Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084465 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11880 on: September 29, 2015, 11:41:25 PM »
Agents of Shield  :bow2

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11881 on: October 01, 2015, 01:26:46 AM »
Blindspot is pretty fun in a Blacklist way.

Limitless is way better than I expected. But I had really low expectations. Also, I'm a sucker for explanatory voiceovers, like Burn Notice.

Rosewood is lol.

The Player is amazing because it has to be the dumbest thing ever, but everyone on the show is super serious and they have some of the most useless and terrible looking "ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY." And all the ham-fisted gambling and probability references.  :aah

THE PLAYER: "You can't predict crime, there's too many variables!"
WESLEY SNIPES (PLAYING HIMSELF): "One would think, but there's one constant: human nature."

Haven't watched Quantico or The Grinder yet. Was also going to watch Minority Report to see if it was terrible as expected or could surprise like Limitless.

benjipwns

« Reply #11882 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
Also, as I noted in the hatewatch thread, Gotham suddenly realized a regular old police procedural is wasting what's supposed to be unique about the insanity of Gotham. Cops vs. regular TV serial killers = not using your resources.

tho lol at people complaining the one guy is ripping off heath ledger when he's clearly basing his "red herring faux-Joker" on jack nicholson's fun loving insane dude (but he shot a guy on "his team" just like ledger! yeah, so did jack. but he made a video talking to gotham! yeah, so did jack. but he was going to burn an entire bus of high schoolers alive! oh...wait...)

The "soft-reboot" Gotham did getting rid of Jada Pinkett-Fish from the regular plots and then the show and making Penguin a crime boss and introducing actual arcs at the end of the first season combined with how this season started, may completely be throwing the Batman chronology and canon out the window, but it makes for an infinitely better show closer to the Gotham Central type deal I was expecting.

Also, whatever happened to Renee Montoya? And the Crispus Allen stand-in? Everybody knows these shows need two leads and then two other fellers to bring in key information that should have taken hours to days to acquire. Like on Castle.

Sausage

« Reply #11883 on: October 01, 2015, 01:54:08 AM »
Trevor Noah is pretty solid

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11884 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
Narcos is pretty :whew

I knew almost all of the Escobar stories already but putting them all together and the dude is a real life supervillain.
vin

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11885 on: October 01, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

it's lit

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11886 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:40 PM »

[close]

it's lit

Did this, like, skip a year or something?

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11887 on: October 01, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »

I knew almost all of the Escobar stories already but putting them all together and the dude is a real life supervillain.

Makes me glad I never read Killing Pablo. I know enough of the history from this and that to know the stories were real, but I still have enough distance from it to just enjoy it as a good series.
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11888 on: October 02, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »

[close]

it's lit

Did this, like, skip a year or something?

I think there's gonna be a little jump yeah. Remember the era this is in, and how it would take months for any kinda organized retaliation after what happened last season.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11889 on: October 02, 2015, 12:35:40 AM »

Makes me glad I never read Killing Pablo. I know enough of the history from this and that to know the stories were real, but I still have enough distance from it to just enjoy it as a good series.

I wouldn't expect Bill O'Reilly to write a book about a South American.
AMC

Freyj

« Reply #11890 on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
I just binged the shit out of Mr. Robot.  :lawd

That fucking Where Is My Mind scene.

[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11891 on: October 03, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »

Once you go black  :ufup
[close]

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11892 on: October 03, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
Reviews for the first four episodes are really good. Can't wait.

That teaser reminded me how much I miss the music.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11893 on: October 03, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
Started Luther. Three episodes in and I'm kinda ehhh :yeshrug

It's ok. Not a fan of the monster of the week structure, which seems to get more ridiculous with each episode. The first ep set quite a standard for fuckery.

I was watching the pilot with someone and I was like "oh shit, she hid the gun inside the dog," just throwing it out there. My lady friend busted out laughing and called bullshit...and lo and behold the murderer did indeed hide the gun inside the dog.
:dead
[close]

And I'm upset my nicca Idris' hair isn't brushed. I get that he's supposed to be an obsessed cop who doesn't have time for basic shit like brushing his hair but god dammit. Don't let my black brother take an L like this.
:brazilcry

It's a good show but it checks off every box for cop/detective drama cliches.  Also them using the word "guvna" is hilarious to me
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11894 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
I really liked the fourth episode of Luther, which was less ridiculous in terms of the killer.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11895 on: October 03, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
Reviews for the first four episodes are really good. Can't wait.

That teaser reminded me how much I miss the music.

:aah

Can't believe there are people out there that whine and bitch that the music doesn't "fit" the time period. Fucking dumbass plebs.
OH!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11896 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
I really liked the fourth episode of Luther, which was less ridiculous in terms of the killer.

The show gets better and better each season.

There was talk of a movie that wraps things up at the end but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen.  Oh well.

Edit: I'm watching Veep and only the first season is available for free on Amazon.  It's an alright show but the premise isn't clicking with me but that isn't a surprise consider how I did not care much for The Thick Of It.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #11897 on: October 06, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
The Trump is an African President bit was great. Not that they couldn't have done it with Jon, or anyone, but he added some personal twists to it that I liked.

He still sorta seems like he's doing an impression of John Oliver doing Jon Stewart at times though. I also noticed that the crowd isn't getting over-the-plate jokes they used to go crazy for because he's not making faces or scribbling or whatever Stewart would do in the same situation to inform the audience it was a joke and they are now instructed to laugh. There was one in the Trump segment I thought you could tell he was disappointed that it just went by unnoticed. Early John Oliver episodes of both The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight had similar moments in them.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11898 on: October 06, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »
shield :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11899 on: October 07, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11900 on: October 07, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11901 on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

We have Amazon.co.jp Prime, and steaming video /just/ started here. I wonder if this will be aired...

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11902 on: October 07, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Halt and Catch Fire   :lawd

my God this show. Just finished season 2. Dear Lord give this another season  :tocry

Might just be because I'm fresh from it but I'm feeling it up there with the greats
___

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11903 on: October 08, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11904 on: October 09, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11905 on: October 09, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
It's lit

dkdk

« Reply #11906 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
Halt and Catch Fire   :lawd

my God this show. Just finished season 2. Dear Lord give this another season  :tocry

Might just be because I'm fresh from it but I'm feeling it up there with the greats

S3 is a go :blessed

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11907 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11908 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/on-set-steven-soderbergh-the-knick.html
Soderbergh has now directed 20 hours of a lavish costume drama at the speed of a run-and-gun indie film: Both seasons wrapped, according to The Knick co-creator and co-writer Jack Amiel, in about 150 days, “which is less time than a lot of crews would spend shooting one big movie.” The Knick shoots eight to nine script pages a day, double the typical rate for a TV drama, and burns through an hour-long episode in just seven days, versus the industry norm of ten to 14.

Soderbergh is fucking crazy

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11909 on: October 14, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Fargo's back and still very, very good.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #11910 on: October 15, 2015, 04:13:11 AM »
Decided to finally check out some of these Amazon series, watched about half of Red Oaks - Which is an alright Wes Anderson/Appatow-style coming of age indie comedy.  Nothing particularly wrong other than lacks the style to make it stand out like Anderson films do and lacks the script to make it stand out like Appatow movies do, but it's enjoyable and easy to binge.  Also started the first few eps of Transparent since that's apparently the high point of Amazon's list and yeah, daaaaamn the directing and cinematography is A++, good writing and performances and nice music too.  Really feels like a top of the line film, not like a TV show; wish Red Oaks had direction of this quality.  Looking forward to the rest of the show. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11911 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
Luther might not be for me brehs. The last arc of S1 was just too ridiculous for me, again.
Setting up Luther for the murder of his wife made a lot of sense. However everything afterward was as convoluted as possible, turning what could have been an interesting finale into quite an eye rolling disaster. I guess this is a show where a genius detective gets (nearly) everything right and figures out what people are going to do 2-3 steps before they get there. His plan to take the crooked cop down was so dangerous. First off I still don't see why his ex's bf would even trust him in the first place. Then the whole thing with Luther somehow not getting shot by the snipers on the roof...nah fam.

:beli
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11913 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »
"...and I convinced the woman to come to my hotel room"
"acting sounds like the greatest job in the world"
"well, her husband was there watching"
"acting sounds like the weirdest job in the world"

Black Batman taking no losses :rock

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11914 on: October 16, 2015, 01:59:13 AM »

First episode of Nathan For You S3 just aired.

For me, this is the funniest show GOAT. This type of cringe humor really resonates with me, and at times it's so goddamn uncomfortable.

It's also a really enduring look into people and how they deal with that awkward tension, usually in ways that will reaffirm your faith in humanity.

I like how despite fucking with all these people, the joke usually falls on Nate himself.

Fremdschämen :lawd

Steve Contra

« Reply #11915 on: October 16, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
Luther might not be for me brehs. The last arc of S1 was just too ridiculous for me, again.
Setting up Luther for the murder of his wife made a lot of sense. However everything afterward was as convoluted as possible, turning what could have been an interesting finale into quite an eye rolling disaster. I guess this is a show where a genius detective gets (nearly) everything right and figures out what people are going to do 2-3 steps before they get there. His plan to take the crooked cop down was so dangerous. First off I still don't see why his ex's bf would even trust him in the first place. Then the whole thing with Luther somehow not getting shot by the snipers on the roof...nah fam.

:beli
[close]
It's strange that you haven't mentioned what EVERYONE ELSE IN THE UNIVERSE LOVES ABOUT THE FIRST SEASON
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11916 on: October 16, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
What?

Steve Contra

« Reply #11917 on: October 16, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
 :maf
vin

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11918 on: October 16, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
https://tvline.com/2015/10/16/defiance-cancelled-season-4-syfy/

Only watched the first episode ever. Should I bother someday watching the rest?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11919 on: October 17, 2015, 02:10:12 AM »
The Knick is the only horror tv show currently airing

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11920 on: October 17, 2015, 02:42:51 AM »

No. Defiance does pretty well through s1, but s2 ends up making the characters less empathetic, and s3 starts off by treating the characters with (homicidally) rough hands. It has sat unwatched after I gave up the MMO; I had grown very disappointed with the show.

I also see that Dominion, the Legion-based TV show is done as well. Good riddance. I was excited to see a post-Rapture/alt-christian drama, but it was just predictable and stupid.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11921 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:13 AM »

No. Defiance does pretty well through s1, but s2 ends up making the characters less empathetic, and s3 starts off by treating the characters with (homicidally) rough hands. It has sat unwatched after I gave up the MMO; I had grown very disappointed with the show.

I also see that Dominion, the Legion-based TV show is done as well. Good riddance. I was excited to see a post-Rapture/alt-christian drama, but it was just predictable and stupid.

See I thought s2 for the most part was much better than s1 Defiance. Every character felt more realized to me. Free from the chains of the game they could actually do stuff in the universe. S3 dips down a lot but has a good ending they probably saw the cancellation coming. Went out well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11922 on: October 17, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
Yeah, there was less "90210" about the drama, and it became more dangerous feeling overall, but by the end of it I was trying to figure out where it would go next. To be honest, there's enough of a fan following that they could continue it in novels if they like. But I don't think the SyFy crew is forward-thinking enough to try it.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11923 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
This is England '90  :tocry

Sort've don't know where to begin? Anyone else watch the other series'/movie?
___

Bebpo

« Reply #11924 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:04 AM »
Red Oaks - This was really weird in the end.  It's basically not a TV show, but a 5 hour version of a 2 hour coming of age 80s movie except that it has a single episodic TV show episode in the middle at ep7 (which is weird in itself) and then suddenly in the final 2 eps it goes from a fun, somewhat charming indie dramedy that's just peaked at ep8, to 2 eps that are rushed, badly directed, and super downer negative plot directions on almost every subplot and feel completely out of place with the tone of the show and then it just ends.  Really, really weird.  That Soderbergh producing effect?

Up through ep8 I liked it quite a bit, but those last 2 eps kind of brought it down and it's just ok.  I'd watch a S2 if that happens.

Still some great acting by the main 4 or so people.  Nice music selection.  If you like 80s coming of age/romance movies it's worth a watch and easy to binge.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11925 on: October 18, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
Finally watched all my s1 and s2 Venture Brothers, start-to-finish. Thought about buying s3 onward, saw that I own some kind of movie-length s5 thing where "26" is in a Cobra Army style outfit for S.P.H.I.N.X. and Monarch is trying to woo him back. The animation is much lower quality than s1~2, so I'm torn now on buying more. I am kinda curious about the overall story arc though, so I'll eventually cave.

Caught up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I still love this show more than I should.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11926 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
Huh? Early Venture Brothers episodes are cave drawings compared to where they're at now

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11927 on: October 19, 2015, 03:09:42 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11928 on: October 19, 2015, 05:28:16 AM »
Huh? Early Venture Brothers episodes are cave drawings compared to where they're at now

I'm... old and hate change...?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11929 on: October 19, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »

I'm... old and hate change...?

If you're into the characters I would just get over it imo. It's worth it. Pretty much everyone from s1 vbros is fairly different by s5. Save maybe Rusty. The boys and Brock in particular see a lot of growth but a ton of the side characters do as well.

Tasty

« Reply #11930 on: October 19, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
I thought early Venture Bros. looked fined. ??? Also had some very funny writing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11932 on: October 21, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
I'm really not feeling this season of Fargo. Which is very disappointing cause I like some of the actors and I love the 70's as a setting.

Anthology shows have been one season wonders.

Thought the second episode was a lot better than the first but yea. No sense of urgency, of impending doom like the first one had.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11933 on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
start of ep 2 of the s2 the knick

:lawd

“Over the years, I committed a petty crime here and there. It’s how a man survives in this city. But the two who dragged me into serious malfeasance are a society lady and a fuckin’ nun.”
[close]
:rejoice
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:07:54 AM by toku »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11934 on: October 24, 2015, 03:57:30 AM »
Been rewatching Fargo S1 for the benefit of my missus, and it is still great. One thing I liked is the episode at the middle which has a ton of red herring,

Grimly almost make the connection between Malvo and Stavros, Malvo looks like he might harm Grimly's daughter, Dmitri Stavros tries to tell his father that the locust thing is a scam...
[close]

none of which pans out. Dead ends happen in life.

Had no issue with the first episode of S2. It doesn't feel like the film, yeah, but I'm willing to cut some slack to the team there and see where they want to go with all this.
ὕβρις

mormapope

« Reply #11935 on: October 24, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
I just finished watching Season 1 Fargo, speaking of the devil.

Fargo as a movie is mainly about personal justification and the consequences that follow. Every character that had a terrible fate justified their own amoral feelings and mindset, which leads to consequences, which then leads to more justifications for the shit people get themselves into. Being humble and modest in a world filled with terrible justifications means you're spared a grisly fate (unless you're put in the path of justification).

Fargo as a TV show, it has some of that, but that entire theme is put on Lester's shoulders and only Lester's shoulders. Malvo is a cool headed monster, and that's it for his character. Lester justifies his actions due to being treated like shit from everyone, and deciding that its his turn to reap what he wants.

Besides Lester's justifications, its a show about nothing. Bob Odenkirk's character is seemingly mentally distinguished mentally-challenged. Molly is good natured and a great detective, which pays off in the end. Malvo does terrible shit for money, and he's good at it. Good meaning he gets incredibly lucky and the Fargo TV universe is filled with dumbasses.

Overall, Fargo season 1 is show filled to the brim with contrivances when it comes to actual story events. While the execution of said events is fantastic. Tons of dumb things happen, and its really entertaining how things unfold. Season 1 is solid when it comes to cinematography, tension building, and characterization for Lester and Molly.

Its a solid show that's entertaining, but its greatly overrated. I think the movie is great, and I watched the first season not wanting the movie to be replicated. For how many Fargo influences were in the show though, the ball was dropped when it came to executing on the main theme from the movie.
OH!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11936 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »
start of ep 2 of the s2 the knick

“Over the years, I committed a petty crime here and there. It’s how a man survives in this city. But the two who dragged me into serious malfeasance are a society lady and a fuckin’ nun.”
[close]
:rejoice

breh can we take a moment and recognize the brilliance of the sound design of this show, and how brilliantly it blends into the soundtrack? The hallucinated sounds Thackery hears were like percussion to the soundtrack. And music wise, those vocal samples during the Sunday school scene.

The look on Nurse Elkins' face during the sermon

yall don't understand. that's the face of a person who has seen the outside world only to be dragged back into the cave of religion. I know that feel. When you look around and realize you're surrounded by people who never experienced the beauty of pussy, or dick in her case.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11937 on: October 25, 2015, 01:33:52 AM »
Still feel bad for Birdy man. Dude stays being the last person to get it. He really should leave  :-\

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11938 on: October 25, 2015, 03:31:07 AM »
Me and my brother were wondering why the fuck Black Batman would pick Thack to do the surgery over Birdie lol. Scust.

I feel for Birdie. Nice guy, I love his chemistry with Black Batman; he treats him as an equal more so than anyone on the show IMO. Breh is always doing the right thing and look what it go him. Nothing.

Thackeray throwing the concept of virginity in the bushes :lawd

mormapope

« Reply #11939 on: October 25, 2015, 03:40:43 AM »
What I don't get, is couldn't Algernon operate perfectly fine with his right eye? You only need to see out of one good eye. I'm guessing he doesn't want to expose having a weak eye, since that would be used immediately to dismiss him from the Knick ("You're black and don't have perfect vision!?!?").

Otherwise, I'd imagine he would eyepatch his bad eye so his bad vision doesn't distract him.

Also, that new doc wanting to sniff and examine hooker vagina immediately was hilarious/perverted as fuck.

Dr. Thirst: "Why are you getting those?"

Lucy: "So they can rest their feet."

Dr. Thirst: "Nonsense. They can rest their legs on my shoulders."

OH!