Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083356 times)

BobFromPikeCreek

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14160 on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
Always Sunny is being taken off Netflix in December. Its my #1 goto background show when doing shit. This is bullshit.

I felt the exact same way when they took it off Canadian Netflix >:(
zzzzz

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14161 on: November 18, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Punisher has too many episodes that are just people talking for 50 minutes. I don’t hate it, but it needs more punishing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
RIP Alt-Right Man. May flights of Steve Brannons sing thee to thy rest.
[close]
©@©™

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14162 on: November 18, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
I really hope Walton Goggins does more comedy at some point. Dude's hilarious.
zzzzz

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14163 on: November 18, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
I'm at ep 11 and I feel like Punisher has pacing issues and the same old villain formula. (so far)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14164 on: November 18, 2017, 02:27:03 PM »
Punisher is terrible. Jessica Jones remains the only decent Marvel TV show. Stop watching this garbage, people.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14165 on: November 18, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Jessica Jones remains the only decent Marvel TV show.

Nah. DD s1 > JJ.

They're the two best, though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14166 on: November 18, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
Punisher is terrible. Jessica Jones remains the only decent Marvel TV show. Stop watching this garbage, people.

How will I know what’s going on in Avengers 3 if I don’t watch this chapter of the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE™? :gddr5
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14167 on: November 18, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
I felt like the infinity stone subplot of the Punisher was really tacked on.  Still excited for Avengers 3 and 4 though. 

etiolate

« Reply #14168 on: November 18, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
Six episodes in with the Punisher. It's good.

Agree that the Madani stuff doesn't really add much. She's just a plot tool as the investigating agent who may be an ally. Seen it before in other hero shows and stuff like Person of Interest.

I don't mind that they talk a lot. I actually like the group meeting scenes. The DHS scenes feel out of tone though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14169 on: November 18, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
Worst Punisher subplot is Bomber Boy, he’s even more boring than Madani. Right when it seemed like things were finally heating up, he shows up to slooooooow everything back down. :zzz
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #14170 on: November 18, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »
Something about there being a Stretch Armstrong show feels like a new low for dragging up old licenses.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14171 on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
Fuck it, drunk watching Hannibal. Made it to half of season 2 years ago
:9

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14172 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »
The Punisher was just way too long. They should have trimmed it down to 6-8 episodes (or even just a movie), kept it leaner and meaner. The last two episodes were great, but there was so much in the middle that wasn't.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #14173 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
[Every Netflix Marvel show] was just way too long. They should have trimmed it down to 6-8 episodes

Yes.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14174 on: November 18, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »
Punisher:  Overall very solid.  Suffers from being too long and having a predictable story.  Had this come out a decade ago it would have been a 10/10 though. 
billy was one of the best ex-special forces badies.  Its just such a tired trope though.   
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14175 on: November 18, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »
I didnt enjoy Punisher on the whole, poor pacing and villain issues. I hope they shake up the formula next time, JJ was so good because Purple Man was so good and JJ was so flawed and her plight was on a base level relatable.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14176 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
ya thats really the main thing with super hero shows - they only become truly great when there is a good villian. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14177 on: November 18, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
Daredevil s1 has pretty much R-rated violence in every episode. I mean, I read Frank Miller's original DD run when it was coming out, and it felt gritty, but this show is just fine showing some Eli Roth level meanness.

I've rewatched s1 like three times and I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Part of it's the audio, to be fair. Even with the blood spraying and waterfalling here and there, it's the "we just staved in a melon with a hammer" sound effect that sells the violence.

Tasty

« Reply #14178 on: November 19, 2017, 01:40:14 AM »
LC was too one note and predictable in its first half. Then the second half went completely to shit, as opposed to just taking a step down like DD and JJ.

Also with DD and JJ I was constantly guessing where they would go next, and there were some pretty good twists. As soon as the first episode of LC ends you know exactly what's gonna happen. "Just leave me alone" protag gets called back into action by the death of a loved one(s). Yawn. Mahershala Ali is the only one who made that show watchable at all.

I'm actually not a Tenant super-fan. He's good but the rest of the cast is pretty great too (aside from Trish.) Carrie-Anne Moss, Kristen Ritter, and even mah boi Eka Darville (Spartacus shout-out) were great/solid.

I also really dug the noir atmosphere JJ had for the first couple eps, really sold you on the world and drew me in.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14179 on: November 19, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
I like Trish! I saw her in something else after words were she was good, too. Watching too much TV though because I can’t remember which it was…

etiolate

« Reply #14180 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
Jessica Jones did not do it for me. Not sure I got past the second episode. Felt like it was 10% hero show, 10% detective show, 10% ptsd show, and 70% why am I watching this?

I'm on the last half of the last episode of Punisher and boy is this the most dragged out finale for Marvel shows. Three episodes for a finale?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14181 on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
Happy Marsala Ali is going to be in True Detective, I want to see more of him.
Marsala is a very topical thing where I live so I'm using it
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14182 on: November 19, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »
Search Party is back and still awesome.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14183 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:33 AM »
Anyone except me and Tasty watching Dirk Gently?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14184 on: November 20, 2017, 01:30:01 AM »
The first season was $5 on iTunes this week, so i bagged it. I'll check it out eventually. What do you enjoy about it?

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14185 on: November 20, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »

Oh shit really? Awesome.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14186 on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »

waiting for netflix

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14187 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »

waiting for netflix
I kinda like this as a slowly unfolding mystery tbh, I can see why people would want to binge though

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14188 on: November 20, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
I will watch Dirk Gently but I have so many shows to catch up on right now

TVC15

serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14190 on: November 20, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-13-release-date-2018-glenn-howerton-1201899154/

pray for Always Sunny.

If any of the gang cant make the season they should just put it on ice. I'd rather that than a horrible season that outright kills the series.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14191 on: November 21, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »
It's mostly okay though, they already have a 14th season guaranteed. And that ABC show will probably won't last long. Plus it could be fun to do some episodes to see how they exist without their leader, it's not gone well (for them) in the past.

Or they can probably shuffle Sunny's shooting schedule since they only do ten episodes a season and do them in really different ways from most shows. Remember, Katlin is doing The Mick just fine without it interfering with Sunny. (I assume that's related to the change in dates for Sunny.)

I wonder if they'd just have Dennis show back up randomly and nobody calls any attention to his having been gone.

The gang just sold a show to Fox too: http://deadline.com/2017/09/cool-kids-fox-comedy-pilot-charlie-day-kevin-abbott-its-always-sunny-1202161848/

TVC15

« Reply #14192 on: November 21, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14193 on: November 21, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »
ya thats really the main thing with super hero shows - they only become truly great when there is a good villian.

ie all the super hero shows are shit. you're right  :doge

etiolate

« Reply #14194 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Speaking of The Good Place: I hate mid-season breaks like this. Jan 4th? NBC why

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14195 on: November 21, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Finished Daredevil s1 last night. Probably take a small break before s2; DD was kind of a violent, teeth-gritting, depressing story. I remember the Frank Miller run on the comics, and it felt dark and dramatic, but not depressing. Shocking, but not gory. Vincent D'Onofrio was just about the only actor I can see pulling off that Kingpin role so well. Foggy and Karen were perfect. I like the actor who plays Matt Murdock, but he's missing something.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14196 on: November 21, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »

psa: out today friends

Beezy

« Reply #14197 on: November 22, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »
Rough times for Mary Crawley

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14198 on: November 22, 2017, 09:21:03 AM »
First two episodes of Search Party were fantastic. Wasn't sure since I thought the last season was a perfect end, but I love the idea of these characters trying to keep a lid on an enormous secret. Dory finally got the real-life adventure she spent the first season searching for in the most wish-on-a-monkey-paw way and it's great.
zzzzz

Cryo

« Reply #14199 on: November 24, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »
Mr. Robot is so fucking bleak this season and this episode handed out L's all around to the characters I like  :-\

Elliot being unable to cope with stage 2's aftermath and summoning Mr. Robot to take his place really reminded me of the beat down he got in S2.

Also, the scene with Mr. Robot and Irving makes me wonder whether this show is going to have a "happy" ending for Elliot or not.

Mobley and Trenton scene was tragic. 
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14200 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:54 AM »
First two episodes of Search Party were fantastic. Wasn't sure since I thought the last season was a perfect end, but I love the idea of these characters trying to keep a lid on an enormous secret. Dory finally got the real-life adventure she spent the first season searching for in the most wish-on-a-monkey-paw way and it's great.

It’s too early to say if this is accurate, but the first two eps and the season preview made it feel like they’d be mining Hitchcock-style tension this season. So far, so good. I really can’t wait for the next two episodes. Doing two episodes a week for 5 weeks was a great idea. IN MY VEINS!!!
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14201 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Man, Netflix even made The Punisher pretty damn boring. In mean, the character isnt some deep well of thoughtfulness. Dudes a human pitbul. So the ratio of character development to whiz bang showpieces was definitely on the wrong end. But having two characters talk about nothing costs less than a cool ass take down sequence so I guess I understand? Another Marvel show were even the thirteen episode length is felt.

One of the sex scenes had me dying though. Pretty Boy and Madani getting it in. I have no idea why they feel the need to show a dude fuck to completion Cinemax style on these sort of shows. It goes from sensual moment to damn I need to lower the volume a little.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14202 on: November 24, 2017, 10:40:59 PM »
going to marathon Godless in a bit :lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14203 on: November 25, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
Watched the first episode of Van Helsing, which claims to be inspired by the manga, HellSing? Is that correct? First episode was pretty good, but marred by uneven production. Most of the shots are tight, handheld, angled down — almost certainly to keep set costs down. Feels like a production from The Asylum, like Z-Nation or Sharknado with better actors and just a little more money. There is one panorama FX shot finally revealing an I Am Legend landscape, including wild deer running around town, so I'm happy they didn't try to just infer everything. I like postapocalypse and vampires, so I'm probably in.

Also finally watched the first ep of SyFy's grindhouse Blood Drive, a which feels a bit like Beyond Thunderdome's Bartertown meets Death Race 2000, except there are also girl Terminator robots, and the brunette makes a cop give her anal to get across the finish line alive. There was a lot happening. I'll watch it if it shows up on Netflix or Amazon in Japan, but probably won't spend money on it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14204 on: November 25, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »
Watched the first episode of Van Helsing, which claims to be inspired by the manga, HellSing? Is that correct?

Well I don't know the intent but Hellsing is not post apocalyptic, has Alucard as the main protagonist and its Van Helsing is female so they're fairly loose if that's the case.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14205 on: November 25, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
going to marathon Godless in a bit :lawd
Finished it, it's pretty good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14206 on: November 25, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
Watched the first episode of Van Helsing, which claims to be inspired by the manga, HellSing? Is that correct? First episode was pretty good, but marred by uneven production. Most of the shots are tight, handheld, angled down — almost certainly to keep set costs down. Feels like a production from The Asylum, like Z-Nation or Sharknado with better actors and just a little more money. There is one panorama FX shot finally revealing an I Am Legend landscape, including wild deer running around town, so I'm happy they didn't try to just infer everything. I like postapocalypse and vampires, so I'm probably in.

Also finally watched the first ep of SyFy's grindhouse Blood Drive, a which feels a bit like Beyond Thunderdome's Bartertown meets Death Race 2000, except there are also girl Terminator robots, and the brunette makes a cop give her anal to get across the finish line alive. There was a lot happening. I'll watch it if it shows up on Netflix or Amazon in Japan, but probably won't spend money on it.

Blood Drive is great, Van Helsing is solid but if you thought DD was too bleak boy have I got bad news for you.  Van Helsing, especially by the end of s1 and a good chunk of s2 (so far), is basically Nihilism The Show.

Himu

Stranger Things is terrible
« Reply #14207 on: November 27, 2017, 12:17:14 AM »
I'm on like episode 6 and bored out of my mind. The fact I will never get more of The Get Down and this feces of a show is so popular makes me really annoyed. What's wrong with Stranger Things? Let's start with literally everything. How in the fuck did this show cause this amount of buzz?
IYKYK

TVC15

Re: Stranger Things is terrible
« Reply #14208 on: November 27, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »
Himu spitting truth. It’s something Willco would have liked.
serge

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14209 on: November 27, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »
Tell me what you like so I can tell you how bad it is.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14210 on: November 27, 2017, 12:24:15 AM »
S1 starts very strong but like a lot of Netflix shows it slowly gets less interesting. The finale was quite disappointing. I like the cast and the concept though.

Haven't seen S2.

Himu

« Reply #14211 on: November 27, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
This show had a creeper take photos of a private party, including a girl taking her clothes off. The guys rightfully confront him about it and smash his camera. They are in the right. Yet the show wants you to empathize with the dude. Why? The girl whose picture was taken of herself half naked doesn't immediately freak out and instead tries to get closer to the guy, why exactly? You can say "her friend" but that's just a forced interaction (a way for her to find her friend sitting at the pool) and doesn't take away from the fact he's a creeper.

That's just one sample of the bad writing on this show. It's like it was written by robots.
IYKYK

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14212 on: November 27, 2017, 12:31:28 AM »
It’s p lame. I think the main appeal is 80s nostalgia?

Himu

« Reply #14213 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:54 AM »
There has to be more to it than nostalgia to get the kind of hype this show recieved?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14214 on: November 27, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »
Isn't it just an ET sort of thing in regards to said nostalgia? That's about the only thing I heard Twitter going ape-shit over, the nostalgia fuel.

Tasty

« Reply #14215 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:13 AM »
Was wondering when the next #HimuHotTake would land.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #14216 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:58 AM »
Isn't it just an ET sort of thing in regards to said nostalgia? That's about the only thing I heard Twitter going ape-shit over, the nostalgia fuel.
Kind of.  The creators took their favorite 80's movies and TV shows and threw them in a blender.  Sometimes they break the barrier between homage and ripoff though.

It's fine for what it is and I enjoyed both seasons, especially like the soundtracks.

Himu

« Reply #14217 on: November 27, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »
Was wondering when the next #HimuHotTake would land.

This is not a hot take. This is merely having taste.
IYKYK

Bore Expert

« Reply #14218 on: November 27, 2017, 02:36:52 AM »
I didn’t like it either. I just assumed I was guilty of wrong think so I never mentioned it on gaf. I once said there that I thought an episode of Better Call Saul was boring as shit and they reacted as if I’d kicked their dog.
 :idont

Himu

« Reply #14219 on: November 27, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »

"Isn't it just an ET sort of thing in regards to said nostalgia?"

I've been trying to parse this sentence the last five minutes. ET sort of thing? No. It has Goonies. Akira. Poltergeist. ET. X-Men. Freaks and Geeks and more  thrown into a blender.
IYKYK