Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5474625 times)

curly

• cultural maoist
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Plea Deal December
« Reply #28320 on: December 18, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »
New Yorkers should be banned from all levels of politics.

Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Schumer
Fucker ever local asswipe
Fuck Trump
Fuck Hillary
Fuck Bernie

99% of our problems would be solved if we only let California run things

As a Californian whose representative is best known for vaping during a congressional hearing, running an openly racist campaign in 2018, being comically corrupt, and (worst of all) being a gamer, I disagree.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #28321 on: December 18, 2018, 10:39:12 PM »

Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Schumer
Fuck Trump
Fuck Hillary
Fuck Bernie

As a Californian whose representative is best known for vaping during a congressional hearing, running an openly racist campaign in 2018, being comically corrupt, and (worst of all) being a gamer, I disagree.

Congrats, you are the 1%
:O

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #28322 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:19 PM »
As a native Californian born in SF (unlike all those other residents from out of town), I am all for this west coast jingoism.

:rejoice

As a non-native Californian that helped gentrify you out of here, I am also all for this west coast jingoism.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #28323 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:35 PM »
I don't blame you, TVC. I blame Chinamen.
每天生气

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #28324 on: December 18, 2018, 11:10:11 PM »
Era's now entered the era of Beto hatred and its marvelous
püp

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28326 on: December 18, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
I feel like benji will appreciate this:

https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/1074932509014667264
dog

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #28327 on: December 18, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »

Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Schumer
Fuck Trump
Fuck Hillary
Fuck Bernie

Congrats, you are the 1%

My previous rep went to prison for corruption. Oh and our former mayor was basically a demonic sexual harasser. San Diego politicians are surprisingly terrible.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #28328 on: December 19, 2018, 01:24:57 AM »
I feel like benji will appreciate this:

https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/1074932509014667264
The center is failing to hold, and the passionate intensity of our worst impulses is filling the vacuum.

No matter how alarming the abuses and incompetence of the present administration might be, we face the prospect of much worse. Without bold and effective leadership, the nation’s real and serious problems — which are the ultimate cause of our deranged politics — will only fester and worsen. Which, in turn, will only increase the political openings for future anti-democratic demagogues — who, unlike Trump, may possess the self-discipline and focus to translate their dark designs into explicitly authoritarian usurpations. It is no exaggeration to say that the future vitality and integrity of American republican selfgovernment now hang in the balance.

There is only one sure way to quiet our populist distempers and restore faith in democratic institutions, and that is for those democratic institutions to deliver effective governance.
We can make real headway toward a better society by spotting and rectifying the most obvious and egregious injustices. We don’t need to know what awaits on the mountain’s summit as long as we can tell the difference between “down” and “up.”
While we are opposed to the kinds of sweeping substantive constraints on democratic government that some on the right favor, we vigorously support what we call deliberative constraints. Those are rules that correct for democratic pathologies, but without taking away from the people the right to rule themselves.
Because our policy vision so thoroughly scrambles the prevailing ideological categories of left and right, our worldview is hard to pin down with a handy, reductive label. Perhaps one will emerge over time, but for now we’re happy for our combination of idealism about the ends of government, realism about the limits and downsides of government, and pragmatism about how to advance our ideals in a pluralistic society to be intriguingly unclassifiable.

That said, we don’t want there to be any mystery or confusion about the foundational ideals that inspire and inform our policy work. At the Niskanen Center, we are dedicated and unflinching partisans of what Karl Popper called the “open society”: We believe in the equal moral dignity of every individual, the power of reason to guide human affairs, and the promise of peaceful cooperation and exchange among free and autonomous people.
Here in the United States, the illiberal outrages and abuses perpetrated by Donald Trump and his enablers include blatant corruption, racial and religious bigotry and divisiveness, incessant and shameless lying, and repeated attacks on the free press and independent law enforcement.

In the face of this dark menace, the Niskanen Center decided to expand its focus beyond policy analysis and reform. In November 2016, we started the Open Society Project to defend the philosophical and political foundations on which our system of government and social order stand. We have recruited scholars and intellectuals to restate the principles of the open society in terms relevant to contemporary challenges. We have joined and led efforts to defend the norms and institutions of liberal democracy against the corrosive onslaught of the Trump administration and its lackeys in Congress. And we have worked with other small-r republicans and small-d democrats to lay the groundwork for reviving a decent, constructive center-right.
Finally, moderation goes together with a strong commitment to democracy. If we believe in a system of laws created in concert with our fellow citizens, we need to recognize our obligation to understand those fellow citizens and treat them as partners in a collective enterprise even when we disagree. We have an obligation to try to justify our beliefs in terms they can recognize. That is hard, in part because the imperatives of social mobilization — revving up our troops — and persuading the other side draw on very different temperaments and tools. But democracy, of necessity, requires both modes. We need to generate enthusiasm and engagement, or else ordinary citizens will not participate in their own governance. But we need to be capable of persuasion, or we cease to see ourselves as a people engaged in a common enterprise, and politics simply becomes a kind of cold civil war. Learning to do both simultaneously is one of the moderate democratic arts.

This is not an easy task. It means, among other things, that we regularly have to accommodate our understanding of justice to the habits and ways of life of fellow citizens that we might find at best uncomfortable, and at worst repugnant. But for democracy to work in a pluralistic society, we must learn to be moderate even in our pursuit of what we think to be justice. That is why toleration — a virtue that is far from natural and is under significant strain today — is such an important habit to learn, and to teach one other.

Our distinctive vision represents an attempt to learn from and incorporate what is best in a variety of ideological traditions. With this approach, we hope to model the art of moderation. With hard work and a bit of good luck, we can help move our divided society toward the best version of itself, and away from the toxic tribalism of our current politics.

The Niskanen Center's Open Society Project is clearly just an elaborate and dangerous AI created by The Patriots to produce these kind of papers as part of some sinister plot.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28329 on: December 19, 2018, 01:56:21 AM »
Unity08, the think tank!

Rejecting today’s ideological polarization over the size of government as a false dichotomy, our hybrid vision combines the best aspects of the “pro-market” right and the “pro-government” left

After the last three years, anyone saying this is the major faultline in American politics either hasn't paid attention or is lying (very probably to themselves).

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #28330 on: December 19, 2018, 02:41:15 AM »
Because our policy vision so thoroughly scrambles the prevailing ideological categories of left and right, our worldview is hard to pin down with a handy, reductive label. Perhaps one will emerge over time....
our hybrid vision combines the best aspects of the “pro-market” right and the “pro-government” left
congrats on inventing neoliberalism guys
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:45:58 AM by jakefromstatefarm »

shosta

« Reply #28331 on: December 19, 2018, 03:20:40 AM »
You mean fascism :ufup
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #28332 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:04 AM »
I think you're all missing that this is a completely new and never before seen rational and reasoned policy vision. It's not hard to understand why you guys are heavily confused when they have so thoroughly scrambled the very language and nature of politics itself.

benjipwns

« Reply #28333 on: December 19, 2018, 04:31:53 AM »
Wil Wilkinson almost seven years ago:
I’m not interested in identifying which among the many kinds of bleeding-heart libertarian I am because I’m not interested in identifying myself a libertarian. Ideological labels are mutable, but at any given time they publicly connote a certain syndrome of convictions. What “libertarian” tends to mean to most people, including most people who self-identify as libertarian, is flatly at odds with some of what I believe. So I guess I’m just a liberal; the bleeding heart goes without saying.

Here are some not-standardly-libertarian things I believe: Non-coercion fails to capture all, maybe even most, of what it means to be free. Taxation is often necessary and legitimate. The modern nation-state has been, on the whole, good for humanity. (See Steven Pinker’s new book.) Democracy is about as good as it gets. The institutions of modern capitalism are contingent arrangements that cannot be justified by an appeal to the value of liberty construed as non-interference. The specification of the legal rights that structure real-world markets have profound distributive consequences, and those are far from irrelevant to the justification of those rights. I could go on.

Given the prevailing public understanding of “libertarianism,” this ain’t it and I’m no libertarian. And it’s not at all clear to me what is to be gained by trying to get people to retrofit the label to fit my idiosyncratic politics. At any rate, that’s not a project I’m interested in. I am interested in what it means to be free, and the role of freedom in flourishing or meaningful or valuable lives.

One thing I think people need in order to be free in the sense I prefer (I’m not going to spell it out here) is a high level of economic freedom, more or less as the libertarians who make indices of economic freedom  understand it. Standard academic liberals badly understate the importance of economic freedom to freedom more generally. This conviction, that the protection of robust economic rights is essential to any regime shaped by a genuine concern for liberty–is essential to a fully liberal regime–is more than enough get you branded a sort of libertarian by many standard liberals. But one can hold to that conviction while siding with standard liberals against libertarians on many, many other important questions.  The argument over which rights and liberties ought to be treated as constitutional fixed points, and thus ought to be off the table of democratic negotiation, is not a debate between liberals and the people who think taxation is theft or that the state is an inherently criminal enterprise. It’s a debate within liberalism between liberals.

“Liberaltarian,” ugly as it may be, has been useful to me because it offers a convenient label for a position that is neither standard liberalism nor a standard libertarian altenative to standard liberalism. Jason Brennan and John Tomasi’s “neo-classical liberalism” is better, in that it isn’t such a barbaric neologism and doesn’t suggest as much affinity with libertarianism, but also worse, in that it suggests something like the liberalism of neo-classical economists, which it sort of is, but needn’t be.

Labels aside, I’m more interested in arguing with standard liberals about the nature and scope of specially-protected rights and liberties within the settled context of the liberal-democratic nation-state than in arguing with standard libertarians about the justification of taxation, publicly-financed education, or welfare transfers. After all, there are many orders of magnitude more standard liberals than standard libertarians, and they possess many orders of magnitude more influence. We pick our fights, and I’d like to pick ones that stand a chance of making a real difference.
He's come so far since Cato...
The Niskanen Center was founded in early 2015 by Jerry Taylor.[7] At its launch, the center was composed primarily of former staffers of the Cato Institute who departed in the wake of a 2012 leadership struggle pitting Ed Crane against the Koch Brothers for control of the libertarian think tank.[8] Niskanen Center founder Taylor[9] and vice president Joe Coon[10] publicly aligned themselves with Crane during the dispute. Both departed shortly after Crane was replaced by John Allison as president of Cato as part of the settlement with the Kochs.
Okay, maybe not.

ADVISORY BOARD

BRANDON ARNOLD
National Taxpayers Union

RADLEY BALKO
Journalist and Author

TYLER COWEN
Mercatus Center

J. BRADFORD DELONG
University of California, Berkeley

DAVID FRUM
Senior Editor at The Atlantic

EVAN MCMULLIN
Stand Up Republic

VIRGINIA POSTREL
Author and Columnist
:teehee

benjipwns

« Reply #28334 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:06 AM »
Because our policy vision so thoroughly scrambles the prevailing ideological categories of left and right, our worldview is hard to pin down with a handy, reductive label. Perhaps one will emerge over time....
our hybrid vision combines the best aspects of the “pro-market” right and the “pro-government” left
congrats on inventing neoliberalism guys
https://niskanencenter.org/blog/why-not-give-neoliberalism-a-chance-to-save-the-world/

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #28335 on: December 19, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-18/mnuchin-backs-off-trump-s-promise-of-10-middle-class-tax-cut
“I’m not going to comment on whether it is a real thing or not a real thing,” Mnuchin said in a roundtable interview Tuesday at Bloomberg’s Washington office. “I’m saying for the moment we have other things we’re focused on.”

"I can't believe trump would lie like that." - said by no one ever.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #28336 on: December 19, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
Neoliberalism wasn’t the hero we wanted, but it was the hero we needed.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
vin

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28338 on: December 19, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
So everyone is throwing a hissy fit because Trump withdrew all the troops from Syria without telling anyone prior to making the announcement.  :lol
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #28339 on: December 19, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
Black people being mistreated by law enforcement is fake news. Trump, on the other hand, is the real victim. He's been treated very unfairly by the corrupt fake law enforcement media.

kingv

« Reply #28340 on: December 19, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
Kimberly Strassel, as well, can be considered a black woman despite being white because she fought so hard for their rights.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28341 on: December 19, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1075456138278244352

Apparently Bolton and Mattis had no idea Trump was going to take all the troops out of Syria.
They've been telling the press for months that the US would have a presence there as long as it would take to stabilize the region and/or Iran would withdraw.

Will Trump get out of Afghanistan and Iraq as well?  :doge

Won't have to visit the troops in a warzone or shithole country if they're all at home  :ohhh
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #28342 on: December 19, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
can't wait to hear my conservative family members', who have been saying Obama fucked everything up by withdrawing from Iraq too soon, hot take on this

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28343 on: December 19, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
can't wait to hear my conservative family members', who have been saying Obama fucked everything up by withdrawing from Iraq too soon, hot take on this

Oh I'm sure they'll pin the blame for it on Obama somehow, don't you worry.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28344 on: December 19, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »
Seen Trump get rolled too many times to assume there's going to be an immediate, complete withdrawal based on one statement.

agrajag

« Reply #28345 on: December 19, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

Oh I'm sure they'll pin the blame for it on Obama somehow, don't you worry.

I'm waiting for Trump to blame the failing stock market on Obama.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #28346 on: December 19, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
People haven't realized that Trump isn't a traditional conservative, but a reactionary that has his own set of ideals and crazy ass shit that is borne from a unique perspective of being raised in New York real estate environment?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28347 on: December 19, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
Maybe Trump wanted Mattis to leave but Mattis didn't feel like leaving and he can't fire him without making himself look bad.
So he decided to make his job more shitty. Kinda like how supermarkets try to get rid on employees who stick around too long before they ask for a pay raise.

Going directly against Bolton, Pompeo, Mattis and most GOP bigshots sends an important message about who's the captain now.
🤴

Steve Contra

« Reply #28348 on: December 19, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Seen Trump get rolled too many times to assume there's going to be an immediate, complete withdrawal based on one statement.
Trump wanted a big win (on paper), and "we defeated Isis" is a pretty great one for the dumber members of his base (which is all of them). I doubt it will happen anything like it's being reported.
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28349 on: December 19, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »
In other news, there was a ruling against the ACA in Texas which everybody thinks will be overturned.

The obsession in the GOP with overturning "Obamacare" while also pledging to keep all the popular aspects of it makes for some weird politics.

Tripon

« Reply #28350 on: December 19, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
In other news, there was a ruling against the ACA in Texas which everybody thinks will be overturned.

The obsession in the GOP with overturning "Obamacare" while also pledging to keep all the popular aspects of it makes for some weird politics.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article223264945.html

Prime example is Josh Hawley. I don't think this current congress or future congress will touch Healthcare in a significant way as long as Obamacare stays. If it really does get overturned, then you'll see a lot of Republicans lose seats on both the House and Senate side.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28351 on: December 19, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »

One of the few things the GOP has been right about recently is that Obamacare would be nearly impossible to get rid of once it was finally implemented because people would start to like having it around.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #28352 on: December 19, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
Have we talked about anti-BDS pledges in this thread yet? That shit is crazy to me

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28353 on: December 19, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
It's positively fuckin' insane.

Also noteworthy how the people who've been doing the highest profile hand-wringing about "free speech" either give it a perfunctory mention or ignore it altogether (FIRE.org is the one group that's actually good on this).

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #28354 on: December 19, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
I guess it means BDS is having an impact, sure is fucked as fuck tho

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #28355 on: December 19, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
It's positively fuckin' insane.

Also noteworthy how the people who've been doing the highest profile hand-wringing about "free speech" either give it a perfunctory mention or ignore it altogether (FIRE.org is the one group that's actually good on this).

http://fire.org/

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28356 on: December 19, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1075116858490011648

Hahaha take that 70+ year old males  8)

Just look at us sleepwalking straight into Trump 2020.  :doge

Start following the money already
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1075455024921223168

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1075458900298792960

The people supposed to fund Trump Tower Moscow and Rosneft are 'taking over' Oleg's shares.  :idont
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:09:50 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #28357 on: December 19, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1075116858490011648

Hahaha take that 70+ year old males  8)

Just look at us sleepwalking straight into Trump 2020.  :doge

Harris has some weird skeletons in her closet, or out in the open I guess.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/07/politics/kamala-harris-aide-fake-police-department/index.html

(CNN)An aide to California Attorney General and Democratic Senate candidate Kamala Harris was arrested late last week on charges of impersonating a police officer after playing a top role in establishing a fake police department.

Brandon Kiel, Harris' deputy director of community affairs, was charged last Thursday with several counts of "impersonating a peace office" and with misusing his government I.D.
Kiel and two associates, David Henry and Tonette Hayes, allegedly claimed to represent the Masonic Fraternal Police Department, a group that purported ties to the ancient Knights Templar order, which emerged hundreds of years ago during the First Crusade.

Kristin Ford, Harris' press secretary, confirmed Wednesday that Kiel is an employee of the California Department of Justice, but that he was placed on paid leave last week and that the department was cooperating with the investigation.

Masonic? Illuminati?:doge 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28358 on: December 19, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
Among those who learned about Trump's decision from reading news reports were top congressional leaders in both parties and senior military brass. In a more traditional administration, these two groups would have almost certainly been consulted ahead of such a momentous military announcement.

The GOP is fuming Trump took away their war without telling anyone to distract everyone from his failure to get funding for the wall  :lol
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/19/white-house-struggles-to-defend-trumps-syria-withdrawal-plan.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

This fucking guy  :lol
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075528854402256896
🤴

Steve Contra

« Reply #28359 on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
He could have said "I accomplished my mission"

Or better yet, just "mission accomplished" with a banner for effect.
vin

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28360 on: December 19, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
If only you could whisper into the ears of Sidney Blumenthal and Hillary Clinton in 2011 that the Syrian campaign to oust Assad would end with Donald Trump saying: "GG WE WON!" pointing at the sky in a Twitter video.

So over the next few days Trump will be bickering with the "FAKE NEWS!" on whether or not ISIS is defeated while Democrats voice support for more war in Syria and Trump is at war with his own party and national security team.

This season is lit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:27:56 PM by Nintex »
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #28361 on: December 19, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
It's time to bring our heroic young troops home... and send them to the southern border for a political stunt!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #28362 on: December 19, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »
Among those who learned about Trump's decision from reading news reports were top congressional leaders in both parties and senior military brass. In a more traditional administration, these two groups would have almost certainly been consulted ahead of such a momentous military announcement.

The GOP is fuming Trump took away their war without telling anyone to distract everyone from his failure to get funding for the wall  :lol
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/19/white-house-struggles-to-defend-trumps-syria-withdrawal-plan.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

This fucking guy  :lol
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075528854402256896

We'll just leave our shitty young people over there.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #28363 on: December 19, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
It’s almost like this dumb fuck doesn’t realize that he’s just generating great, and timely hearings for the new Congress to look at. Mattis, Pompeo, the Joint Chiefs, and the senate approved CoS Mick Mulvaney are all going to be pulled in from of Congress to testify about the judgment process of deciding to withdraw Syria and whether or not ISIS is “beaten”.

Mnuchin will called in to try to dissemble about why Oleg Deripaska was taken off the sanctions list, and probably call Manafort in about his relationship with Oleg deripaska and what impact he had on the campaign. And Manafort will sit there in an orange jumpsuit and take the 5th for 3 hours why Congressmen yell st him.

Then democrats will put the screws to the Senate and Trump by passing new sanctions on Russia.

Donald definitely does not understand that the minority can do almost nothing but whine in its attempts to protect him, and that going out of his way to antagonize Congress is stupid as all fuck.

agrajag

« Reply #28364 on: December 19, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »
Gee I dunno, maybe he is stupid?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28365 on: December 19, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »

One of the few things the GOP has been right about recently is that Obamacare would be nearly impossible to get rid of once it was finally implemented because people would start to like having it around.

Yup, Ted Cruz was saying in 2013 that a shutdown was their last chance to stop it, cause people wouldn't get rid of it when they had it.

I get that he meant it in a sense of people becoming lazy and dependent, but it still seems like a damning admission that the electorate was going to support this program once they'd actually dealt with it.

Tripon

« Reply #28366 on: December 19, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-los-angeles-teachers-strike-20181219-story.html

Meanwhile, local to my area.

The union representing Los Angeles teachers announced that it will strike on Jan. 10 and that it has no plans to return to the negotiating table.

United Teachers Los Angeles represents about 31,000 teachers, counselors, librarians and nurses. About half a million students would be affected by a strike.

The dispute between the teachers union and the district has reached a point of peril that has not existed since the early 1990s — when a strike was narrowly averted — and 1989, when one was not.

Major difference between the past and now is that there's a lot more charter schools (and private schools) in LAUSD borders that parents will enroll them until this is over.

Himu

« Reply #28367 on: December 19, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/book-party/wp/2018/12/14/feature/anti-trump-conservatives-want-to-reverse-the-gops-destruction-but-they-helped-light-the-fuse/?utm_term=.f9710abeeb88

A biting take on Never Trumpers and their exceedingly growing criticism of their Trump supporting colleagues in the hopes of saving the Republican Party which is instead, making the GOP face increased self implosion. It is long, detailed, and very, very good reporting from Washington Post. Recommended.
IYKYK

Tripon

james

« Reply #28369 on: December 19, 2018, 11:28:54 PM »

Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Schumer
Fuck Trump
Fuck Hillary
Fuck Bernie

Congrats, you are the 1%

My previous rep went to prison for corruption. Oh and our former mayor was basically a demonic sexual harasser. San Diego politicians are surprisingly terrible.

Eh makes sense, thats more Mexico than California

james

« Reply #28370 on: December 19, 2018, 11:30:35 PM »
So everyone is throwing a hissy fit because Trump withdrew all the troops from Syria without telling anyone prior to making the announcement.  :lol

Liberals: Fuck the GOP and their endless warmongering, we are spending billions on useless wars

*Trump pulls forces from Syria*

Liberals:

kingv

« Reply #28371 on: December 20, 2018, 02:15:59 AM »
I’m pretty hands off with the Wars, and think the last 30 years of military adventurism in the Middle East has gotten us a fat load of nothing except 9/11 and some dead kids.

In that sense, I’m perfectly fine pulling out of Syria. If Russia thinks that they would enjoy trying to fuck around in all of these middle eastern civil wars, then we should let them do that. I don’t really care about isis and I don’t really care about Assad. If some other nominally western nation wants to come play boogeyman for ISIS so that ISIS can focus on them, then... we should let them reap the fruits of that effort. The Russian might think they will come out the other end in charge of opec... but somehow I doubt it.

What’s really galling is the circumstances under which this is done, the likely motivations, and the lack of any sort of coherent middle eastern (and also just foreign relations) strategy whatsoever.

Like whose side are we even on? Because the various actions we take seem to have no clear agenda or goal in mind. They don’t even consistently benefit a consistent set of allies except for arguably Russia. Like, we leave Syria which helps Iran which will piss off The Saudis who are supposedly one of our most important allies as of last week.

What I think we are seeing is a mix of straight up corruption/blackmail where he’s returning favors to various benefactors and also the very limited ability of an administration that ultimately views international relations as a series of bilateral transactions but has no governing principle. They’re just basically trying to keep all of the plates spinning and smarter countries are taking advantage of 1) their corrupt nature 2) their stupidity and incompetence.

shosta

« Reply #28372 on: December 20, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
The only consistency in Trump's foreign policy is the narrow-minded pursuit of counterterrorism. That's always been the scariest thing to me. Terrorism is supposed to be a euphemism you use to justify your transgressions. IF Stone warned against politicians who believe their own lies.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #28373 on: December 20, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
You like to smell your own farts, don't you Shosta?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #28375 on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »
Maybe Trump wanted Mattis to leave but Mattis didn't feel like leaving and he can't fire him without making himself look bad.
So he decided to make his job more shitty. Kinda like how supermarkets try to get rid on employees who stick around too long before they ask for a pay raise.

Going directly against Bolton, Pompeo, Mattis and most GOP bigshots sends an important message about who's the captain now.

Putin gave the order and trump didn't go through the proper channels.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #28376 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »

Liberals: Fuck the GOP and their endless warmongering, we are spending billions on useless wars

*Trump pulls forces from Syria*

Liberals:

(Image removed from quote.)

One of the worst takes ever, but no one really expects anything else from you people.
©ZH

Tripon

« Reply #28377 on: December 20, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-not-sign-legislation-without-perfect-border-125129876--business.html
Guess we're having another government shutdown.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Thursday attacked Democrats again for not supporting his proposed border wall and said he would not sign any legislation that does not include his top agenda item, possibly threatening the spending bill that the U.S. Congress is negotiating to avoid a government shutdown.

"The Democrats, who know Steel Slats (Wall) are necessary for Border Security, are putting politics over Country. What they are just beginning to realize is that I will not sign any of their legislation, including infrastructure, unless it has perfect Border Security. U.S.A. WINS!" Trump, who leads the Republican party, wrote in an early morning tweet.

(Reporting by Lisa Lambert and Susan Heavey, Editing by Franklin Paul)

Tripon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28379 on: December 20, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »
Not good!
dog