Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083435 times)

Beezy

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6600 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
Easily.

Robo

« Reply #6601 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Just started Weeds, enjoying it a lot. Nancy kinda looks like Jennifer White  :o

:ohhh
obo

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #6602 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Anyone watching this UK show Utopia?  It's pretty whacked.

Utopia will follow a group of people who find themselves in possession of a manuscript of a cult graphic novel. The tome is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century and the group soon find themselves targeted by a shadowy organisation known only as The Network.

first episode had some genuinely distressing scenes.

good review / round up of the first episode

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/15/utopia-episode-by-episode

and yeah, the torture scene is fairly fucked up

I saw episodes 1-3 today, it's very good looking show and I really enjoyed it but yes it's very violent. So many people start dying in the show, it's kinda ridiculous.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Episode 3 was the worst/fucked up so far because it had a school shooting.
[close]

It's nice to see Curtis from Misfits in a new show.

Boo

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6603 on: January 30, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
Just started Weeds, enjoying it a lot. Nancy kinda looks like Jennifer White  :o

She is now ruined in my eyes
püp

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6604 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »

I saw episodes 1-3 today, it's very good looking show and I really enjoyed it but yes it's very violent. So many people start dying in the show, it's kinda ridiculous.

Episode 3 was the worst/fucked up so far because it had a school shooting.
[close]

It's nice to see Curtis from Misfits in a new show.
'

not just dying, but dying horrible horrible deaths

Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6605 on: January 30, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »
Tried a couple episodes of Justified based on a friends recommendation, it sucked pretty bad and feels like it's trying to riff on True Bloods success (despite that also being pretty bad).

lolwut

I will say that after an explosive start, season 4 is kind of lulling to the point where I'm getting a little concerned. 
🍆🍆

etiolate

« Reply #6606 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
The boxer storyline has slowed the pace down in Justified, but the end of the recent episode sets up some interesting things for the future.

I'm looking forward to The Americans tonight. I'm a sucker for spy stuff and Keri Russell was pretty badass in MI:3.

Robo

« Reply #6607 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »

What, you don't like picturing Mary-Louise Parker as a crack ho with a gaping butthole?
obo

etiolate

« Reply #6608 on: January 31, 2013, 07:21:05 AM »
Watch The American pilot bumshiners. I recommended Always Sunny to you guys. I recommended Terriers. I recommended Justified. I recommend watching this pilot. Kerri Russel going to become your new older white woman jungle fever visions.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6609 on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
can't wait to see The Americans

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6610 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Finished off AHSA. Yeah, the last two eps felt like an awful lot of stuff could have just been folded into earlier episodes. Maybe they were afraid of confusing the demographic that watches the show.

And as awesome as it was, the first was much MUCH better, partly due to the mad decent freshness I guess.

Also it's coming back again this year, I don't know about that.

What I really liked about the last ep of Banshee, was the way the arresting of the MMA guy went utterly OTT. The finger splitting move is actually used irl by various special forces, and Shin Bet/Hummous countries.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:08:00 PM by Martin Raperman »
:{]

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6611 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
Watch The American pilot bumshiners. I recommended Always Sunny to you guys. I recommended Terriers. I recommended Justified. I recommend watching this pilot. Kerri Russel going to become your new older white woman jungle fever visions.

Gonna have to agree with etoilet since I recommended all that shit too. And watched The Americans.
AMC

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #6612 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
Tried a couple episodes of Justified based on a friends recommendation, it sucked pretty bad and feels like it's trying to riff on True Bloods success (despite that also being pretty bad).

:wtf

Which part? Title sequence is a complete rip off of True Bloods, pretty clear they're going for a similar aesthetic/audience, with some similar/same actors (Pam Beaufort/Kristen whatshername), just felt kinda lame.

What, you don't like picturing Mary-Louise Parker as a crack ho with a gaping butthole?

:lol

◕‿◕

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6613 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:33 AM »
House of Cards has all 13 eps up on Netflix tomorrow. Watch it. tl;dr: Watch it.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6614 on: February 01, 2013, 03:14:31 AM »
House of Cards has all 13 eps up on Netflix tomorrow. Watch it. tl;dr: Watch it.

It's up now, apparently
AMC

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #6615 on: February 01, 2013, 03:26:52 AM »
The Office has been bad for a while, but last episode was kinda heavy. :(
Unzip

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6616 on: February 01, 2013, 03:36:19 AM »

It's been okay for this last season!  Like if this were season 6 instead of 8 or 9 or whatever than it would have gone out as a consistently great show.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6617 on: February 01, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »
So Fincher basically shit on the rest of television with that House of Cards pilot, good fucking god. Dude knows how to make moving pictures look good.
AMC

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6618 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
I like Carell but wouldn't have ever said that Michael Scott was the only reason to watch the show - so I'm pretty surprised at the gaping hole him leaving left.

I do like the two new guys
___

Barry Egan

« Reply #6619 on: February 02, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »
House of Cards:  I wasnt sure if Kevin Spacey was a good choice for a charismatic Southern politician, but his performance is really pretty good.  The formula of the show is definitely familiar at this point, but Spaceys character is complex and interesting enough to help the show distinguish itself.  If I were to make a crude comparison with shows cut from the same clothe, it's at least as nuanced as Damages and far better than Boss.  Also the show looks great, even after Fincher passes on the reigns. 

The added bonus of watching is knowing where recursivelyenumerables avatar quote comes from.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6620 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
House of Cards:  I wasnt sure if Kevin Spacey was a good choice for a charismatic Southern politician, but his performance is really pretty good.  The formula of the show is definitely familiar at this point, but Spaceys character is complex and interesting enough to help the show distinguish itself.  If I were to make a crude comparison with shows cut from the same clothe, it's at least as nuanced as Damages and far better than Boss.  Also the show looks great, even after Fincher passes on the reigns. 

This is pretty accurate.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6621 on: February 02, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »
Watched like five minutes of House of Cards; I had planned on watching the whole thing but was too tired. That first scene was pretty...blatant, like a writer saying "let me tell you exactly what I'm doing here." I'm sure I'll like the show, I heard it's the anti West Wing. But uhh, is that first scene just there to hook you or is that how things go in the rest of the series? Also does Spacey's character continue to talk to the audience?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6622 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:41 AM »
Watched like five minutes of House of Cards; I had planned on watching the whole thing but was too tired. That first scene was pretty...blatant, like a writer saying "let me tell you exactly what I'm doing here." I'm sure I'll like the show, I heard it's the anti West Wing. But uhh, is that first scene just there to hook you or is that how things go in the rest of the series? Also does Spacey's character continue to talk to the audience?

Yeah, he does. The pilot has the most of it by far, though. The UK version had this too, BTW.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6623 on: February 02, 2013, 04:27:41 AM »
It's getting good reviews, and GAF likes it. But Cajole shat on it so it must suck  :'(

Regardless of whether it's amazing or average, 100mil is a lot for a political drama. Netflix obviously has lots of user data, perhaps political drama is very popular among subscribers I guess. But then again they're reviving The Killing so maybe they're just throwing money around willy nilly

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6624 on: February 02, 2013, 04:29:41 AM »
Nah, I still like it. It's ok.
AMC

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6625 on: February 02, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »
Watched the first three episodes of House of Cards, reminds of Profit.

Barry Egan

« Reply #6626 on: February 02, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Talking directly to the audience was the most jarring aspect of the show for me as well.  I still don't love it but Spacey does such a good job that I don't really consider it a negative at this point.  In some ways it's preferable to devotng half the show to a young ambitious upstart character so that Spacey has someone to explain all his nefarious doings to.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6627 on: February 02, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
Watched the first three episodes of House of Cards, reminds of Profit.

you should watch the uk version if you haven't
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #6628 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
watching House of Cards

gonna hold back on my opinion for now.

but holy hell, the product placement for sony products

PLAYSTATION AND KILLZONE

IS THAT A PSVITA??? I SHOULD GET ME ONE OF THOSE!
nat

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:08:24 PM by Martin Raperman »

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6630 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
Actually the thread about guys with big jugs is kinda prescient.

etiolate

« Reply #6631 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »
Not liking House of Cards as much as I'd hope. It looks nice, but it's lacking something. That something may be a character worth caring about enough to make the stakes matter. It throws a lot of characters on screen and if takes like half a season to fill out those characters then I might lose interest.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6632 on: February 03, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »
Just finished the pilot of House Of Cards and I must say I'm rather indifferent. Everything looks nice but overall nothing really hooked me. The characters seem rather bland so far, there's no one interesting (oh look, another young struggling journalist!) outside of Spacey. And even Spacey is rather boring without anyone to truly go back and forth with, acting wise. He kind of just floats through the episode. Not liking Robin Wright's character at all either; her big "argument" scene with Spacey was horrible, largely due to bad dialogue though.

I'll stick with it. The reviews are very good, and hopefully the cast gets some life soon.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6633 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »
I agree with Martin that Banshee is a great show. A ton of sex and violence presented to you with smart writing and likable villains. Banshee is to Spartacus what Homeland is to 24. Just a little less shameless.

I just watched the first 4 episodes today but like Spartacus, a lot happens in each episode.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #6634 on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »
Watched the ZeroHour pilot. I was bored and couldn't sleep so yeah... Its like watching a tbn syfy production of National Treasure.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/452227
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:48:39 AM by G The Resurrected »

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6635 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
Banshee is amazing, it's like a real life Vertigo book :bow2
Drunk

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #6636 on: February 03, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Re: House of Cards

- Kevin Spacey is damned good
- The plot is twisty and complex but manages to also be easy to follow for the most part. Some of the political nuance goes over my head though.
- I would do things for Kate Mara
- Also Robin Wright
- I didn't fully understand what Underwood's intentions were until they were spelled out for me. I'm not sure if that was on purpose. They allude to this grand plan but you get no real idea of it until the final episodes
- The first two episodes stunk of David Fincher. That is not a bad thing btw.
- I really enjoyed the plot following Peter Russo. He's a fairly effective sympathetic character with a good arc.

Good show.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6637 on: February 05, 2013, 02:25:57 AM »
Watched my first episode of Top Gear, the one with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. I don't have much interest in cars, but the hosts' humor and camaraderie are fun, which makes their love of cars somewhat infectious.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6638 on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
The US version is more car challenges/competitions and less reviews and lap times. Plus the US hosts are less scripted and more funny/interesting I think. I love them both though.

cool breeze

« Reply #6639 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:27 AM »
Watched my first episode of Top Gear, the one with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. I don't have much interest in cars, but the hosts' humor and camaraderie are fun, which makes their love of cars somewhat infectious.

Check out the Vietnam special if you can find it.  Probably the best episode and it doesn't have to do with cars at all!

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #6640 on: February 05, 2013, 04:40:44 AM »
saw the three first episodes of house of cards. pretty entertaining stuff. is there ever a proper antagonist in the show, or is it just Kevin Spacey against The System throughout?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6641 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
To be fair does any major show have an antagonist now of days? Anti heroes and grey characters dominate tv

Himu

« Reply #6642 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
What the fuck channel is house of cards on
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6643 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
netflix
sup

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #6644 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
To be fair does any major show have an antagonist now of days? Anti heroes and grey characters dominate tv

so that's a no, then?

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #6645 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:27 AM »

so that's a no, then?

there is no real antagonist.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6646 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »

Check out the Vietnam special if you can find it.  Probably the best episode and it doesn't have to do with cars at all!
Will do!

I also want to see the USA episode of the UK series, where they visit the American South, and nearly get lynched and/or shot.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/12/top-gear-crew-visits-u-s-a-will-never-return-again/
The South has risen again, and unfortunately for our beloved team from Top Gear, it has focused its ire on Jeremy Clarkson, Jay Mays and Richard Hammond. In the latest episode of Top Gear (torrent here), the team arrives in Florida for a road trip that will see them travel from Miami to New Orleans. The catch? Each are given $1,000 to buy a whip that will carry them to their destination. Whips in hand, the trio decide to spice up the trip by spray painting inflammatory statements on the sheetmetal. Statements like "I'm bi", "NASCAR Sucks" and "Hillary for President" are worn like badges of pride, until a stop for gas in a self-described "hick town" turns ugly. Words were said, rocks were thrown, and somebody's "boys" were called in. The Top Gear crew fleed for its life, though not after the quickest jump in history gets Mays Caddy turned over, and the chase ensued on the highways of the rural South. The boys wise up and decide to pull over and scrub off the incendiary taunts with some towels and Coke. Their troubles don't end there, as the offended Southies call upon their god to rain down a torrent of H20 on the caravan of Brits. Clarkson, Mays and Hammond eventually escape the U.S. with hides in tact, but we can all thank those country bumpkins for ensuring Top Gear will never again set foot on U.S. soil. Check out the clip in full after the jump for proof.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6647 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:42 AM »
Why does everything they say on justified sound so sexy?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6648 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »

Some examples: Justified: Mags and Quarles. Boardwalk Empire: Rosetti. Breaking Bad: Tuco, the Twins, Gus. Protagonist and antagonist don't necessarily mean "good guy" and "bad guy."
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6649 on: February 06, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »
Not sure I'd call Gus an antagonist. Also Tuco and the twins were only there for specific arcs, although I guess they could be called antagonists.

Haven't seen Justified, waiting for it to be cancelled

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6650 on: February 06, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
I mean I guess it depends on how you define the word "antagonist." I just go with the dude who clashes with the protagonist, who is unquestionably Walt if you use the definition of main character for protagonist.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6651 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
Both the middle and the neighbors on ABC are pretty damn entertaining.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6652 on: February 06, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
Both the middle and the neighbors on ABC are pretty damn entertaining.
I find the middle embarrassing but as far as mid-tier ABC comedies go, Suburgatory is better.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6653 on: February 06, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
I can't sit through suburgatory. It just bores me. Sue and the parents make me laugh on the middle.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6654 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
suburgatory has gotten really weird this season
Tonya

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6655 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

meh. It was phony heavy like the show has been forever. I recently caught up with it and its okay for what it is but I think the American show has always tried to get away with sentimentality it hasn't earned.

That being said, I glanced at the gaf thread and boy do those people over-analyze the show. They are super critical of the last season as if it hasn't been this way for a long time.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6656 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
What happened?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6657 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »
What happened?
Jim was mean to Pam for like a second and now they are doing a storyline where they act like Pam is going to cheat on Jim even though she clearly won't.
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6658 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:55 AM »
I finished House of Cards and it's good but not great. I give it between a 7 and 7.5/10. Peter Russo and Claire Underwood save the show, because I don't really enjoy anyone else character-wise.

Damn if it isn't one of the best-looking shows out there; right up there with How to Make it in America and Mad Men.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6659 on: February 07, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »

meh. It was phony heavy like the show has been forever. I recently caught up with it and its okay for what it is but I think the American show has always tried to get away with sentimentality it hasn't earned.

I thought S2 handled the Jim-Pam relationship perfectly.

Also, ZephyrFate is right about House of Cards.
AMC