Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 245490 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #3000 on: June 20, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
You know the fancy Latin names they give to various logical fallacies? Ought to be one that means "argumentation by pretending to not grok obvious things."

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3001 on: June 20, 2020, 04:23:11 PM »
the whole argument is disingenuous as fuck come on man be embarrassed for yourself
pcp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3002 on: June 20, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »

'but if you put up a bunch of statues of him'

They are not talking about old depictions of him in stain glass, they are talking about a novel change in depiction, and as far as I know,, statues of just satan are not really something churchs have.  Also, again, you are ignoring what a statue of satan means in current social context.

No, I'm not defending confeserate statues, but that twitter argument is weak as fuck, because there are a bunch of depictions in satan in old churches and modern christians don't really give a fuck about trying to tear them down because its 'bad optics' to todays church values, because those depictions all have artistic, cultural or historical value.

It's a crazy flawed metaphor; I'm not defending the thing its a metaphor for by pointing out the obvious flaws in the metaphor chosen.

Again, you are missing the point.  All depictions of satan are not the same.  Just because you have one does not make the other ok.  If I go to church and start putting up statues of satan that do not fit with historical depictions, people are going to ask about my intent for putting up the statues.  I doubt I could defend this by saying 'its just a statue of satan like that stain glass window'.

No, I get the point that tweet is trying to make.
The point he's actually making is if you go into a Christian church, you could say "Man, they fucking hate that jesus dude, look at all these images of him being tortured to death there are, they must really be into that shit. He must be the worst dude ever".

Its a bad analogy :idont
did j chrizzle own slavs or genocide india? :doge

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3003 on: June 20, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »
You know the fancy Latin names they give to various logical fallacies? Ought to be one that means "argumentation by pretending to not grok obvious things."

Its not really disingeuous to say that if the premise of your analogy is to remove all context and just report what you see as being what contemporary beliefs are, that christian symbolism removed of all context as per the thought experiment looks like celebrating the death of jesus is it?

The fact we all know that it doesnt say that is because of context.

If you guys think ita great analogy, you do you, but I think its pretty fucking bad for the reasons that I have stated - and, to reiterate, for, what, the third time? I am not endorsing the subject it is an analogy for by saying it is a poor analogy,

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3004 on: June 20, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »
No analogy is perfect, but the one in the tweet is way better than your posts.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #3005 on: June 20, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
The point he's actually making is if you go into a Christian church, you could say "Man, they fucking hate that jesus dude, look at all these images of him being tortured to death there are, they must really be into that shit. He must be the worst dude ever".
i genuinely have no idea how you read that from the tweet. the only important factors here are the dispositions of the people who make the depiction and the stance people for whom the work was intended take to the depiction. both of those groups are christian. the detached, ignorant observer plays no role here. this is actually a great example of how the normative commitments of the people who produce and the normative commitments of the people who consume art are indispensable in understanding the civic role of art

I don't know why the argument against seeing statues seems to have become one of seeing them solely through an idolatory lens?
because, throughout history, monument building has been practiced for the express purpose of pushing some agenda. thats really all there is to it

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3006 on: June 20, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
No need to invoke good old Lucifer, the bible contains a metric fuckton of despicable shit :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3007 on: June 20, 2020, 04:39:10 PM »
Bork better close this thread before the dunks start

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3008 on: June 20, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »
;)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3009 on: June 20, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
because, throughout history, monument building has been practiced for the express purpose of pushing some agenda. thats really all there is to it

I fundamentally disagree that monuments have 'agendas' outside of marking a piece of history.
Artists might, commissioning bodies might, audiences might, and all of those agendas might even be at odds with each other, but ultimately a monuments purpose is as a bookmark for history.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3010 on: June 20, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
With the way Brazil is going, we might see some rioters with pickup trucks take down Christ the Redeemer in 2020.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3011 on: June 20, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
:bow liberal truckers :bow2
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3012 on: June 20, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »

I fundamentally disagree that monuments have 'agendas' outside of marking a piece of history.
Artists might, commissioning bodies might, audiences might, and all of those agendas might even be at odds with each other, but ultimately a monuments purpose is as a bookmark for history.

I think we can all agree that inanimate objects don't have agendas, but the people relevent to the objects might. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3013 on: June 20, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »

So all the actual humans who are involved in creating, funding, and placing a statue may have an agenda, but those don't really matter and there's an actual, real purpose to the statue which exists independently of those people.

Sounds legit.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #3014 on: June 20, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
ultimately a monuments purpose is as a bookmark for history.
why do we care about bookmarking history?

ill echo arvie here and say we’re all agreed that people are the ones with agendas

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3015 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
Seeing people try to defend Confederate monuments built in Texas in the 1950's is like  ::) yeah okay dude.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #3016 on: June 20, 2020, 05:23:21 PM »
bis, and i mean this as gently as possible, you wouldnt happen to hail from some part of the former DDR, would you?

Don’t read anything into obvious shitposts. :hmph

spoiler (click to show/hide)
No
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3017 on: June 20, 2020, 05:27:17 PM »
In his defense, he is not for confederate monuments, he is just upset with the analogy since if you strip all context from Christian iconism relevant to the anology, it is in fact illogical. 

By coincidence, stripping context from confederate iconism is a dog whistle for racists - but, as he has said, that's not what he is doing.

BisMarckie

« Reply #3018 on: June 20, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »
[

This is completely false. You can’t detach monuments from their intent. Why do you think monuments of Arminiu popped up all of a sudden after German unification in 1871?
It‘s completely myopic to detach monuments from their intent. There is an entire field of history dedicated to this very same thing.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3019 on: June 20, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
love to sculpt 12 foot tall stone effigies as a conversation starter
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3020 on: June 20, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3021 on: June 20, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
love to sculpt 12 foot tall stone effigies as a conversation starter

They're just bookmarks so people don't forget.

That's why Staples Center doesn't just have statues of Jerry West, Shaq, Magic, etc. but also Kwame Brown and Smush Parker.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3022 on: June 20, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
We need to put up more Hitler statues so we don't forget about WWII.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #3023 on: June 20, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »
They better have a statue auf Kwame Brown, they used that stiff for the lopsided Pau Gasol trade which netted fraud Kobe two more rings :rage

BisMarckie

« Reply #3024 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »

That’s why there are still so many statues of Kaiser Wilhelm II. around :ohhh

BisMarckie

« Reply #3025 on: June 20, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »
Can‘t wait for the Bore sponsored monument of Evilore.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3026 on: June 20, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
All statues are propoganda and we shouldn't build more. Just tear down the ones that piss people off over the years as they become
increasingly outdated.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3027 on: June 20, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »
What if monuments are bookmarks for time travelers.   Like without them, they would have to start at the beginning and flip through the years, stopping every once in a while to ask locals the time.   

Obviously, this is not a perfect analogy because some books have indices. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3028 on: June 20, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
If you want to find groups in support of taking down statues and other historic artifacts and monuments
you end up at Lenin, the Nazi's, Mao, ISIS, the Taliban, Right Sector and John Bolton.

I suppose the idea isn't so radical
 :idont
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3029 on: June 20, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »
If you want to find groups in support of taking down statues and other historic artifacts and monuments
you end up at Lenin, the Nazi's, Mao, ISIS, the Taliban, Right Sector and John Bolton.

oh shit that's deep

I wonder what sort of groups built statues

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3030 on: June 20, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »
John Bolton and the Taliban?
The Taliban demolished the largest Buddha statues that were still preserved.
Bolton wanted the statues of Saddam toppled.
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #3031 on: June 20, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »
John Bolton and the Taliban?

Before or after the US funded them? I feel that’s an important distinction to make before accusing John Bolton being out there smashing statues with his Taliban buddies.

BisMarckie

« Reply #3032 on: June 20, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #3033 on: June 20, 2020, 06:32:15 PM »

More like Micropeen of Rhodes

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3034 on: June 20, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
Let's have a genocide it is every bit a human tradition as medicine is
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #3035 on: June 20, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »
Can’t believe that some people ( beyond the scope of this forum) don’t understand that statues have no inherent historical value. It‘s just kitsch built to rally people around an idea of a shared identity. There are some exceptions of course, but for most of them it’s like a McDonald‘s restaurant being demolished.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3036 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »
I'm sure I can collect a mob big enough of people in support who would just mindlessly join mass murdering one group or another in the name of progress.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3037 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:39 PM »
nintex raises a good point

if the protesters were committing mass murder instead of knocking down some statues that would be bad, ergo knocking down some statues is bad

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3038 on: June 20, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »
I'm sure I can collect a mob big enough of people in support who would just mindlessly join mass murdering one group or another in the name of progress.

motherfucker you don't have three friends you're not starting a cult

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3039 on: June 20, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »
Man Nintex is still on this statue thing?
vin

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3040 on: June 20, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
Man Nintex is still on this statue thing?
is there a statue of limitations?

BisMarckie

« Reply #3041 on: June 20, 2020, 06:46:27 PM »
As a good social democrat, I would prefer if there was a town hall meeting or some other plebiscite to decide over the fate of statues just as any form of public property, but I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3042 on: June 20, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
Bis are you German or French?  I keep wanting to throw jabs based on your nationality but I don't want to look foolish. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #3043 on: June 20, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
Bis are you German or French?  I keep wanting to throw jabs based on your nationality but I don't want to look foolish.

Man, VomKriege really confused some people by using a German name as a French dude

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3044 on: June 20, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
I liked that you saw immediately that I was confusing you and Vom. 

Oblivion

« Reply #3045 on: June 20, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
my favorite excuse that the chuds and chud-adjacent use for this confederate monument business is the whole "THE LEFT IS TRYING TO ERASE HISTORY" bit.

because if there's one thing leftists absolutely DON'T want to do, it's pointing out America's history of racism and oppression.  :doge

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3046 on: June 20, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »
confederate statues?
the ugly busts of failed civil war doers that started a shin-dingle over slaves?

atleast pick something aesthetic
like some motherfucker tryna take down this beauty outta have their lights turned off

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3048 on: June 20, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »
Zwarte Piet isn't institutionalised racism, nor is it "Christmas". It's actually a time honoured tradition that is tens of years old.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3050 on: June 21, 2020, 01:09:00 AM »
You could make one with him opening his mouth, that doubles as a urinal.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3051 on: June 21, 2020, 04:03:14 AM »
I didn't see any of this argument on that popular mechanics page about how to take down statues safely using physics.

benjipwns

« Reply #3052 on: June 21, 2020, 04:07:09 AM »
Some towns for Civil War monuments have old cannons instead of dudes. They should just have a cannon for the Georgia 45th or Virginia 9th or whatever rather than some fancy pants General who probably never even heard of the town let alone fought for it, plus then I'd be like you're wrecking a perfectly good cannon for when the state tries to come back after disestablishing itself peacefully!

:jeb third way solutions :klob

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3053 on: June 21, 2020, 04:16:12 AM »
if you outlaw statues, only outlaws will have statues

benjipwns

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3055 on: June 21, 2020, 05:53:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/HomelessnessSD/status/1274451699034320896

8)

The one person who showed up with rollerblades (around 0:11) probably got beat up at the end.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #3056 on: June 21, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »

8)

The one person who showed up with rollerblades (around 0:11) probably got beat up at the end.

deservedly beat up.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3057 on: June 21, 2020, 08:23:19 AM »
premium lager rekt :tocry
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3058 on: June 21, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »

8)

I bet they didn't even take off the brakes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:26:25 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴