Author Topic: Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi/Whatever Warriors Thread  (Read 365905 times)

magus

• LIKES FF7
Re: Warriors/Basara Thread: One Piece Kaizoku Musou 3, Dragon Quest Heroes!
« Reply #660 on: March 29, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
i can understand where bebpo is coming from,walking from one group of enemy to the other most of the time is a pointless chore,that's why missions where they stick you inside an arena are nice
<----

Himu

« Reply #661 on: March 29, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Right now my team is Hanbei, Zhou Tai, and Tachibana and I am wrecking shit. Zhou Tai in particular is a fucking beast compared to DW7.

Surprisingly, I'm not big on Wang Yuanji in WO3 even though she is my main in DW7. In DW7, she's really fun mostly because of weapon change. I find Wang Yuanji with her throwing knives with a bow as her secondary weapon makes some of the most beastly and creative combos in the game. Not so much in WO3, you really don't really need to work to get creative with Yuanji in this one and she's boring to play as.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #662 on: March 29, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
Picked this up and played a few missions. There's definitely a bit of running around back and forth on the maps but taking a speed character with you/riding a horse negates some of the tedium there. Having played SW3 on Wii it's nice to get the Sengoku peeps in proper HD again, and thus far I think the declaration that this is the new top musou game over DW7 could be a valid one. I'd play more if I didn't feel like passing out from the flu. :-X
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Warriors Orochi has always been the best Koei musou game.
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #664 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
zhou tai is the MAN. he is an unstoppable iaigiri monster. boost his reach and the attribute for strong attacks and JESUS CHRIST 3000+ KILLS/MAP.

i also use nemea for poking the generals to death (and for chucking his motherfucking NIBELUNG VALESTI musou into crowds of nasty archers), and nene to speed run across maps/tie up huge combos.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:34:14 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #665 on: March 29, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
One downside I don't like is that if you lose the stage, your characters lose all progress made throughout that level.

I was playing a level on Chaos and got defeated during an enemy's musou attack.  About 40 minutes of progress gone :(
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #666 on: March 29, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »
Sun Xiang Shang's R1/RT attack = instant death

I forgot how overpowered she was since I haven't played the J version in a few months.  I put her on my team without leveling her up first and STILL beat the shit out of everyone on the stage I played with that attack.  :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #667 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:26 AM »
Himiko just butt raped me 4 times fml
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #668 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
himiko on hard is a cunnifred. her pot lasers are a one-shot kill, and her musou comes out FAST
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #669 on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:26 AM »
just replaced nene with nuwa. nuwa is ABSURD.
duc

Himu

« Reply #670 on: March 30, 2012, 01:31:42 AM »
himiko on hard is a cunnifred. her pot lasers are a one-shot kill, and her musou comes out FAST

yep, even on normal. I'm thinking of bumping it to hard. what level are you?

and zhou tai continues to rape faces
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #671 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
chars are level 44. hard is perfect -- poop troops are a credible threat, but not annoyingly so.
duc

Trent Dole

« Reply #672 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
I've died a few times on Normal. :o
Hi

Spurgeon

« Reply #673 on: March 30, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I just picked this up on account of you guys. I haven't touched the series since Dynasty Warriors 4.

You all better be telling the truth.

Trent Dole

« Reply #674 on: March 30, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
Yes, come join us in the wonderful world of musou faggotry. Join uuuuus. There's a menu in the base camp where you can look over your characters and listen to monologues from them. People in the most recent battle will be celebratory of all their ko's and some people who haven't been used in a while/at all will lament that fact. :lol
Hi

Himu

« Reply #675 on: March 30, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »
Everyone knows Luo Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and likewise, Chen Shou's Records of the Three Kingdoms.

But what's good literature (mostly non-fictional) that someone interested in Sengoku Period Japan can use to read up on the background on all the characters featured in Samurai Warriors? I'm familiar with Nobunaga Oda because I was obsessed with the figure in High School thanks due in part because of Nobunaga's Ambition line of games. But I never really learned much beyond the battles he fought, the people who supported him, and his general historicity. I even wrote a paper on one of his famous rain battle campaigns in History class.

Gosh I have a hard on for history. And people say you can't learn from games!
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #676 on: March 30, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
Yes, come join us in the wonderful world of musou faggotry. Join uuuuus. There's a menu in the base camp where you can look over your characters and listen to monologues from them. People in the most recent battle will be celebratory of all their ko's and some people who haven't been used in a while/at all will lament that fact. :lol

It's crazy how much detail they put into some of these games.  Just having like 150+ famous voice actors in one game is something you'd never see anywhere else in the world.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #677 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
I've died a few times on Normal. :o

It can happen, depending whether you get caught up in a Musou attack.

I've been alternating between Hard and Chaos.  If I'm trying to build up a new character, I will play on Normal.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #678 on: March 30, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Hard mode is the best balance ever. Archers can FUCK YOUR SHIT UP. MUSOUS WILL ONE HIT KILL YOU. But at the same time, it's not annoying and it's not a grind and it brings out the full potential of the combat system.

Even the Easy-tier missions are a challenge because staying above 30% health isn't as easy as you think on hard mode.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:14:55 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #679 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
PS: Hayabusa, Zhou Tai, and Tachibana is the team that keeps giving.

:bow
IYKYK

Trent Dole

« Reply #680 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
Just stuck with recommended teams but I'll second the hell out of Zhou Tai and Ginchiyo being fucking badass. Zhou's always badass.
Hi

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #681 on: March 31, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
I didn't know that you could converse with generals and have them unlock additional stages.
🍆🍆

Spurgeon

« Reply #682 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Any beginner tips? Seems like I'm clearing maps in spite of myself. I haven't bothered with the features in the camp like weapon creation and such.

Should I stick with recommended teams or go for someone in particular?

Himu

« Reply #683 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
General tips:

- First check out move lists. Go to officer info in the menu and press X (360) or Square (ps3). You'll see their move lists. Move lists expand as characters level up (for the most part).
- DW characters have ex attacks. they'll unlock their ex after a certain level.
- SW characters are mostly charge attack based.
- DW characters do a musou that uses up a portion of their musou gauge and it's just one animation.
- SW characters don't require you to do a musou. Press B/Circle to activate it. You can do anything you want, but if you want to activate the musou, hold the musou button.
- When you unlock new characters do what I do, if you think they look cool, put them on your team, go to battle of Yiling (first stage) and set it to normal (or easy if you prefer). If you like their base move set, keep them and level them up. If you don't, drop them.
- Using "suggested officers" is only good for story purposes (aka these are the characters this map involves) and because it'll make the game more challenging.
- Use triple musou on enemy officers as much as possible for gems and crystals.

Weapons/loot:

- don't bother with buying weapons until you get access to four star weapons and lots and lots of crystals.
- completing maps will unlock better loot just beating them, and this will be more than enough without resorting to wasting precious gems.
- for weapon fusion, just pick the base weapon you want the other weapon to fuse into. First, you want lots of skill slots for your weapon of choice. Check out the skills on each weapon before you fuse and do this with a plan. So if you have a character who's real fucking strong (Zhou Tai) put some Courage on that sword (Courage increase attack). You can also stack skills. So if one weapon has courage and the next also has courage +2, your fused weapon will have Courage +3. Keep doing this until you have the weapon you want.
- Low level weapons are great for fusing to create more slots and that's their greatest benefit. So if you have a bunch of leftover shitty weapons with shitty skills, fuse them until they have 8 skill slots, saving your weapon list some room for the really good shit.

Bonds:

- Fighting with characters raises bonds, whether they're on your team or if they're just friendly officers in battle.
- On chapter 2, you unlock the teahouse. Use that to raise bonds with gems earned in battle.
- Change characters frequently while in camp because sometimes officers will show up, talk to them and you'll raise your bond with them.
- Some stages require high bond in order to unlock. Do all of the above until the stage unlocks. So if your bond with three characters is low, try making a team of those three characters and play a few maps with them and abuse the teahouse until the stage unlocks.

Playing the game in general:

This is a good video that shows that Koei makes more than button mashers

Action starts at 1:59

Enjoy!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #684 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »
Oh, and when you find your footing and start to massacre stages on normal, bump it to hard for a real treat. You'll appreciate the game even more.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #685 on: April 02, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
i've decided to check it out to join you guys but yeah after finishing the first chapter,my experience is really close to dynasty warrior 7 in that i enjoy all the unlocking aspect and the character but find the rest of the game to be just kind of monotonus and dull,actualy dynasty warrior 7 had that kickass story mode,now there is this non-sense stuff about demons and hydra :(

i've been playing on normal but i don't think i would get much more of a kick if i bumped it to hard,using recomended team on each level,i don't really get SW characters... you do their musou simply by keeping B pressed right? cause they feel a lot weaker than DW musou

at least there is no liu bei :smug
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:25:52 PM by magus »
<----

Himu

« Reply #686 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
play on hard
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #687 on: April 03, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »
well allright i tried a mission on hard and i don't really see the appeal of that,the enemies have huge health bar and 3 hits take almost all my life bar,but that just encourage me to use hit and run tactic since the musou gauge and health of unactive member recharge while i'm escaping which makes the game even worse

besides the problem isn't "the game is too easy,button masher hur dur" it's just that it doesn't feel there's enough variety to hold everything together,it's especialy bad when you do a 20 minute missions with one of the character "dying" in it (like the one with lianshi) and then the game goes "ehy now re-do it again!" in dynasty warrior 7 there was the story mode to distract me from that but here,there's nothing,there is not even the excuse of the character since a lot of them aren't much different from dynasty warrior 7 anyway

maybe i should have jumped ship completly and tried that gundam game,didn't they remove all the animu music tough?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:40:51 PM by magus »
<----

Himu

« Reply #688 on: April 03, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
I like WO3 story mode a lot, but I'm familiar with all the characters. Musou games are all about fanservice. You'd be hard pressed to get into Dynasty Warriors GUndam without having watched most of the shows involved.

The fun in Wo3 story is seeing your favorite characters and their allegiances and how they band together to kick demon ass.

If you're doing bait and run tactics to increase musou gauge, you may be the problem and not the game, since I never have to do that.

If story is your issue, DWG3 won't do you any favors. Its story mode is far worse than WO3's, and their stories are similar in that it's a mass pile of characters from different series' in one big awesome sandwich, but whereas WO3's story is fun and interesting, DWG3's story is atrocious and I'd go out of my way to skip scenes.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #689 on: April 03, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
i have never watched anything gundam related (maybe a few episode of gundam wing because they did it on tv) but i think i can dig giant anime robot more than ancient chinese warriors (except cao cao,none can rule his mustaches)

besides making such a switch involve every character being new,where here i keep getting stuck with familiar character which is another reason why i'm not enjoying myself much with WO3
<----

Himu

« Reply #690 on: April 03, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
The characters may be familiar but for the most part they have different move sets than they did in DW7 so I don't see how it's really relevant.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #691 on: April 03, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
well if there are character with different move sets than what they had in DW7 i haven't seen them,sima zhao still surf on people,sun shang has still a shitty musou......
<----

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #692 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
Is there a game that magus isn't a contrarian douchebag about?
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #693 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
well if there are character with different move sets than what they had in DW7 i haven't seen them,sima zhao still surf on people,sun shang has still a shitty musou......

If you want different movelists, play with Samurai Warriors characters, they have more variety.

For example, Hanbei is very charge attack based. So you'll often go normal -> charge -> charge -> charge or even charge -> charge -> charge. Combined with RB/R1 attacks and you have a very wide move palette. Each move has its own strengths and uses and finding how and when to use them to do the coolest fucking combos is fun.

Tachibana is very normal attack based but every single one of her normals can be canceled into a charge.

There should be enough Samurai Warriors characters and other characters to interest you. As for DW7 characters with different move lists, Jia Xu for instance seems pretty helluva different. The only characters I think that are still clones are Wang Yuanji and Zhu Rong but that's because they both use knives.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #694 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
at the very least, unlock ayane and ryu before you fully judge it.

Last night I had the hardest time on Magoichi Saika's map with Joan of Arc. Holy shit, I died at least 10 times and this was on hard. You have to defend Joan of Arc, Saika, AND make sure that Saika's troops aren't all taken out. So you're zipping across the map protecting at least four different forces from being overwhelmed by the orochi rear guard.

Fucking amazing map.

Clearing it felt like a real accomplishment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:48:16 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #695 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
wouldn't that break the recomended character tough?

besides as i said,the musou of every SW character feels really weak,to the point i'm still not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if it's just because they are level 1,you just keep the musou button pressed right?

at the very least, unlock ayane and ryu before you fully judge it.

eh already did it tough i haven't had the chance to use them,the ninja gaiden remix was a nice change of pace in music
i stopped playing after unlocking those two because the game went "ehy,you should totaly replay this map and go rescue lu meng"
seriously that's the worst part of the game >:(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:44:59 PM by magus »
<----

Himu

« Reply #696 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
Why the fuck are you using recommended character and not who you want to use? On hard mode, that doesn't matter.

Level 1 characters aren't that great. My Tachibana can clear mobs almost as well as my Zhou Tai.

I don't mind replaying maps because that's how I play. Whenever I unlock a new character, I go to Yiling (the first map) and try them out on it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #697 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
That's why you're having to use bait tactics, you're using level 1 recommended officers on hard mode.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #698 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
i tought there was some sort of advantage into playing with the recomended team?
<----

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #699 on: April 03, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
the character musou has two purposes: 1) break a juggle; 2) cancel an enemy general's musou. damage/crowd control is secondary.

you take down generals with the trinity attack. you clear crowds with EX strings and R1 "special" attacks. build your character wepons and items to boost normals, strongs (ESPECIALLY strongs), and specials. fuck musous.

Y U MUSOU NOOB?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:52:48 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #700 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
God damn Omega Force has been on a roll lately. Ginchiyo is still awesome, gonna get Yue Ying going on, Pang De is just too OMG
o_0

Himu

« Reply #701 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »
Last night I had the hardest time on Magoichi Saika's map with Joan of Arc. Holy shit, I died at least 10 times and this was on hard. You have to defend Joan of Arc, Saika, AND make sure that Saika's troops aren't all taken out. So you're zipping across the map protecting at least four different forces from being overwhelmed by the orochi rear guard.

Fucking amazing map.

Clearing it felt like a real accomplishment.

Speaking of Magoichi Saika. He has the COOLEST move list.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:21:52 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #702 on: April 04, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
Holy shit, the Battle of Xuchang
IYKYK

Trent Dole

« Reply #703 on: April 05, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
Nobunaga's Pokemons is coming to NA as Pokemon Conquest on June 18th. :hyper
Hi

Himu

« Reply #704 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
Who gives a fuck. Give me a REAL Nobunaga. Nobunaga's Ambition: Tendou is on 360 and ps3. PLEASE BRING THAT OVER.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

« Reply #705 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »
Who gives a fuck. Give me a REAL Nobunaga. Nobunaga's Ambition: Tendou is on 360 and ps3. PLEASE BRING THAT OVER.
If it's on 360 the outlook of it coming west is promising.
Hi

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #706 on: April 05, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
I have Zhou Tai, Ginchiyo Tachibana, and Nemea to over level 50.  Now I'm clearing stages on Chaos like it is nothing.

Also, lottery tickets are awesome.  I was able to get three and four star weapons relatively early on, turning the three generals above into killing machines :hyper
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #707 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:21 AM »
If it's on 360 the outlook of it coming west is promising.

no it's not the game came out in 2010
IYKYK

Trent Dole

« Reply #708 on: April 06, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
welp :-[ :-\
Hi

« Reply #709 on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
I hope the EU version of WO3 is compatible online wise with the US version.  I decided to import the EU ps3 version because I don't really want to be chained to a  digital only copy.  Guess I'll be nabbing some PSN cards for DLC.

Himu

« Reply #710 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »
Tell Koei Tecmo Japan (in English!) how you like WO3 and your past Warriors games history.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/wo3_na
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #711 on: April 07, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
Tell Koei Tecmo Japan (in English!) how you like WO3 and your past Warriors games history.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/wo3_na

Done.
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

« Reply #712 on: April 07, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
WO3 is pretty amazing.
DW7 is pretty amazing.
DW Next is pretty amazing.
Samurai Warriors Chronicles is pretty amazing.

Omega Force is rockin it these days
o_0

Bebpo

« Reply #713 on: April 07, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
You forgot DWG3!

And I agree, the teams are on the top of their game these days.  Except for the team that did FoTNS & One Piece.  Those are ok, but definitely B/C-tier musou games.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
Ah good catch also Samurai Warriors 3Z is pretty awesome too.

I gotta disagree on FotNS, it was great considering the source material. I havent played one piece though.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #715 on: April 07, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
is kaizoku musou america-bound?
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
I think so.

Himu

« Reply #717 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
is kaizoku musou america-bound?

trademarked, yesh
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
I gotta disagree on FotNS, it was great considering the source material. I havent played one piece though.

FoTNS is good, Bebpo said he hasn't played much of these games at all so no idea why he is ranking them.

One Piece does feel more shallow in terms of content and while still enjoyable enough, I think it's the "worst" of all these Musou games.  However I'm also a way bigger FoTNS fan than I am a One Piece fan.   :)
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #719 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
Eh, FoTNS is good for FoTNS fans and very accurate to the show.  One Piece is good for OP fans and very accurate to the show.  If you aren't a fan of either series and just look at them as musou games, they don't really compare to the quality of something like WO3.

I don't think they are bad games, but in the lower tier than the A team games.