Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084340 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12900 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
The ending of episode 4 of Westworld > *

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12901 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
So we watched the last episode of S3 for Orange is the new black. Overall we like it a lot. It's pretty compelling character drama (though they pepper that shit more), it's funny and knows how to use black humor, it covers real issues with tact, casting is stellar.

However I can understand the criticism, on reflection it's true that some of the arcs felt a bit forced (Season 2 with Vee, great performance by the actress but the characters around her became way more mean than you would have expected) or going nowhere (Season 3 the whole cult thing. The Norma story is fine, but every follower really became dense for no real reason, bis repetita). The whole love triangle thing with the protagonist was mediocre as well, though it ended on a strong note with regards to the character development of Piper. It helps that the conclusion of S3 was pretty powerful.

The whole theme of private management of prison is one worth having, but they're laying it really thick, I'm afraid it will get too heavy handed.
ὕβρις

Dennis

« Reply #12902 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:37 PM »
I can't help but notice that Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld) is a rather attractive woman.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12903 on: October 24, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty. To believe, there is an order to our days, a purpose.

:brazilcry
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:27:23 PM by toku »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12904 on: October 24, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »
Some people choose to see the ugliness int his world. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty. To believe, there is an order to our days, a purpose.

:brazilcry
Every libertarians nightmare

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12905 on: October 24, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »
Billy in Westworld is such a fucking douchebag. Have some fun, man! It's like he's never played GTA

Dennis

« Reply #12906 on: October 24, 2016, 10:28:56 PM »
Evan Rachel Wood better win all the Emmy's. She is a revelation.

She is so achingly perfect in the role of Dolores.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12907 on: October 25, 2016, 08:16:34 AM »
Evan Rachel Wood better win all the Emmy's. She is a revelation.

She is so achingly perfect in the role of Dolores.
Except that she follows that dork Billy. 

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #12908 on: October 25, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
Black Mirror Season 3: Shut Up and Dance

Jesus fucking Christ

Good ep but "San Junipero" tho
spoiler (click to show/hide)
still crying
[close]

Only watched the first four so far.

Nosedive was like the most skin crawlingly horrific thing committed to TV, till the middle had some really nice humanity and ending which was weird but fitting.

Playtest had a good premise, tons of atmosphere. Ending sucked out loud though.

Shut Up And Dance was kinda just a weird rehash of the ideas of White Bear without the tension or incredible ending White Bear had. Though it was eerie enough to be effective.

San Junipero you just repeat the words "Holy shit" for two hours after watching afterwards while pretending you have something stuck in both your eyes.
I can already tell now they should have had that as the final episode. One of the most triumphant, hopeful, emotional and moving stories committed to screen. In Black Mirror of all things
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12909 on: October 25, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
yeah i dont want to hype it but i was crying or tearing up for a lot of san junipero

Dennis

« Reply #12910 on: October 25, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »
Should I be watching Black Mirror?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12911 on: October 25, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Yes.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12912 on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
yes but I would suggest skipping the very first episode unless you have a high tolerance to beastiality
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12913 on: October 25, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
There are people with a low tolerance to bestiality? 

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #12914 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:55 PM »
yes but I would suggest skipping the very first episode unless you have a high tolerance to beastiality

The first episode is essential because it was based on conversations Brooker had with people working in the news media about an emergency situation and how they would really handle something like that, and also hilarious. The only one I could seriously recommend you skip would be "The Waldo Moment" from Season 2 cause that's a lame duck.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12915 on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »
Yeah, Waldo is by far the worst episode. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend skipping it though. It's meh, but not bad. And by that point you're still watching you obviously like the show so it's not like it will make you stop watching.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12916 on: October 25, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »
Should I be watching Black Mirror?

It's our generation's Twilight Zone. It's pretty amazing.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #12917 on: October 26, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »
Yeah, Waldo is by far the worst episode. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend skipping it though. It's meh, but not bad. And by that point you're still watching you obviously like the show so it's not like it will make you stop watching.

I suppose it also follows White Bear which is basically 50 minutes of being completely bludgeoned so it's a high watermark to follow. Maybe it also holds up better now because of this fucking election and Trump.

Also I'm kinda amused that other internet discussion is freaking about the ending of San Junipero not being what they wanted.

They desperately want it to have a dark twist like every other BM episode, like they are just "Uploaded to the cloud" and the shots of the databanks of the end are showing they are just data now" so it's "bleak" despite Charlie saying during the press interviews before the launch that there would be an episode showing the upside of technology and how it can connect us. It's amusing because, The Twilight Zone had episodes where there' wasn't a cruel twist of fate or karmic retribution to those who deserved it, but a message of hope and belief that humans could work past problems like war and racism and the Zone acted in mysterious ways (Rod Sterling was a WWII veteran but was heavily anti-war and anti-racism till his early death. It really showed in his work). The mass confusion from nerds over San Junipero's ending is amusing considering it's probably the most direct nod to Black Mirror's inspirations yet.

[close]

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:02:23 AM by Take My Breh Away »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12918 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:39 AM »
Yeah I was pretty confused by the discussion with SJ.  Lots of "It's not Black Mirror".  Okay.  Considering that's only the 11th episode in the series I think there's still plenty of room to define what is "Black Mirror".  I thought it was a very refreshing take on the formula

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12919 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »
I liked the first season of Ash vs. Evil Dead ok, but I watched it as the episodes came out each week and it kind of dragged a bit here and there. I suspect it would have been much more enjoyable to binge, so I am planning to do that with season 2.
WDW

Dennis

« Reply #12920 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »
Westworld Episode 4. Show just keeps getting better and better.

:whew

Bebpo

« Reply #12921 on: October 31, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »
I just realized Westworld is sorta an American .hack (MMO-goes wrong and has hidden secrets by the creator) show.

Ash Vs. Evil Dead's second season is actually pretty awesome. It's like they found their footing. They stopped focusing on dumb shit away from Ash and upped the gore in all the right ways.

I'm pretty happy about this, since the first season had it's bright spots but was mediocre overall.

Idk, I think this one's equally mediocre just with more splatterfest.  I haven't watched ep5 but I'm questioning whether I want to or just to bail at the show after ep4.  One full season and 4 eps of S2 seems like enough of the concept.  Every episode is kinda the same thing over and over and it's getting boring.  Which is a shame because I like Ash and his companions, they just need like...a story.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12922 on: November 01, 2016, 05:04:03 AM »
Halston Sage (Crisis) and Penny Johnson Jerald (Castle) have landed series-regular roles in Fox’s untitled live-action hourlong comedic drama created by and starring Seth MacFarlane. Jon Favreau is set to direct the first episode of the series, which is set in space 300 years in the future and follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet.

Character details for Sage and Johnson Jerald’s roles were not provided, as has been the case with other castmembers including Adrianne Palicki, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon and J Lee.
i think i'd feel better about this if Seth wasn't also starring in it

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12923 on: November 02, 2016, 03:03:41 AM »
Finally finished up Stranger things. It was good. I mean it was basically a Stephen King type story which he no longer writes anymore which is a good thing in my book. The girl who played 11 was amazing. She is by far the best thing in the show.

I have no idea what the second season will be about but I wish/hope its an anthology show. Trying to capture magic in the bottle with the same cast again seems like a fool's errand.

Dennis

« Reply #12924 on: November 02, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »
Finally finished up Stranger things. It was good. I mean it was basically a Stephen King type story which he no longer writes anymore which is a good thing in my book. The girl who played 11 was amazing. She is by far the best thing in the show.

I have no idea what the second season will be about but I wish/hope its an anthology show. Trying to capture magic in the bottle with the same cast again seems like a fool's errand.

All the kids were amazing actors really. And that is what made the show. They really caught lightning in a bottle with those child actors.

Usually kid actors are horrible so I shudder to think what the show might have been.

Beezy

« Reply #12925 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Atlanta's season finale aired last night. It was a regular episode by Atlanta's standards, but then ending was great. I hope s2 gets a few more episodes. Maybe 13 instead of 10.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Tasty

« Reply #12927 on: November 04, 2016, 01:32:58 AM »
I just realized Westworld is sorta an American .hack (MMO-goes wrong and has hidden secrets by the creator) show.

Uggggh fine I'll watch it jeeze.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #12929 on: November 07, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
Is the new Justic League out yet?

Tasty

« Reply #12930 on: November 07, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
Is the new Justic League out yet?

Hopefully never.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #12931 on: November 07, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12932 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
The Exorcist is such trash but it's really entertaining for some reason and has a few really good twists so far

Tasty

« Reply #12933 on: November 07, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
The Exorcist is such trash but it's really entertaining for some reason and has a few really good twists so far

After Exorcist II and Exorcist: The Beginning, there's really nowhere to go but up.

Beezy

« Reply #12934 on: November 07, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/07/young-justice-returning-for-season-3

:ohhh  :gladbron :lawd :mynicca :aah :noah :whew :whoo :rejoice :tocry :respect :heyman :mouf :ryker :delicious :success :neo :salute :playa :rejoice
Awesome, time for me to binge watch the first 2 seasons on netflix. I wish we could get more Teen Titans also.

Beezy

« Reply #12935 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
Go started out shit, but it honestly cracks me up now the few times that I've managed to catch it.

Beezy

« Reply #12936 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12938 on: November 08, 2016, 02:31:55 AM »
The family started enjoying Agents of SHIELD, so we're watching that starting from s1e1. Last night we caught up to the episode which aired coincident with The Winter Soldier, and the big reveals about HYRDA started. My wife was so startled, she started asking me if I was a HYDRA agent. :lol

Watching the series again, I'm stunned at how well the tie-in was handled.Re-watching, seeing the arc with The Clairvoyant while knowing his actual identity makes me respect them going the extra distance with a name-value actor like Dourif even for the decoy. Also, having Agent Sitwell in on so many of the movies and repeated TV appearances makes his involvement stronger. The arc works great as a one-two punch with TWS. We're also catching up with the stuff I saw way back when, so I'm happy I'll be in unknown territory soon.

benjipwns

« Reply #12939 on: November 10, 2016, 08:04:41 AM »
Just finished this really long and exhausting series. It started off kinda fine, except one plotline had way too many characters and the other had like none. Nobody was interesting or well written which sucked but it was kinda interesting overall as it seemed like they were setting things up for something bigger. Then suddenly a new character came in and basically took over the whole show but it did make things more interesting. And then in the other plotline they took a side character and made him into a new protagonist so it was more interesting overall for a while. But then they got rid of basically all the characters except for two and it would get really weird and stuff that just seemed unrealistic would suddenly become a huge part of the story and it all really dragged on. Then at the end out of nowhere was this crazy twist ending that they never even setup or foreshadowed or anything. I don't get it.

I guess there won't be another season for three years or so. And maybe only one major character will return which is kinda interesting. I hope the next one they shorten the season and try to make it better written instead of just dragging things out but I dunno I guess it got good ratings as is so they might not change anything. Main thing is I'm afraid they're going to rehash plotlines, they already did it within the same season a bunch of times and I sorta tuned out for periods.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12940 on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »
Did I miss where you mentioned the series name?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12941 on: November 10, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »

The piss take
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #12942 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »
Don't Trust The Cacs In The Midwest

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12943 on: November 10, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
:(  Mother.Fucker.  I need coffee.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12944 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
Just finished the new Black Mirror season. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Shut Up and Dance was my favourite of the lot. Like, none of it feels good. So bleak.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12945 on: November 16, 2016, 07:04:49 AM »
Up to ep 10 of s2 in Agents of SHIELD now. After the Winter Soldier tie-in, it feels like all bets are off. The fallout for Fitz' hypoxia, Ward's pathology, and Coulson's new responsibilities have been dark and frightening. It's suspenseful when it feels like anyone on the team can be touched, and that's where we are now.

Mack, Bobbi, and Hunter are good additions to the team. They're bringing fresh friendships and feuds into what had been an overly-comfortable family situation in s1.

At the same time, Reinhardt/Whitehall makes a good, creepy villain but with the other allies the baddie has chosen, it seems more like a matter of who's going to do him in first.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12946 on: November 17, 2016, 03:13:59 AM »
Up to ep 10 of s2 in Agents of SHIELD now. After the Winter Soldier tie-in, it feels like all bets are off. The fallout for Fitz' hypoxia, Ward's pathology, and Coulson's new responsibilities have been dark and frightening. It's suspenseful when it feels like anyone on the team can be touched, and that's where we are now.

Mack, Bobbi, and Hunter are good additions to the team. They're bringing fresh friendships and feuds into what had been an overly-comfortable family situation in s1.

At the same time, Reinhardt/Whitehall makes a good, creepy villain but with the other allies the baddie has chosen, it seems more like a matter of who's going to do him in first.

Whelp, that suspense didn't last long. The big reveal on the alien code is a little let-down. Getting rid of the Red Skull's apprentice happened sooner than I expected. Side note: I'd like to see Dichen Lachman in more stuff; I liked her in Dollhouse -- hopefully there is room for more flashback stuff.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12947 on: November 17, 2016, 03:14:53 AM »
http://www.zakazanaplaneta.pl/2016/10/11/trailer-dark-tower/

Non-imbeddable trailer for Idris Elba in The Dark Tower. Looks intriguing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12948 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »

Whelp, that suspense didn't last long. The big reveal on the alien code is a little let-down. Getting rid of the Red Skull's apprentice happened sooner than I expected. Side note: I'd like to see Dichen Lachman in more stuff; I liked her in Dollhouse -- hopefully there is room for more flashback stuff.

AOS moves all its plots pretty fast, which I loved.  Sick of seeing plot lines stretched for 24 episodes when they can be 5 or 7. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12949 on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »

Is this the rough trailer without sfx that leaked awhile back or the real full trailer? 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12950 on: November 17, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Anyone else notice a sharp decline in writing quality in Ash vs Evil Dead around the 7th episode?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12951 on: November 17, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »
This weeks Brooklyn 99 was great. Andre Braugher is just a delight, and Chelsea Peretti is hilarious. Highly recommended

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12952 on: November 17, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
As if I could afford the veneers. I'm just a sucker of Mike Schur shit I guess  :yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12953 on: November 17, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »

Is this the rough trailer without sfx that leaked awhile back or the real full trailer?
No sfx, lot of placeholder stuff.

It's a movie, dad.
:o :o :o

All this time, I assumed it was a limited run TV series, like Westworld. Holy shit.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12954 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »
Yeah I'm going to wait for the full trailer.  It's supposed to be in December I think.  They're also supposedly doing a companion TV series that according to rumor will cover the Wizard and Glass era.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12955 on: November 20, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »

AOS moves all its plots pretty fast, which I loved.  Sick of seeing plot lines stretched for 24 episodes when they can be 5 or 7.

There were a couple of "dead" episodes. Maybe ep 12 & 13? Where I was just not feeling it. It was disorganized, and things progress a little, but it was basically filler. Lady Sif with amnesia and some mediocre comic relief with an alien enforcer come looking for Skye or maybe Raina. And another episode where they're just teasing "What are Mockingbird and Mack up to?!" BLEH. And then the next four episodes were just nonstop action and continuity. It is pretty great.

Dennis

« Reply #12956 on: November 25, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Should I start watching Walking Dead?

There is a lot of seasons and the series doesn't have the best reputation but the Negan situation teaser (I am not spoiled on it) seemed interesting.

Yay or Nay?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12957 on: November 25, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
I haven't seen anything from the current season but if you're not already invested I don't think it's worth it. There are so many lows in the series. It can be a slog. Chances are they will fuck up the Negan stuff and make it boring. It's what they do best.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12958 on: November 25, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
This weeks Brooklyn 99 was great. Andre Braugher is just a delight, and Chelsea Peretti is hilarious. Highly recommended

Recently got caught up on the show after falling like a season and a half behind. Andre Braugher as usual steals every scene and is the most underated actor on television. As usual.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12959 on: November 26, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »

Recently got caught up on the show after falling like a season and a half behind. Andre Braugher as usual steals every scene and is the most underated actor on television. As usual.

Really? I thought Braugher is recognized far and wide as a superb actor. He's a damned gem.

Not sure what the mid-season break was for B99; I was missing it fiercely. It's the only show to which I'm subscribed.