Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084501 times)

Bebpo

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12600 on: July 19, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »
Nice.  I still haven't been able to make it through Jessica Jones since I like the comic too much and am fairly blah and how they adapted it, but Luke Cage has become one of my favorite comic characters lately in my Marvel 2005/2006-ish reading and there aren't any particular stories that make him great, just his character.  So whatever they do with him should be fun to watch.  Plus I'm assuming it'll have JJ and Iron Fist show up. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12601 on: July 19, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »
o yaaaaa

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12602 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
Nice.  I still haven't been able to make it through Jessica Jones since I like the comic too much and am fairly blah and how they adapted it, but Luke Cage has become one of my favorite comic characters lately in my Marvel 2005/2006-ish reading and there aren't any particular stories that make him great, just his character.  So whatever they do with him should be fun to watch.  Plus I'm assuming it'll have JJ and Iron Fist show up. 

SMH

Bebpo

« Reply #12603 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »
Jessica Jones is a single 2 issue comic arc drawn out for 13eps.  That's more stretched than Daredevil!  Show is kind of boring, although Ritter does a good job with the character as does Tenant and Colter.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12604 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »
:piss2

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #12605 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:02 AM »
I stopped watching both Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 2, I don't really know why.
brb

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #12607 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »
last episode of Stranger Things

:preach

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12608 on: July 21, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
last episode of Stranger Things

:preach

Is it an anthology, meaning the finale was the final ep of this particular story? Or will S2 continue the same story? I'm going to start it this weekend.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12609 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
It appears to be a potentially (no confirmation on S2) ongoing series. But, just 8 episodes in the first season, and if they do renew I hope they don't go much past that.

I personally thought things went off the rails a bit in the last episode.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #12613 on: July 22, 2016, 12:08:38 AM »
It appears to be a potentially (no confirmation on S2) ongoing series. But, just 8 episodes in the first season, and if they do renew I hope they don't go much past that.

I personally thought things went off the rails a bit in the last episode.

I thought it was cool but hope they leave this as is and if they decide to kove forward it would be a completely new story

Bebpo

« Reply #12614 on: July 23, 2016, 04:56:26 AM »

oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12615 on: July 23, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »

oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man.

Odin's Day!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12616 on: July 23, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »
Agents of Shield season 4 will be about Ghost Rider. 

Bebpo

« Reply #12617 on: July 23, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
Agents of Shield season 4 will be about Ghost Rider.

Gaf thread said shitty low-budget ghost rider with a mask tho

Real johnny blaze being saved for film properties.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:38:35 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12618 on: July 23, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
AoS has been pretty damn good in terms of special effects.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12619 on: July 23, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
Too bad everything else about the show is shit. It's whatever though. Danny Ketch will always be #myghostrider #thingsonly90skidsremember

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12620 on: July 23, 2016, 03:22:43 PM »
:piss2

Yulwei

« Reply #12621 on: July 23, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
Eric Andre S4 next month :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #12622 on: July 23, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Too bad everything else about the show is shit. It's whatever though. Danny Ketch will always be #myghostrider #thingsonly90skidsremember

Man, I'm a 90s kid but I always thought GR was Johnny Blaze.  These new guys are all new to me and I don't remember Danny at all  :'(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12623 on: July 23, 2016, 07:57:19 PM »
Binged Bojack Horseman S3, it was positively excellent. Great balance between the overarching story, the absurd setups and payoffs and individual episodes doing their things (With an almost concept like episode when Bojack goes to a festival). The writers are also pretty good with the fourth wall and fake nostalgia stuff (it's maybe a bit too present). It's still in that strange place where it's not funny on a strict pacing but I had a couple of nice chuckles... despite how dark it is.

Lisa Kudrow's character is out but Angela Bassett's in :lawd
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12624 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #12625 on: July 25, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
Another week, another terrible episode of Preacher that completely misses the point/tone of the comics.  I'm trying to think of the last adaptation of anything that was so butchered and steered down the wrong direction because the people adapting it don't get the original source material at all.  I mean I have pretty big issues with Game of Thrones adaptation from S3 onwards, but compared to Preacher, GoT is like a page by page recital of the novels.

The ridiculous thing is the creators actually bullshitted non-stop before the show aired about how OH MAN THIS SHOW GONNA BE CRAZY, WE'RE DOING ALL THAT COMIC STUFF, NO HOLDING BACK, NO DUMBING DOWN, which is 100% a complete lie from the first 9 episodes of the show.

At least there's only 1 episode left for the season, so something can happen finally and the season can end and I'll drop this show and never think about it again.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12626 on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:29 PM »
BTW TVC catassed the rest of Stranger Things in a single sitting and said it was pretty good.  SMH.
vin

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12627 on: July 25, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »
I'm enjoying Preacher but mostly because my wife has no idea about the source material so it's all pretty neat to her. I *like* what they are doing, but yeah, it's barely the comic adaptation I was expecting.

I just started The Night Of and I'm going to keep watching. It seems ok.
rub

dkdk

« Reply #12628 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »
Another week, another terrible episode of Preacher that completely misses the point/tone of the comics.  I'm trying to think of the last adaptation of anything that was so butchered and steered down the wrong direction because the people adapting it don't get the original source material at all.  I mean I have pretty big issues with Game of Thrones adaptation from S3 onwards, but compared to Preacher, GoT is like a page by page recital of the novels.

The ridiculous thing is the creators actually bullshitted non-stop before the show aired about how OH MAN THIS SHOW GONNA BE CRAZY, WE'RE DOING ALL THAT COMIC STUFF, NO HOLDING BACK, NO DUMBING DOWN, which is 100% a complete lie from the first 9 episodes of the show.

At least there's only 1 episode left for the season, so something can happen finally and the season can end and I'll drop this show and never think about it again.

i thought the whole 1st season was supposed to be a prequel basically. then the 2nd season starts the real stuff.

i enjoy the show but i never read the comic so its all new to me.

Dennis

« Reply #12629 on: July 26, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
Vice Principals episode 2. Well that escalated quickly.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12630 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »

The pilot was decent but really by the books when compared to Eastbound and Down.

The 2nd episode is great and the show has its own identity at this point. Its a lot darker and sadder than Eastbound and Down. Walton Goggins once again proves hes one of the greatest actors of all time.

If I had to guess the end result of these two characters, people are going to get murdered at some point.
OH!

Dennis

« Reply #12631 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:22 PM »

The pilot was decent but really by the books when compared to Eastbound and Down.

The 2nd episode is great and the show has its own identity at this point. Its a lot darker and sadder than Eastbound and Down. Walton Goggins once again proves hes one of the greatest actors of all time.

If I had to guess the end result of these two characters, people are going to get murdered at some point.

The tone does indeed seem to be a lot darker than I expected. The trailers seemed a lot more lighthearted.

And yeah, the first episode was alright but nothing special. But now I can't wait for the next episode.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12632 on: July 26, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
All of Jody Hill's work so far has been colored by this brutal dark shit. Definitely check out Foot Fist Way if you guys haven't.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12633 on: July 30, 2016, 12:39:46 PM »
stranger things was fantastic :rejoice
püp

Dennis

« Reply #12634 on: July 30, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
stranger things was fantastic :rejoice

Hearing good things on GAF as well. I should give this a watch.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12635 on: July 31, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »
Stranger Things is the best thing I've watched this year so far. Followed closely behind by Voltron.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #12636 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:22 AM »
Preacher S1 finished and was terrible imo.  Show runners completely went in the wrong direction and spent 10 hours getting through 1 comic issue worth of material.  While it's sort of at the same place as issue 2 now, they've really messed up most of the important characters tonally and so whatever way it goes it's already a mess.  My guess is they'll take one arc from the comics and stretch it out 10 episodes for S2.  Won't be watching it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12637 on: August 06, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12638 on: August 07, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
Watched the first season of Boku no hero academia. That was surprisingly great for me. I had heard good things but I was skeptical but it was better than I thought it was going to be. It's Harry Potter meets Super Heroes but I liked it a lot more than Harry Potter or most super hero content.

I liked the fun winking nods at Americana. I'm not generally a huge anime guy but its the most entertaining one I've seen in years.

Tasty

« Reply #12639 on: August 08, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »

You'd even be there.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12640 on: August 09, 2016, 06:16:09 PM »
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12641 on: August 09, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »
Shame he's a black hero. I just can't relate.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12642 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
Deep down I like to think I'm a 6'4 bullet proof black dude so I can't help but relate. 

Dennis

« Reply #12643 on: August 09, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
Vice Principals Episode 4 was great. Episode 3 was a bit of a letdown compared to 2 but now we are back up.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12644 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
I like Danny McBride but episode 3 was too much of him.  Walton Goggins steals the show as per the usual but he's a nice counterbalance to McBride's over the the top acting.
🍆🍆

dkdk

« Reply #12645 on: August 09, 2016, 11:03:36 PM »
so i've been watching Gossip Girl on Netflix.

gone through about 2.5 seasons in 3 weeks.

a couple observations for anyone else who has watched it
- serena and lily are thots my gaaaaaaaaawd  :whew the vanderwoodsen name should be dust in the streets after the shit they do
- i count about 3 characters i actually root for: nate, chuck (actually surprised at his development. his scenes feel like they're almost in a different show), and jenny (as much as she screws up for some reason i always think she's going to wise up
- the rest are all largely hateable.
- the music is glorious. nostalgia triggered
- so many now famous & talented people came from this.

Tasty

« Reply #12646 on: August 11, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #12647 on: August 12, 2016, 02:31:23 AM »
Stranger Things - Watched ep4/5 tonight and the show picked up thankfully at ep4.  I felt like ep1-3 was good, but they weren't filling their run length of 50 mins and the pacing was too slow and stretched.  Ep4 things started moving and ep5 continued being well paced.  Probably will watch the last 3 eps next time I get a chance to watch it.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #12648 on: August 13, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »
Watched the first episode of mr robot and thought it was really stupid. Feel like I'm missing something. Am I supposed to think it's stupid?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's going The Beautiful Mind route right?
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12649 on: August 13, 2016, 12:34:04 PM »
I also watched the first 4 episodes of Stranger things. I liked it quite a bit. I enjoyed the slower pacing and how it focused on the characters. It felt like an early Stephen King novel when he wrote compelling character pieces like Stand by Me.  (The Body)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12650 on: August 13, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
I don't mind the show going for a few seasons. It's when it starts reaching seasons 6,7,8 etc where I go bullshit.

In an ideal world shows like this would only go 2 or 3 seasons but money....

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12651 on: August 13, 2016, 10:34:46 PM »
Night Of is frustrating as hell. On the one hand, the show is fantastic when it comes to acting, direction, editing, and atmosphere, but on the other, it's fucking boring.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12652 on: August 15, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »
Best episode of Vice Principals yet
🍆🍆

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12653 on: August 16, 2016, 01:18:01 AM »
Penny Dreadful S3E6

how the fuck does she not know she's fucking Dracula
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12654 on: August 16, 2016, 01:33:36 AM »
Penny Dreadful S3E6

[close]
WHY DID I READ THAT?  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #12655 on: August 16, 2016, 02:21:14 AM »
Finished Stranger Things - It was good, but I know it goes against the grain...nothing special.  Like I rarely felt it was running great at a high, maybe 3-4 parts throughout the whole show, the rest was just sort of ok.  The kids were great, especially Dustin, but the whole dynamic was fantastic.  If the show had been nothing but the kids, I'd agree with the hype.  But scenes with the kids are maybe half of the show?  Feels like less than that.  Everything else ranges from sometimes good, mostly coasting and sometimes pretty dull. 

I don't think there was a single episode where I didn't pull my phone out and internet browse at some point because I was bored.  I don't normally do that watching TV shows, maybe Jessica Jones.  But most good shows like The Knick, Mr Robot S1, Better Call Saul, True Detective S1, I'm glued to the set and can't wait to load up the next episode.  Almost never felt that way with Stranger Things.

Yeah the music was good, and the title credits were a nice throwback, It's better than Turbo Kid for sure.  It's good, but just sort of 7-8/10, hey it works, good.  Also the monster ended up being super lame, but maybe that's just since I'm a big horror fan and I've seen tons of monsters that this looked like a straight to TV sysfy channel one. 

It wasn't a bad watch, but just not my thing in the end.  Would have liked more X-files/Tales from the Crypt/Twilight Zone-esque darker/creepier.  Played it too safe & family friendly for my tastes.  I'll skip S2.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12656 on: August 16, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »
Penny Dreadful S3E6

[close]

Bruh I even put the episode number

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12657 on: August 16, 2016, 03:04:05 AM »
Penny Dreadful S3E6

[close]

Bruh I even put the episode number

:picard

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #12658 on: August 16, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev