Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 245487 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #1500 on: June 02, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
I saw Mandark liking a Nintex post and then he revoked it.

COWARD :bolo

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1501 on: June 02, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
They didn't stop to listen to the whole song?  This is what fake news looks like. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1502 on: June 02, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/amazontrollop/status/1267623083134914563

Clout sharks :stahp

One of the Top 5, here's the other four:

1. Trump
2. Trump Enablers
3. Trump Voters
4. The Dutch
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #1503 on: June 02, 2020, 10:58:44 AM »

Showing the justaposition of destruction and the enduring beauty of dat ass.

Art ignoramus Esch. :pacspit

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

BisMarckie

« Reply #1505 on: June 02, 2020, 11:02:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/Arosebynature/status/1267830751933771781

When the window is already broken, it is better and safer to remove it entirely. Not putting it beyond them to smash windows themselves, but that is the more likely explanation.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1507 on: June 02, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »
Oooooh I get it . Jpg

shosta

« Reply #1508 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »
I woke up and found out we shot a cop in the back of the head here in Vegas, RIP protests  :doge
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1509 on: June 02, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
After these riots there is a (good) chance Trump will get reelected.

Nothing to change some allies and undecided people into enemies then some "if you are not with us then you are against us and a racist" rhetoric and seeing your country burn.

I'll be the one to agree in a sense: Riots do have a voting affect. There's been studies done on this...

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/will-todays-riots-spur-electoral-backlash-like-1967s.html

I however don't agree in the sense that "Trump will win, for sure." I was 80% sure of it when Bernie dropped out (#NoTNoShade) but now? I'm about 60-65% sure. It's iffy only because a lot of folks in America are tired of the police and the system abuse of the police.

Now where I'll agree with you on "Trump will win," is that it depends on white folks. Do they balk at the riots in greater numbers than the ones that agree? Hard to say. They may, but I can't say with any certainty that they do right now.

Will they vote in greater numbers than the other races/PoC/whatever you want to put as a term here? Eh... maybe? Thing is, whites are a declining majority with birthrates/etc. But that point hasn't been reached yet, if research/estimations are holding (IIRC, it's another 4 election cycles away? 2040-2050 or so before the White Majority is a minority in America).

Trump is doing a dismal job, everyone knows it. The question is: Will his voting base turn out to vote him again MORE than the folks that want to get him out. AND know the Electorial College system (aka: Midwest gets bigger votes than NYC/NY state) to beat because "popular vote ain't shit!" like Gore and Clinton should have drilled into the folks head after the previous 20 years that had them lose despite popular vote.

That's where I get my 65% confidence in that: The "rural" states are the ones that generally probably won't see too much brutality. Yeah, Michigan and Minnasota have seen it, but smaller towns generally don't. That's where the question of "is the message hitting?" comes to. Do those rural places that maybe have 1-2 cops seeing them understand that those cops MAY not be as good as they appear? *shrug* Can't say. Depends on if the message sticks until November, 4-5 months away.

BUT ANYWAY: You're Polish/non-American. Like Trashy (and Sage): You should shut the fuck up. :kermit Because the police brutality issue going on in America doesn't affect your day-to-day.
Trump is handling the situation like an absolute bitch.
However bad Biden is as a contender, i can't see these riots helping him [Trump] in the slightest.

That said, regarding the big text: You guys are constantly shoving your ass in everybody's face, so you'll just have to suffer everybody talking about your shit regardless of their qualification.  :piss :usacry :piss2

shosta

« Reply #1510 on: June 02, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »
that Italian sprezzatura :delicious
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1511 on: June 02, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »
Yeah that’s fine, just expect us to tell you when you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about

ETA: I wish I felt as confident as others itt with regards to Trump’s shot at re-election. There’s still a lot of white ppl on timelines saying these despicable acts need to stop no matter what...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1512 on: June 02, 2020, 11:45:30 AM »
I like that in these past 3 pages, Jaydub seems to not want to engage on police departments all over the country beating, pepper spraying, shooting rubber bullets and gas canisters at, as well as throwing flash bang grenades at 100% peaceful protesters and directly targeting members of the media, live on TV, repeatedly, daily for the past week and instead insists the police are just doing their jobs to take care of rioters.

That's because he has put rather a lot of thought into logical consistency; he's scrutinized and changed his views over the years until he could be satisfied with the resulting framework, and that framework has endured through testing it in debate to the point where he doesn't need to engage with people who disagree with him.  He's shaved the corners of those square pegs and made them round and now needs to tell the world of his round solutions, even though he was telling the world of his square ones too when he had those.  Current examples include, the use of force on peaceful demonstrators or becoming more tolerant of state-sanctioned murder and targetting the media.

Also, unfortunately he has a strong SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET impulse and so likes to only come back to Bore after black people die on camera or when citizens unethically ask for better health care; like a cockroach that only comes out when it's dark.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1513 on: June 02, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
So this is a stupid footnote, but a Facebook page about cute animal videos and conservation efforts posted in support of BLM and its wild to me that a group of people brought together by their empathy for animals has such a high prevalence of people who can’t empathize with people of another race, the comments are ww3

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1514 on: June 02, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »
After these riots there is a (good) chance Trump will get reelected.

Nothing to change some allies and undecided people into enemies then some "if you are not with us then you are against us and a racist" rhetoric and seeing your country burn.

I'll be the one to agree in a sense: Riots do have a voting affect. There's been studies done on this...

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/will-todays-riots-spur-electoral-backlash-like-1967s.html

I however don't agree in the sense that "Trump will win, for sure." I was 80% sure of it when Bernie dropped out (#NoTNoShade) but now? I'm about 60-65% sure. It's iffy only because a lot of folks in America are tired of the police and the system abuse of the police.

Now where I'll agree with you on "Trump will win," is that it depends on white folks. Do they balk at the riots in greater numbers than the ones that agree? Hard to say. They may, but I can't say with any certainty that they do right now.

Will they vote in greater numbers than the other races/PoC/whatever you want to put as a term here? Eh... maybe? Thing is, whites are a declining majority with birthrates/etc. But that point hasn't been reached yet, if research/estimations are holding (IIRC, it's another 4 election cycles away? 2040-2050 or so before the White Majority is a minority in America).

Trump is doing a dismal job, everyone knows it. The question is: Will his voting base turn out to vote him again MORE than the folks that want to get him out. AND know the Electorial College system (aka: Midwest gets bigger votes than NYC/NY state) to beat because "popular vote ain't shit!" like Gore and Clinton should have drilled into the folks head after the previous 20 years that had them lose despite popular vote.

That's where I get my 65% confidence in that: The "rural" states are the ones that generally probably won't see too much brutality. Yeah, Michigan and Minnasota have seen it, but smaller towns generally don't. That's where the question of "is the message hitting?" comes to. Do those rural places that maybe have 1-2 cops seeing them understand that those cops MAY not be as good as they appear? *shrug* Can't say. Depends on if the message sticks until November, 4-5 months away.

BUT ANYWAY: You're Polish/non-American. Like Trashy (and Sage): You should shut the fuck up. :kermit Because the police brutality issue going on in America doesn't affect your day-to-day.
Trump is handling the situation like an absolute bitch.
However bad Biden is as a contender, i can't see these riots helping him [Trump] in the slightest.

That said, regarding the big text: You guys are constantly shoving your ass in everybody's face, so you'll just have to suffer everybody talking about your shit regardless of their qualification.  :piss :usacry :piss2

Sure. But a Polish person living in Europe coming in and going ":smug This is why Europe is better" (when they have the same issues just different) can promptly fuck off.

As for your former point: Yeah, Trump is bungling it. But that doesn't mean shit to his base. That's what a lot of you are missing: Bush absolutely bungled the 9/11 response, and yet he got voted in a second time. I'm on the opinion of "don't underestimate the power of stupid people in America" because 1) it's been proven repeatedly and 2) no matter how bad Trump is, if his base has stuck with him over the past 4 years, they'll stick with him in the election.

So again: It comes down to: Which voting bloc will turn out on the Electorial College map. The "ORANGE MAN BAD" is popular opinion, yes. BUT is it the "electorial" opinion in places that aren't NYC, LA, Miami, Detroit... etc.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1515 on: June 02, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
To be clear i'm not saying Trump's already lost.
I'm saying these riots aren't helping him, especially right after/together with the pandemic crisis.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1517 on: June 02, 2020, 12:06:16 PM »
Went to check out my surroundings this morning. As I suspected the target on the corner was dinged up. Didn't appear looted, just collateral damage. But front door seemed untouched and all the side windows which would have provided a good "in" were untouched. Strolling to the subway station I was expecting a little more damage cause yesterday is the first time I heard voices of conflict outside my window. I very clear "Get on the ground!" several times at about 9:30 PM. But to my surprise that area appears untouched, so who knows what exactly was going on.

I have a one way street that connects with the main streets on one of the sides of my building and the city has scraped a chunk of it so that people don't use it in the "wrong direction". Did see last night that some cars and cop cars used the "wrong direction" of the street, but I would say in some cases it's because there might have been something up on the left side so the cars would then take a right to not fall into some chaotic situation.

Meanwhile, I went to go look at a larger street a few blocks away from me and that has been untouched. Various precautionary boarding ups. Grocery store there is functioning.

Yesterday things got a little wilder right by me, but all in all still under control.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1518 on: June 02, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »
Where is TVC?

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1267689409475948544

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Tasty

« Reply #1519 on: June 02, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
I woke up and found out we shot a cop in the back of the head here in Vegas, RIP protests  :doge

How is this gonna impact Bore-con?  :dunno :riot :corona_rodney :lucille

Propagandhim

« Reply #1520 on: June 02, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/NBCproducer/status/1267660478811123712

White dudes in Rolls Royce's looting stores.

Propagandhim

« Reply #1521 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
Riotous rolling up to the hollowed out Louis Vuitton store, scratching his chin...."No, this burgundy brown will not do."   

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1522 on: June 02, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
Sure. But a Polish person living in Europe coming in and going ":smug This is why Europe is better" (when they have the same issues just different) can promptly fuck off.

Nobody has the symptoms of their problems manifest as severely as america does, but what do you really think can fix your country if your first instinct is to keep falling back to american exceptionalism?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1523 on: June 02, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »
Nobody has the symptoms of their problems manifest as severely as america does

sounds like someone highlighting a truly exceptional country  :american
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1524 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »

Was that a Karen taking this video?  That large audible gasp  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1526 on: June 02, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
JD when you go to hell I hope demons eat your guts, tear into to your flesh and you feel every bite for 500 years. I want Satan to personally skull fuck you and have you gorge on his bloody cum that makes your mouth burn past boiling point.

You absolute fuck.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1527 on: June 02, 2020, 01:21:53 PM »
https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/live-fulton-announces-findings-atlanta-police-excessive-force-case/IwWL0tioOHNAtC29Ad2xGL/

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard on Tuesday announced that six officers face criminal charges after the arrest of two Atlanta college students during the city's curfew crackdown Saturday.

edit:  only fired 2, desk duty 3 and not actually charged :(

edit: nope actually charged - the link was old

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officers-charged-college-students-pulled-car-71022535
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:37:04 PM by Madrun Badrun »

shosta

« Reply #1528 on: June 02, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »
hearing his lips smack three ties and that subvocal "aaahhh..." :rofl
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1529 on: June 02, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
:dead

https://twitter.com/atRachelGilmore/status/1267840491586039812

Meh.  A pause to think shouldn't be a point of criticizing someone even if it looks awkward as hell.  You might argue that no one should need 20 seconds to think about denouncing what is going on in the US but that blatantly ignores that world leaders of allied counties do not do that and it would be a horrible thing if they did. 

Will say that was an excellently phrased question by the reporter. 

Propagandhim

« Reply #1530 on: June 02, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »
That video was the whitest thing i've ever se..

:dead

shosta

每天生气

shosta

每天生气

Propagandhim

« Reply #1534 on: June 02, 2020, 02:15:58 PM »
Meghan McCain crying about living in a warzone...

:lol :lol

shosta

« Reply #1535 on: June 02, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
too cursed. no like
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1536 on: June 02, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1537 on: June 02, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »
That's dumb as fuck. Who were the people out there justifying the actions of the Columbine kids or Adam Lanza?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1539 on: June 02, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
That's dumb as fuck. Who were the people out there justifying the actions of the Columbine kids or Adam Lanza?

It's not justifying it's about the implicit sympathizing people do with white terrorists and the fact that they accept crushing black rights easily in response to horrific events but refuse to make any kind of change when it comes to their rights.  It's not a comparison of events, its a comparison of responses. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:35:58 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1540 on: June 02, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #1541 on: June 02, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
jaydub is definitely a true believer working from a loose set of first principles. i dont think he’s just a thoughtless contrarian. more like a thoughtsome contrarian

I like that in these past 3 pages, Jaydub seems to not want to engage on police departments all over the country beating, pepper spraying, shooting rubber bullets and gas canisters at, as well as throwing flash bang grenades at 100% peaceful protesters and directly targeting members of the media, live on TV, repeatedly, daily for the past week and instead insists the police are just doing their jobs to take care of rioters.
i think one decent distinction between right and left is the different criteria they use to accord sympathy -which groups they think are hegemonic and which subaltern.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
for jaydub, the property-holder is somehow the most aggrieved party involved, maybe, and i suspect, because bourgeois respectability is seen as inviolate. it might be inviolate because it’s the only glue adhesing a bunch of purely self-interested individuals who wouldnt otherwise contract to enter a society together if they could avoid it. or it might be because it’s seen as the terminus a quem, our greatest collective achievement, for its own sake. or it might be both. the point is the state only exists for the explicit purpose of safeguarding civil society, and civil society is seen as one big marketplace where every action is some mutual exchange under contract. when you fuck with some property-holder’s deed of ownership (nevermind the legitimacy/fairness of that deed’s initial acquisition), you merit the only kind of violence this system has room for. and the permissiveness wrt the degree of violence, is, i think, explained by the disregard for that ‘glue’ of bourgeois respectability on the part of, e.g., the looter; the looter’s compromised the contract they’re implicitly engaged in, and so forfeit the right to be social, or have things owed them by other people, up to and including life.
[close]

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1542 on: June 02, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »

It's not justifying it's about the implicit sympathizing people do with white terrorists and the fact that they accept crushing black rights easily in response to horrific events but refuse to make any kind of change when it comes to their rights.

I just want you to show me what "implicit sympathizing" looks like to wrap my head around it.

I can't remember a mass shooter in my lifetime (and there have been 100+ of them) that had any kind of sympathy. Overtly or covertly implied. Unless you're confusing the investigation into their past life as implicit sympathy? But that's just natural curiosity to try to figure out why/how someone got so fucked up. To help determine if there are patterns that we can identify in others and prevent further mass shootings.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1543 on: June 02, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »
Can we not talk about mass shootings itt until we have to :fbm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1544 on: June 02, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »
Battle Space Force
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1545 on: June 02, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »

It's not justifying it's about the implicit sympathizing people do with white terrorists and the fact that they accept crushing black rights easily in response to horrific events but refuse to make any kind of change when it comes to their rights.

I just want you to show me what "implicit sympathizing" looks like to wrap my head around it.

I can't remember a mass shooter in my lifetime (and there have been 100+ of them) that had any kind of sympathy. Overtly or covertly implied. Unless you're confusing the investigation into their past life as implicit sympathy? But that's just natural curiosity to try to figure out why/how someone got so fucked up. To help determine if there are patterns that we can identify in others and prevent further mass shootings.

Ya you're right sympathizing was the wrong word.  Maybe implicitly identifying might be what I'll looking for.  The point I was trying to make, and what I thought the post was made, is that white terrorists still get treated as an ingroup in our reactions to them, which re-reading the tweet was a stretch, though I think the charitable reading. 

shosta

« Reply #1546 on: June 02, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
when you fuck with some property-holder’s deed of ownership (nevermind the legitimacy/fairness of that deed’s initial acquisition), you merit the only kind of violence this system has room for. and the permissiveness wrt the degree of violence, is, i think, explained by the disregard for that ‘glue’ of bourgeois respectability on the part of, e.g., the looter; the looter’s compromised the contract they’re implicitly engaged in, and so forfeit the right to be social, or have things owed them by other people, up to and including life.
I was watching a lot of Fox News last night and this perfectly describes what I was seeing. Just non-stop coverage of people taking expensive clothes out of SoHo shops, total fixation, utter disbelief. It was like watching a memorial service for a brick and mortar store. Frankly it was quiet alienating.
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #1548 on: June 02, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
terminus a quem
jesus christ this is so embarrassing. kara forgive me :existential

shosta

« Reply #1549 on: June 02, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/kikivonfreaki/status/1267763349393149952

I just love this picture so much. This is the guy that sheltered a bunch of protesters in his home.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1550 on: June 02, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1551 on: June 02, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
terminus a quem
jesus christ this is so embarrassing. kara forgive me :existential

A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1552 on: June 02, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1553 on: June 02, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1554 on: June 02, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
Hard to smile when all the water in your body is replaced with Botox.

Or you’re married to Donald Trump.
©@©™

Propagandhim

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1556 on: June 02, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

8:46 and more pressure boys. Prove that you can actually pass the challenge you ignorant embarrassments.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #1557 on: June 02, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Go to /r/publicfreakout if you’re trying to get upset

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1558 on: June 02, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »

Multiple people on my FB feed, including someone in the military, shared memes about how Lanza snapped because he'd been bullied by David Hogg.

Also idk if people were "justifying" the Columbine kids, but there was a very widespread and popular perception of them as bullied loners. Was probably a decade before I found out that wasn't true.

Propagandhim

« Reply #1559 on: June 02, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »