 :dobbs

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6076 on: April 10, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
"Still not as bad as the seasonal flu"
 \
 :dobbs

Reading the first many pages of this thread as well?  :-[

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6077 on: April 10, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »
Only 800 people died from Sars and it was way more severe, plus since we're 16 years of medical advancement later... i'd be very surprised if the deathtoll ends up triple digits

To be fair, the death toll isn't triple digits...
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6078 on: April 10, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
I want a spoof movie where a Boris Johnson-type leader dies during a pandemic and the government feels compelled to ‘Weekend at Bernies’ his corpse in order to keep morale up.
Of course, hijinks will ensue.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #6079 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The Bire when witnessing a Nintex post - 2020, Colorized
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6080 on: April 10, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
I'm afraid most of the millennials will be wiped out by this economically.
Most of them already had a slow start, as the economy crashed right after they were done with college/university.

They got their jobs late, they lived with their parents longer and most of them finally got something going between the age of 25 - 30 and were looking to work out a retirement plan, settle down, buy a house or plan for kids.
What little they had managed to save will now be spend on daily necessities.

Unless a miracle happens, Corona-chan wiped out an entire generation.
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6081 on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
 :existential

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6082 on: April 10, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
I still can't find a Razer Kiyo webcam in stock anywhere dammit #coronastruggles
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6083 on: April 10, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »
Most of them already had a slow start, as the economy crashed right after they were done with college/university.

They got their jobs late, they lived with their parents longer and most of them finally got something going between the age of 25 - 30 and were looking to work out a retirement plan, settle down, buy a house or plan for kids.

https://twitter.com/RyanForSmyrna/status/1246953081495060480
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6085 on: April 10, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
ay yo homie do it for yo baby mama!!  :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6087 on: April 10, 2020, 04:54:13 PM »
🤴

shosta

« Reply #6088 on: April 10, 2020, 04:58:17 PM »
twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1248680286336016384
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #6089 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:57 PM »
L.a. county stay at home oridiance extended to may 15th. I don't think LA going to loosen up until June at the earliest.

jorma

« Reply #6090 on: April 10, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
L.a. county stay at home oridiance extended to may 15th. I don't think LA going to loosen up until June at the earliest.

ok, so this i don't understand. what will have changed in june to make that a possibility?

Tripon

« Reply #6091 on: April 10, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »

ok, so this i don't understand. what will have changed in june to make that a possibility?

That's just me taking a guess when it might actually get lifted. Right now, the current projections list L.A. county residents at 30% getting corona virus.

Officials outlined the stark paths ahead for Los Angeles County. If the stay-at-home order was quickly rescinded and people resumed to their normal habits, an astonishing 95.6% of L.A. County residents would be infected with the coronavirus by Aug. 1, according to projections released by the county.

Staying at the current levels of physical distancing would still result in 29.8% of residents being infected by Aug. 1.

But increasing our efforts to stay apart from one another by one-third could reduce that to just having 5.5% of Los Angeles County residents infected by Aug. 1.

Put another way: Junking the stay-at-home order now would result in 18,000 people needing hospitalization in L.A. County by mid-May, in a county with fewer than 4,000 beds. But maintaining the current level of physical distancing would keep the number of those needing hospitalization under 1,000 by late May, and significantly lower if we improved our physical distancing.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-social-distancing-summer

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6092 on: April 10, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
yeah I don't see why anyone would let up anywhere until a vaccine is developed

is the assumption that everyone who had it will have either died or developed immunity by then so now nobody has it, no one exists who can continue to spread it?
Uncle

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6093 on: April 10, 2020, 05:47:37 PM »
The government here aren't admitting it, but it's pretty clear that with them opening up schools again slowly (only the youngest first, you know the ones great at keeping distance and washing hands), the strategy is that the kids will get corona, give it to their relatively young parents who will also mostly survive it, and slowly but surely getting that immunity in the population. Shutting down a whole country for a year or however long it will take to get a vaccine, is not exactly realistic in the end. So rip boomers.

Our hospitals were never truly overloaded and the deaths havent been crazy.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6094 on: April 10, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »

is the assumption that everyone who had it will have either died or developed immunity by then so now nobody has it, no one exists who can continue to spread it?

We will have to open some stuff up. After the curve flattens, and it decreases, we will need to have people go back to work.  It is not tenable to have everyone locked in their houses until 2022
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6095 on: April 10, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Think US will break 2000 deaths today. 

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6096 on: April 10, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
filler goes brrrr

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6097 on: April 10, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
The plan here is that we slowly open up things again starting with schools and daycare late April, followed by restaurants and cinema's.
However, we will have to learn to live in a new "1.5 meter distance society" of which the details are being worked out.

One of the things that is likely is that everyone will have to carry a smartphone with an app installed that is a like a Nintendo DS streetpass for COVID-19  :doge
🤴

jorma

« Reply #6098 on: April 10, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »

That's just me taking a guess when it might actually get lifted. Right now, the current projections list L.A. county residents at 30% getting corona virus.

Officials outlined the stark paths ahead for Los Angeles County. If the stay-at-home order was quickly rescinded and people resumed to their normal habits, an astonishing 95.6% of L.A. County residents would be infected with the coronavirus by Aug. 1, according to projections released by the county.

Staying at the current levels of physical distancing would still result in 29.8% of residents being infected by Aug. 1.

But increasing our efforts to stay apart from one another by one-third could reduce that to just having 5.5% of Los Angeles County residents infected by Aug. 1.

Put another way: Junking the stay-at-home order now would result in 18,000 people needing hospitalization in L.A. County by mid-May, in a county with fewer than 4,000 beds. But maintaining the current level of physical distancing would keep the number of those needing hospitalization under 1,000 by late May, and significantly lower if we improved our physical distancing.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-social-distancing-summer

i'm not sure those projections can be entirely trusted since the infamous "herd immunity" is supposed to stop the spread at 60% :)

Tripon

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6100 on: April 10, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »

We will have to open some stuff up. After the curve flattens, and it decreases, we will need to have people go back to work.  It is not tenable to have everyone locked in their houses until 2022

After the number of new cases/deaths goes down, it would make sense to start opening things up slowly. It's possible that there were a lot more asymptomatic cases than we thought and that reinfection is uncommon.

But if a second wave happens, then you're left with pretty extreme options. Either way, I don't think anyone will be going to a gym, restaurant, or maybe even barbershops until 2022. Most other sectors will also have a decrease since consumers will be hibernating their spending as much as possible.

Tripon

« Reply #6101 on: April 10, 2020, 06:12:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/Jim_Brunner/status/1248652973334335488

Now we got some competing Brrrrr going.

Pennywise

« Reply #6102 on: April 10, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »

:corona_rodney

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6103 on: April 10, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
I wouldn't bet than more of 10% of the population in the most hard hit country have it. Just doesn't jive with the data with have and the virulence.

I also think small business will reopen at some point, unless states are basically willing to bankrupt every bar, restaurant and such. Any large gatherings though... Maybe not this year, yeah.

We hear a lot about quick antiviral tests but it's clearly still being ironed out and not in mass production. Same with masks, I don't think any country over here will have enough for gen pop before June at best. Tracking apps... I'm sure many people will play that game but I don't believe they can force compliance and there will be people not enthused with it (Honestly not sure I'd want to opt in). Without those tools it's hard to see how exactly we can manage resuming jobs and unrestricted fresh air.
ὕβρις

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6104 on: April 10, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" generation imho.
Spud

shosta

« Reply #6105 on: April 10, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
lol what an unabashedly slimy comment
每天生气

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6106 on: April 10, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" generation imho.

Bro unless you were born before 1980, you're a millennial too
Imagine being born in the 80s or 90s. LoL.

Spud

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6107 on: April 10, 2020, 07:09:14 PM »
So you're either 60 or 70. The 70's will be hit just as badly, but probably less so. You went through the Dot-com bust, the "Great Recession" (ugh) and now this. So either you are a sociopath with no sympathy, or a complete idiot.

Or you were born in the 00's which makes you underaged b&. Either way, shut the fuck up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6108 on: April 10, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248748343028670465

Even I don't know what the hell he is talking about  :doge
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6109 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:corona_rodney

"tests performed"
"cases tested"
"people tested"
"samples tested"
"tests sampled"
"units unclear"

:notlikethis

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6110 on: April 10, 2020, 07:13:10 PM »

https://twitter.com/RyanForSmyrna/status/1246953081495060480

Lookin' more like once a century collapse this time

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6111 on: April 10, 2020, 07:14:56 PM »
Listening to Millennials complain about this shit is hilarious. My generation is the one that's actually been saddled with the enormous debt to afford a dream that our parents had.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6113 on: April 10, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »

:idont
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6114 on: April 10, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
Listening to Millennials complain about this shit is hilarious. My generation is the one that's actually been saddled with the enormous debt to afford a dream that our parents had.

:confused
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6115 on: April 10, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
Millennials' pension plan includes a stool and a rope.  :fbm

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6116 on: April 10, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
"My gEnErAtIoN Is tHe oNe tHaT'S AcTuAlLy bEeN SaDdLeD WiTh eNoRmOuS DeBt" he rëtardedly says to a generation that took degrees because the older generations told them to or "you won't get paid well!" Graduated into a recession that didn't GIVE THEM THE FUCKING JOBS to pay the "enormous debt" their parents and grandparents told them to take on for said "better paying jobs" and then struggle to pay off said loans while getting paid shit and working 2-5+ jobs that may last only 3-months at a time.

But sure, "My gEnErAtIoN CaNt aFfOrD ThE DrEaM ThAt oUr pArEnTs hAd" which is the same fucking shit that millennial face just in a different way.

Generally, I'm not being sincere with this, but in this case: Unironically kill yourself, Potato.

(Fuck the word filter in this case, and if Bork and Dogmod want to ban me for telling someone to literally kill themselves for being dumb: Go ahead.)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6117 on: April 10, 2020, 07:38:54 PM »
Literally turn yourself into french fries, Potato.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6118 on: April 10, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »
US at 2004 deaths today

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6119 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
I just realized that chart for 2019 is supposed to be our 'economic boom' time as the economy had never been better.

lmao we are so fucked

🤴