Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 85755 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Xbox Series X
« Reply #660 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:19 AM »
I actually... like the look of the Series S? Of course it's in white so it's by default disgusting. WTF console manufacturers, stop with this white bullshit. HARAM.

I agree with INTERNET VIDEO GAME PERSONALITY ALANAH PEARCE that the big news is the 2 year All Access financing options. MS seems to be going in hard on those and tbh will probably start touting those numbers as opposed to "consoles sold" and "attach rate" and other traditional metrics. (I also agree with her that I prefer single player games where I'm not forced to interact with other disgusting human beings so this trend is worrisome at best)

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #661 on: September 08, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
It doesn't automatically follow but I feel like traditionally MS more successful offerings have been multiplayer oriented, also as everyone knows if you're not milking a title with season passes and microtransactions are you even trying bruh
yar

Cheddahz

« Reply #662 on: September 08, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »
I would honestly go with the Series S if it had a disc drive (the Xbox One X serves as my media machine and I'm a sucker and still buy some movies physically); the price points for these are good if true though

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #663 on: September 08, 2020, 09:49:02 AM »
Being able to play all your Xbox One games, and even Xbox 360 and Original Xbox games in a tiny $300 package  :bernie
fat

Beezy

« Reply #664 on: September 08, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
This made me realize that the Switch has been out for 3.5 years and the price has not budged from $299. Who says no one makes money off hardware? Fucking Nintendo.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #665 on: September 08, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
waiting for Fable to be GAAS

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #666 on: September 08, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »
This is basically Microsoft giving up on the next-gen performance crown while simultaneously promoting the most powerful console on the market.
Games made exclusively for PS5 will have a higher baseline spec.

On the flip side, they are giving Nintendo a big opening for a Switch 2 in 2021/2022 with comparable power at that price point thanks to Nvidia's AI magic.
They just handed Nintendo a gift by opening the door to ports by not locking 'next-gen' behind the 9TF PS5 barrier.
If Nintendo wants, Nvidia can easily get them up to parity with their next-switch if they include some DLSS tricks.

Switch 2
Handheld mode: 720p - 1080p (no ray-tracing / no DLSS)
Docked mode (embedded Tensor cores): 1080p / 4k (DLSS/Ray-tracing)
It's a thing called heat.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #667 on: September 08, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
No disc drive makes sense for them to have a "cheap Gamepass machine", but personally the only reason i would've considered an Xbox right now, was going to be as a cheap BC machine to play (OG)xbox and 360 games... so this is a bit of a bummer.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #668 on: September 08, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
Wonder what the storage on the Series S will be and if you can connect external storage to it. "Play all your old games" is cool but...
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #669 on: September 08, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »
Wonder what the storage on the Series S will be
512GB SSD

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #670 on: September 08, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
External HDDs are used to play Xbox OG, 360, and Xbone games (Xbone games might use the SSD, but I'm sure they'd use a HDD), the SSD is used for current gen games. You can also store current gen games on the external HDD, and transfer them to the SSD to be used.

The Series S has a 500 GB SSD, PS5 is 800 GB, Series X is 1 TB.

Regardless of what console you get, data transferring or expansion is gonna be a necessity if you wanna play a lot of games at once.
OH!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #671 on: September 08, 2020, 11:18:35 AM »
How do you attach Xbox, 360, and Xbone disc games you to your account using the SS? I'm guessing you don't, but could there be another solution? Besides using an Xbone, that is.

benjipwns

« Reply #672 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
Microsoft should figure out a way for me to plug-in a USB DVD drive to serve as the check for retail discs for Xbox and 360 games. I would highly consider their Series S simply for this plus Gamepass. :money

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #673 on: September 08, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
How do you attach Xbox, 360, and Xbone disc games you to your account using the SS? I'm guessing you don't, but could there be another solution? Besides using an Xbone, that is.

I dont understand the question here - no disc drive means no disc games - you can buy them on the store, or at least whats available digitally still

Games dont get "added" to your account if you use a disc
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #674 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:50 AM »
I never looked into how the licensing works. :B

So you basically have to validate with a disc every time you play the game. OK. In that case, what Benji said.

Svejk

« Reply #675 on: September 08, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
 :hmm

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #676 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »
No one cares about discs anymore but I could see them selling an external BD drive for people to play movies or their old Xbox game library. Similar to the HD-DVD thingy, but like $50 bucks. I doubt they'll expect it to eat into their digital sales tbh as that's the prevailing trend with all software for several years now.

Also a funny thing I just realized but the reason they made the top vent black is possibly because a lot of people have a tendency to stack things on top of flat/horizontal computers. The color scheme actually doesn't look too terrible to me but I prefer electronics to have a uniform color. It's probably been focus tested on normies but it looks like boba tea to me.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #677 on: September 08, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »
I actually... like the look of the Series S? Of course it's in white so it's by default disgusting. WTF console manufacturers, stop with this white bullshit. HARAM.

I agree with INTERNET VIDEO GAME PERSONALITY ALANAH PEARCE that the big news is the 2 year All Access financing options. MS seems to be going in hard on those and tbh will probably start touting those numbers as opposed to "consoles sold" and "attach rate" and other traditional metrics. (I also agree with her that I prefer single player games where I'm not forced to interact with other disgusting human beings so this trend is worrisome at best)

I keep getting recs for this bish's vids on youtube, but as a gamer bigot i don't wanna hear vidya talk from a god damned female  :comeon :gamer :maduro :biden :rash
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #678 on: September 08, 2020, 02:09:49 PM »
What tires me mostly is that there's like 3 genuine sources and 10 000 channels repeating that same information over and over again in different formats giving the same opinions.

Oh and they all start with: "Well you know, we feel this subject has been discussed at length so I wasn't really sure if I should bring it up BUT"
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #679 on: September 08, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »
i'm sure nintex can give us the low down :trumps
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #680 on: September 08, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/9/8/21426947/microsoft-xbox-series-s-specs-pricing-release-date-trailer-leak

Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox Series S console leaked earlier today, just before the company officially confirmed its $299 pricing. Now a new leak is providing more details on exactly what’s inside the smaller Xbox Series S. Twitter leaker WalkingCat has posted a promotional video for the Series S, confirming that the console is targeting 120fps gaming at up to 1440p resolution and offering 512GB of storage.

The Xbox Series S will also include support for ray tracing, variable rate shading, and variable refresh rate. Microsoft is also including support for 4K media streaming, and even 4K upscaling for games. The video also reveals the Xbox Series S is the smallest Xbox ever, and it will be 60 percent smaller than the bigger Xbox Series X.

Series S seems to be offering an amazing value for it's price.  512 GB of storage is low, but as long as it can be upgraded, it shouldn't matter.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #681 on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:51 PM »
Series S seems to be offering an amazing value for it's price.  512 GB of storage is low, but as long as it can be upgraded, it shouldn't matter.
Has this been confirmed?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #682 on: September 08, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
i'm sure nintex can give us the low down :trumps
The trend is scalability, get your games working on as many platforms as possible and that won't change anytime soon.
The fewer machines they have to adapt for, the happier the developers are.

They aren't thrilled having to do QA/Certification and Optimization for:
Xbox One -> PS4 -> PS4 Pro -> Xbox One X -> Xbox Series S -> PlayStation 5 / PS5 DE -> Xbox Series X -> PC

(and if they're really unlucky add Mobile, Switch and Stadia into the mix)

The base target is always the lowest spec machine.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Xbox Series S and X
« Reply #683 on: September 08, 2020, 07:44:06 PM »
With the GPU generally being the most expensive and critical component for defining the "next gen" and Series X having a GPU 3x as powerful as the Series S, this seems kinda pointless for people actually wanting that next gen differential.

That said, it will run great, play all the same games and fit into your tv cabinet sooo :doge

Not the product for me I guess
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #684 on: September 08, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
With the GPU generally being the most expensive and critical component for defining the "next gen" and Series X having a GPU 3x as powerful as the Series S, this seems kinda pointless for people actually wanting that next gen differential.

That said, it will run great, play all the same games and fit into your tv cabinet sooo :doge

Not the product for me I guess
Microsoft seems to have realized that plenty of gamers are still stuck on 1080p and all that GPU power is wasted on them.
It does significantly lower the bar for what constitutes as 'next-gen' though.

But with Fortnite and the cartoony cringe aesthetic being the norm these days, I can hardly blame them.
🤴

mormapope

« Reply #685 on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »
Keep in mind as well, they'll probably be a mid gen upgrade console, one a lot more powerful than the X.

Depending on if next gen has games worth playing right away, even if you have a 4K tv, buying an S and upgrading a few years down the line would work well for a lot of people. Not to mention the S getting a refresh, where a few years later, it'll have a stronger GPU that makes it comparable to the X.

This combined with Xbox All Access and being able to get an Xbox as long as your credit isn't fucked, Xbox in North America at the very least is going to be popular again.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #686 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
yeah, Microsoft is going for the American market for sure.

It won't move the needle in Europe or Japan one bit but they don't seem to care.
🤴

naff

« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2020, 08:09:39 PM »
If all the Series X is doing with 8 tflops extra gpu power is rendering a higher internal resolution and the series S is upscaling, there's going to be a million videos about both consoles games looking exactly the same.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2020, 08:12:01 PM »
also, over 50% of the market own 4k sets now.
◕‿◕

mormapope

« Reply #689 on: September 08, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

It's less about what people own for TVs and monitors, and more about how many people that own 4K tvs care about utilizing that resolution. 4K is the new standard, but how many casuals give a shit about a game being rendered at 4K?

OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #690 on: September 08, 2020, 08:30:51 PM »
I think it looks cool.

The GPU being the only weaker component is gonna be interesting.. will be curious to hear what devs say about it.
This is confirmed? I was assuming also less memory and lower clock speeds on the CPU?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #691 on: September 08, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »
The CPU is identical between XSX/XSS but the S does have less RAM as apparently you need a lot less when you target a lower resolution.

The S also has a 512GB SSD instead of 1TB but that's a QoL downgrade rather than a performance one.

If all the Series X is doing with 8 tflops extra gpu power is rendering a higher internal resolution and the series S is upscaling, there's going to be a million videos about both consoles games looking exactly the same.

A bit unlikely for someone to have a 1080P TV with both an XSX and an XSS connected to it though....

Such a person may have both a PS5 and XSS, however, and their impressions there will be hilarious. An XSS rendering at 1080P should have significantly better performance than a PS5 rendering at 4K. Not to mention the PS5 is going to be screaming at 2.2 GHz while the XSS is around 1.5 GHz. Power consumption (and heat/noise) increase exponentially with overclocks which is why I still think that Sony originally intended to go for an 8 TF console.

naff

« Reply #692 on: September 08, 2020, 08:59:38 PM »
More like the Digital Foundry comparisons and such. Expect a lot of comparisons like:

It's less about what people own for TVs and monitors, and more about how many people that own 4K tvs care about utilizing that resolution. 4K is the new standard, but how many casuals give a shit about a game being rendered at 4K?

I think a lot actually do care in an emotional stupid kinda way, but just kinda absorb the marketing guff and assume what they're playing is 4k. Upscaled, native. Whatever. The majority don't care for sure, but if they see a video from DF or the like saying that "the Xbox Series S with upscaling looks the same as Series X with Halo 6" they would likely feel a little raw. That's why it's such a huge waste of resources. Get slightly less jaggy hair and smoother AA on sub pixel text and object edges! WOOO. YEAH. Can't believe that only incurred a 4 fold performance overhead.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:05:19 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #693 on: September 08, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
Has this been confirmed?

Not that I saw.  But I can't see it not being either upgradable or external drives being compatible.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #694 on: September 08, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
I believe there's an expansion slot for SSD storage. The internal SSD can't be taken out or replaced in a conventional way IIRC.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
And EA Play coming to Game Pass
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
Amazon link for Series X

https://amzn.to/3m8eCwr
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
link already dead. did it have the payment option deal or is that going to be something else?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2020, 10:03:52 AM »
I hadn't seen this. wonder how much this option will be.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »
link already dead. did it have the payment option deal or is that going to be something else?

> Preorders Start September 22 <
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
I hadn't seen this. wonder how much this option will be.

(Image removed from quote.)

There's a price leak somewhere. Think it was $199. Not cheap.

This is giving me Sony memory card/stick vibes.  Hope there's cheaper options out there.
ど助平

Switters

« Reply #701 on: September 09, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
My friends. I need advice. Put this to rest for me.

What is the better option?

Cyberpunk on xbox s

Cyberpunk on a i5 - 1660 GTX - 16gb

Or slap a new card with rtx in the old Personal Computer

4k TV

I already have gamepass and love it.

troll

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #702 on: September 09, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »

Cyberpunk on xbox s

4k TV

If it were me honestly I'd probably get a Series S, guessing it would be cheaper than any card you could get that would make a difference and it would likely upscale ok on your tv
yar

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #703 on: September 09, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
I would think the new RTX option, but haven't read on anything about bottlenecks, etc. and may want/need more of a rebuild. upscaled on s may be easiest option?

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #704 on: September 09, 2020, 01:31:14 PM »
If you’re fine with a used card, you can pick up a 2000 series one at a significant discount right now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #705 on: September 09, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »

Cyberpunk on xbox s

4k TV

Cyberpunk will always be better on PC but you will need quite the rig.
What type/gen of i5 do you have?

I would wait for Digital Foundry tests and such to see how it runs on the various platforms before making a decision.
It is not out of the question it runs like shit on anything but an RTX.  :doge
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #706 on: September 09, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #707 on: September 09, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

At 4TF this would be equivalent to a RX5300(?)
The current PC workhorse @1080p (GTX 1660) has this GPU beat in performance on paper.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #708 on: September 09, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
Didn't RDNA2 calculate TF differently?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #709 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »

The current PC workhorse @1080p (GTX 1660) has this GPU beat in performance on paper.

Isn’t the Xbox one x better in the flop department :thinking
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #710 on: September 09, 2020, 06:51:06 PM »

It is, XOX was 6TF, vs 12TF for the XSX and 4TF for the XSS

Didn't RDNA2 calculate TF differently?
I think that was Nvidia, and the 12 TF is mentioned here for the XSX, which was measured against the XOX's 6TF when they originally announced it.
Of course TF"s don't tell the whole story (it'll be a newer architecture, better feature set etc. ) but 20 CU's isn't a lot.

According to Jeff Grubb, Microsoft is selling the Series S at a bigger loss than the Series X.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:01:21 PM by Nintex »
🤴

kingv

« Reply #711 on: September 09, 2020, 10:52:37 PM »
If you’re fine with a used card, you can pick up a 2000 series one at a significant discount right now.

I think we need to wait a few more weeks for the real deals. I'm still seeing like $450 for a used 2080. I don't think that's going to be competitive in price per performance with the 3000 series (if you can find one anywhere near MSRP).

I think I'm probably just going to go for the X first. I do most of my gaming on xbox already. Series X + Yakuza 7 is probably my winter gaming purhcase.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #712 on: September 10, 2020, 12:44:59 AM »
Seems Xbox All Access will come to Denmark, so I might get a new console after all :)

Just not sure between the X and the S, already have a One X

It could be but the better cpu and new architecture could still make the S equal or better maybe? If the cpu was a big bottleneck on the one x that is.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #713 on: September 10, 2020, 02:31:56 AM »

:rimshot

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #714 on: September 10, 2020, 04:46:22 AM »

:rimshot

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #715 on: September 10, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #716 on: September 10, 2020, 12:11:30 PM »

Ronald also explained how Series S will resemble and differ from Series X, explaining that they both include the same CPU architecture running at 3.6GHz, but have separate GPUs. The Series S GPU is designed specifically for a 1440p output, at up to 120 frames per second (with upscaling for 4K TVs). However, all next-gen features should be otherwise the same.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #717 on: September 10, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
Seriously though... why is that big speaker looking spot/vent black while the rest is white?  It looks dumb as hell.  It'd look more sleek being a uniform color; all black or all white.   Looks cheap AF.  :kobeyuck  Like a Ferrari with a polished turd as a hood ornament.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #718 on: September 10, 2020, 01:01:41 PM »
Seriously though... why is that big speaker looking spot/vent black while the rest is white?  It looks dumb as hell.  It'd look more sleek being a uniform color; all black or all white.   Looks cheap AF.  :kobeyuck  Like a Ferrari with a polished turd as a hood ornament.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:respect
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #719 on: September 10, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
That’s why I’m only interested in the big boys edition :pimp
(ice)