Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082636 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6420 on: April 16, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
Don’t worry, Armin Laschet has a plan that allowing 150.000 students back to school next week will not do any harm.  :doge

And I even voted for this guy, that’s what I get for betraying my party due to my problems with their education policy being single-issue scum. :existential
:ufup

jorma

« Reply #6421 on: April 16, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
You can have semi-normal with a robust testing infrastructure.

You can have semi-normal with a robust testing infrastructure.

you'd have to stretch the meaning of "semi normal" pretty far to make that true

Lockdowns and social distancing (whether mandated or voluntary) will slow the spread if they are adhered to, but it doesn't erase the virus.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6422 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
Semi-normal, as in not knee-capping your economy by isolating everyone instead of small pockets.

BisMarckie

« Reply #6423 on: April 16, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Don’t worry, Armin Laschet has a plan that allowing 150.000 students back to school next week will not do any harm.  :doge

And I even voted for this guy, that’s what I get for betraying my party due to my problems with their education policy being single-issue scum. :existential

Basing your political decisions on one highly controversial, not even finished study is peak galaxy brain.

Schools have three(!) days to prepare a concept to ensure social distancing measures. Yeah, I deserve all the scorn.    :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6424 on: April 16, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
They hand over to outside experts (aka vested interests) at every opportunity. It's what they've been doing for a long time. :goty2

jorma

« Reply #6425 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »

Basing your political decisions on one highly controversial, not even finished study is peak galaxy brain.

Schools have three(!) days to prepare a concept to ensure social distancing measures. Yeah, I deserve all the scorn.    :-\

well at least we know that keeping primary schools open isn't driving the spread significantly according to the experts who has studied it

Fifstar

« Reply #6426 on: April 16, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »

Laschet gambling on that study to rescue his chances to run for Kanzler is pretty disgusting. I guess it's even more tempting now that the CDU chances to win the next election skyrocketed due to the crisis; can't imagine the Greens to rebound with the economic crisis coming and the SPD will stay a walking corpse.

Although I think there are more studies than the Heinsberg study that support the thesis that children and especially small children are a minor factor in the spread of the virus.

Here is a study from iceland where kids below 10 seem to have a significantly lower risk to be tested positive, both in targeted testing and in open testing: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

Only speculation from me, but it seems likely that infections are mainly transmitted from symptomatic people, especially from people that cough/transmit larger amounts of virus. People that get infected by small doses also seem to develop more mild course of disease. As most infected kids expel only small doses of virus, it becomes even more unlikely that groups of little kids infect each other, even if their behaviour can't be controlled.
Gulp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6427 on: April 16, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
Wuhan Grift is also getting exponential.

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/1250595619397386245
ὕβρις

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6428 on: April 16, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »
Anybody got any recs for good masks you can order from Amazon? Preferably something reusable...
^_^

Occam

« Reply #6429 on: April 16, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »

And I even voted for this guy, that’s what I get for betraying my party due to my problems with their education policy. :existential

Wow, that man is a moron.
There'll be lots of dead people in a few weeks.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6430 on: April 16, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »
Ontario
Number of cases: 8,961 (+514)
Deaths: 423 (+38)
Currently under investigation: 4,323

The number of new cases per day has been steady (or slightly increasing) for a long time.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6431 on: April 16, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
We still have very restrictive and limited testing measures so I don't think it's a good statistic to estimate actual spread.  Deaths, ICUs, and hospitalization usage are much better statistics (and the ones we actually care about in the end), however, these have the two-week lag.  I might be hopeful if the number of positive cases was steady while testing was exponentially increasing but that's not the case.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6432 on: April 16, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
Anybody got any recs for good masks you can order from Amazon? Preferably something reusable...

My mom hand sewed me and the rest of our family a mask  :-[
WDW

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Pennywise

« Reply #6434 on: April 16, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »

Schools who didn't start preparations yet should be burned to the ground anyway.

Besides you don't have to come to school after those 3 days. They're not going back to the usual schedule and mainly offer options in spread out classes for those that are writing their finals or who are about to gradudate.
However, no one is forced to go yet.
The NRW education department got everything written down on their page with alot of details. The way they communicated everything, especially by Laschet is woeful.
In general I think it would be okay if you focused on the graduates and let them finish everything. Still pretty weird that they're trying to push their own agenda despite all the other states following one roadmap together.
There are still gonna be cases where you've gotta adjust things. I doubt they're gonna push through with Heinsberg  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6435 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
The situation in Quebec care homes is really dire - 1200 staff are sick and they are asking the military for relief.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6436 on: April 16, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »
The situation in Quebec care homes is really dire - 1200 staff are sick and they are asking the military for relief.

It's probably gotta be similar everywhere. France care homes account for 35% of fatalities now and I think the reporting is still not complete. Wouldn't be surprised it's half by the end. It's probably overestimated a bit because France, AFAIK, just assume all deaths with symptoms since the start of the epidemic is COVID if they have two positives in any of those institutions. I believe Canada does something along those lines.

You had that horrific case of an elder's home in Spain where there wasn't staff anymore when the army went to it and the residents and dead bodies were just... There. Police receiving a tip and finding 17 COVID related deaths in a New Jersey institution. Sweden hard hit there too, etc..

A controversy in the UK because PPE suppliers said they couldn't take orders for Scotland and other home nations under orders from English Health to prioritise supply to England as far as care home staff was concerned. It's been denied officially but there's apparently written evidence one such supplier did interpret something from the administration like that.

For all the talk of "multigenerational homes in Italy with la mama cooking di pasta, that's why they got hit so hard, it's a me journalist Mario !" I suspect concentrating elders may probably be the riskier of the two. In retrospect it's obvious canceling visits should have happened earlier (mid Feb. perhaps...) and there wasn't tests for the staff or residents anyway.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:17:03 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #6437 on: April 16, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/LANow/status/1250818746672963587

https://twitter.com/KBSpangler/status/1250812001217138689

I saw someone else ballpark it as over a million kids. Dr Oz is okay with killing a million plus kids.
NO

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6438 on: April 16, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »
You love to see it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:existential
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6439 on: April 16, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
"First we need our Mojo back"  :dead
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6440 on: April 16, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »

I saw someone else ballpark it as over a million kids. Dr Oz is okay with killing a million plus kids.
He's clearly talking about the overall mortality rate. The CFR for children is below 0.1%. Somehow if every school-age child got infected with a CFR exactly at 0.1% (it's probably much lower because serious cases are disproportionately tested), 50,000 children would die.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6443 on: April 16, 2020, 01:30:30 PM »
https://www.reviewjournal.com/videos/mayor-goodman-calls-business-shutdown-total-insanity-video/

While opening Wednesday's City Council Meeting, Mayor Goodman said that "this shutdown has become one of total insanity." Adding, "For there is no backup of data as to why we are shutdown from the start. No plan in place how to move through the shutdown or how to even come out of it."

"This virus is not going away. It's not going to be going away this month, next month, and much like the flu and other viruses that have impacted populations around the world, this virus, or a derivative there of, will be part of what we work through going forward."

"From my perspective, we must open this city."

"We can not live, going forward, with the medical and health industry telling us that this virus is going to be around longer than a month or two, maybe even a year. We can not keep our heads in the sand and think it's going to go away. We are adults with brains, who can know what to do, to wash our hands, to take all precautions not to spread this disease. But we can not put our heads in the sand and think it's going to go away."

"From my perspective, I am asking, open the city, open Clark County, open the state. For heaven's sake, for being closed is killing us already and killing Las Vegas, our industry, our convention and tourism business that we have all worked so hard to build. The longer we wait to do this, the more impossible it will be to recover and return to the home we all know and love."
每天生气

Flannel Boy

• Icon

shosta

« Reply #6445 on: April 16, 2020, 01:34:49 PM »
President Xi,

I am writing to you again from a place of total desperation. Our chieftan is about to sacrifice us to restore the tourism industry even though there are no tourists. Every night she prays to the old gods that "only one percent die" when she does. I am asking you to accelerate Iran's liberation of California so that the revolutionary guard can march east and free Las Vegas next. With your help we can bring civilization to the desert.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6446 on: April 16, 2020, 01:36:16 PM »
Democratic governors: We must support furry conventions and gambling tourism, reopen the country
actually that's the Indumbpendent mayor of Vegas, our D governor is just holding on to his butt and copying whatever Newsom does
每天生气

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6448 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
Quebec just had 140 deaths in one day. Australia has had 63 total!

Canadian politicians are lucky that Canadians only compare themselves to Americans. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6449 on: April 16, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6450 on: April 16, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6451 on: April 16, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »
Nothing's perfect, OK !
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6452 on: April 16, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/FleeboNews/status/1250833610023809024

These are old deaths that are now confirmed as covid.
Ah yes, the good old backlog of doom.

4000 infections in care homes confirmed across the Netherlands now.
usually about 800 people in such homes die a week, now it's double that at 1600 and very few are registered as 'COVID-19' deaths.

Oops.

Some statistics guy who's usually doing our political polling claims it could be the air circulation in such buildings that causes it.
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6454 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:43 PM »

He's clearly talking about the overall mortality rate. The CFR for children is below 0.1%. Somehow if every school-age child got infected with a CFR exactly at 0.1% (it's probably much lower because serious cases are disproportionately tested), 50,000 children would die.

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than forty to fifty thousand killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6455 on: April 16, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/LANow/status/1250818746672963587

China tried that and nobody really came. :doge But sure, open retail back up. Let them bleed faster.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6456 on: April 16, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than forty to fifty thousand killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.
I wasn't agreeing with the idea. I was just disputing the numbers.

And 50,000 doesn't require any breaks. Just the opposite. It's a ridiculously high number assuming an unrealistic CFR where each coronavirus case = a positive test.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6457 on: April 16, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
Yo, I wasn't trying to engage the topic seriously, bruh, I just wanted to post a funny line from Dr. Strangelove.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #6458 on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
Yo, I wasn't trying to engage the topic seriously, bruh, I just wanted to post a funny line from Dr. Strangelove.

Can't believe I missed that reference (I've watched the movie several times).

Leadbelly

« Reply #6459 on: April 16, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/tuuliel/status/1250385394258063361

The one thing that has become apparent in this crisis is that, there is no winning in this situation. It could turn out that the economic collapse that follows might have far greater impact on the world and lasting damage than the virus did. It is one thing considering what this might do to first world countries, but imagine the devastation it might cause to developing countries.

I don't think now is the time to get all high and mighty about people's opinions on this. Maybe when things work out just fine, you'll have your chance to act smug.

shosta

« Reply #6460 on: April 16, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »
:dead the ideology is strong with this one
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6461 on: April 16, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
Lead's stance has basically been let people die for the last month. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6462 on: April 16, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
it is my opinion that millions of preventable deaths would be a bad thing

sorry if this offends

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6463 on: April 16, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »
Welp, the Wuhan Biolab story is no longer a conspiracy but just discussed with reporters at length at the white house press briefing.

Trump:  "More and more we're hearing the story" that coronavirus began in a research lab in Wuhan.  "We're doing a very thorough examination of what happened".

This was his answer to the question if he had heard about the theory and read the reports on it.

It's gonna be a Wuhan-ghazi.

Don't believe the fugazi on Wugazi.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6464 on: April 16, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
🤴

Leadbelly

« Reply #6465 on: April 16, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Lead's stance has basically been let people die for the last month.

lol

Not exactly. I accept the advice that the lockdown is the way to go with this one. However, I also acknowledge that there is no exit strategy, the virus might come back when lockdown restrictions are lifted, and that the economic consequences to all this might be devastating. The truth is, the lockdown measures were the safest option in a period of uncertainty. We simply didn't know (still don't really) what the outcome would be.

I will make one point though actually. It is basically reiterating the point about there being no winning in this situation. Someone I was listening to made the point that the argument is really 'lives vs lives'. I guess it might turn out that way. Because undoubtedly if there is serious economic collapse it will cost lives. And those worst affected will be those in developing countries.

shosta

« Reply #6466 on: April 16, 2020, 03:14:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/alt_kia/status/1250541552897626112

this is my reality! there are many like it, but this one is mine!
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #6467 on: April 16, 2020, 03:16:28 PM »

sorry if this offends
NOOOOOOOO LE PEEPEEPOOPOOPOVERTY KILLS MORE PEOPLE THINK OF ALL THE SUICIDES NOOOOO YOU CANT JUST GIVE PEOPLE THE STUFF THEY NEED WE'LL BE PAYING THIS OFF FOR JENUHRASHUNS
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6468 on: April 16, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »
So in looking at the data that I have access to, we've crushed the curve here in Sacramento area. That's great news. Each day we get the around the same number of cases. That being said, I fear it's leading to a bunch of people thinking we don't need the protective measures. We're good where we are, lifting everything could easily get us in a spot where we can't keep up.

I suspect that here we'll likely open up non-essential businesses but with social distancing, # of occupant restrictions and lessened hours soon. I expect a ban on public gatherings well through summer.  North East coast though? Nope. You guys are fucked.
que

Leadbelly

« Reply #6469 on: April 16, 2020, 03:22:04 PM »

sorry if this offends
NOOOOOOOO LE PEEPEEPOOPOOPOVERTY KILLS MORE PEOPLE THINK OF ALL THE SUICIDES NOOOOO YOU CANT JUST GIVE PEOPLE THE STUFF THEY NEED WE'LL BE PAYING THIS OFF FOR JENUHRASHUNS

Good point shosta. That is right. ;)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6470 on: April 16, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
I mean it's a reality that governments won't wait for 0% risk to reopen. And I don't think it's really sustainable for SOCIETY  :society on a very basic level to keep things locked down for months on end.

You already have several countries which started rolling out school openings or go with that as their future first step.

If, really, only 3% (or small amount, you get the idea) of the total population is or has been sick... It may be an acceptable, as negligible as possible, risk to take.

But maybe we're speaking only for the USA here ? Yeah, it's probably premature to be considering this now nationwide in that specific case.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:29:09 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6471 on: April 16, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »
I'll keep your things licked down for months.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6472 on: April 16, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1250832589780406278

It :clap was :clap made :clap in :clap a :clap lab

Regardless of whether or not it was made in a lab, I'm hoping that this convinces enough people to put more pressure on China and start shifting their supply chains to a bit closer to home.
^_^

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6473 on: April 16, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
It wasn't made in a lab.  Period.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6474 on: April 16, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
UK ministers who dodge questions every other minute calling for China to answer questions :lol

Occam

« Reply #6475 on: April 16, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
I am sure China is trembling right now before the combined might of the United Kingdom.
Stronger Alone!

Leadbelly

« Reply #6476 on: April 16, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
I don't know what specific questions exactly, but China lied about the virus early on. If you remember it was a doctor that warned the world about the seriousness of the virus and he got in trouble for it. He subsequently died of the virus.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6478 on: April 16, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »

Poodle then ?
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #6479 on: April 16, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »

Poodle then ?

The thought now is that it may have been a pagolin as an intermediary host before jumping to humans.