Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3659792 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36900 on: May 13, 2021, 11:25:08 PM »
Spent hours on the Ancient Dragon to learn how to win hard ass fights with big tanky enemies that do AoE wipe attacks since it had a CPU union (their max HP was like 4,100HP and my Rush team has <2,000 HP) that could at least tank. At BR21 where I was with max 12 party was still hard AF and a lot of luck. Would've cleared a run but ran out of revive items in the fight and took a few more attempts.

Then used that knowledge to try to take out the Sand Dragon without a CPU team. Shit was so close at many, many points but I got lucky and the boss didn't AoE dragon breath too often and I just barely scrapped by on my first new attempt at BR22.

I feel like since I'm learning how to do this stuff now at low BR and with a max 12 party, when I finally unlock having more unions/units the game will get a lot easier or I'll be much better equipped to handle it now.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36901 on: May 14, 2021, 04:10:58 AM »
Toy Commander is fun
 I dont know wht theres no sequel
I don't think it did very well, Sega shut down No Cliche before the Dreamcast even was dead which killed both Agartha and a PC port of Toy Commander.

« Reply #36902 on: May 14, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
in my quest for cyberpunk while i wait for cyberpunk (2077). I found this weird game on steam that launched today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361680/cyberpunkdreams/

its a free, text based, card based, cyberpunk rpg. Seems odd as hell but sort of interesting and its free so  :huh

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36903 on: May 15, 2021, 06:25:00 AM »
You could always play the Westwood Blade Runner game if you never played that. GOG has had it since 2019 I think.

Then there's also the Shadowrun game on SNES and Genesis. Also the modern three games.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36904 on: May 15, 2021, 07:02:12 AM »
Toy Commander is fun
 I dont know wht theres no sequel
I don't think it did very well, Sega shut down No Cliche before the Dreamcast even was dead which killed both Agartha and a PC port of Toy Commander.

I mean what game on the dreamcast did "well" tho 😢

Sad that they shut the studio so quickly, I found it very fun.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #36905 on: May 15, 2021, 10:33:26 PM »
Just finished disc 1/part 1 in The Last Remnant about 30 hours in. That was pretty rad. Good exciting fights, lots of team build options, cool story stuff. This is a legit great jrpg.

And still got half a game left.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36906 on: May 16, 2021, 08:20:54 PM »

And the Democrats still haven't done shit, amirite fellas?
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #36907 on: May 17, 2021, 03:15:24 AM »
So the first quest I did in Part 2 of TLR turned out to be a troll quest that requires 3 hours of grinding and you get an item that does nothing for it. Called The Assistant.

:-\

Hopefully this is the only troll quest in pt.2!

« Reply #36908 on: May 17, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
You could always play the Westwood Blade Runner game if you never played that. GOG has had it since 2019 I think.

Then there's also the Shadowrun game on SNES and Genesis. Also the modern three games.

Been meaning to checkout blade runner, I actually have the og disc release but it never played right on the shooting section. I heard the gog release fixed that.

Loved genesis shadowrun back in the day, snes eh it was ok. The talking dog is all I remember tho.

Currently playing through yakuza 0 again on pc, this time gonna due the side missions too (beat the main story before but hardly did side stuff) after that I’ve never played any of the others but own them all (except 7) on steam I figure by then cyberpunk 2077 should be fixed or I’ll be dead of old age.  :D

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36909 on: May 17, 2021, 05:15:48 PM »
Wanted to play some more Resident Evil and never got to play Resident Evil 4 on Switch after I got it on a sale so why not.

Anyhow, this game progresses different from what I remember. I might be a Mandela effect thing, but I distinctly remember that when you first enter the village (and a house) Leon blocks the door with a cut scene and the chainsaw guy comes out.
Yet today, the chainsaw guy didn't appear until I left the house of the village chief. I also remember enemies would not attack from a large distance and instead were mostly scripted. For example, the valley section early on, if you wait and stay at the door the enemies will just come rushing towards you until the entire area is empty.

Now it might be just my memory playing tricks on me, but as I remember it was quite easy to find handgun ammo and difficult to find money.
Where as in my current playthrough, I'm finding a lot of chests and very few ammo boxes. Not to mention Blue Medals are marked on the map, making them very easy to find(?)

The last time I played Resident Evil 4 it was the Wii version and that one had a few bits and pieces changed.
I wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me or if this is some generic 'multiplatform' version of Resident Evil 4 that I haven't played before.
There's smaller changes too, like Leon can read the arrow sign posts. 100% sure that wasn't in the GameCube build aside from his comment on those creepy skull signs.

With all that said the gameplay loop of this game is still a solid 10/10
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:30:42 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #36910 on: May 17, 2021, 06:00:02 PM »
That should happen on all versions, you just need to go into the right house in order to trigger that cutscene.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36911 on: May 18, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »

Been meaning to checkout blade runner, I actually have the og disc release but it never played right on the shooting section. I heard the gog release fixed that.

Loved genesis shadowrun back in the day, snes eh it was ok. The talking dog is all I remember tho.

Currently playing through yakuza 0 again on pc, this time gonna due the side missions too (beat the main story before but hardly did side stuff) after that I’ve never played any of the others but own them all (except 7) on steam I figure by then cyberpunk 2077 should be fixed or I’ll be dead of old age.  :D

Interesting... lots of people praise the SNES (I only played a bit) but you very rarely hear people mention the Genesis Shadowrun, which I know is a completely different game.

Anyways, for me it's making steady progress in Berseria. Now about 30 hours in. I had to get a herb to cure a plague that was giving pirates fever, and trying to track down the disappearing pirate captain. Now sailing to the south island to decode some ancient book or something. Really like the game, more so now that I have gotten the battle system down a bit better. I just wish the dungeon design was a bit more interesting, whatever happened to the puzzles of earlier Tales games? This one's "puzzles" just seem to be 'push switch to open nearby gate'.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36912 on: May 18, 2021, 05:33:39 PM »
Man I completely forgot the insane pace of Resident Evil 4 and how everything wants to kill you

Resident Evil Village: "Here's a guard button and if you run out of ammo craft some more!"

Resident Evil 4: "Watch out for the parasites, duck for the axes and evade the 2 chainsaw ladies. Also mind the dogs, bear traps and your Parkinsons"

Really shows the difference between an 8/10 and a 10/10 masterpiece.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36913 on: May 18, 2021, 05:40:07 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't played Village beyond the first 2 hours (probably wait until I finish TLR since that's more fun), but my brother beat Village and said it was the easiest RE he's ever played and he was never low on life or running out of ammo.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36914 on: May 18, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
In about 3 hours of Resident Evil 4

- You killed 2 chainsaw dudes
- Murdered about 50 villagers
- Got infected with the virus
- You teamed up with Luis twice
- Had a run in with the Village Chief twice
- Could've missed an Ada easter egg
- Defeated the Lake Monster
- You find 2 bodies of murdered cops
- Defeated El Gigante
- Had the main villain explain the plot
- Located Ashley
- Found 15 hidden medals and two dozen treasures
- Got 3 different handgun types, shotgun, sniper and TMP
- Upgraded your inventory
- Acquired 3 different grenade types
- Consumed about 4 health upgrades
- Learned the rescue chopper was shot down
- Learned about the Parasite mutations
- You were called a pervert
- Had about 8 radio calls
- Fought about 8 - 10 different enemy types including 3 boss creatures none of which are actually 'bosses'
- Died about 5 - 10 times

In most modern games you've barely left the tutorial after 3 hours.  :doge
🤴

SmokyDave

« Reply #36915 on: May 19, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
I was about to be playing Super Meat Boy again, this time on Switch. Then I remembered they changed the soundtrack and killed the game dead for me. That fucking soundtrack was incredible, and now you want me to settle for some soulless shitty royalty-free sounding banjo? Pass.

Back to Thief Simulator then. Maxed out NG+ with the cloaking device. Filled my hideout with the stuff I've stolen lately because I've got $400k in the bank that I don't need. Got one of each car parked in the yard. Still robbing houses for fun.

Next up will be Boris The Rocket. I put an hour or so in to it, realised it's definitely my thing but a bit fast and stressy. Maybe pick it up again at the weekend.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36916 on: May 19, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Ikr the original OST made that game so great
What

SmokyDave

« Reply #36917 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
Ikr the original OST made that game so great
It kinda is, the way it loops makes repeated deaths and retries way less stressful because you were having a bop at the same time. The Battle of Lil' Slugger, C.H.A.D.'s Broken Wind, McLarty Party People.... it's just a fucking killer soundtrack. Only Streets Of Rage 2 tops it for me.

Still, got a lossless copy when I bought a version of the game years ago so can't moan too much.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36918 on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:36 AM »
Thankfully i have the ol 360 still hooked up so if i ever get the urge i. Good :p
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36919 on: May 19, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »
Beat Ori and the Blind Forest on hard. Pretty ehhh game. I liked the music. Might try and get a few more cheevos then delete it

Got Star Wars Squadrons ready for afterwards. Also been meaning to get into Hollow Knight in a meaningful capacity as well

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36920 on: May 20, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »
The cultist castle in Resident Evil 4 is still creepy af.

I think what makes RE4 especially tense is the slow reloading, combined with the poor FOV.
A creep walks towards you mumbling and all you can think is : "PUT THE SHELLS IN THE DAMN GUN" and then some guy grabs you from behind and starts laughing hysterically while Ashley screams.

Every room you enter you see 'something' that makes you go: "I'm fucked".
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36921 on: May 21, 2021, 02:42:27 AM »
Beat Ori and the Blind Forest on hard. Pretty ehhh game. I liked the music. Might try and get a few more cheevos then delete it

Got Star Wars Squadrons ready for afterwards. Also been meaning to get into Hollow Knight in a meaningful capacity as well

Did you play Ori 2? It's a lot better so you might like it more.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36922 on: May 22, 2021, 12:42:56 AM »
The cultist castle in Resident Evil 4 is still creepy af.

I think what makes RE4 especially tense is the slow reloading, combined with the poor FOV.
A creep walks towards you mumbling and all you can think is : "PUT THE SHELLS IN THE DAMN GUN" and then some guy grabs you from behind and starts laughing hysterically while Ashley screams.

Every room you enter you see 'something' that makes you go: "I'm fucked".

Cógedlo, cógedlo, cógedlo...

It's just such a good game in general. I replayed it on Xbox one a year or two ago and didn't put it down until I got all the achievements. Professional mode is so good

benjipwns

« Reply #36923 on: May 22, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
Been off my Digital Buffet game as I've been trying to setup my laptop as a big screen controller-focused RetroArch machine. This led to playing a bunch of random T-16/PCE games which really run the gamut from plain weird to total garbage to "really hope you like shooters with no continues" to the occasional gem like Military Madness which still holds up just fine. (Also some random Game Boy and Genesis games from around their launch windows just to compare.)

Other than that, I played some many hours of Barn Finders.

Bebpo

« Reply #36924 on: May 22, 2021, 01:58:47 AM »
For kind of a weird-era UE3.0 X360 jrpg, TLR can look pretty nice at times

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36925 on: May 22, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
Been off my Digital Buffet game as I've been trying to setup my laptop as a big screen controller-focused RetroArch machine. This led to playing a bunch of random T-16/PCE games which really run the gamut from plain weird to total garbage to "really hope you like shooters with no continues" to the occasional gem like Military Madness which still holds up just fine. (Also some random Game Boy and Genesis games from around their launch windows just to compare.)

Other than that, I played some many hours of Barn Finders.

Which PCE games? I was playing Legendary Axe last weekend... game still holds up quite nicely. And the Legend of Xanadu II, which has some lovely graphics for the system but unfortunately no fan translation yet.
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36926 on: May 23, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »
Played a bit of retro this weekend:

Bump n Jump (NES) - pretty fun, although simplistic... the original arcade game was from 82, Famicom version was 86, and it took till 88 to get to us. So it definitely feels very vintage and dated, but it's got some nice tunes and is entertaining. Almost impossible to make any progress without the continue code, and it's pretty tough to pull off the continue code because it requires holding buttons down on 2 controllers.

Steel Empire - fun steampunk-ish WWI shmup from Hot-B... definitely on the lower tier of Japanese devs but this game is pretty good. Nice music from Noriyuki Iwadare among others, though the SFX are kinda weak. Beat it on the easy difficulty, though the final battle drags on for wayyyy too long and they reuse bosses a bit much. It controls pretty smoothly, though there's definitely slowdown in parts. It's kind of a cult classic game but there are better shmups on Genesis.

Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road - if the original NES port is an F-, this is an F+... the game controls a bit better though you still move like you just shat your pants. Being able to strafe and attack/throw grenades helps with the control, and it's nice the levels don't drag on forever. We made it to the final boss but you can't do the continue code (the "ABBA" code) on him if you die. Music is actually decent and the bug/alien monsters are a bit more interesting than the generic vietnam jungle military shit of the first game (and a lot of other early NES games).
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #36927 on: May 24, 2021, 12:11:31 AM »
Which PCE games? I was playing Legendary Axe last weekend... game still holds up quite nicely. And the Legend of Xanadu II, which has some lovely graphics for the system but unfortunately no fan translation yet.
I was picking things semi-randomly by filtering in RetroArch by year so I got a lot of shooters that I played until I game overed, Legendary Axe was in there, played Neutopia for a while until I couldn't handle the collision detection on the sword anymore, Chew Man Fu and Cratermaze were both kind of interesting. Although the games aren't that great to play I really liked how both Final Lap Twin and World Class Tennis have RPG style quests in them. Especially since this is 1989. Bloody Wolf is kind of cool although I wish it had checkpoints. That's probably one of the earliest games with Red Barrels™ to blow up enemies with.

Speaking of old games and Ikari Warriors, since I'm futzing around with stuff in that vein, at the moment I am downloading the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection which was free on Amazon Games a while ago. Has a bunch of their stuff up until the Neo Geo and both the arcade and home console versions of some games. (Like the Ikari Warriors triology.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36928 on: May 24, 2021, 05:19:01 AM »
There was a free pack for logging into Fortnite, and I'm an idiot who jumps through hoops for free content, so I bit. That ended up playing an un-skippable movie that appears to be some kind of season kick-off, a culmination of a bunch of overwhelmingly vague "storytelling" -- but what was noteworthy was how smooth the transition was from pre-rendered to in-engine, when the final portion of the story was interactive. Sure, they're targeting a very specific rendering style, and the prerender was also from within UE, but it still struck me as quite an accomplishment. Smoothest transition between the two states I've ever experienced.

I'm playing State of Decay 2, still feeling like I don't know what I'm doing. I mean, it's a GTA game with zombies, but there's a bunch of base management stuff with prerequisites that aren't surfaced enough for me. Still love it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36929 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:58 AM »
Played Grasshopper's game that was part of the Short Peace project. Ranko Tsukigimi's Longest Day.

It's basically a runner styled arcade game infused with Suda51's writing. It goes completely off the rails in the final third changing both art and gameplay styles. It's only like an hour long, but has this arcadey quality to it where it's kinda fun doing multiple runs.

If they actually ported this to other stuff instead of it being stuck on the PS3 it might've possibly found a bigger audience. It could've done pretty well as a 5 dollar steam indie game. Still gotta watch the 4 short films that are a part of the package. One of them won the oscar for animated short that year, so I expect them to be quite good.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36930 on: May 24, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
I finished Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir over the weekend. It was okay; a little simplistic by modern VN standard and there were a few annoying parts where you're basically just selecting every option over and over again until the game decides you can advance, but it looks really nice and I enjoyed the story. I decided to go ahead and start The Girl Who Stands Behind, and the opening scene made me laugh at how much it seemed like the beginning of a BL. You're a naïve high school student that's run away from home, and you meet a handsome stranger that offers to let you live with him and solve mysteries.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But can you solve the greatest mystery of all...the heart? :uguu
[close]
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36931 on: May 24, 2021, 06:38:50 PM »
Man the Resident Evil 4 castle is so much bigger, difficult and tense than Resident Evil Village even though there is no vampire lady.

Resident Evil Village is like: "Here's a slow walking zombie with a sword, watch out"

Resident Evil 4 is like: "You liked those scythes thrown at you and those arrows in your legs? Maybe the dogs in the garden? Still ain't dead yet? Let me pull a gun turret out of the floor. That's impressive, maybe these knight armors should come to life. Want to enter the door? Not before you evade these rocket launchers and catapults. You're pretty good aren't ya even made it past the lava pool, well we still have a bug nest waiting for you. What a mess, I guess we'll just use a trap door. This elevator takes 4 minutes, 4 minutes. Why don't you go play with an invulnerable predator until it arrives."
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36932 on: May 24, 2021, 07:42:57 PM »
After finishing Village, I started playing Metro Exodus again. The enhanced version looks so good at times, the lightning can be fantastic, but it still got its eurojank as well with random low res stuff or skybox that randomly looks like a ps2 game... But it's also just a lot more fun to play than I thought it would be.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36933 on: May 25, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
I messed up my save file in the intro so I never continued playing Metro Exodus, should definitely return sometime.
Meanwhile the adventures of Leon S. Kennedy have made it to the island where he encountered a bunch of Amateurs and purchased the Killer 7 gun.

That "Castle" is something else though. Walking statues, Indiana Jones mines, the works. :doge
🤴

« Reply #36934 on: May 25, 2021, 08:02:50 PM »
idc about review scores, i'm playing biomutant. it's fun.

« Reply #36935 on: May 25, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #36936 on: May 26, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »
Demi, I give you props on your 1,000/1,000 The Last Remnant.

The endgame optional stuff is ridiculously hard. There are fights where if you haven't spent the last 30-40 hours building your party very specifically for this fight (The Fallen) you're fucked. I guess that's why NG+ exists and some of this optional stuff would be a lot more approachable on NG+, but I'm not really interested in replaying the game after.

Had to skip The Fallen after smashing my head against it for too long including a ton of grind and team building. The DLC bosses still one shot my parties and I get the feeling the final super-bosses are gonna be impossible with my team I've built up.

Probably one of the top3 toughest jrpgs I've played. At least the main story stuff is ok so far. Challenging but doable.

*edit* actually it's not that bad. It's tough but probably not top3. Some of the DLC bosses just need certain levels, I'm almost at the level where I can take down some of them and made some good progress even underleveled. A few are hard af though, so the optional bosses are definitely fucking hard.

I think I have almost all the 1000/1000 achievements except for The Fallen and fighting 30 enemies in a single battle, which maybe Jhana Royals DLC superboss would trigger. The rest of the achievements aren't too bad. But The Fallen is some real bullshit since it's only available between 2 quests for like 5 mins.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:13:10 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36937 on: May 26, 2021, 04:30:31 AM »
yeah bitch i didnt without the EZ mode changes the other versions got. real gamer hours. built different.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36938 on: May 26, 2021, 04:32:59 AM »

If you have fun thats all that counts.
What

benjipwns

« Reply #36939 on: May 26, 2021, 04:36:08 AM »
I tried My Team probably for the first time ever, lmao that mode fucking sucks too.
MyTeam :nope

MyCareer :ohyeah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36940 on: May 26, 2021, 05:09:57 AM »

It looks like the kinda game I predicted it would be in the Game releases thread. I compared it to Outward as one of those hidden gems that some love and some hate. Looking at the way it was scored it seems right on the money.

« Reply #36941 on: May 26, 2021, 06:21:11 AM »
I played about 5 hours of biomutant so far. It’s pretty fun, but really weird. The world seems huge but it’s also really claustrophobic. It reminds me of that Amalur game. Too many valleys and forests, not enough open fields like BOTW.

I turned down the narrator and character gibberish, but it didn’t seem to work. I’ve already started skipping dialogue.

Combat is actually not bad. It’s pretty weightless, but there’s a lot of moves and new things get unlocked often. Recommended for people who like these kind of crappy European games.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36942 on: May 26, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »
Finished Resident Evil 4

Goddamn that shit was good again  :whew
Will probably pick up RE5 + 6 on sale next time.

RE5 I never got the hate. That game is completely bonkers in a good way.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36943 on: May 26, 2021, 06:31:30 PM »
RE5 classic  :punch

◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #36944 on: May 26, 2021, 07:10:48 PM »
RE5 is fine, it's just coming from RE4 it's pretty blah location/fights/enemies-wise and it's a forced co-op game with a kinda shitty AI partner if you don't have a friend.

Probably about as good as RE3R and better than RE0/RE6.

« Reply #36945 on: May 26, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »
Ok, 5 more hours of Biomutant. It’s actually really fun now. I got to a more open area of the world, a lot of neat things to find. Tons of buildings with interiors.

Unlocked some more combat skills and built some weapons from scratch. I really like the gun crafting system. Made a machine gun with like infinite bullets and fast reload time. Also got some new weapon types, but I think the dual wielding swords are the best still.

There’s a light and dark system which is super half baked. I invested into light and saved some guy from getting executed, but he called me a loser and didn’t let me free him. The audience there to watch him die was like mind your own business you nerd.

Bebpo

« Reply #36946 on: May 27, 2021, 04:24:41 AM »
Ok yeah beat Last Remnant. If you do all the sidequests you fight the ultimate version of the final boss and instead of being based off your battle rank (which would make sense) it’s based on mostly simple sidequests and so I ended up like 50 hours underleveled for the boss. Still almost beat it on the first try, got it from 1.9 million HP to 300k before it wiped everyone in one shot from Max HPs.

Luckily had an older save before doing the last two sidequests, did that and fought the one rank down version and he had 600k and his full party wipe AoEs only did like 30-50% damage and he went down easy.

I feel like some of this stuff is meant for a 2nd run.

Bebpo

« Reply #36947 on: May 27, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »
Ok, I beat the True final boss in The Last Remnant after some grinding and the DLC bosses including a tougher version of him but with less HP.

This game is awesome but there are a few fights like the final boss that are just way too RNG no matter how much you control it. The boss uses this all party status effect spell that tends to paralyze everyone and then it's just RNG on what commands come out next turn or two and if you can recover the paralyze, heal your party, boost the morale meter up (because at low morale his end of turn moves wipe everyone). It's kind of bs, I eventually nailed it on my 2nd attempt but man it was so close. Stupid RNG stuff like no one getting a healing option on a turn where he is going to wreck and kill everyone and you're just stuck watching everyone die and trying to recover next turn. And not getting morale boost options which practically doom you.

Other than a few of the fights, the rest of the game is legit great with tons and tons of satisfying boss fights between story bosses, dlc bosses and the hundred or so rare monster bosses. Learning how to use the battle system and boost morale and hit with special weapon/character arts consistently is really rewarding.

The story was actually fine, nice adventure across a bunch of unique towns, lots of unique characters to recruit and they have their own backstories, nice music and art. Took me about 60-70 hours doing everything with speed hack boosting. Pretty long game. Man, watching the videos on youtube of the X360 version without turbo mode feels like slow motion since I'm running turbo mode + 2x game speed for battles.

The new game+ is pretty weak, there's definitely some advantages but having to learn all your skills from 0 and all your stats from 0 is basically starting all over. In SaGa Frontier 1 Remaster the NG+ kept your skill arts you've sparked and learned which made it a lot more fun to replay.

Overall I'd say The Last Remnant is a solid as fuck 9/10 jrpg. It's not as good as SaGa Frontier 1 Remastered, but it's damn good and addictive and better than most of the jrpgs we got in that X360/PS3 generation.

Now gonna get back to RE8 and Fantasian and then probably jump into SaGa 2 Remake on DS.

Bebpo

« Reply #36948 on: May 29, 2021, 05:06:38 AM »
Steam is running a quality music focused game selection right now. Was flipping through streams and a lot of really great music indie stuff. Convinced me to pick up The Longest Road on Earth which is basically pixel art interactive fiction with a nice soundtrack. Played a bit and enjoying it. Basically just like listening to an album but with some pixel art, stories and slight interactivity.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36949 on: May 29, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »
After completing RE4 I picked up Resident Evil 5 during the Xbox sale to continue the anniversary celebration.

The game is more action focused but pretty awesome. Chris is a tank  :mynicca
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36950 on: May 29, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
Also picked up and played through Teenage Blob a 22 min game that feels like something Suda51 would've made in school.

Bunch of mini-games to songs, lotta style, pretty good!

I give it 3 out of 4 naked rockers grabbing each other.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36951 on: May 29, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »

Reminds me of this early game by the Hotline Miami guys.

Bebpo

« Reply #36952 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
Yeah, reflecting on it, it's less Suda and more an iNiS (Gitaroo-Man/Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents) game.

Bebpo

« Reply #36953 on: May 29, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
So this led me down the rabbit hole of looking up what iNiS is up to and if they're still in business after becoming nothing but a karaoke-machine blackhole since 2008 abandoning all original music game ideas.

And I found out they made a mobile music game with Yoko Taro for SE in 2012 called Demons' Score?? And of course because all these Japanese mobile games that they diverted talent to for the last decade are lost to the void after a year or two and never ported to anything, there's no way to play it.

Watching a youtube walkthrough of it now.

*edit* they also released another music mobile game for SE that year Symphonica, also lost to the void:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:59:45 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #36954 on: May 29, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »
Further looking into the state of iNiS in 2021, they changed their named to Liona Interactive and they're pretty alive and maybe healthy working as a sub-contractor for parts of various anime/licensed games. Last game they worked on was a mobile Eva game last year.

Pretty nice website. Kinda a shame they aren't able to stand on their own anymore. Guitaroo-Man and EBA are some of my favorite games.

https://www.liona.co.jp/works/

benjipwns

« Reply #36955 on: May 29, 2021, 05:09:12 PM »
A piece of real slavchunk called Realpolitiks currently on sale on Steam, though I have it on GOG from some previous sale for $3. It has some interesting aspects but it's more fun just messing around causing international trouble than it is trying to win the scenario*. You can form blocs and eventually combine nations in Unions. So far I've seen an East Asian Union form from a bunch of the -stan countries. Also if you play as Angola you can form an African Liberation Front that is basically every middle African nation from the DR Congo down to South Africa but not them and it encourages you to... "invite" the rest of Africa into the Union through your new military might. Bangladesh likes to join India a lot and China tends to unite the Chinas pretty easily. Also there's a bunch of NGOs and crap that also want things done. Maybe the weirdest part is how casually nuclear weapons are used with nobody caring.

There's a sequel that just came out, that's why the sale I think, which will probably tighten up the graphics on level three and other stuff but I'll definitely wait for it to be $3 again rather than it be something I'll get right away.

*therefore it's highly accurate amirite

Bebpo

« Reply #36956 on: May 30, 2021, 01:18:38 AM »
Started playing some Lo Fi Ping Pong

At first I thought this was a super fucking hard rhythm game because you fail instantly and have to get through the whole sing without missing a beat. Cleared the first 3-4 songs that way. Then I found the option for no-fail and the game is a lot more relaxing which a lo fi game should be. Decent rhythm game, music so far is solid though no Kind Words.

Bebpo

« Reply #36957 on: May 30, 2021, 01:43:54 AM »
So the 2nd problem this game has is the tracks are like 33-40 seconds long and that's it. Which is just too short for a music game, especially a lo fi one. You want to chill to lo fi music for a while, not listen to like soundcloud previews of each track and then move to the next. It'd be one thing if when you fail the music doesn't stop so it keeps looping until you clear but it restarts from the beginning each fail.

Idk, this feels more like a proof of concept itchi.io kinda game that needed some more time in the oven and better design. It's a bit frustrating because it could be real neat, but it's just kinda eh. For $1.49 game it's fine, but I'm gonna run through all the songs in 30 mins and never touch this again.

Bebpo

« Reply #36958 on: May 30, 2021, 01:47:31 AM »
Wait, wtf the Switch version is like a whole different and more polished game wtf.

One of the issues with the PC version is your only choices are instafail, which is annoying for a music game even in 30-40 second bursts, or no-fail which is too easy. I was thinking it really should just give you 3 lives...and the switch version gives you 3 lives! So you can miss 3 times before fail the song.

Also a better UI and cover art for the songs.

Bebpo

« Reply #36959 on: May 30, 2021, 02:03:51 AM »
Just putting this on in the background is better than playing the game because no breaks between tracks