Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5463356 times)

agrajag

So by The Onion's estimations should be 5-10 years now?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
What's going to be interested about this place now? Just a bunch of soft ass pussies wishing they could still be posting on the REE.

Among other things, I literally kick in doors to meth labs for a living.

Tell me what you do that warrants you calling me soft.
So you take tax payer dollars to continue to fight a losing war?

Ya, you soft.  :patel

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
So by The Onion's estimations should be 5-10 years now?

insh'Allah
bent

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
But emotionally he's a teddy bear. 

seagrams hotsauce

you guys don't have to show off your badass bonafides to a guy who is deathly terrified of people asking how old he is y'know. just sayin

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
What's going to be interested about this place now? Just a bunch of soft ass pussies wishing they could still be posting on the REE.

Among other things, I literally kick in doors to meth labs for a living.

Tell me what you do that warrants you calling me soft.
So you take tax payer dollars to continue to fight a losing war?

Ya, you soft.  :patel

:lol

A metric by which every US serviceman deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan since November 2001 is soft in your eyes, ya? 

:derp
MMA

Nola

He's a hard man Boogie.

There isn't a latin country he doesn't have the balls to travel to for work and drink alone in his hotel and cry on the internet about how shitty the local culture is.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
He also has a BJJ brown belt, soon to be black belt, and could likely break both of your elbows in under a minute. You don’t get that by being soft.
But does he let his girl put her finger in his butt like a real man  :win

Boredfrom

This is kind of pathetic, Assimilate.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS.

ASSIMILATE, ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO CALL OUT SHIRTLESS BLACK DUDES FOR THEIR LARGE PUFFY NIPPLES, AND USE THE "R" WORD TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT?
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
The generic videogame president of the late 80s/early 90s.  :P

Not the real world one of 2018.  :yuck

spoiler (click to show/hide)
to any Professional Standards investigators checking up on me, I will of course do my due diligence and utmost to safeguard all Internationally Protected Persons for any official visits to the Dominion of Canada, including, but not limited to, the 2018 G7 Summit in the Charlevoix region of the Province of Quebec, regardless of my personal views or opinions of any particular head of state attending....
[close]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:14:30 AM by Boogie »
MMA

team filler

• filler
  • filler
dat spoiler  :derp

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Hey, could be worse, we could still have Mr. Super-Woke, The Business around, throwing his soft-ass tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan at Mr. Badass here...

I really enjoy his Twitter and am glad he found a niche reporting on forever war from a dovish position. (As much as one can be glad about the existence of U.S.-led forever war.)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 :oreilly

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
The Business was always the best of us.

If by which you mean "the Business had the best abs of us", then yes, you are correct.  :usacry
MMA

Nola

In completely out of left field news, I'll preface this by saying I'm not a recession-hawk and this is more of a "hmm, that's interesting, I'll keep an eye and am a little curious if it does happen if the correlation holds."

Basically the TLDR is that since 1970, basically every time we have gotten an inverted yield curve between the 10 and 2 year bonds - meaning the 10 year bond has a lower interest rate than the two year bond - it has been a pretty reliable leading indicator of a imminent recession(no one quite knows why though). As of now we are getting really close:

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
I know you're much more qualified to discuss this but I read chicken bone omens about a coming recession every few months based on some arbitrary measure and it never happens. It's not and never will be predictable. If someone could explain the causality I'd believe it but otherwise it's just junk speculation. It reminds me of the "rules" about elections, like Ohio.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
Cliff's Notes version:

Central banks typically try to raise the interest rate during a boom and lower it during a bust. A prediction about future interest rates is also largely about predicting the state of the economy.

The yield on bonds reflects what buyers think the interest rate will be over the lifetime of a bond. An "inverted yield curve" just means that yields are higher for short-term bonds, which means investors believe future interest rates will be lower than they are now, which implies an economic downturn.

So it's a sort of wisdom-of-crowds thing, but even without efficient markets it can work as a self-fulfilling prophecy and has a decent track record empirically. It's one of the more well-known signs in macro forecasting.

shosta

Ok I buhleeb it now, thanks mandank
每天生气

shosta

Wait, why would short term yields be higher than long term yields without there being a bear market? It's not like the investors in the stock market are dumber than the investors in bonds.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
Neither one's an exact reflection of how investors feel about economic prospects, they're just rough proxies that reflect other things (anticipated central bank behavior, profit margins, blah blah). I think very generally they agree? But not always. 2006-7 was a bull market with a flat/inverted yield curve.

It's macro forecasting. Nobody knows anything.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
corporate media BUSTED

shosta

Lol at Tucker making sure to fit in a swipe at Mark Warner in his never-ending vendetta against him. He's like his favorite punching bag. Get over your obsession!
每天生气

agrajag

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Trump: I want an investigation on whether Obama ordered the FBI to place my campaign under surveillance.

Also Trump: the President has absolute right to do what he wants with the DOJ

:thinking

Kara

It's not like the investors in the stock market are dumber than the investors in bonds.

To give a Robert Kiyosaki anecdote phrased in the form of a Jeff Foxworthy routine, in a wealthy family the person who actually made the wealth owns bonds; their failsons buy Apple stock in the spring of 2015 and sell it the following January.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Tovarisch Kara-san, look at this proper investment: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=31622.msg2431540#msg2431540 :uguu

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Trump's economy will not enter a recession but a golden age. Just ask the experts like Kanye and Scott Adams.  :doge

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/998974192862277632

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/998977259426983937

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/998977689754263552

:doge :doge :doge :doge :doge
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:36:09 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Boredfrom

I feel that Moon is also naive if he is seriously thinking that this will end well with Trump in there. Better people than Trump had tried.

I understand that he is ball washing Trump, but he probably should know by now that "You never go full Trumpkin".

Mandark

• Icon
Trump had been acting so belligerent that the substance of a deal probably matters less to Moon than getting Trump publicly committed to any kind of peace effort.

Remember the prospective ambassador to South Korea dropped out because he's against a preemptive strike, which apparently was a fairly popular idea in the administration before they brought in John Bolton.

Boredfrom

Trump had been acting so belligerent that the substance of a deal probably matters less to Moon than getting Trump publicly committed to any kind of peace effort.

Remember the prospective ambassador to South Korea dropped out because he's against a preemptive strike, which apparently was a fairly popular idea in the administration before they brought in John Bolton.

The problem is “commitment”. Trump will flip flop at drop of a hat. And Moon did campaign for better relations with NK.

Mandark

• Icon
Yeah. I've been nervous since this whole thing started on how Trump would react when he realizes he's not getting what he wants (and Bolton deliberately raising the stakes reinforces that). Moon has to be looking for ways to mollify Trump and string him along and hope that it's just for one term.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The best outcome is that Trump and Kim will actually meet in Singapore. So Kim discovers that Trump doesn't give a rats ass about any of the human rights abuses and just wants to profit personally from the peace deal.  :doge
🤴

Boredfrom

The best outcome is that Trump and Kim will actually meet in Singapore. So Kim discovers that Trump doesn't give a rats ass about any of the human rights abuses and just wants to profit personally from the peace deal.  :doge

Given some leaks about the negotations, Im pretty sure Kim knows that Trump could care less. But Trump not caring doesnt guarantee anything.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
In completely out of left field news, I'll preface this by saying I'm not a recession-hawk and this is more of a "hmm, that's interesting, I'll keep an eye and am a little curious if it does happen if the correlation holds."

Basically the TLDR is that since 1970, basically every time we have gotten an inverted yield curve between the 10 and 2 year bonds - meaning the 10 year bond has a lower interest rate than the two year bond - it has been a pretty reliable leading indicator of a imminent recession(no one quite knows why though). As of now we are getting really close:

(Image removed from quote.)

A recession shortly after massive tax breaks to the top will look really, reaaaaally bad.
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://twitter.com/DMAnews1/status/998950451541245952

Does this fucker really have a time machine or what.  :doge
🤴

Boredfrom

No, is just you, Nintex

Kara

Tovarisch Kara-san, look at this proper investment: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=31622.msg2431540#msg2431540 :uguu

Match 3 is revisionist Tetris, tongzhi.

EVOL

I feel that Moon is also naive if he is seriously thinking that this will end well with Trump in there. Better people than Trump had tried.

I understand that he is ball washing Trump, but he probably should know by now that "You never go full Trumpkin".

It's literally our only hope. Moon can be the most amazing diplomat of all time, and it still wouldn't matter if other parties involved decide that they don't want to play ball.

North Korea decided to fuck with SK by refusing to receive SK journalists for the closing of their nuclear test site, and decided to relent for reasons god knows why. The more positive way to look at it would be that Moon succeeded in unreported diplomacy, hoping that that's the case

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Trump may strangely be a great hope for peace in our time due to motivating other countries to hash their shit out with each other cause they know he's basically up for nuking anything and everything. :trumps
spoiler (click to show/hide)
4 D  C H E S S
[close]
Hi

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Regardless I just don't see why Kim Jong would agree to give up his nuclear weapons or tolerate US/SK joint military drills. Especially in light of what's happening with Iran right now. Why risk another US admin coming in and saying "human rights matter again now." Now you don't have nukes and your economy is being propped up by US money so you're fucked.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/999282325316866048

Now is this a real DJT tweet, or one of the fake DJT tweets written by his staff in the DJT-style to troll the liberal fake media elites? :thinking
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Now is this a real DJT tweet, or one of the fake DJT tweets written by his staff in the DJT-style to troll the liberal fake media elites? :thinking

He's just bringing back the classics.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/968468176639004672

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Nola

With 17 indictments and 5 guilty pleas, they certainly seem be finding quite a few witches.

Boredfrom

With 17 indictments and 5 guilty pleas, they certainly seem be finding quite a few witches.

There is a problem

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/389039-poll-majority-of-americans-dont-know-that-mueller-probe-has

Nola

Yeah I saw that, not all that surprising but depressing nonetheless.

Boredfrom

Maybe you guys should get better in messaging?

Boredfrom

I mean, Jesus, no wonder why they are pushing the "is the FBI planting evidence" conspiracy if half of the people in the US doesnt even have idea that there is already indictments.

agrajag

Maybe you guys should get better in messaging?

What you mean, "you guys"

:trigger :trigger :trigger

Mandark

• Icon
Dem candidates in special elections have been running on health care and other quality-of-life issues rather than the Russia scandal, and the national party's been pushing in the same direction. I'm glad they're doing that, but it's really hard to get the media to cover that stuff, and it's left a bit of an opening for right-wing media to mobilize really aggressively around this nexus of fanciful counter-scandals.

agrajag

Dem candidates in special elections have been running on health care and other quality-of-life issues rather than the Russia scandal, and the national party's been pushing in the same direction. I'm glad they're doing that, but it's really hard to get the media to cover that stuff, and it's left a bit of an opening for right-wing media to mobilize really aggressively around this nexus of fanciful counter-scandals.

Optimus was right all along  :doge

Boredfrom

That is big opening, specially since is clear that Republicans have no shame in pretending stuff is not happening. No wonder why the Republicans think is a good idea to undermine the FBI. It seems that the Dems take stuff like, the people know that Trump is corrupt as fuck, for granted.

This opening is the kind of shit that could cost you more than a election. It could fuck up your country way past Trump.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The Democrats and media turned the Russia investigation into a shit show with overly excited reporting. Making every newsflash look like his presidency was over and again they forgot that Trump acclimatizes to shit shows better than anyone.
It's how he beat the GOP, Hillary Clinton and now the rest of the Democratic party.

They're like: "Ok we're tired of the Russia thing for now, we need to discuss issues to win elections!"
But Donald will never allow them to return to 'normalcy'. Just like fake news he is using the Russian scandal as a weapon against them instead of the other way around.

Crazy to think it's been 3 years since he came down that escalator to rant about 'issues' and those issues are still dominating the news and politics today.
He has imprisoned the media and even most of the late night comics into Trump Land. Plus he has only gained more support since he's been elected.

Also what the fuck is wrong with the Democrats that they keep a demented dinosaur like Pelosi around as the party leader.  :neogaf
🤴

Boredfrom

Your inner Trumpkin is showing again. (“Has more followers now”  :lol dude...)

Feels less that Trump is media savvy and more like “the media and the political class are not savvy about a blatantly corruptand incompetent  politician“

That shit about “Trump Is playing them like a fiddle” just helps Trump and his cronies.

shosta

Pelosi's a great politician and a pretty consistently liberal Democrat. She gets a lot of hate from conservatives because she's "the face" of Congressional Democrats and she's good at what she does. Only a complete bozo would complain about her from the left.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
"Trump is actually a brilliant manipulator" would make more sense if he'd been able to accomplish any of his goals since he got to be president, instead of just signing whatever McConnell and Ryan put on his desk.